Politics
Trinamool MLA’s daughter-in-law moves court alleging domestic abuse
In a major embarrassment for the ruling Trinamool Congress in West Bengal, the daughter-in-law of a senior party leader and MLA has moved the court levelling domestic abuse charges against the latter’s family.
The lady also claimed that despite lodging several complaints at the local police station, the police refused to take any action because of the political clout of her father-in-law.
Trinamool MLA Khageswar Roy is a three-time legislator from the Rajganj constituency in Jalpaiguri district, and the petitioner is his daughter-in-law, Pinky Roy.
The petitioner got married to the MLA’s son, Dibakar Roy, in 2019.
In her petition, Pinky Roy has complained that she had been subjected to mental and physical torture by her husband and mother-in-law, Pratima Roy.
“I also informed my father-in-law about the mental torture inflicted on me, but he took no action. I have also approached the police station seeking justice, but they did not act because of the influence of my father-in-law. So I have approached the court which has ordered an inquiry into the matter,” Pinky Roy told mediapersons.
She said the court has ordered the police to probe the matter and file a report by June 12.
Khageswar Roy, however, denied the allegation, and termed it as a “political conspiracy”.
“All the allegations are fabricated and there is a political conspiracy to malign my image. However, I have faith in the legal system and judiciary. I am sure that the truth will come out,” the Trinamool MLA said.
At the same time, Roy has faced criticism from within his own party following the revelations by his daughter-in-law.
The Jalpaiguri district president of Trinamool’s SC/ST/OBC cell, Krishna Das, launched a scathing attack against the legislator over the issue.
“How can a person be a leader of the masses if he does not behave properly with his own family members? The party cannot run with such leaders on board,” Das said.
Maharashtra
Shocking! Rickshaw Debris Pulled Out Of Sewage During BMC’s Desilting Drive

Mumbai: A video has surfaced online from the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation’s (BMC) ongoing pre-monsoon desilting drive, showing civic workers pulling out the debris of an entire rickshaw from a sewage drain, once again highlighting the scale of waste clogging Mumbai’s drainage infrastructure ahead of the monsoon season.
the debris of a heavily damaged rickshaw was recovered during desilting operations being undertaken by the BMC. Visuals from the video show the upper portion of the rickshaw completely destroyed, while the lower frame remains partially intact, holding the vehicle structure together as it is lifted out of the sewage system.
The caption accompanying the viral video further claimed that the rickshaw was not the only unusual object found during the desilting exercise. It stated that civic workers have also recovered a complete set of sofas and luggage bags from major sewage channels during the ongoing drive.
The visuals have once again brought attention to the kind of waste accumulating inside the city’s drainage network and the larger issue of civic responsibility. Large debris dumped into drainage systems can significantly obstruct water flow, increase pressure on sewage infrastructure, and contribute to waterlogging during heavy rainfall.
Mumbai witnesses recurring flooding concerns every monsoon season, with clogged drains often emerging as one of the key factors affecting stormwater discharge across several areas of the city. Civic authorities undertake large-scale desilting exercises annually before the onset of monsoon in an effort to improve drainage capacity and reduce flooding risks.
As per data shared on the official BMC social media handle, as of May 20, 2026, major sewage desilting works across the city have recorded an overall progress of 80.39 per cent. Meanwhile, desilting work along the Mithi River has achieved an overall progress of 53.13 per cent.
The resurfacing of videos like these also raises broader concerns regarding waste disposal practices and public civic sense, particularly as Mumbai prepares for the arrival of monsoon, a period during which efficient drainage systems become critical for preventing flooding and maintaining urban resilience.
Maharashtra
Virar Citizens Protest Demolition Drive In Arnala; Police Block Lal Bawta March, Sit-in Held On Road

Virar: On Monday, a large number of citizens took to the streets to protest against the demolition drive conducted by the Revenue Department against unauthorized constructions in the Arnala area. Under the leadership of the Lal Bawta (Red Flag) party, a protest march (Morcha) was organized heading toward the residence of MLA Rajan Naik. However, to prevent any law and order issues, the police intercepted the march near the Nala Macchi Market area. Angered by this, the protestors staged a Dharna (sit-in protest) right on the road.
The Revenue Department had recently taken action against houses built on government land in the western part of Virar Arnala. During this drive, several huts and structures were razed to the ground, leaving numerous families homeless. Coming right on the threshold of the monsoon season, this action has sparked intense anger among the local citizens. Allegations have also surfaced that this drive selectively targeted only certain houses under political pressure.
According to Sheru Wagh, a leader of the Lal Bawta party, MLA Rajan Naik had raised this issue during the legislative assembly’s monsoon session, prompting the Revenue Department to act. However, instead of executing uniform action against all unauthorized constructions, only specific families were allegedly targeted.
The march had commenced on Monday morning from the Nirmal-Wagholi area, seeing participation from hundreds of tribal citizens and local residents. The protestors intended to confront MLA Rajan Naik at his residence. However, the police deployed heavy security in the Nala Macchi Market area and blocked the march from advancing further.
Once blocked by the police, the protestors sat down on the road to continue their agitation. They shouted slogans, expressing deep resentment against the administration and public representatives.
Protest leader Sheru Wagh alleged that tribal citizens are being held hostage through illegal demolition practices. He demanded that since the monsoon is just a few days away, the displaced families must be rehabilitated immediately. Furthermore, he insisted on an official inquiry into the demolition drive and strict action against those found guilty.
International News
PM Modi gifts ‘Melody’ to Giorgia Meloni, revives viral ‘Melodi’ moment

Rome, May 20: Prime Minister Narendra Modi presented a light-hearted and unique gift — a “Melody” toffee packet– to his Italian counterpart Giorgia Meloni, bringing back the widely popular “#Melodi” moment that has often gone viral on social media.
The informal exchange, marked by laughter between the two leaders, was later shared by the Italian PM on Instagram, where she also spoke about the gesture and the gift received from the Indian Prime Minister.
Sharing the video of the moment, Meloni said, “Prime Minister Modi brought us a gift — a very, very good toffee — Melody,” as both leaders were seen sharing a laugh during the interaction.
She further added in her caption, “Thank you for the gift.”
The “Melodi” phenomenon — a portmanteau combining the names of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Giorgia Meloni — has become a recurring viral trend online, reflecting the visible personal rapport and friendly exchanges between the two leaders during various international engagements.
The term has frequently been used by social media users to highlight their light-hearted interactions at global platforms, often turning into viral moments that generate memes, discussions and widespread online engagement, while also symbolising a perceived strengthening of India-Italy relations.
Earlier in the day, visuals and pictures from a special dinner hosted near the iconic Colosseum in Rome also attracted significant attention online. The two leaders were seen sharing a casual moment, including a smiling selfie and a relaxed interaction that quickly spread across social media platforms.
They were also seen standing on a balcony enjoying the sunset over the historic city of Rome, adding to the series of informal and friendly exchanges that have characterised their public appearances.
The viral ‘Melodi’ trend originally gained momentum after Meloni posted a selfie on X during the COP28 summit in Dubai, where she captioned it, “Good friends at COP28, #Melodi”. Till then, Melodi was just a meme hashtag used by Internet users.
Since then, the duo has frequently drawn attention for their warm greetings, handshakes and cordial interactions at multiple international events, including their widely shared selfie at the G20 Summit held in New Delhi.
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
