Connect with us
Tuesday,26-October-2021

Bollywood

Bombay High Court junks Kangana Ranaut’s plea against defamation case by Javed Akhtar

Published

on

Kangana-Ranaut

The Bombay High Court on Thursday dismissed a plea by Bollywood actress Kangana Ranaut seeking to quash the criminal defamation proceedings initiated against her before the Andheri Magistrate Court by poet-lyricist Javed Akhtar last year.

In her verdict, Justice Revati Mohite-Dere upheld the discretionary orders of the Andheri Court Magistrate directing the police to probe into the allegations levelled by Akhtar against Ranaut, both stalwarts in the film industry.

In his complaint, Akhtar, a Padma Bhushan and five-time National Award winner, had accused Ranaut, a Padma Shri and three-time National Award winner, of making defamatory statements against him on national and international television in an apparent “clear campaign to tarnish and malign” him in the eyes of the people.

In March this year, the Magistrate issued a bailable warrant against Ranaut who appeared before the court and was granted bail, and in July she moved the high court challenging the proceedings initiated by the lower court.

Through her lawyer Rizwan Siddique, Ranaut contended that instead of directing the Juhu Police to probe the matter, the court was duty bound to examine Akhtar and the witnesses named in the complaint under the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC).

Siddique argued that the Magistrate should have ascertained the veracity of the “one-sided complaint” instead of passing an order ‘mechanically’, pointing out that no evidence was brought on record by Akhtar, and the material relied upon was brought by a third party who was not examined under oath.

Seeking dismissal of Ranaut’s plea and saying it was with the sole intent to delay the matter, Akhtar’s lawyer Jay Bharadwaj said that the due procedures were followed by magistrate and to conduct an impartial probe, all persons involved were summoned but Ranaut remained absent from the proceedings.

Bharadwaj said that the Magistrate could either conduct the investigation, or direct a police officer or a third party for the same, and the Magistrate for one of these three options.

Bollywood

Debutante Sharvari: ‘Bunty Aur Babli 2’ is my big-screen debut, have given it my all

Published

on

By

Debutante Sharvari will be seen as the new ‘Babli’ in the comedy ‘Bunty Aur Babli 2’. She says it is her big screen debut and has given it her all.

Sharvari said, “I was honoured that YRF could see me as the new Babli in the film. ‘Babli’ is an iconic character in the history of Indian cinema, thanks to Rani ma’am’s incredible work in the first film. I’m a big fan of her and hope that I have done justice to the role.”

The new actress is being presented in an uber-glam avatar in the film in which she has been paired opposite Siddhant Chaturvedi who plays the new ‘Bunty’.

Sharvari will imbibe all the characteristic traits of Babli — highly intelligent, sassy, always up for a great challenge, and most importantly a supremely talented con-woman. The new Babli is tech-savvy, she is a product of the digital boom and thus, supremely skilled and equipped to pull off intricate cons.

“Since my character is based in today’s times, I have tried to play it in my own way and I only hope that Rani ma’am and the audiences will love my effort. This is my big-screen debut and I have given it my all. I can’t wait to see all the responses that my performance will evoke. I’m keeping my fingers crossed,” she added.

‘Bunty Aur Babli 2’ is an out-and-out family entertainer that is set to release on November 19. The film has been directed by Varun V. Sharma.

Continue Reading

Bollywood

Bombay HC to hear Aryan Khan’s bail plea on Oct 26

Published

on

By

The Bombay High Court on Thursday posted to October 26 the hearing of the bail application of Aryan Khan, arrested in a drugs case by the Narcotics Control Bureau.

The matter came up before Justice N.W. Sambre with Khan’s lawyer Satish Maneshinde seeking urgent hearing on Friday or Monday.

However, Justice Sambre decided to take up the matter on Tuesday next, and Aryan Khan may have to spend five more days in custody.

Khan, the son of Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan, has challenged a ruling of the Special NDPS Court on Wednesday, rejecting his bail plea, along with co-accused Arbaaz Merchant and Munmun Dhamecha.

Continue Reading

Bollywood

Nawazuddin says good people are needed for making good content

Published

on

By

Nawazuddin-Siddiqui

Actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui, who has been nominated in the Best Actor category at the International Emmy Awards for the Netflix film ‘Serious Men’, says for that making good content, good people are also needed.

Talking about what’s more important according to him – content of a project or who all are starring in it, Nawazuddin in a conversation with IANS said: “I think both are important.”

“A lot of content is being made but it will not come out and shine till the time the directors, actors and their performance isn’t there.”

He says if the actor or the maker are not good then there is no meaning to the content.

“No matter how good the content is, if the actor or the director is not good then there is no meaning to the content. For making a good thing, good people are needed,” he concluded.

‘Serious Men’ is based on Manu Joseph’s book of the same name. The film, directed by Sudhir Mishra, is a sharp take on ambition and caste politics, put in perspective in the Indian context.

Continue Reading

Trending