Connect with us
Wednesday,19-August-2026
Breaking News

National News

Adv Somasekhar Sundaresan Sworn In As Additional Judge Of Bombay High Court

Published

on

Mumbai: Adv Somasekhar Sundaresan was sworn in as additional judge of the Bombay High Court on Tuesday. Chief Justice DK Upadhyaya administered the oath. The Central government on Thursday last week (Nov 23) had appointed advocate Somasekhar Sundaresan as an additional judge at the Bombay High Court. 

Arjun Ram Meghwal posts development on X

Union Minister of State (independent charge) for Law & Justice Arjun Ram Meghwal posted the development on X (formerly known as Twitter). “In exercise of the power conferred by the Constitution of India, the Hon’ble President of India, after consultation with Hon’ble Chief Justice of India, is pleased to appoint Somasekhar Sundaresan, advocate, as an additional Judge of the Bombay High Court. My best wishes to him,” read the post. 

Sundaresan’s Name Recommended By The SC Collegium

Sundaresan’s name was recommended for elevation by the Supreme Court Collegium headed by the Chief Justice of India (CJI) DY Chandrachud way back in January. In October 2021, the Bombay High Court Collegium had recommended Sunderasan’s name for elevation as a judge. Subsequently, the Supreme Court Collegium also recommended his name in February 2022. 

Later, on November 25, 2022, the central government sought reconsideration of Sunderasan’s candidature saying that, “he has aired his views in the social media on several matters which are the subject matter of consideration before the courts.”

Sundaresan’s Education & Career

Sundaresan was a member of the recent Expert Committee constituted by the Supreme Court to review India’s regulatory mechanism in the light of Adani-Hindenburg issue. At present, the Bombay HC functions with 68 judges as against the sanctioned strength of 94.After completing BCom, Sundaresan studied LLB from Government Law College in Mumbai. He graduated in law in 1996. Later he joined The Times of India as a business journalist where he worked for two and a half years.  He started his legal career by joining Udwadia, Udeshi & Berjis and latter moved on to J Sagar Associates. He specilaised in Securities and Financial Sector Regulatory laws. 

Crime

Drunk 21-year-old rams car into crowd, scooter in Bhopal; man dead, minor son critical

Published

on

Bhopal, Aug 19: A 35-year-old man was killed and his minor son critically injured after a speeding Innova car being driven by an inebriated youth hit several people before ramming into their scooter in Bhopal’s Kolar area, police said on Wednesday.

The accident occurred around midnight on Tuesday near Ankit Parisar when Shubham Awasthi and his son Madhav were travelling on their scooter, police said.

Kolar police station SHO, Sanjay Soni, said the 21-year-old driver was allegedly heavily intoxicated at the time of the accident.

“The driver was heavily intoxicated. Instead of applying the brakes, he mistakenly pressed the accelerator, causing the car to go out of control,” Soni said.

The speeding vehicle allegedly hit several people on the road before crashing into the scooter. The impact was so severe that the scooter was badly damaged and the father and son were thrown several metres away, police said.

According to police, the accused had borrowed the vehicle from an acquaintance to attend a party. An empty liquor bottle, another liquor bottle, disposable cups and condoms were reportedly found inside the car.

The vehicle’s airbags deployed after the collision, helping the accused escape serious injuries, police said.

The accident triggered anger among bystanders, who allegedly caught the driver and assaulted him. The crowd also damaged the vehicle.

Police reached the spot after being alerted, rescued the accused from the mob and took him into custody.

“The police team reached the spot and rescued the accused from the crowd before taking him into custody. We are examining the evidence and questioning witnesses to ascertain the circumstances that led to the accident,” Soni said.

Awasthi was rushed to a hospital, where doctors declared him dead. His body was sent for post-mortem examination and will be handed over to his family, police said.

His son Madhav sustained critical injuries and is undergoing treatment at a hospital.

Police have launched an investigation into the accident and are examining the circumstances in which the accused allegedly drove the vehicle after consuming alcohol.

Continue Reading

Crime

BJP appeasing its ‘communal’ supporters with raids on those building universities: Akhilesh Yadav

Published

on

Lucknow, Aug 19: Samajwadi Party (SP) chief, Akhilesh Yadav, on Wednesday launched a strong attack on the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) over the Enforcement Directorate (ED) searches at several locations linked to jailed former Rampur MP, Azam Khan.

Yadav accused the BJP of targeting those involved in establishing educational institutions while “ignoring” other individuals facing allegations of corruption and wrongdoing.

Taking to social media, Yadav claimed that the action was intended to appease the BJP’s remaining 1-2 per cent “communal, narrow-minded” supporters.

“Anti-education, anti-teacher, and anti-student BJP members and their allies, who shut down schools, are conducting ED raids against those building universities, just so they can appease their remaining 1-2 per cent supporters who cling to communal, narrow-minded illogical thinking, while no action is being taken against those corrupt individuals involved in the following criminal scandals,” Yadav posted on X, while listing several alleged “scandals”.

In the list, the SP chief referred to the Ram Temple donation theft case, the codeine scandal and the poor condition of several expressways while questioning the BJP government over its handling of these issues.

Yadav claimed that several major roads and infrastructure projects in Uttar Pradesh have deteriorated during the BJP government’s tenure. He claimed that the Bundelkhand Expressway has fallen into disrepair, while the Purvanchal Expressway has become rutted and the Kanpur-Lucknow Expressway has developed numerous potholes.

The Kannauj MP further questioned the BJP government over alleged cracks in the green corridor, damaged roads, deteriorating bridges, collapsing water tanks, leaking roofs and station walls that he claimed were falling apart.

Yadav also raised allegations concerning corruption involving police officials in BJP-ruled states, claiming that corrupt officers have been caught not only in Uttar Pradesh but also in other states. He questioned the alleged misappropriation of funds during the Maha Kumbh Mela and raised allegations of widespread corruption in the implementation of Smart City projects.

The SP chief further alleged that BJP representatives were involved in illegal construction on land that had not received the necessary approvals.

He questioned why action was allegedly not being taken against those facing such allegations while the ED was conducting searches against individuals associated with the establishment of universities.

Yadav also claimed that a purported distribution involving around Rs 7,000 crore had taken place, claiming that a layer of publicity was added to the alleged wrongdoing and objectionable statements in an attempt to divert attention from the issue.

His remarks came after the ED conducted searches at multiple locations in Uttar Pradesh and Delhi in connection with a money laundering investigation linked to Azam Khan and matters concerning the Mohammad Ali Jauhar University and its associated trust.

Continue Reading

Crime

Rs 5 Cr spurious drug racket unearthed in K’taka; Health Minister calls for interstate probe

Published

on

Bengaluru: A racket involving spurious drugs allegedly carrying labels of multinational pharmaceutical companies has been unearthed in Ramanagara district, with drugs worth over Rs 5 crore seized, Health Minister U.T. Khader said on Wednesday. Seeking an interstate probe, Khader said initial investigation has revealed possible links to fake drug manufacturing units operating in other parts of the country.

The racket came to light after beat police personnel alerted the authorities on Tuesday evening. Acting swiftly on the information, officials from the Drug Control Department and the Commissionerate of Food Safety and Drug Administration conducted a raid at a farmhouse in Bidadi, where the spurious drugs were allegedly stored and repacked before being supplied to pharmaceutical outlets and hospitals.

One person, identified as Prabhudev, has been arrested in connection with the case. Ramanagara Superintendent of Police is currently conducting the investigation.

Khader said preliminary investigation has revealed possible links to fake drug manufacturing units operating in Telangana, Himachal Pradesh and other parts of the country.

The accused allegedly procure drugs at very low prices and relabel them using the names and labels of multinational pharmaceutical companies before supplying them to hospitals and medical outlets.

“Even tablets used in ICUs are being faked and labelled with multinational companies’ names. If an injection costs Rs 20,000, they supply it for Rs 5,000 to Rs 6,000 to hospitals,” Khader said, describing the racket as a serious issue that extends beyond Karnataka.

The minister said the premises where the drugs were stored was operating without a valid licence. Officials are also investigating whether labels and stickers used on the spurious medicines were manufactured locally or procured from other sources.

“We suspect that the accused may have procured labels and stickers from hospitals and used them for fake drugs,” Khader said.

According to the minister, the suspected racket has several layers, including the procurement of raw materials and medicines, logistics, repackaging, distribution and supply to hospitals and medical shops. Authorities are now trying to identify the middlemen involved and the hospitals and outlets that may have received the spurious medicines.

Khader said the main accused, identified as Prashanth, is believed to be based in Dubai, while Tejas has been identified as the person operating on the ground. Prabhudev has been arrested and is being questioned to establish the entire supply chain.

The minister said the case cannot be treated as a Karnataka-only issue as the suspected network involves multiple states and an accused allegedly based outside the country. He called for a coordinated investigation involving the state and Central governments.

“I have already spoken to the Union Health Minister and the Home Ministry. The Health and Home departments should have a joint team to investigate the matter,” Khader said.

He said he would also discuss the matter with Karnataka Home Minister Priyank Kharge and seek the formation of a Special Investigation Team to probe the interstate and international links.

Khader said authorities need to establish where the spurious drugs originated, who provided logistical support, how the medicines reached Karnataka, who acted as intermediaries and which hospitals and medical shops purchased them.

He also warned that establishments procuring medicines at unusually low prices could come under scrutiny as part of the investigation.

The minister said the Drug Control Department has a database containing details of more than 12 lakh medicines and that authorities routinely identify and ban spurious drugs when they enter the market.

Khader praised the officials who conducted the raid and said the government would consider rewarding personnel involved in uncovering the racket.

“This is not limited to Karnataka. Such factories may be operating across the country. We need a separate and coordinated investigation considering the logistics, supply chain and consumers,” he said.

Officials have so far seized spurious medicines worth more than Rs 5 crore. Further details are expected as the Ramanagara police investigation progresses.

Continue Reading

Trending