Connect with us
Sunday,24-May-2026
Breaking News

Maharashtra

Shiv sena not allowed to take out rally from shivaji park this year : BMC

Published

on

The Uddhav Thackeray-led Shiv Sena had been insisting that his party, and not the one led by Eknath Shinde, should get permission to hold the rally at Mumbai’s Shivaji Park in line with the Sena’s 56-year-old tradition
Former chief minister Uddhav Thackeray was keen to hold its annual Dussehra rally at Shivaji Park which was expected to be a show of strength (HT File Photo/Satish Bate)
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation(BMC) has denied permission to both Uddhav Thackeray and chief minister Eknath Shinde-led factions, to conduct its annual Dussehra rally at Shivaji Park in Dadar west on October 5, citing the local police report that allowing either of the two rival factions could lead to law and order situation.“The police refused NOC (no objection certificate) as there could be a law and order problem and there could be a clash between two factions,” Ramakant Biradar, deputy municipal commissioner, Zone 2 said, citing the report received from the local police station.

“That’s why the civic body denied permissions… due to denial of NOC from the police,” he said.

Biradar said the Uddhav Thackeray faction has moved the Bombay high court challenging the BMC decision.

“In the morning, there were arguments in court and the Thackeray faction said that they will submit an amended affidavit. The hearing was adjourned for tomorrow,” said Biradar.

The BMC’s G North Ward office formally conveyed the BMC decision to the two sides.

In its letter to rebel Shiv Sena MLA Sada Sarvankar, BMC said that it has also received a request for permission from Anil Desai of the Uddhav Thackeray faction.Citing a police report dated September 21, BMC told Sarvankar that it will not be possible to give a nod to only one camp as it could disrupt the peaceful environment at Shivaji Park.

BMC officials said they were in a dilemma on the requests received from the two factions and had even sought an opinion from the legal department.

“But the police report resolved this issue. And now the court will decide the further course of action,” one BMC official.

To be sure, the ruling Eknath Shinde camp of the Shiv Sena already has secured approval to hold its event at the Bandra Kurla Complex (BKC) grounds, apparently as a backup plan.

The Uddhav Thackeray faction was particularly keen to hold its annual Dussehra rally that has been the venue for the event in previous years to demonstrate that it was the “real” Sena. At an event to launch his party’s BMC poll campaign, Uddhav Thackeray underlined that the October 5th Dussehra rally would be held at Shivaji park at all costs. The Shiv Sena has had a strong emotional link with Shivaji Park. It was born at the Ranade Road residence of party founder Bal Thackeray located nearby on June 19, 1966 and held its first public meeting at the grounds on Dussehra day in October that year, marking the beginning of this convention.

Bal Thackeray’s father, the social reformer and activist ‘Prabodhankar’ Keshav Sitaram Thackeray was among those who launched the public celebrations of the festival of Navratri, which culminates with Dussehra. It was also at a Dussehra rally back in 2010 that Uddhav Thackeray’s elder son Aaditya was launched in politics as the head of the Yuva Sena.

Crime

Chinese-made weapons seized in Mumbai; three arms suppliers arrested

Published

on

Mumbai, May 23: In a major crackdown, the Anti-Extortion Cell of the Mumbai Crime Branch has arrested three alleged criminals who had reportedly arrived in the city to sell illegal foreign-made weapons, officials said on Saturday.

They added that the accused, all from outside Maharashtra, were apprehended during a late-night operation carried out on the basis of specific Intelligence inputs.

According to police officials, credible information was received indicating that certain individuals carrying weapons were on their way to Mumbai.

Acting swiftly on the tip-off, the Crime Branch laid a trap near a public toilet located on P.D. Mello Road close to St. George Hospital.

Around 10:45 P.M. on Friday, the three accused were caught red-handed during the operation.

Police recovered three firearms, magazines and 45 live cartridges from the possession of the accused. Officials said the ammunition and weapons bore the inscription ‘Made in China’.

However, investigators are now trying to determine the actual source and route through which the weapons entered the country, making the origin of the Chinese-marked arms a key aspect of the ongoing probe.

The arrested accused have been identified as 24-year-old Jashanpreet Mangal Singh and 24-year-old Sukhwinder Singh, both residents of Patiala in Punjab, and Arbaz, a resident of Jhalawar in Rajasthan, officials mentioned.

They said all three have serious criminal backgrounds and multiple cases registered against them.

Investigators further revealed that two of the accused had allegedly been absconding since 2022 in connection with a murder case and had been on the radar of law enforcement agencies for a long time. Arbaz alone is stated to have as many as 19 criminal cases registered against him.

According to preliminary investigations, the accused were allegedly planning to supply and sell the weapons to local criminals operating in Mumbai and nearby areas.

Following the arrests, a case under relevant sections of the Arms Act has been registered against them at Mumbai’s M.R.A. Marg Police Station.

Officials said the investigation is now being expanded to uncover the larger network behind the illegal arms supply racket. Police teams are examining all possible links, including whether the accused had any association with the notorious Lawrence Bishnoi gang.

The Crime Branch is also trying to establish whether the seized weapons were part of a larger consignment meant for organised criminal groups operating across different states.

Further investigation into the case is currently underway.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

Bandra Garib Nagar demolition drive: Case registered against account holder for spreading rumours on X account, accused of spreading religious hatred

Published

on

Mumbai: Cyber ​​Police has claimed to have registered a case against an X account holder for spreading rumours about demolition work in Mumbai’s Bandra Garib Nagar. According to details, a rumour was spread on an X account yesterday afternoon that there would be riots and violence during the demolition work in Bandra the next day as well. Cyber ​​Bandra has registered a case and started an investigation after the X account holder is accused of spreading hatred and unrest between two communities. The police are investigating the matter further.

Mumbai Police has appealed to citizens not to share any controversial and objectionable content on social media. Action will be taken against those who spread misleading propaganda and baseless rumors on social media. Along with this, the police have also requested to be careful in using social media. The police have asked citizens not to spread unverified information on social media without any verification. If anyone publishes such content or spreads it on social media, action will be taken against him. After this action by Mumbai Police, monitoring has also been started on social media. A rumor was spread on X that the situation in Bandra once again deteriorated after Friday prayers and the police had resorted to lathicharge. The police have taken action on this and a case has been registered on this X account.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

Mumbai: Three gangsters arrested for selling weapons, major operation by Crime Branch, who is investigating the criminal activities of the three

Published

on

Mumbai: The Mumbai Crime Branch’s Anti-Money Laundering Squad has claimed to have arrested three criminals who were coming to sell weapons in Mumbai. Mumbai Crime Branch received information that three people were going to sell weapons near the public toilet on P. D. Mello Road near St. George’s Hospital in Mumbai. On this basis, the Crime Branch laid a trap here and claimed to have arrested the three and recovered three country-made pistol magazines and 45 live cartridges from their possession. All three have criminal cases registered against them. A murder case is also registered against them. Along with this, it is being investigated where these three got this pistol from and to whom they were going to sell it. Which gang do they belong to and who was their target. Along with this, it is also being investigated whether these miscreants are related to Lawrence Bishnoi or any other gang. Mumbai Police has registered a case against them under the Arms Act and the Mumbai Police Act for illegal sale of weapons. The three have been identified as 24-year-old Ghola Arbaaz Jhalawar, 34-year-old Jashanpreet Mangal Singh and 24-year-old Sukhwinder. The police have started further investigation in this case. Accused number one Arbaaz Jhalawar and Sukhwinder are absconding in a murder case since 2022. In this case, the police have arrested the accused and started investigation. This information was given by DCP Detection Raj Tilak Roshan at a press conference here. He said that this action has been taken on the instructions of Mumbai Police Commissioner Devin Bharti. Meanwhile, further investigation is underway in this matter.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending