Maharashtra
Our govt with BJP formed legally, CM Eknath Shinde remains firm as Sanjay Raut asserts Thackeray faction is ‘real’ Sena
Mumbai: As the hearing on Sena vs Sena continues in the top court, both factions of the party have made assertions that they are the ‘real’ Shiv Sena. As the Supreme Court reserved its ruling in the case after Uddhav-faction sought referral to the Nabam Rebia case.
Chief Minister Eknath Shinde on Friday said that his party believes in the judiciary and hopes that the top court’s verdict on the June 2022 case of Maharashtra’s political crisis will be made on the basis of merit.
Meanwhile, Sanjay Raut, Sena [UBT] leader asserted that the party led by former CM Uddhav Thackeray is the ‘real’ Shiv Sena. He said truth will prevail at the next hearing on February 21.
Supreme Court posts hearing on Feb 21
The Supreme Court on February 17, refusing to refer pleas pertaining to last year’s political crisis–triggered by Shiv Sena’s division to a seven-judge bench for reconsideration of the 2016 Nabam Rebia judgement–said that they will have to consider merits of the case. A five-judge Constitution Bench headed by Chief Justice DY Chandrachud pronounced the same.
The 2016 verdict deals with powers of assembly speakers to decide on disqualification pleas.
Reactions to SC move
Reacting to development, CM Shinde said, “We trust the judiciary. We expect a verdict based on merit. We are a majority government formed legally.”
He further alleged that Uddhav-faction demanded larger bench to prolong the case hearing. “In a democracy, the majority has a say and our government was formed on that basis. We are working for the welfare of people,” he said according to news agency PTI.
Meanwhile, Raut said that his party believes justice will be delivered. “Governments and political parties cannot be destabilised through use of power and money. We want a clean political system,” he told the news agency.
Shinde faction alleges Uddhav-faction tried to prolong case
Two leaders from Shinde faction–Rahul Shewale and Sajay Shirsat alleged that the other faction tried to prolong the case. Shewale said that they wanted to do so because their stance is weak. Meanwhile, Shirsat said that the verdict is expected soon.
Nabam Rebia case
In 2016, a five-judge Constitution bench, while deciding the Nabam Rebia case of Arunachal Pradesh, had held that the assembly speaker cannot proceed with a plea for disqualification of MLAs if a prior notice seeking removal of the speaker is pending before the House.
How does it affect Sena vs Sena case
The 2016 judgement helped Shinde-led rebel MLAs. Thackeray faction sought their disqualification when a notice of the Shinde group for removal of Maharashtra Assembly Deputy Speaker Narhari Zirwal, Thacekray loyalist, was pending before the House.
Shinde led a rebellion last year which caused a vertical split in Shiv Sena and resulted in the collapse of Maha Vikas Aghadi government led by Uddhav Thackeray. On June 30, a day after collapse of MVA, Shinde with Devendra Fadnavis as his deputy took oath as CM,
Crime
Mumbai Man Among 9 Arrested In ₹225 Crore Crypto Racket Linked To Terror Funding Probe

Mumbai: In the ₹225 crore cryptocurrency racket allegedly linked to terror funding, the dark web, and narcotics trafficking unearthed in Gujarat, nine persons have been arrested, including Zeeshan Motiwala from Mumbai.
According to the cybercrime police, six accused, including Motiwala, allegedly entered into a criminal conspiracy and carried out multiple cryptocurrency transactions. Investigators claimed that Motiwala’s Binance wallet was linked to 57 bank accounts, with transactions amounting to USD 2,355,393.
The agency alleged that the accused converted “dirty” cryptocurrency into USDT and routed the funds through various channels to allegedly reach terrorist organisations.
During the probe, officials traced transactions worth Rs226.54 crore through seized crypto wallets and are now attempting to identify additional wallets and cryptocurrency networks linked to the group.
Investigators said the funds, suspected to be connected to terrorist activities, drug trafficking, smuggling, cybercrime, and other illegal operations, were internally transferred between wallets operated by the accused.
The agency further claimed that some wallets were linked to financial transaction chains associated with Hamas and the Dubai Company for Exchange, entities designated by Israel as terror-linked organisations.
Officials also stated that analysis of the Binance wallets revealed links to Abacus Market, a dark web marketplace allegedly used for criminal activities. The accused are also suspected to have used Monero wallets to conceal fund trails.
Officials found that the wallets were connected to several bank accounts allegedly used to receive proceeds from cyber frauds. According to the agency, at least 935 complaints of cheating and fraud have been linked to these accounts.
Crime
ED Gets Custody Of Self-Styled Godman Ashok Kharat Till May 26 In Proxy Account Case

Mumbai: Self-styled godman Ashok Kharat was on Wednesday remanded to Enforcement Directorate (ED) custody till May 26 after the agency told the court it needed to probe cash flow through proxy accounts, his foreign trips, luxury cars and properties.
Kharat was produced before the special court a day after his arrest. ED prosecutor Arvind Aghav sought 10 days’ custody, claiming the agency was investigating 60 proxy accounts allegedly opened at the Rahata branch of Samata Nagari Cooperative Credit Society in the names of several people without their knowledge.
The ED told the court that transactions worth ₹47.74 crore were conducted through the 60 accounts linked to 48 special savings accounts. These included cash credits of ₹21.26 crore and cash debits of ₹23.87 crore. According to the agency, all transactions were kept below ₹2 lakh to bypass Know Your Customer (KYC) norms.
The agency alleged that cash was deposited and withdrawn by Kharat and his associate Arvind Bawake using pre-signed withdrawal slips obtained from account holders.
Asked by the court to explain his position, Kharat said, “I had cash that I wanted to deposit in a nationalised bank. However, the bank management approached me with a higher interest rate of 9%. Hence, I accepted their proposal.” He also claimed he was unaware of how so many accounts had been opened in his name.
The ED also referred to the statement of Omprakash Koyate alias Kaka Koyate, chairman of Samata Sahakari Patsanstha, recorded on May 7. According to the agency, Koyate admitted that cash deposits were converted into fixed deposits and later withdrawn.
Maharashtra
BJP leader Kirit Somaiya Flags Alleged Massive Birth Certificate Scam In Maharashtra, Demands Probe In Vasai-Virar

Vasai: BJP leader Kirit Somaiya has leveled serious allegations that a massive birth certificate scam has come to light in Maharashtra, where thousands of fake birth certificates have been issued under the names of non-existent individuals.
Following this revelation, the possibility of these fraudulent certificates being distributed within the jurisdiction of the Vasai-Virar Municipal Corporation cannot be ruled out.
Consequently, Somaiya has demanded a thorough investigation into all birth certificates issued in the region.Against the backdrop of this fake birth certificate racket, the BJP leader has personally initiated visits to various municipal corporations across the state to review the situation.
As part of this initiative, he met with the Municipal Commissioner of the Vasai-Virar Municipal Corporation, Prithviraj B.P., on Wednesday. During the meeting, detailed discussions were held regarding suspicious registrations within the municipal limits to find a proper solution and implement strict preventive measures.
Somaiya also informed that a special meeting will be held soon with the State Government’s Health Department regarding this issue.”Bangladeshi citizens are obtaining these birth certificates online by using forged documents.” — BJP Leader Kirit Somaiya
Speaking to the media, Somaiya alleged that illegal Bangladeshi immigrants are exploiting the system to acquire these fraudulent birth certificates online.
He expressed strong concerns that there is a high probability these fake certificates will be used to illegally enroll illegal immigrants into the voter list during the upcoming Special Summary Revision (SIR) process in Maharashtra.
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
