Maharashtra
Bombay HC Says 100 Protected Structures In Garib Nagar Will Remain Unaffected By Demolition Drive
Mumbai: While refusing to grant relief to unauthorised structures in Garib Nagar, Bandra (East), the Bombay High Court has clarified that around 100 protected structures, identified in earlier surveys, will remain unaffected by the ongoing demolition drive being carried out by the Western Railway (WR) against unauthorised constructions.
A vacation bench of Justices Advait Sethna and Sandesh Patil passed the order on May 15 while hearing a petition filed by the Garib Nagar Rahiwasi Welfare Sangh Society.
Pursuant to an earlier HC order, the railways undertook a four-day drive and demolished over 90 per cent of the unauthorised structures while leaving the authorised structures untouched.
The court noted that its earlier order dated April 29 had already permitted the Railways to continue demolishing unauthorised and illegal structures, while directing that the interests of slum dwellers found eligible in surveys conducted on August 10 and 11, 2021, must be protected.
During the hearing, counsel for the Railways, Aayush Kedia, assured the court that nearly 100 protected structures would not be touched during the demolition exercise. The bench accepted the statement made on instructions from the Railways.
“The order (of April 29) is clear and self-explanatory,” the court observed, adding that the earlier order “categorically records” that the interests of slum dwellers found eligible in the two surveys “must be adequately protected”.
The court further said that any action beyond those protected structures must be taken only after following due process and in accordance with law. It also clarified that demolitions already undertaken or currently in progress against unauthorised structures would not be affected by the latest order.
The petitioners, represented by advocate Rajesh Khobragade, had alleged that despite the court’s earlier protection order, structures belonging to eligible Project Affected Persons (PAPs) were being demolished. The plea claimed that residents had been rendered homeless without following proper legal procedure.
The court has issued notice in the matter and directed the respondents to file their replies before the next hearing scheduled on June 16.
Crime
Mumbai: Vasai Cops Arrested for Helping Murder Accused Escape; ₹45,000 Bribe Paid Via Google Pay

Vasai: In a shocking incident that has tarnished the image of the ‘Khaki’ uniform and brought embarrassment to the Maharashtra Police force, three police personnel have been caught red-handed and arrested by the Vasai Police for helping a murder accused escape from the Vasai Court premises. Driven by greed, the cops directly utilized digital payment methods to accept the bribe.
The arrested police personnel have been identified as Police Constable Eknath Talpade, Prashant Rathod, and Wasim Sheikh.
The details emerging from the police investigation are startling. The accused policemen had allegedly accepted a bribe of ₹45,000 from the criminal and his family members to facilitate the escape. Instead of taking cash, the bribe was transferred digitally via Google Pay (GPay) in multiple installments of ₹5,000 each.
Upon bringing the accused near the court’s prison van, the corrupt policemen deliberately loosened the handcuffs of the accused, Vinod Soni. Seizing the opportunity, Soni made an excuse to relieve himself, and the police gave him a clear window to flee. The police have also arrested the fugitive’s wife, Sakshi Soni, and son, Atul Soni, for actively conspiring and assisting in the escape.
The incident has sparked widespread outrage within the police department. The anger stems from the fact that the Crime Branch Unit 3 team had recently cracked a highly complex, 16-year-old murder case and arrested Vinod Soni from Madhya Pradesh after an intensive investigation, only for local security personnel to let him go for monetary gain.
Maharashtra
Mumbai Hit By Repeated Power Cuts As Heatwave Strains BEST Network; Faults At Kingsway & Girgaon Disrupt Dadar & Wadala Supply

Mumbai: Several parts of Mumbai under the BEST Undertaking supply network have witnessed repeated power outages over the last two weeks, raising concerns over infrastructure stress during the ongoing heatwave and record electricity consumption in the city.
Multiple transformer and feeder faults disrupt supply in Dadar, Wadala, Girgaon and nearby areas as power demand crosses 4,500 MW this week
On Friday night, residents in Dadar, Wadala, Parsi Colony and Girgaon faced fresh disruptions after multiple faults were reported at the Kingsway Receiving Station in Dadar and at Girgaon Chowpatty.
According to preliminary information, the first incident was reported around 9.25 pm at the Kingsway Receiving Station after air trips occurred in Transformer No. 2 and 3, leading to interruption in electricity supply.
BEST officials said repair work was immediately taken up and restoration was expected within four hours. Almost simultaneously, another disruption was reported at Girgaon Chowpatty due to a fire in the transformer of the High Voltage Distribution Board, affecting supply in Girgaon Chowpatty and Gaondevi areas for nearly an hour.
In an official statement, BEST said the Kingsway Receiving Substation operates through four 33,000-volt Extra High Voltage feeder lines. One feeder connected to Transformer No. 1 was already under repair due to an earlier cable fault, while the load was being shifted through Transformer No. 4. Around 6.30 pm on Friday, another fault developed in the feeder supplying Transformer No. 3. The load was then diverted to Transformer No. 2 and supply was restored by 8 pm. However, within 30 minutes, a fresh fault hit the feeder supplying Transformer No. 2, resulting in a complete outage in Dadar, Maheshwari Udyan, Naigaon, Wadala East and nearby areas.
Officials said restoration work was being carried out on a “war footing.” The repeated outages come at a time when Mumbai’s electricity demand has crossed an all-time high of 4,500 MW this week due to continuous use of air conditioners amid rising temperatures. On Saturday, the city’s power demand touched 3,878 MW till 12.30 pm.
Earlier on May 14, nearly 3,000 consumers in Dadar, Sitladevi and Matunga Road areas faced prolonged outages after a cable fault at the Sitladevi Receiving Substation. Officials had then termed the city’s load condition as “critical” because of unusually high demand and feeder failures.
Crime
Maharashtra Minister Mangal Prabhat Lodha To Head 6-Member Anti-Drug Panel In MMR

Mumbai: Skill development minister Mangal Prabhat Lodha will head a high-level committee to create awareness against drugs in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region.
The six-member committee will include the Commissioner of Police, collectors of Mumbai City and Mumbai Suburban, and two non-official members.
The formation of the panel comes in the backdrop of the Centre’s strict stance against drug menace. The committee will coordinate with various departments to prevent the cultivation of narcotic plants as well as the production, trade, transport, sale and consumption of drugs. It will also undertake awareness campaigns against drug abuse.
Meanwhile, thwarting a major drug smuggling bid connected to interstate racket, the NCB seized 702 kg of ganja worth ₹3 crore and arrested a duo, agency sources said on Friday.
Acting on specific inputs on Thursday, an NCB Mumbai team intercepted a truck in Gondia and its search led to the contraband’s recovery. Accused duo, Prakash MD & Padamlal NM, revealed that the drug was sourced from Odisha. “It also came to light that the consignment was meant for drug syndicates based in Nagpur, Gondia, Pune and Mumbai. It was noted that these syndicates collaborated for the transportation in single bulk consignment rather than separate shipments,” said an NCB official.
In a separate case being probed by the Kalyan police, a notorious criminal, who was externed from Mumbai and Thane, has been arrested in connection with the recent seizure of 9.7 kg of heroin worth ₹34.18 crore.
The police said that he is the kingpin of an interstate drug syndicate. Amjad Pathan, 47, has as many as 20 criminal cases, including murder, against him. After being externed from Mumbai and Thane, he allegedly shifted his narcotics base to Nashik.
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
