Entertainment
Judge orders Britney Spears’ father to depose, produce documents
A judge ruled that pop-singer Britney Spears’ father, Jamie Spears, must sit for a deposition and produce all documents that are being requested by the pop star’s team.
According to Variety, the judge ordered Spears’ father to be deposed within the next 30 days in Los Angeles.
Judge Brenda Penny ordered Spears’ father to produce all documents related to electronic surveillance.
This move favours the singer, and indicates that the court believes it has reason to further inquire into shocking allegations that Jamie Spears had hired a security firm that put his daughter under surveillance throughout her conservatorship, with allegations of monitoring her phone and bugging her bedroom to record her private conversations.
Prior to the judge’s ruling on these motions, Jamie Spears’ attorney, Alex Weingarten, asked the judge to give his team access to documents from the singer’s team to help prepare for his client’s deposition, reports Variety.
“It’s a deposition. Not an ambush,” Weingarten said in the courtroom, before Judge Penny ruled against his request.
The hearing at the Los Angeles Superior Courthouse was heated with fiery debate among Weingarten and the pop star’s attorney, Mathew Rosengart.
Wednesday’s hearing marked a big victory for the singer, who has been fighting against her father in a continuous legal battle ever since her conservatorship was terminated last year.
Spears was put under a court-ordered conservatorship in 2008 by her father, who acted as her sole conservator for most of the 13 years.
After more than a decade of fighting against the arrangement, Spears’ father was suspended by the court in September 2021, and the conservatorship was ultimately terminated in November 2021. Despite the singer’s newfound freedom, her legal team’s battle has remained messy with no resolution from either side.
Still on the table after Wednesday’s hearing is whether the singer will be deposed by her father’s team.
The judge nearly reached a decision on that matter, first giving a tentative order to deny Jamie Spears’ motion to depose his daughter, but then decided to continue the motion, asking the attorneys on both sides to present their arguments to the court on why the singer should or should not sit for a deposition, ahead of the July 27 hearing.
“You don’t sit down a victim for a deposition to be deposed by the victimiser,” Rosengart argued in the courtroom, telling the judge that sitting for a deposition would be “re-traumatising” to the singer.
Last month, Weingarten filed documents on behalf of Jamie Spears, requesting to depose his daughter, in light of her social media posts. Rosengart blasted the request, calling it a “revenge” and “sham”.
In court on Wednesday, Weingarten said that having Spears sit for a deposition is par for the course, since she is a party in the case.
Rosengart firmly disagreed, arguing that Spears’ father should have all the information he needs, given that he was the one who was running her conservatorship and making decisions about her life.
“Ms. Spears was in a conservatorship for 13 years that was run by her father,” Rosengart told the judge.
“Mr. Spears is the individual who has documentation and first hand knowledge. Mr. Spears and the documentation serve as the evidence. Ms. Spears has no knowledge or documents,” Rosengart continued, telling the judge that she is the victim in this situation.
“She’s not the accuser. She’s not the alleger,” he said. “Ms. Spears is not a plaintiff here. Ms. Spears is not a defendant here.”
Rosengart told the judge that his client’s father is only filing motions to “drive up fees,” instead of letting his daughter “move on with her life.”
“She is free, and Mr. Spears wants to suck her back into the conservatorship” for “improper, immoral reasons,” Rosengart said.
At one point, pleading with the judge to allow his team to depose the pop star, Weingarten said that “unfortunately” there are documents under seal and “court orders regarding” the electronic surveillance.
“Based on what I know,” he said, “I suspect that Ms. Spears will be a treasure trove of information.”
Weingarten said that if the judge decides the singer does not have to sit for a deposition, her father will not have his “fair day in court.
The attorney said he is being held to a “different standard” than other parties in the case, based on “unproven allegations.”
“I appreciate that it’s en vogue to trash Jamie Spears,” Weingarten told the judge “But he has rights in this country, you’re innocent until proven guilty.”
“You do not put a victim back in front of the victimiser. It’s the wrong thing to do,” Rosengart shot back.
“That would be wrong, whether my client was Britney Spears or Jane Doe.”
“The mere deposition itself is harassment,” Rosengart told the judge.
Rosengart has been fighting against Jamie Spears and the singer’s former business manager, Tri Star Sports & Entertainment, ever since he was retained by Spears in summer 2021.
He has accused the company of “stonewalling” his attempts to obtain information for his client, refusing to cooperate and avoiding deposition. Spears’ legal team said they have been requesting to depose the elder Spears for nine months, and claimed he has evaded those requests. At Wednesday’s hearing, Judge Penny moved in favour of the star, agreeing that her father has failed to appear for his deposition.
Earlier this month, in bombshell court documents, Rosengart claimed that his client’s father and Tri Star were in cahoots to create the conservatorship and reap the benefits by taking millions of the superstar’s hard-earned money, rather than looking out for her best interest, which they deny.
Rosengart claimed that Tri Star was directly involved in creating the conservatorship and received at least $18 million throughout it.
Lawyers for Tri Star denied these claims, stating, “As all the evidence makes abundantly clear, the conservatorship was set up on the recommendation of legal counsel, not Tri Star, and approved by the Court for more than 12 years.”
Spears’ father and Tri Star have denied all claims of improper behaviour, despite been the subject of damning accusations. While the surveillance allegations have largely focused on Spears’ father and Black Box, the security team he was alleged to have hired, Tri Star has been at the centre of extensive claims of financial mismanagement.
A report in the New York Times alleged the star was under surveillance from a security team hired by her father and that Tri Star was involved in monitoring the singer’s phone.
At the time, a lawyer for Tri Star told Times, “These allegations are not true.” Earlier this month, Weingarten filed a sworn declaration from Jamie Spears, denying having any awareness of his adult daughter’s private bedroom being bugged or authorising surveillance of the pop star.
“I am informed of the allegation by Britney’s counsel that a listening device or ‘bug’ was placed her bedroom as surveillance during the conservatorship,” the declaration stated.
“This allegation is false.”
Weingarten did not speak to members of the media after the hearing on Wednesday, but outside of the courthouse, Rosengart told reporters that his client wants to simply “move on.”
“Mr. Spears, if he loves his daughter, as he professes he does, should leave her alone,” Rosengart told reporters, including Variety.
“He should get on with his life, instead of continuing to litigate against his daughter.”
Bollywood
Jacqueline Fernandez did not cooperate during probe: ED tells Delhi court

New Delhi, May 11: The Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Monday opposed Bollywood actor Jacqueline Fernandez’s plea seeking to turn approver in the Rs 200 crore money laundering case linked to alleged conman Sukesh Chandrashekhar, telling a Delhi court that her conduct during the investigation was “not satisfactory” and that she failed to fully cooperate with the probe.
Appearing before the Patiala House Court, the federal anti-money laundering agency contended that Jacqueline did not make a “full and true disclosure” in her statements recorded under Section 50 of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).
The ED said that during the course of the investigation, Jacqueline’s conduct was not cooperative as she “consistently failed to make full and truthful disclosures” in connection with the proceeds of crime allegedly generated by Chandrashekhar.
Opposing her plea to become a prosecution witness, the ED further alleged that Jacqueline continued to remain in regular contact with Chandrashekhar even after becoming aware of his criminal antecedents.
According to the probe agency, Chandrashekhar had arranged “all benefits, gifts and valuables” for Jacqueline out of the proceeds of crime generated through the alleged money laundering activities.
After hearing the submissions, the Patiala House Court granted time to Jacqueline Fernandez’s counsel to file a rejoinder to the ED’s reply and posted the matter for further hearing on May 12.
The ED has accused Jacqueline of allegedly receiving luxury gifts worth around Rs 7 crore from Chandrashekhar. However, the actor has consistently maintained that she had no knowledge about his alleged criminal activities or the source of the money used for those gifts.
In September last year, the Supreme Court had declined to entertain Jacqueline Fernandez’s plea seeking the quashing of the money laundering proceedings initiated against her by the ED.
Senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi, appearing for Jacqueline before the apex court, had argued that she could not be prosecuted under Sections 3 and 4 of the PMLA as she had no knowledge that the gifts received from Chandrashekhar were proceeds of crime.
The Justice Datta-led Bench, however, referred to the Supreme Court’s judgment in the Vijay Madanlal Choudhary case, upholding the ED’s powers under the PMLA and observed that allegations at the stage of framing of charges must be accepted as they stand.
The ED has filed multiple charge sheets in the case and named Jacqueline Fernandez as an accused in a supplementary prosecution complaint, while another Bollywood actor, Nora Fatehi, was examined as a witness.
The probe agency has alleged that Chandrashekhar’s aide Pinky Irani facilitated the delivery of luxury gifts and expensive items to Jacqueline on his behalf.
The money laundering case stems from allegations that Chandrashekhar cheated the wives of former Ranbaxy promoters Shivinder Singh and Malvinder Singh of nearly Rs 200 crore. However, Fernandez maintained that she had no role in laundering Chandrashekhar’s alleged illegal wealth.
The 40-year-old Sri Lankan actress, who entered Bollywood after winning the Miss Universe Sri Lanka crown in 2006, has been a prominent figure in Hindi cinema for over a decade, also featuring in music videos and reality shows.
Bollywood
Asha Bhosle’s son says last respects to be paid at residence in Lower Parel, followed by last rites at Shivaji Park

Mumbai, April 12: Legendary playback singer Asha Bhosle’s son Anand Bhosle has shared that the last respects will be held at her residence in Lower Parel.
Speaking to the media, he said, “My mother passed away today. People can pay their last respects to her at 11:00 am tomorrow at Casa Grande, Lower Parel, where she lived. Her last rites will be performed at 4 pm tomorrow at Shivaji Park”.
Her elder sister, Lata Mangeshkar, who was a Bharat Ratna awardee was also cremated at the Shivaji Park in 2022.
Asha Bhosle passed away at the age of 93 in Mumbai on Sunday. The singer was admitted to the Breach Candy Hospital on Saturday. Ashish Shelar, the Culture Minister of Maharashtra made the announcement outside the hospital. Her last rites will be held at Shivaji Park on Monday at 4:00 pm.
One of the most influential singers of her time, Asha Bhosle, sang her first song as a playback for the 1943 Marathi drama ‘Majha Bal’. She is known for lending her voice to some noteworthy numbers such as ‘Chura Liya Hai Tumne Jo Dil Ko’, ‘Do Lafzon Ki Hai Dil Ki Kahani’, ‘Kya Ghazab Karte Ho Ji’, ‘O Haseena Zulfonwale Jane Jahan’, and ‘Ye Ladka Hay Allah Kaisa Hai Diwana’, to name just a few. Along with Hindi, she has sung in around 20 Indian and foreign languages.
In 2006, Asha Bhosle herself disclosed that she has almost 12,000 songs to her credit. During her tenure as a singer spanning several decades, Asha Bhosle has worked with many acclaimed music composers such as Shankar-Jaikishan, RD Burman, OP Nayyar, Ilaiyaraaja, Bappi Lahiri, and AR Rahman. She received numerous awards throughout her career for many of her noteworthy songs. The singer was given the prestigious Dadasaheb Phalke Award back in 2000, followed by a Padma Vibhushan in 2008.
Entertainment
Mumbai: Pan-India Hawala Trail Exposes Chilling Conspiracy Behind Rohit Shetty House Firing Case

Mumbai: A breakthrough has emerged in the investigation into the firing incident outside filmmaker Rohit Shetty’s residence in Mumbai, with Crime Branch sources indicating that the attack was financed entirely through hawala channels.
According to investigators, the accused involved in recruiting the shooters, identified as Golu Pandit, received funds via an illegal hawala network rather than through formal banking systems. The money was allegedly routed through multiple locations, including Nepal, Delhi, and Uttar Pradesh.
Sources further revealed that the financial operations were orchestrated by Arju Bishnoi, an operator linked to the Bishnoi gang. The gang reportedly used its network to channel funds and execute the plan.
Golu Pandit is said to have played a crucial role in the conspiracy. He not only recruited the shooters but also arranged shelter, logistics, and other support required for carrying out the attack. Preliminary findings suggest that the incident was not spontaneous, but the result of a well-planned operation executed over a period of time.
‘Maintain Silence’ Instructions Before Arrest : Crime Branch sources also disclosed that Golu Pandit had been instructed in advance to remain silent if apprehended by the police. Following the arrest of shooters in Haryana, the gang anticipated that Pandit could be the next target of law enforcement action.
It is alleged that jailed gangster Lawrence Bishnoi conveyed a message through Arju Bishnoi, directing Golu Pandit not to reveal any information about other members of the syndicate under any circumstances. As a result, despite nearly 12 days of police custody, investigators have reportedly been unable to extract significant additional information from him.
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
