International
ICC World Cup 2023, IND vs PAK: Anushka Sharma Surrounded By Security As She Lands In Ahmedabad For High-Octane Clash
Bollywood actress and Virat Kohli’s wife Anushka Sharma was spotted at Ahmedabad airport ahead of what is expected to the biggest match of the 2023 World Cup. With India and Pakistan set to play at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad, Anushka Sharma came in and was surrounded by security as fans tried to take selfies. Notably, she shared the flight with Sachin Tendulkar and Dinesh Karthik.
Over 1,30,000 are expected to attend the high-voltage clash between the two sides, including renowned celebrities like Amithbh Bachchan and Rajnikanth, both of whom were recipients of the golden ticket. Former Indian batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar was also amongst the ones receiving the golden ticket.
While India will start as firm favourites, one could only take Pakistan lightly in their own peril. Similar to the Men in Blue, Babar Azam and co. are also coming off after two wins in their two matches. Despite Babar departing cheaply against Sri Lanka, Pakistan sealed a record-breaking run-chase by gunning down 345 with 6 wickets to spare.
“They get behind you no matter what the situation of the game is” – Rohit Sharma excited to play in Ahmedabad
Team India skipper Rohit Sharma brushed aside feeling any pressure in front of playing home crowd and doesn’t see it as a disadvantage. However, he feels they will achieve the desired result only by playing good cricket. He said in the press conference:
“I don’t think there is any disadvantage. You feel nice about playing in front of your home crowd. They get behind you no matter what the situation of the game is. My overall experience playing, not just in India, even outside India, we get massive support. So, I have so far never experienced where the crowd has gone against us or anything like that.”
“So, I look at this as a good advantage, big advantage. But we know that eventually it boils down to playing good cricket. And whatever it takes to win the game, you’ve got to do that. So yes, you can use the support, but eventually, you’ve got to play good cricket to win the game.”
India are unbeaten against Pakistan in 7 World Cup meetings dating back to 1992.
International
Iran vs US-Israel War: India Sets Up MEA Control Room, Shares Embassy Helplines To Assist Citizens Stranded In Gulf Amid Middle East Tensions

New Delhi: India has intensified efforts to assist its citizens stranded across Gulf countries as tensions continue to escalate in the Middle East. The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) has set up a dedicated control room to coordinate assistance and provide real-time support to Indian nationals affected by the crisis.
MEA Official Spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal shared the update on X, announcing that the control room will operate daily from 9 am to 9 pm. The helpline numbers issued by the ministry are 1800118797 (toll-free), +91 11 2301 2113, +91 11 2301 4104 and +91 11 2301 7905.
In addition, the MEA released a list of emergency contact numbers for Indian embassies and missions across the region to ensure stranded citizens can seek immediate help. These include Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Ramallah, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, the MEA said India has once again strongly called for dialogue and diplomacy to bring an early end to the conflict in West Asia. Jaiswal said New Delhi is ‘raising its voice clearly’ for de-escalation and expressed grief over the large number of lives lost in the violence.
Safety & Well-Being Of Indians Top Priority
He emphasised that nearly one crore Indian citizens live and work in the Gulf region, making their safety and well-being a top priority for the government. “India cannot be immune to developments that negatively affect this region,” Jaiswal said, noting that vital trade routes and energy supply chains pass through West Asia. He warned that any major disruption could have serious consequences for the Indian economy.
The spokesperson also said India is firmly opposed to attacks on merchant shipping, pointing out that some Indian nationals have been killed or are missing following recent incidents at sea. He added that the conflict has not only intensified but also spread to other countries, bringing normal life and economic activity in parts of the region to a standstill.
India had earlier expressed deep concern when hostilities began in Iran and the Gulf region on February 28, urging all sides to exercise restraint and prioritise civilian safety. Jaiswal said it was particularly unfortunate that the situation has worsened during the holy month of Ramadan.
The MEA said Indian embassies and consulates in affected countries remain in close contact with Indian nationals and community organisations, issuing regular advisories and extending all possible assistance to those stranded by the conflict.
International
UNSC asks all countries to cooperate in bringing Pahalgam terrorists, backers to justice

United Nations, April 26: The Security Council has “condemned in the strongest terms” the Pahalgam terrorist attack and urged all countries to cooperate in bringing all those involved in the massacre, to justice.
The members of the Security Council “stressed that those responsible for these killings should be held accountable, and urged all States, in accordance with their obligations under international law and relevant Security Council resolutions, to cooperate actively with all relevant authorities in this regard”, Council President Jerome Bonnafont said in a Press statement on Friday.
A front organisation of the Pakistan-based terrorist group Laskhar-e-Tayiba has owned responsibility for the attack.
The statement issued by France’s Permanent Representative Bonnafont who is the Council president for this month, took a broad view of those involved in the massacre by including the financiers and sponsors.
“The members of the Security Council underlined the need to hold perpetrators, organisers, financiers and sponsors of this reprehensible act of terrorism accountable and bring them to justice”, the statement said.
Pakistan, which is on the Council as an elected member, went along with the other members in endorsing the statement, committing itself – at least on paper – to bringing those involved to justice.
A Press statement expresses the consensus of the Council and carries moral authority, while not being legally binding like a resolution.
The statement also shot down the attempts by some in Pakistan to give terrorist attacks a veneer of justification.
“The members of the Security Council reiterated that any acts of terrorism are criminal and unjustifiable, regardless of their motivation, wherever, whenever and by whomsoever committed”, it said.
The Council members “reaffirmed the need for all States to combat by all means, in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations and other obligations under international law, including international human rights law, international refugee law and international humanitarian law, threats to international peace and security caused by terrorist acts”, the statement added.
Earlier, the spokesperson for Secretary-General Antonio Guterres hinted that a diplomatic effort by him may be afoot.
Asked by a reporter, if Guterres would speak to leaders of India and Pakistan, Spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said that he hoped to have something to share on that later.
Reiterating the condemnation of the terrorist attacks, Dujarric said, “We again urge both the Government of India and the Government of Pakistan to exercise maximum restraint to ensure the situation does not deteriorate further.”
When a reporter asserted that the possibility that “two nuclear countries” might “go to war” was getting insufficient attention, Dujarric said, “I don’t agree with your comment. We are paying very close attention to the situation between India and Pakistan.”
International
Wagah-Attari border closure leaves several families in limbo

Islamabad, April 25: Pakistan and India’s decision to shut down the Wagah-Attari border crossing after the deadly Pahalgam terror attack has forced several citizens from both countries to cut short their visit and rush back home.
On Thursday, after both countries announced closure of border crossing and gave a deadline for citizens to leave for their respective countries, at least 28 Pakistanis nationals returned from India while 105 Indian citizens in Pakistan crossed over into India.
A Hindu family from Balochistan’s Sibi was reportedly denied entry into India after the closure of border crossing.
“We were on our way to Indore in Madhya Pradesh to attend a wedding. Seven members of our family were excited to join our relatives in India and take part in the celebrations. But upon reaching Wagah, we learned that the border had been sealed. We will spend the night at Dera Sahib in Lahore and head back home tomorrow,” said Akshay Kumar.
Meanwhile, a Sikh family from India, in Pakistan to attend a wedding, decided to leave for India immediately.
“We had come to Pakistan for a wedding. While the ceremony took place, several important rituals remained. Once we heard the border was closed, we decided to return immediately,” said Raminder Singh, an Indian national.
A Hindu family from Ghotki in Pakistan’s Sindh province, now residing in New Delhi, was visiting Pakistan for the last two months to meet their relatives. However, they are now unsure about getting permission to return to India.
“There are five of us, including my young son and daughter, uncle and aunt. We all hold Pakistani passports and were granted No Obligation to Return to India (NORI) certificate by India. But uncertainty looms now, said a family member named Indira.
“Families with cross-border ties often bear the brunt of rising tensions between the two neighbours. With tensions between Pakistan and India once again on the rise, human connections across borders are becoming the first casualty,” said Asif Memood, a Lahore-based journalist.
“The closure of the Wagah-Attari border has left many families in limbo, uncertain when they will next reunite with their loved ones,” he added.
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
