Connect with us
Friday,22-May-2026
Breaking News

Maharashtra

BMC Conducts Anti-Encroachment Drive At Mumbai’s Iconic Mohammad Ali Road; Disrupts Traffic

Published

on

Mumbai: A video has surfaced from Mohammad Ali Road showing the demolition of an allegedly illegal structure alongside one of Mumbai’s well-known localities, with civic authorities carrying out action as part of an anti-encroachment drive in the area.

According to a post shared by dahisarkar, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) undertook an anti-encroachment operation in the Mohammad Ali Road locality on Wednesday. Visuals circulating online show a JCB machine being used during the demolition process as civic teams carried out the action on the ground.

The post also mentions that a heavy police deployment was also seen in the area to maintain law and order and prevent any untoward incidents during the drive. Traffic movement in parts of the locality was reportedly affected as authorities conducted the operation.

As per local administration sources, the action was undertaken to remove encroachments from public spaces and ensure smoother movement on roads for citizens. The drives are aimed at keeping roads clear and reducing inconvenience caused due to illegal structures or obstructions occupying public areas.

Mohammad Ali Road, one of Mumbai’s prominent and densely populated areas, often witnesses heavy vehicular movement and pedestrian traffic, making road accessibility and public space management a key civic concern.

The civic body has been carrying out anti-encroachment and clearance drives across multiple parts of Mumbai as part of efforts to improve public infrastructure access and maintain civic order. However, authorities have not yet issued any detailed official statement regarding the specific structure demolished during the latest operation near Mohammad Ali Road.

Tension gripped Bandra’s Garib Nagar area on the second day of the ongoing demolition drive after a mosque structure was razed during Western Railway’s anti-encroachment operation. Residents expressed strong outrage and emotional reactions during the demolition of the mosque structure. As the drive was underway in Garib Nagar, angry residents staged protests at the site.

Locals allegedly also threw water and buckets at Mumbai Police personnel during the agitation. Following the chaos, Mumbai Police resorted to a lathi charge to control the situation. Another visual showed the situation escalating as a major scuffle was seen between the police and locals. Visuals from the site also showed some women personnel dragging someone.

Furthermore, some anti-social elements tried to obstruct the work by throwing stones on the the demolition squad. Mumbai Police used appropriate force to disperse them off and FIRs are being lodged against the vandals.

The drive came after the Bombay HC, in its May 5 order, permitted WR to continue the demolition drive. However, it also said that the rights of slum dwellers who were found eligible in the 2021 surveys must be protected.

Crime

Garib Nagar Demolition: 19 Arrested So Far For Stone-Pelting As Anti-Encroachment Drive Enters Day 4 In Mumbai’s Bandra; 90% Work Completed

Published

on

Mumbai: Police have arrested 19 people so far in connection with the stone-pelting and violence that erupted during the massive anti-encroachment demolition drive at Garib Nagar in Bandra East, even as Western Railway said nearly 90 per cent of the demolition work has now been completed.

According to police officials, 15 accused were produced before the Bandra court on Thursday and were remanded to police custody till May 26. Three more accused are scheduled to be produced before the court on Friday, while one minor detained in the case has been sent to the Children’s Remand Home. Police said the investigation is still underway and more arrests are likely in the coming days.

The violence had broken out earlier this week after tensions escalated during the demolition of alleged illegal structures near Bandra Terminus. Stone-pelting incidents and clashes with police had turned the area tense, leaving several police personnel injured and prompting authorities to register cases against over 100 people.

Meanwhile, Western Railway’s large-scale anti-encroachment operation continued for the fourth consecutive day on Friday under heavy security deployment. The drive is being jointly carried out by Western Railway, Mumbai Police, civic officials and railway security agencies to ensure law and order is maintained throughout the operation.

Addressing the media, Western Railway Chief Public Relations Officer Vineet Abhishek said proactive arrangements had been made to ensure the demolition process remains smooth, safe and efficient. He stated that around 90 per cent of the demolition work had been completed by the end of Day 3.

“In contrast to the riot-like situation witnessed on Wednesday, Thursday’s demolition drive remained peaceful,” officials said. Nearly 1,100 personnel and 13 machines were deployed on Thursday for what is being described as Western Railway’s biggest anti-encroachment drive in recent years.

Authorities said the operation is now focused on dismantling softer structures and upper-floor portions built above eligible hutments, while ensuring that ground-floor rehabilitation-eligible structures are not damaged.

Officials added that debris removal operations are continuing round-the-clock. “Work does not stop at night and debris-clearing continues continuously,” the railway spokesperson said.

The demolition drive is expected to continue till May 23, after which reduced manpower will remain on-site for post-demolition clearance and fencing work to prevent fresh encroachments on railway land.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

Mumbai Rains Have Arrived! First Pre-Monsoon Showers Witnessed In Mulund

Published

on

Mumbai: witnessed its first noticeable pre-monsoon showers of the season on Friday, with moderate rainfall reported from Mulund and nearby parts of the eastern suburbs like Bhandup, offering much-needed relief from persistent heat and humidity.

Videos of the showers quickly surfaced on social media, showing wet parked vehicles and rain-soaked surroundings in what residents described as the city’s first proper spell ahead of the monsoon season. The footage, reportedly shot from a residential building parking area in Mulund, captured buses, bikes and cars drenched as rain swept through the locality.

The development comes just days after the India Meteorological Department (IMD) indicated that monsoon conditions were gradually building up. IMD Mumbai Director Bikram Singh had earlier stated that the southwest monsoon is expected to hit Kerala around May 26 and, if conditions progress normally, could reach Maharashtra by June 2 and Mumbai around June 5.

Weather observers tracking rainfall activity across the Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR) had also predicted favourable conditions for showers. Popular weather enthusiast Rishikesh Agre, known online as ‘Mumbai Rains’, had posted earlier in the day that atmospheric conditions appeared conducive for better rain activity across Mumbai and surrounding regions.

“Mumbai may finally witness better rain activity today evening onwards. Yesterday’s clouds briefly developed towards ghats but failed to sustain momentum. Today and tomorrow look far more favourable for showers across several parts of MMR. Keep umbrellas ready,” he wrote on X.

Interestingly, the showers arrived on a day when Mumbai also recorded significantly improved air quality levels. The city woke up to clearer skies and cleaner air, with the overall Air Quality Index (AQI) remaining firmly in the ‘good’ category.

According to air quality data, Mumbai’s AQI stood at 29 during the early hours on Friday. Several localities in south and western Mumbai reported exceptionally clean air. Andheri recorded an AQI of just 8, while Worli stood at 10. Gamdevi recorded 13, while Kandivali East and Walkeshwar both registered AQI levels of 15.

Continue Reading

Crime

Navi Mumbai Crime Branch Arrests 3 Nigerian Nationals, Seizes Cocaine Worth ₹1.26 Crore In Vashi’s Juhugaon Raid

Published

on

Navi Mumbai, May 21: In a major crackdown against narcotics trafficking under the ‘Nasha Mukt Bharat 2028’ campaign, the Navi Mumbai Police Crime Branch arrested three Nigerian nationals during a combing operation in Vashi’s Juhugaon area and seized high-grade cocaine worth Rs 1.26 crore.

The Anti-Narcotics Cell conducted simultaneous raids at four locations in Juhugaon after receiving specific information that a group of Nigerian nationals was stockpiling narcotics for distribution.

During the operation, police raided a house at Hariyali Nivas (House No. 522/3) and apprehended the main accused, identified as Oliver Okechukwu Ugwu (47).

“During the search, we recovered two separate packets containing cocaine-like white powder weighing 146.8 grams and 105.7 grams respectively, collectively valued at Rs 1.26 crore. The total quantity of the seized contraband was 252.5 grams,” police said.

Based on Ugwu’s interrogation, police identified and arrested two more alleged members of the drug racket — Maduyabuki Cosmos Igweoma (49) and Enosent Dada Lavians (35) — from Kopri village.

All three accused were produced before a court, which remanded them to police custody till May 22.

Apart from the cocaine, police also seized 12 expensive mobile phones of different brands and cash allegedly used in the operation.

Police said two more accused, identified as Simian Ekene and Emmanuel Onoyonam, are wanted in the case and efforts are underway to trace them.

Officials are now probing the wider network of the international drug syndicate and investigating who the accused intended to supply the narcotics to in Navi Mumbai.

The investigation is being led by Senior Police Inspector Sandeep Nigde, in-charge of the Anti-Narcotics Cell.

The operation was carried out under the guidance of Assistant Commissioner of Police Dharmapal Bansode by a team comprising Senior Police Inspector Prithviraj Ghorpade, Police Inspector Sandeep Nigde, Assistant Police Inspectors Nilesh Dhumal, Devendra Ovhal, Tushar Mane, Yogesh Deshmukh and other officers.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending