Connect with us
Thursday,03-April-2025
Breaking News

General

Best Bakery Case: Mumbai Sessions Court Acquits 2 In 2002 Incident Which Killed 14

Published

on

A sessions court in Mumbai on Tuesday acquitted two persons for their role in the Best Bakery incident that took place during the 2002 Gujarat riots in which 14 persons died, including women and children. The duo Harshad Solanki and Mafat Gohil were absconding along with two other accused Jayantibhai Gohil and his son Ramesh Gohil and hence not available for a retrial ordered by the apex court in 2004.

The absconding accused other than Jayathibhai were arrested by the NIA in connection with the Ajmer bomb blast and later transferred his custody in this case. The father and son died during custody and only Solanki and Mafat Gohil remained to face retrial.

All 21 Accused Acquitted

The case had been remanded by the order of the apex court for a retrial in Maharashtra after the trial in a Gujarat sessions court had ended in the acquittal of all 21 accused in 2003, mostly due to hostile witnesses and lack of sufficient evidence. The Gujarat High Court too had upheld the decision of the trial court.

Case transferred out of Gujarat

One of the victims and an NGO had moved to the apex court in an appeal against the HC decision. The Supreme Court while directing a retrial and permitting further investigation in 2004, had observed in its order that the investigation was tainted and that the prosecution had examined relatives of the accused in support of its case. 

After the retrial against 17 persons, in 2006, the Mumbai sessions court had convicted nine persons and acquitted eight.  

What is Best Bakery Case?

The incident had taken place on Mar 1, 2002 between 8 and 9.30 pm and went on till morning of the next day. It happened during the Gujarat riots that broke out in the aftermath of the Godhra train burning in which two bogies of the Sabarmati Express in which karsevaks were travelling, were set on fire by a mob.

In the fateful incident at Best Bakery, a mob of 1,000 to 1,200 persons had marched towards the establishment. Seeing the mob, the members of the Habibulla Sheikh family that ran the establishment, ran to the building’s first floor and locked the door. The mob armed with lethal weapons like swords and torches attacked the bakery with soda bottles and bottles filled with kerosene set on fire while the victims were trapped in the Bakery building.

A godown containing timber in the basement of the building was set on fire too. Some men were allowed by the mob to come out, but then assaulted with swords and such weapons, being tied to poles. Women were taken behind the bushes with the intent of rape. Only four injured persons survived to narrate the incident. Among those who died, were three helps of the family – all of the same religion as the mobsters.

Maharashtra

It is unconstitutional to deprive SP MLA Raees Sheikh of his right to handle religious affairs under Article 26 of the Constitution

Published

on

Mumbai: Maharashtra MLA Raees Sheikh has opposed the introduction of the Wakf Bill in the Lok Sabha. Raees Sheikh has strongly criticized the BJP for creating a false narrative and called the bill a misconception and unconstitutional bill which is harmful for the poor of the society.

Shaikh further said that Article 26 of the Constitution guarantees freedom to run religious institutions. It is unconstitutional to take away the right of a person to run his institution under Article 26 of the Constitution. MLA Shaikh said that this move is against the constitutional guarantee of dealing with religious matters.

Shaikh said that the BJP government is showing the UPA government that it is doing politics of appeasement of a particular community, while the BJP-led government is not doing so. This is an attempt to spread a lie that allows the community to seize any land under Waqf or claim it to be Waqf. The Waqf Board is not a private organisation of the Muslim community but a statutory body established under the Waqf Act. In the process of declaring a property as Waqf, a government surveyor conducts a survey and officially declares the property as Waqf. Sheikh remarked that it is completely wrong to present the idea that Muslims can arbitrarily declare any property as Waqf.

Shaikh further said that he strongly opposes the false image being created by the government and the government has not considered the suggestions given by Muslims or the opposition. All Waqf governing boards and trusts have been given the option to exit the Waqf framework. This has weakened the system. “This is an unimaginable and unimaginable bill that only harms the poor of the society,” Sheikh said.

He further said that some provisions, such as the condition that the person making the donation should have been a Muslim for five years, are strange. Earlier encroachment on wakf property was a non-bailable offence, but now it has been made a criminal offence

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

Who put up 103 out of 306 hoardings on railway land? BMC has no information. Hoarding mafia is active in Central and Western Railways.

Published

on

Mumbai: A total of 306 hoardings have been put up on Central and Western Railway land in Mumbai. Of these, 179 hoardings are on Central Railway land and 127 on Western Railway land. It is noteworthy that no information is available about who has put up 68 out of 179 hoardings of Central Railway and 35 out of 127 hoardings of Western Railway. This shocking information has come to light from an investigation conducted under the Right to Information (RTI) by RTI activist Anil Gilgali.

Anil Gilgali had sought various information from the Licensing Superintendent Office of Mumbai Municipal Corporation regarding the hoardings installed in the city. In response, the Licensing Superintendent Office provided detailed information about the hoardings installed on the land of Central, Western and Harbor Railways.

127 hoardings have been installed on Western Railway land. There are 3 seats in A ward, 1 in D ward, 1 in G South, 12 in G North, 2 in K East, 1 in K West, 10 in P South and 4 in R South. 35 hoardings are on Western Railway land, which have no owner and 179 hoardings are on Central Railway land. There are 68 hoardings on Central Railway land, which are not owned by anyone. There are 5 hoardings in E ward, 10 in F South ward, 2 in G North ward, 9 in L ward and 42 in T ward, a total of 68 hoardings.

According to Anil Gilgali, it is very important for the railway administration to maintain transparency after the Ghatkopar accident. Apart from this, the rules of the Municipal Corporation should be followed completely. If these hoardings are unauthorized, then the railway administration should remove them immediately and take strict action against the people concerned. Hoarding mafia is active in Mumbai and an IAS officer was given the charge of licensing department to bring a positive impact on the new advertising policy of Mumbai Municipal Corporation. Because financial irregularities are being done deliberately and without permission.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

Three lakh pilgrims visit Haji Ali in Mumbai on Eid

Published

on

Mumbai: Eid-ul-Fitr passed off peacefully in Mumbai. Muslims celebrated Eid with simplicity and protested against the Waqf Bill by offering namaz with black bands on their arms. After Eid-ul-Fitr, a huge crowd of pilgrims thronged Haji Ali and Mahim dargahs. Three lakh pilgrims visited Haji Ali, for which the police had made tight security arrangements.

More than 300,000 pilgrims visited Haji Ali Dargah on the occasion of Basi Eid 2025. As per the preparations made with the Haji Ali Dargah Trust

200 volunteers

25 swimmers

78 CCTV cameras, CCTV camera operators, public announcement were arranged on the main road as well as in the dargah premises. First aid facilities were available on the main road as well as in the dargah premises. Heavy police force was deployed for search, barricades and ropes were also arranged. Eid and Basi Eid passed off peacefully in Mumbai and no untoward incident took place. On the instructions of Mumbai Police Commissioner Vivek Panchalkar, the police had made additional security arrangements at dargahs and mosques.

Continue Reading

Trending