Connect with us
Sunday,31-August-2025
Breaking News

Crime

Moosewala killing: CBI refutes claim of Punjab Police on extradition of gangster

Published

on

A day after Punjab Police claimed that it had sought a red corner notice for the extradition of gangster Goldy Brar for claiming responsibility for killing of Punjabi singer Shubhdeep Singh, popularly known as Sidhu Moosewala, on behalf of the Lawrence Bishnoi gang, the CBI on Thursday clarified that this request was made after the crime.

The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) said it received an email from Punjab Police with an attached letter of May 19 about Brar only on May 30, a day after Moosewala was shot dead.

As per the federal agency, the proposal for issuance of red corner notice against Satinderjeet Singh alias Goldy was received on May 30 at 12.25 pm from the Bureau of Investigation, Punjab Police, through e-mail.

“In this e-mail dated May 30, a copy of letter dated May 19 was attached. Also, a hard copy of the same proposal was received from Punjab Police in IPCU, CBI, New Delhi on May 30. Even this request was received in the IPCU CBI on May 30, whereas as per information in public domain, the murder of Sidhu Moosewala took place on May 29.

“The Punjab Police did not present the entire facts before the media yesterday (Wednesday). There was no delay on our part,” it said.

Earlier, a spokesperson for Punjab Police said on May 19, 10 days before the killing of Moosewala, it had already sent the proposal to the CBI to issue Red Corner notice against Brar, which will pave the way for his extradition to India.

The proposal was sent on the basis of two cases, one dated November 12, 2020, and another of February 18, 2021.

Moosewala, who left his house at around 4.30 p.m. along with Gurwinder Singh (neighbour) and Gurpreet Singh (cousin), was shot dead by unidentified people in Mansa district. He was driving his Mahindra Thar vehicle.

Crime

Maloney arrested with 7.2 million worth of ganja and pistol, five others

Published

on

Mumbai Maloni Police has claimed to have arrested five accused including ganja worth Rs 72 lakhs and a country-made pistol and live cartridges. In Maloni, the police had arrested Ashiq Hussain Khan with 1 kg 60 grams of ganja. He said that he buys this drug from Nashik. After that, Santosh More of Nashik was arrested. After that, a total of four accused were arrested in this case and a case was registered against them under the NDPS Act. A car was searched in Maloni Madh in which a country-made pistol and ganja were recovered. This operation was carried out by DCP Sandeep Jadhav on the instructions of Mumbai Police Commissioner Devin Bharti. The police is investigating the matter further.

Continue Reading

Crime

Bihar: Nine Years After Journalist Rajdev Ranjan’s Murder, CBI Court Convicts Three And Acquits Three Accused In Siwan Case

Published

on

Patna: Nine years after the murder of senior journalist Rajdev Ranjan in Bihar’s Siwan, the Special CBI Court in Muzaffarpur on Saturday convicted three accused while acquitting three others.

On May 13, 2016, Rajdev Ranjan, then bureau chief of a leading Hindi daily, was shot dead in Siwan.

He was returning from a hospital visit when assailants opened fire, hitting him with two bullets that proved fatal on the spot.

His wife, Asha Yadav, lodged the FIR at the Siwan Town police station, and suspicion soon pointed towards jailed RJD strongman and former Siwan MP Mohammad Shahabuddin, though charges were later framed against other accused.

The case was later taken over by the CBI, which filed a chargesheet against seven accused, excluding Shahabuddin.

Shahabuddin, considered the main accused, died during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The trial involved six accused – Azharuddin alias Laddan Mian, Rohit Kumar Soni, Vijay Kumar Gupta, Sonu Kumar Gupta, Rajesh Kumar, and Rishu Kumar Jaiswal.

Another accused was declared a juvenile, with his case being heard separately.

After nearly eight years of proceedings, during which the CBI examined 69 witnesses and presented 111 pieces of evidence, District and Additional Sessions Judge-3 Namita Singh delivered the judgment.

As per the judgement, Azharuddin alias Laddan Mian, Rajesh Kumar and Rishu Kumar Jaiswal were acquitted while Vijay Kumar Gupta, Sonu Kumar Gupta and Rohit Kumar Soni were found guilty.

Defence lawyer Sharad Sinha told reporters that the court acquitted three accused due to lack of evidence, while the remaining three were found guilty of the journalist’s murder.

The high-profile case, once linked to Shahabuddin’s political clout in Siwan, was initially heard at the Special Court (MP/MLA cases) in Patna before being shifted to the CBI Court in Muzaffarpur.

The sentencing of the three convicted accused is expected in the coming days.

Continue Reading

Crime

Virar Building Collapse: 5 People Arrested In Connection With Case; Probe Handed Over To Crime Branch

Published

on

Palghar: The investigation into the collapse of the Ramabai building in Virar, which claimed 17 lives earlier this week, has been handed over to the Crime Branch Unit 3.

Initially, builder Nittal Gopinath Sane (48) was arrested in connection with the case. Following further inquiry, police have also taken into custody Shubhangi Bhoir (38), Sandhya Patil (35), Surendra Bhoir (46), and Mangesh Patil (35) — the daughters and son-in-law of the late landowner Parshuram Dalvi. All five accused are scheduled to be produced before the Vasai Sessions Court on Saturday.

According to investigators, Dalvi had entered into an agreement with developer Sane for the construction of the building between 2008 and 2011. In 2020, the municipal corporation had issued a notice citing the need for repairs. Officials have confirmed that the structure was illegal.

On Tuesday, tragedy struck when the building collapsed, killing 17 residents and leaving several others injured. The probe is focusing on negligence, accountability of the landowners, and the role of the developer in the unauthorized construction.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending