Connect with us
Friday,29-August-2025
Breaking News

Maharashtra

Maharashtra Elections 2024: MVA Finalises Seat-Sharing For Crucial Polls; Congress To Contest On Maximum Seats, Says Report

Published

on

Maharashtra Elections 2024: MVA Finalises Seat-Sharing For Crucial Polls; Congress To Contest On Maximum Seats, Says Report

Mumbai: The Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA), an alliance of opposition parties in Maharashtra, has finalised its seat-sharing agreement for the upcoming state Assembly elections, according to reports. Congress is reportedly said to contest the maximum number of seats, given their performance in the recent Lok Sabha elections.

The agreement outlines that the Congress will contest 104 seats, Uddhav Thackeray’s Shiv Sena (UBT) will field candidates in 96 seats, and Sharad Pawar’s Nationalist Congress Party (NCP-SP) will compete for 88 constituencies. Smaller partners, including the Samajwadi Party (SP) and Peasants and Workers Party (PWP), will be allotted seats from these totals.

Vidarbha, A Bone Of Contention For MVA Allies

There had been some initial disagreements, particularly over seat distribution in the Vidarbha region. However, the alliance has now reached a consensus. According to the report, the Congress will contest key seats in Nagpur West, Kamthi, Gondiya and Bhandara. The Shiv Sena (UBT) will be fielding candidates in 11 constituencies, including Vani and Ramtetk, while the NCP-SP will contest 11 to 12 seats in the region.

The MVA, which formed after the 2019 state elections, aims to challenge the ruling Mahayuti alliance. This alliance comprises the BJP, the Shiv Sena faction led by Chief Minister Eknath Shinde and the Ajit Pawar faction of the NCP. In the recent Lok Sabha elections, the MVA performed strongly, securing 30 seats compared to the Mahayuti’s 17. The Congress won 13 out of the 17 seats it contested, while Shiv Sena (UBT) won 9 out of 21. This success has given the MVA hope of replicating its performance in the state Assembly elections.

Internal Disputes Resolved After Marathon Meetings

Internal disputes over seat distribution had emerged within the MVA, with leaders like Shiv Sena’s Sanjay Raut and Congress’s Nana Patole exchanging criticisms. To resolve these conflicts, the MVA leadership held a nine-hour-long meeting at the Trident Hotel in South Mumbai. Later, Congress and Shiv Sena (UBT) leaders sought the intervention of NCP-SP chief Sharad Pawar, who helped mediate and settle the differences.

The election for the 288-member Maharashtra Assembly is set to take place in a single phase on November 20, with the results to be declared on November 23.

Crime

Navi Mumbai Crime: 27-Year-Old Fake IAS Officer Posing As MEA Additional Commissioner Arrested In Airoli With Forged IDs

Published

on

Navi Mumbai: Rabale Police have arrested a 27-year-old man for impersonating an IAS officer and posing as an Additional Commissioner in the Ministry of External Affairs. The accused, identified as Daniel David Waghmare, was nabbed in Airoli, where he had been projecting himself as a senior government official.

Forged Identity Cards And Visiting Cards Seized

Police seized forged identity cards of the Ministry of External Affairs and the Maharashtra Higher and Technical Education Department, along with fake visiting cards. Authorities suspect he duped multiple people using these documents. “He is being interrogated thoroughly,” said Senior Police Inspector Balkrishna Sawant.

According to police, Waghmare, a resident of Saptrashrungi Apartments, Sector-15, Airoli, created a false impression of being an IAS officer and was frequently invited as a chief guest at school and community events, including flag-hoisting ceremonies.

The case came to light after Mayur Patil, Vice President of the Airoli Assembly (Shiv Sena – Shinde faction), cross-checked Waghmare’s credentials. Patil’s younger brother revealed that Waghmare had actually worked under him at a call center. Patil then lodged a complaint with the Rabale police.

Initially, Waghmare even misled the police by claiming to be a senior official. However, further verification proved his documents were fake, leading to his arrest on charges of forgery and cheating.

Investigators also found that Waghmare had promoted himself on social media, posting congratulatory messages on his ‘appointment,’ photographs in government offices and vehicles, and even a video suggesting he held a diplomatic passport. After the arrest, he deleted most of these posts.

Police are now probing the extent of his activities and whether he cheated more people under the guise of being a high-ranking officer.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

Navi Mumbai Man Arrested For Burning Wife Alive Over Suspected Affair, Daughter Reveals Truth To Police

Published

on

Thane: A man from Navi Mumbai allegedly burnt his 32-year-old wife to death over suspicion of having an extra-marital affair and tried to pass it off as a suicide, police said on Thursday.

Daughter Exposes Father’s Crime

However, his lies were nailed as the couple’s seven-year-old daughter, who apparently witnessed the incident, told the police that her father had set her mother on fire, they said.

The incident took place in the early hours of August 25 at Pagotegaon in Uran area and the accused, aged 35, was arrested the next day, they said.

The accused, Rajkumar Ramshiromani Sahu, suspected his wife Jagrani Rajkumar Sahu of having an extra-marital affair, Uran police station’s senior inspector Hanif Mulani told PTI.

He allegedly tied the victim’s hands and legs, poured kerosene on her, and set her ablaze with a lighter at their home in Uran, he said.

The woman was later rushed to a hospital where doctors declared her dead on arrival, the official said.

Man Fakes Wife’s Suicide

The accused had claimed his wife locked herself inside a room in the house and committed suicide, following which a case of accidental death was registered initially, he said.

“But our investigation found discrepancies in his story,” Mulani said.

Further investigation, including the autopsy report and a crucial statement from the couple’s seven-year-old daughter, revealed a very different picture, he said.

“The accused had claimed that his wife locked herself inside the room and committed suicide. But the child’s statement contradicted the husband’s version,” the official said.

Police also examined CCTV footage of the locality and it clearly showed the accused leaving the house in the early hours after the incident, he said.

“This was a vital evidence, contradicting the man’s claim that he was not present at home at the time of the incident,” the official said.

Husband Arrested for Murder

Based on the medical and forensic evidence and version of the eyewitness, the Uran police registered a case against the accused under Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita section 103(1) (murder) on August 26 and arrested him, he said.

“It a clear-cut case of murder. We have no doubt that this was a brutal act of domestic violence,” the official said.

Further probe was on into the case.

Continue Reading

Crime

Thane Crime: Firing In Ulhasnagar Over Family Dispute; One Injured By Gunshot, Another Attacked With Sword

Published

on

Thane: A shocking act of violence erupted late Monday night in the Sainath Colony area of Ulhasnagar, where a long-standing family dispute turned dangerous. One person was seriously injured after being shot, while another was attacked with a sword.

The incident occurred under the jurisdiction of Hillline Police Station and has sparked fear among residents. Upon receiving the alert, the police rushed to the scene, conducted a panchnama, and launched an investigation. Special teams have been deployed to locate and apprehend the attackers.

According to reports, tensions between the accused and the victim’s family had been simmering for the past few days. On Monday night, the situation escalated drastically. The accused reportedly used firearms and a sword during the attack.

The victim injured in the firing has been admitted to a private hospital in Thane in critical condition. The second victim is also receiving medical treatment for sword-related injuries.

DCP Sachin Gore confirmed that the violence stemmed from a family dispute. He stated, We have identified the accused, and they will be arrested soon. Citizens are urged not to fall prey to any rumours, as reported.

A large police presence has been deployed in Ulhasnagar to maintain peace and ensure public safety. Hillline Police are also examining CCTV footage and continuing their investigation into the case.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending