Sports
IPL 2022 season for the Royals is all about Shane Warne, says Samson
Rajasthan Royals sent out a heartfelt message to all those who believe in the team to also have the late Shane Warne in their thoughts when the side takes on Gujarat Titans in the IPL 2022 final at the Narendra Modi Stadium here on Sunday.
The legendary Australian spinner, who guided the team to its maiden IPL title in 2008, died recently due to a suspected heart-attack while vacationing in Thailand, and since then, there has been a groundswell of emotion in the Royals camp, which wants to win the title and dedicate it to the spin wizard.
Opener Jos Buttler, the architect of the Royals’ seven-wicket win against Royal Challengers Bangalore on Friday night, asked his skipper Sanju Samson for his thoughts on the late cricketer’s legacy.
“Absolutely. The tournament, I think, right from the start it has been for him (Warne). And, I think we need to take one more step for him (win the title). I think it’s really special (being in the IPL final). I don’t want to talk much about it but we are just one step closer to doing something special for the late Shane Warne,” said Samson after the win against RCB in Qualifier 2.
Buttler, who scored an unbeaten 106 off 60 balls on Friday, said he was delighted with the outcome of the match.
“Obviously delighted, it was a great day for us, amazing crowd, amazing occasion and we finally won the toss which I think was pretty crucial, so feeling good,” said the England cricketer, who has been in sublime form this season, scoring four centuries and an equal number of half-tons, and amassing a mind-boggling 824 runs in the 16 games he has played so far this season.
Samson also conceded that the team feels safe as long as Buttler is at the crease.
“We all are very safe and happy when we see Jos batting,” said Samson, adding that his task of leading the side had been made easy by experienced players such as Buttler.
“Yes, it (captaincy) becomes really easy when you have some quality cricketers around you where you don’t have to talk much to them. You just have to ask them how you are feeling and very rarely I’ve had chats with people,” added Samson.
Sports
FIFA sacks chief operating officer after criticism of Infantino’s sell-off plan

New Delhi : FIFA has reportedly sacked its chief operating officer Kevin Lamour after he criticised president Gianni Infantino’s plan to sell stakes in the World Cup to investors.
The staff of the world body were informed of the development via an email from its secretary general, Mattias Grafstorm, who told the organisation that the two parties have “agreed to part ways”.
A report in BBC Sport quoted a FIFA spokesperson saying that “the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026. FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future.”
The report further quoted the letter sent to the staff, saying that the decision was made after ‘careful consideration’. “I would like to provide you with an important update regarding a change within the FIFA Administration.
“Following recent discussions, FIFA and our Chief Operating Officer, Kevin Lamour, have agreed to part ways. This decision was made after careful consideration and with great respect for Kevin, both personally and professionally… I felt it was important that I personally provide you with this update, and I would like to express my gratitude to Kevin for these contributions and for his work and commitment on behalf of FIFA on a daily basis. I wish Kevin all the best for the future,” it said.
This came after Lamour criticised Infantino’s plan to sell the stakes of the World Cup, which was later abandoned by the 56-year-old after he received severe backlash from UEFA, AFC and CONCACAF. Lamour had called the sell-off plan “the project of one person”.
He further stated that the FIFA administration was “deceived” about the abandoned plan. “Our mission – the mission of the hundreds of passionate, dedicated, and exemplary FIFA employees – is to serve football. A president must bring people together, unite them, and inspire them. Today, we are experiencing the opposite,” he had said.
Lamour went vocal and was not worried about his job in the governing body. “If that means I lose my job, then so be it,” he added. “I will understand and respect that decision. At least I’ll sleep well tonight.”
Recently, UEFA, CONCACAF and AFC accused the world governing body of “fundamental breach of trust” and “deception” over the management of the plans to sell the World Cup stakes. The three bodies had hit out at Infantino. “This is about something more fundamental: the integrity of the game, and the integrity of those elected to lead it,” the joint statement read.
“Leadership in football is not a possession. It is not about holding – or demanding – power to be held. It is a duty of service to the football family that entrusts it. When trust is broken through deception, when an individual places himself above the collective that entrusted him with authority, that duty has been abandoned.”
Sports
Badminton WC: Sindhu makes winning start with clinical opening-round victory

Former winner PV Sindhu began her latest World Championships campaign emphatically, brushing aside Ireland’s Sophia Noble 21-7, 21-11 in just 29 minutes in the 2026 edition at the Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium on Monday to move into the women’s singles Round of 32.
The fifth-seeded Irish debutant, ranked 141st in the world, found herself under pressure almost immediately against the World No. 9. Sindhu, who raced through the opening exchanges and established an 8-0 advantage before Noble could settle into the contest.
The gulf in experience was evident as the 31-year-old Sindhu, who won the World Championship in 2019 in Basel, controlled the rallies and kept the 21-year-old Irishwoman from building any sustained momentum.
Noble eventually opened her account, but the early damage had already put the opening game firmly in Sindhu’s grasp, with the Indian closing it out 21-7.
Noble returned for the second game with greater composure and managed to stay within striking distance through the first half. She went into the interval only three points behind the Indian, offering signs that the contest could become more competitive.
Sindhu, however, quickly stamped her authority back on the game.
The Indian shifted gears after the interval, winning 10 of the next 13 points to pull decisively away and leave Noble with no route back into the contest. The 31-year-old Indian, who won silver in 2016 and bronze in the 2020 editions of the Olympic Games, completed a straightforward 21-11 second-game win to wrap up her 10th World Championships campaign with an assured opening performance.
For Noble, the match marked her first appearance at the World Championships. Sindhu, by contrast, arrived with five medals from the event already on her résumé and the experience of having been a world champion.
The Indian will now face a more demanding test in the Round of 32, where she will meet Canada’s World No. 49 Wen Yu Zhang.
Sindhu was one of three Indian winners on the opening day so far.
Earlier, top women’s doubles pair Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand also advanced in women’s doubles after defeating Spain’s Paula Lopez and Lucia Rodriguez 21-9, 21-13. The Indian pair will next face the 16th-seeded American combination of Lauren Lam and Allison Quynh Lee.
M. R. Arjun and Hariharan Amsakarunan also progressed in men’s doubles, although their opening-round match ended prematurely. The Indian duo was leading Ireland’s Scott Guildea and Paul Reynolds 21-16, 6-4 when the Irish pair withdrew with an injury. Their next challenge will come against the 15th-seeded Korean pair of Kang Min Hyuk and Ki Dong Ju.
Sports
1st Test: Padikkal makes 167 as India reach 364/5 despite new ball strikes from Sri Lanka

Devdutt Padikkal managed to make a magnificent 167 before Sri Lanka’s spinners struck with the second new ball to restrict India to 364/5 in 94 overs at tea on a rain-affected day two’s play of the first Test here at the Galle International Stadium on Sunday.
Resuming from 288/2 after a completely washed-out morning session and multiple rain delays, India added 76 runs in an extended 85-minute afternoon session, though they lost three wickets to Sri Lanka’s resurgence with the new ball, especially with the hosts being disciplined in their bowling effort.
Padikkal, who resumed on his overnight score of 131, continued his masterclass and showed no signs of slowing down. He flicked pacer Asitha Fernando over mid-on for four to reach his first-ever score of 150 in Tests. It made Padikkal only the third Indian batter after Rahul Dravid (2009) and Cheteshwar Pujara (2017) to score 150-plus at number three against Sri Lanka.
Rishabh Pant (39) looked to attack from the outset after taking the field alongside Padikkal, but fell to debutant off-spinner Keshara Nuwantha shortly after Sri Lanka opted for the second new ball. Pant was looking to attack every ball and on the fourth ball of the 81st over, he charged down the wicket, lost his shape, and sliced a high catch to wide mid-off to hand Nuwantha his maiden Test scalp.
KL Rahul, who returned to bat after retiring hurt on 77 on Saturday due to right forearm cramps, added five runs before Nuwantha extracted a sharp turn and bounce to have him caught at forward short leg by Nishan Madushka for 82.
Padikkal’s 230-ball marathon ended when left-arm spinner Prabath Jayasuriya foxed him with a flatter and wide ball while dancing down the pitch and was stumped by Niroshan Dickwella. Padikkal struck 15 boundaries and a six during his commanding knock, as he left the field to a standing ovation from both the crowd and his teammates.
Dhruv Jurel (19 not out) and Ravindra Jadeja (4 not out) safely negotiated the remaining overs till tea break arrived and ensured India remained in a commanding position, as they look to push for a score around 450.
Brief Scores: India 364/5 in 94 overs (Devdutt Padikkal 167, KL Rahul 82; Prabath Jayasuriya 2-91, Keshara Nuwantha 2-133) against Sri Lanka
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
