National News
Gyanvapi case: Notice to VVSS chief over ‘power of attorney’ to Yogi
The Varanasi police have served a notice to Vishwa Vedic Sanatan Sangh (VVSS) chief Jitendra Singh Visen, seeking clarification on his announcement to give power of attorney of five cases related to the Gyanvapi case to Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.
Asking Visen to clarify whether the chief minister’s prior consent had been taken in the matter, police have given him three days to reply or face legal action.
Inspector Chowk Shivakant Mishra issued the notice to Visen, referring to his statement published in newspapers claiming that he would give the power of attorney of all five Gyanvapi related cases being contested in different courts by VVSS or associated people to the chief minister.
“Apart from district magistrate and commissioner of police, the state of UP is already among the defendants in all these cases. The published statement shows that consent of the chief minister had not been taken for it. The confusing and baseless announcement is creating doubts among the masses that how can a chief minister become a party in a case when the state of UP and its local authorities are already nominated as defendants,” the notice said.
The notice has directed Visen to give his clarification in this regard in three days otherwise legal and punitive action would be initiated against him,” said police.
Visen admitted that he had received the notice. “It is a legal notice, which is not surprising, and I will give my reply within the stipulated time,” he said.
He added, “But, I have serious objections over the writing of ‘Gyanvapi Masjid’ by the government officials. This structure is being claimed as a temple by us and the matter is sub-judice. How can any official certify it as a mosque in an official document? I have started formalities to seek permission of the chief minister and other authorities concerned to allow filing a case against Inspector Chowk under section 153a of IPC for promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race.”
Visen said, “I will file a case against Chowk police for terming the Gyanvapi structure as mosque in the notice as the matter is sub-judice and no government official can certify it as mosque in the official documents.”
Visen added that he was going to hand over the power of attorney of these cases to Goraksh Peeth’s Mahant Yogi Adityanath and not to a chief minister.
“Earlier, we had decided to complete the papers of power of attorney by November 15, but now this process is being expedited to complete in two-three days,” he added.
Visen’s niece Rakhi Singh is plaintiff-1 in case no. 18/2022 Rakhi Singh vs state of UP and others in which five women plaintiffs have sought worship of Shringar Gauri and other deities in the Gyanvapi mosque compound. This case is in progress in district judge Varanasi court.
Apart from it, four more cases including one in civil judge (senior division) fast-track court seeking banning entry of Muslims in Gyanvapi mosque, handing over Aadi Visheshwar temple to Hindus, are being contested by Visen-led VVSS.
On October 28, Visen had announced handing over the power of attorney — which refers to a legal authorisation that gives a designated person the power to act for someone else — to the chief minister.
A day after it, he also announced to hand over the amount deposited in the bank accounts of VVSS, himself, his wife and son, Rakhi Singh and her husband to the chief minister.
disaster
Two drown, three rescued as seven girls go bathing in Ganga River in Patna’s Bakhtiyarpur

Patna: A tragic incident occurred at Ranisarai Ganga Ghat in Patna’s Bakhtiyarpur block on Monday when seven girls from the same family got caught in the strong current while bathing in the Ganga Rive Three were rescued by locals, while four others went missing.
The incident occurred at around 7:30 a.m. According to local residents, the girls, who were cousins, had gone to the ghat to bathe. One of them reportedly moved into deeper water and began struggling. When the others attempted to help her, they too were caught in the strong current. People present at the ghat immediately launched a rescue effort. Several locals entered the river and managed to bring three girls to safety.
However, the remaining four were swept into deeper water and could not initially be located.
The missing girls have been identified as Aarti Kumari (21) and Nandani Kumari (16), daughters of Awadhesh Chandravanshi; Radhika Kumari (15), daughter of Kamlesh Chandravanshi; and Babli Kumari (6), daughter of Mantu Chandravanshi.
After being informed about the incident, police and administrative officials reached the spot.
An SDRF team was subsequently deployed to conduct a search operation in the river.
During the search, two bodies were recovered, while efforts to locate the remaining two girls are continuing.
The strong current and depth of the river are making the search operation difficult, with SDRF personnel searching different sections of the river.
As news of the incident spread, family members and villagers gathered at the ghat and demanded immediate deployment of an SDRF team.
Amid frustration over the reported delay in launching the search, villagers briefly blocked the road for around 20 minutes, disrupting traffic.
The blockade was later lifted after the rescue operation began.
A large number of relatives remain at the riverbank, anxiously waiting for updates as the SDRF continues its search.
The incident, involving several children and young women from the same family, has left the entire area deeply shaken.
The bodies have been sent to the Barh Subdivisional Hospital for the post-mortem.
National News
Students’ years being stolen, says Rahul Gandhi as NTA orders UGC-NET re-exam for 3 subjects

New Delhi: As the National Testing Agency (NTA) announced the re-examination for the UGC-NET papers for three subjects after multiple errors were found in the question papers, Lok Sabha Leader of Opposition (LoP) Rahul Gandhi on Monday took aim at the Central government and claimed that the years of the students are being stolen because of these examination irregularities.
Earlier on Sunday, the NTA announced that it will re-conduct the University Grants Commission-National Eligibility Test (UGC-NET) for English, Sociology and Commerce after several errors were found in the question papers. This added to the growing criticism over the testing agency’s handling of competitive exams.
Rahul, in a post on X, said, “Modi ji, look at what your NTA has just done. UGC-NET exams for Sociology, English and Commerce were held between 22 and 30 June. Nearly two months later, NTA has cancelled all three because it set faulty papers and repeated old questions.”
“Thousands of candidates who prepared for years, filled forms, paid the fees, travelled to distant centres, must now do it all again in September. NTA makes the mistake, but the student serves the sentence,” he said.
The LoP recalled that during his Chhatron Ki Goonj programmes held in Kota, Dehradun and Prayagraj, he had stated that “this is no longer an education system”, but an “extraction machine”.
“It takes your money, your years, your mental health, and your confidence and returns nothing. Not even a job. NTA still won’t answer the real question — were these papers leaked before the exam?” he said.
“Just like every other arm of the Modi government, NTA never says it’s their fault. Just like every other compromised paper, I am absolutely sure there will be no accountability. Dharmendra Pradhan’s resignation was the first step, not the last. NTA’s leadership must be held accountable too,” Gandhi stated.
“To every student sitting this exam again in September — you are not the problem. PM Modi built a system that cannot run an exam and then blames the students who take it. Your years are being stolen, and we will not stop until PM Modi answers for it,” he added.
This comes months after the NTA faced public ire over the NEET paper leak case. As part of a major punitive crackdown and institutional overhaul, 47 NTA officials faced termination from service alongside impending criminal proceedings. Additionally, Subodh Kumar Singh was removed as the Director General of the testing agency.
Meanwhile, the Sociology will be held on September 10, while the English and Commerce tests will be re-conducted on September 9.
The UGC-NET is held to determine eligibility for the appointment of entry Assistant Professors, admission to PhD courses, and for the award of Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) in government and private universities.
The UGC-NET 2026 exam was held in June this year across 87 subjects. The NTA, however, was criticised for delaying the release of the answer key. The provisional answer key was then released on Sunday.
Following this, the NTA stated that it had received several complaints about multiple errors in the English, Commerce, and Sociology papers.
A committee was formed to enquire into these errors, and as per the committee’s recommendation, the NTA will re-conduct the exams in these subjects to “ensure a fair and error-free examination”, officials stated.
The testing agency also mentioned that no additional fees will be charged from the candidates and allocation of seats will not be reduced. Additionally, the results for the other 84 subjects will be declared as scheduled.
National News
Congress social media chief faces BJP heat over ‘false’ claims on flag hoisting during I-Day celebrations

New Delhi, Aug 16: Congress social media chairperson and Working Committee member Supriya Shrinate is in the eye of storm over circulation of two old videos pertaining to 80th Independence Day celebrations while alleging that the BJP leaders hoisted party flags instead of the Tricolour on the occassion.
The BJP quickly fact-checked the claims, stating that neither of the videos were related to Independence Day events.
Shrinate had claimed that one of the videos was from Chhattisgarh, while the other was from West Bengal. In the first instance, she shared a video purportedly showing BJP workers raising the party flag instead of the national flag at Swami Vivekanand Mangal Bhavan in Kurud, located in Dhamtari district of Chhattisgarh.
“For 53 years, their ancestors boycotted the Tricolour — even today, they never tire of insulting the national flag,” the Congress leader wrote in a post on X while sharing the video.
Following the post, the BJP filed an FIR against Shrinate over the allegation and accused her of using an old video and presenting it as footage from the Independence Day celebrations.
Former Chhattisgarh Minister and senior BJP leader Ajay Chandrakar strongly criticised Shrinate and said, “The Independence Day program is of national importance. It is celebrated in governmental and personal capacities both in the country and abroad. The Congress Party has used the national festival as a medium to defame the BJP.”
“The BJP organisation of Dhamtari district has, by filing an FIR, demanded action against Mallikarjun Kharge, Jairam Ramesh, Supriya Shrinate, and Pawan Khera as well. Immediate action should be taken on this,” he added.
Chandrakar himself hoisted the national flag at the official district-level Independence Day ceremony in Dhamtari. Subsequent clarifications established that the video shared by Shrinate was from a BJP event held at the same venue in March this year, during which the party flag had been raised.
Shrinate also shared another video while making a similar allegation. In her post, she claimed that West Bengal Labour and Transport Minister Arjun Singh had raised a BJP flag instead of the Tricolour and described him as a “galeech deshdrohi” (a wretched traitor).
However, the second video was also found to be old and unrelated to the Independence Day celebrations.
Responding to Shrinate’s allegation, Singh said, “This video is not from the Independence Day programme. The video is from the inauguration of my office in Barrackpore, which took place on 6th July, 2026, on the birth anniversary of Dr Syama Prasad Mookerjee Ji.”
“The parties and some individuals spreading such fake narrative and propaganda should have verified the facts before circulating it and should have corrected their mistake. It is such disgraceful action, highly condemnable. I am going to take legal action against the parties and persons for deliberately spreading propaganda against me,” he added.
Congress is yet to respond to these remarks.
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
