Connect with us
Friday,21-August-2026
Breaking News

National News

Fresh violence in Manipur leaves 5 dead, including cop, hours before Amit Shah’s visit

Published

on

In Manipur, where ethnic violence has claimed at least 80 lives in the past month, new violence broke out yesterday, leaving at least five people dead, including a policeman, and 12 more injured. After alleged terrorists in the Serou and Sugunu area set fire to numerous homes with high-tech weapons, new violence broke out in different areas of the state.

Amit Shah, the Home Minister, is scheduled to visit the violence-struck state in a few hours. Yesterday, Chief Minister N Biren Singh said that ’40 terrorists’ had been killed by gunfire in the previous four days.

Multiple terrorists neutralised

CM Singh said, “The terrorists have been using M-16 and AK-47 assault rifles and sniper guns against civilians. They came to many villages to burn down homes. We have started taking very strong action against them with the help of the army and other security forces. We have got reports some 40 terrorists have been shot dead.”

The Chief Minister stated that the recent spike in violent attacks against citizens on the fringes of Imphal Valley was well-planned and is categorically condemned. Today’s visit by Home Minister Amit Shah to Manipur is on track and he has pleaded with the Kukis and Meiteis to keep things peaceful and seek to restore normal.

Violence triggered by Meitei community’s petition

General Manoj Pande, the Army Chief, visited Manipur on Saturday to assess the state of law and order. Last month, when tribal groups, mostly Kukis, demonstrated against the Meitei community’s petition to be classified as a Scheduled Tribe, which would grant them access to reservation privileges and forest areas, violence broke out throughout the state.

Tension over the displacement of Kuki people from the reserve forest area had caused a number of smaller agitations before the violence. In order to stop the violence from getting worse, the government has implemented curfews and internet bans in a number of locations.

National News

Delhi Police arrest Nigerian national with 8.43 grams of amphetamine

Published

on

The Dwarka District Police have arrested a 26-year-old Nigerian national, who was a proclaimed offender in an earlier narcotics case, and recovered 8.43 grams of amphetamine from his possession, officials said on Friday.The arrest was made by the Anti-Narcotics Cell of the Dwarka District Police during ‘Operation VISTA 1.0’, a special drive launched to verify overstaying foreigners and check suspicious persons staying in hotels.

According to the officials, the Delhi Police Commissioner recently launched the operation to verify foreigners who have overstayed in the country. Following directions from Dwarka Deputy Commissioner of Police Kushal Pal Singh and under the supervision of ACP Operations Cell Subhash Malik, the Anti-Narcotics Cell was tasked with tracing overstaying foreigners and checking suspicious individuals staying in hotels across the district.On August 11, a team of the Anti-Narcotics Cell, headed by Inspector Satish Kumar Yadav and comprising Sub Inspectors Prem Narayan, Naveen and Naveen Kumar, Head Constable Vikas, and Constables Rahul and Vinod, was deployed as part of the operation.

Based on technical surveillance and human intelligence, the police apprehended a foreign national from a hotel in Mohan Garden.The accused was identified as Kingsley Eze, son of Eze, a resident of Anambra State, Nigeria.During his personal search, police recovered 8.43 grams of amphetamine, classified as an intermediate quantity under the relevant provisions of the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act.

Following the recovery, an FIR No. 205/2026 was registered under Sections 8 and 22 of the NDPS Act at Mohan Garden Police Station in Dwarka.During interrogation, the accused told the police that he had arrived in India in 2019 on a business visa.Police said that further verification revealed that Kingsley Eze had been declared a proclaimed offender by a court in connection with FIR No. 940/2022, registered under Section 22 of the NDPS Act and Section 14A of the Foreigners Act at Nihal Vihar Police Station.He was declared a proclaimed offender through a court order dated May 30, 2026, police said.

According to the police, the accused had earlier been involved in a case related to the alleged supply of heroin and had been absconding while staying at a hotel in the Mohan Garden area. His arrest came during the ongoing VISTA 1.0 operation.The police said the recovery of amphetamine from the accused marked another step in the Dwarka District Police’s campaign against narcotics, being carried out under the slogan, “Nasha par Lagam, Desh ko Salam”.Further investigation is underway to identify and trace the supplier of the seized narcotic substance and determine the wider network, if any, connected to the accused.

Continue Reading

National News

K’taka tribal welfare scam: Cong MLAs protest against BJP for ‘stalling’ Assembly proceedings

Published

on

Karnataka Congress MLAs and MLCs staged a protest against the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Friday, accusing the opposition party of disrupting Assembly proceedings while demanding the resignation of Minister for Planning and Statistics B. Nagendra over his alleged involvement in the tribal welfare scam.The Congress legislators gathered near the Mahatma Gandhi statue on the Vidhana Soudha premises and staged the protest.

They raised slogans against the BJP by holding placards, saying the party had no moral right to lecture them on morality, alleging that some of its leaders were involved in the theft of temple valuables. Minister B. Nagendra also participated in the protest.KPCC President and MLC B.K. Hariprasad stated, “There is a serious situation prevailing in the state. Drought relief work is being taken up in 18 districts, and people are not getting drinking water. The BJP is not allowing these issues to be discussed in the House. The CM has already met all-party MPs and urged them to seek the release of Rs 10,000 crore in drought relief funds.”

“The Opposition is scared of a discussion because it fears criticism of the Centre. They want to divert attention from everything. Let the discussion happen on Minister Nagendra; it will be over in one day. We will provide all the material to prove that he has no role. The BJP should not follow double standards. Even Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Union Minister Amit Shah face allegations. If we demand their resignations, will they resign?” Hariprasad questioned.

“If they have the courage, let them discuss all these issues. This is being done to prevent the questioning of the Central government over the release of drought relief funds to Karnataka. BJP leaders do not want this to happen. We will run the session until August 27. The people will decide whether the BJP is anti-people,” he said.Minister for Home, IT and BT Priyank Kharge said, “Who are the BJP leaders to demand his resignation? Has the BJP become the Supreme Court or the High Court by itself? Is it the Lokayukta? Let them seek the resignation of the Assam Chief Minister, who faces cases. Even the Bihar Chief Minister faces cases. There are also people in the Central government facing cases. They are also tainted.”

“The BJP should have some morality. Dr Chandru Lamani was caught by the Lokayukta. Why are you keeping him? There are MLAs in the BJP who have been trapped by the Lokayukta. Why don’t they talk about them? The CID does not have Nagendra’s name. The CBI has named him in its second chargesheet. It is very clear that this is motivated by the Centre. Let them discuss all these issues if they have the courage,” he challenged.Minister B. Nagendra alleged that the BJP could not tolerate Dalits becoming ministers. “The Congress party and CM D.K. Shivakumar have repeatedly called them for discussions. They have to listen to why I am not resigning. They are unnecessarily indulging in politics. They claim that it is a Rs 184 crore scam, but all the money has been recovered. The SIT subsequently gave me a clean chit.”

“They are outraged because a Dalit has become a minister. I am on bail in connection with the ED and CBI investigations. Haven’t there been Chief Ministers in other states who obtained bail and continued in office? Have I been convicted? I have faced allegations and have come out clean in court,” Nagendra said.

Continue Reading

National News

Two killed, 3,200 houses damaged in floods at Sabang in West Midnapore: Bengal CM

Published

on

Two persons have been killed and 3,200 houses have been damaged so far in the devastating flood at Sabang in West Midnapore district of West Bengal, Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari told on Thursday.The Chief Minister made an aural review of the flood situation at Sabang in the afternoon and thereafter had an administrative review meeting at the local block development office with the district officials and all the MLAs and Ministers from the district.

Thereafter, CM Adhikari spoke to the media persons and told about the number of human death and houses damaged so far.”Two persons have died so far and 3,200 houses have been damaged. Each affected family whose house had been damaged will be provided with a compensation of Rs 30,000 by the state government,” the Chief Minister said.According to CM Adhikari, besides the compensation for those houses damaged in the flood, the state government will also stand by the farmers whose crops were damaged because of the flood.

“The farmers who are covered under the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana will get the opportunity to get compensation. However, the state government will have to work out a strategy for providing compensation for the affected mat-stick makers by any insurance scheme,” the Chief Minister added.He also claimed that during his interaction with the local flood-affected people, many told him that any Chief Minister had physically visited the flood affected areas for the first time after 1986.

“The previous (Trinamool Congress-led state) government did not consider the people of this area as human beings. I have a human connection with them. That is why I came here. My life begins with rural Bengal and will also end with rural Bengal,” the Chief Minister said.He also added that the state administration is also keeping a close watch on the situation in Arambagh in Hooghly district.”Although, there is not any flood-like situation in Arambagh as yet, things might worsen if Damodar Valley Corporation (DVC) releases fresh water from their dams. I have asked the Hooghly district administration to remain alert,” the Chief Minister said.

Continue Reading

Trending