Connect with us
Saturday,30-August-2025
Breaking News

Politics

CBI probes in Bengal: Section of judiciary is biased, claims Abhishek Banerjee

Published

on

Against the backdrop of consecutive orders of Calcutta High Court, for Central Bureau of Investigation(CBI) probes, that have gone against the West Bengal government, the ruling Trinamool Congress’s national General Secretary Abhishek Banerjee on Saturday launched a scathing attack against a section of the judiciary.

“I feel bad to say that a couple of members of the judiciary are acting at the behest of others and as agents. They are ordering for CBI verdicts in petty cases. They are putting a stay in murder cases. This is unthinkable,” Banerjee said at a public rally at the industrial township of Haldia in East Midnapore district.

He also said that he is aware that he can be legally pulled by the judiciary for such comments. “Some people might take offense. There can be legal suits against me as well. But I am not scared to speak the truth. I will say the same thing in future as well,” he said.

His comments attracted stark criticism from the opposition parties.

BJP state’s spokesman Shamik Bhattacharya said that the statements prove the fear and frustration among the Trinamool leaders. “The manner in which Abhishek Banerjee has slammed the judiciary is unthinkable and tantamount to contempt of court,” he said.

Congress’ state President and party leader in Lok Sabha, Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury said that Abhishek Banerjee’s statement against the judiciary is an expression of his party leadership’s will to have control over everyone. “The future days will be disastrous in this regime,” he said.

CPI-M Central Committee member and former Left legislative party leader, Dr Sujan Chakraborty said that such comments against the judiciary does not suit the traditionally rich culture of West Bengal.

This is for the time that any senior leader of Trinamool has come out so openly against the judiciary. During the last one month, there had been over ten orders by different benches of Calcutta High Court directing a CBI enquiry.

At the Haldia rally, Abhishek Banerjee also touched upon the issue of the return or entry of turncoats in Trinamool.

“Those who have joined Trinamool Congress recently after measuring waters for a long time will be given election nominations immediately. Whatever happened in the past will not be repeated. I can guarantee that,” he said.

Maharashtra

The application date for Mumbai students’ education scholarship should be extended till September 1: Abu Asim Azmi

Published

on

Maharashtra Samajwadi Party leader and MLA Abu Asim Azmi has written a letter to the state Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and the Minister of Minority Affairs demanding extension of the application date for scholarship 2025-26 for students pursuing higher education abroad through the Minority Department and Ministry of Minority Affairs. The last date is August 28, 2025. Azmi has demanded an extension till September 1. He said that there is a three-day holiday in Maharashtra in view of Ganpati festival and other festivals, so students will have difficulty in submitting applications. Therefore, keeping in mind the convenience of the students, the date for submission of applications should be extended till September 1 and the government should take a positive decision on this.

Continue Reading

Crime

Bihar: Nine Years After Journalist Rajdev Ranjan’s Murder, CBI Court Convicts Three And Acquits Three Accused In Siwan Case

Published

on

Patna: Nine years after the murder of senior journalist Rajdev Ranjan in Bihar’s Siwan, the Special CBI Court in Muzaffarpur on Saturday convicted three accused while acquitting three others.

On May 13, 2016, Rajdev Ranjan, then bureau chief of a leading Hindi daily, was shot dead in Siwan.

He was returning from a hospital visit when assailants opened fire, hitting him with two bullets that proved fatal on the spot.

His wife, Asha Yadav, lodged the FIR at the Siwan Town police station, and suspicion soon pointed towards jailed RJD strongman and former Siwan MP Mohammad Shahabuddin, though charges were later framed against other accused.

The case was later taken over by the CBI, which filed a chargesheet against seven accused, excluding Shahabuddin.

Shahabuddin, considered the main accused, died during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The trial involved six accused – Azharuddin alias Laddan Mian, Rohit Kumar Soni, Vijay Kumar Gupta, Sonu Kumar Gupta, Rajesh Kumar, and Rishu Kumar Jaiswal.

Another accused was declared a juvenile, with his case being heard separately.

After nearly eight years of proceedings, during which the CBI examined 69 witnesses and presented 111 pieces of evidence, District and Additional Sessions Judge-3 Namita Singh delivered the judgment.

As per the judgement, Azharuddin alias Laddan Mian, Rajesh Kumar and Rishu Kumar Jaiswal were acquitted while Vijay Kumar Gupta, Sonu Kumar Gupta and Rohit Kumar Soni were found guilty.

Defence lawyer Sharad Sinha told reporters that the court acquitted three accused due to lack of evidence, while the remaining three were found guilty of the journalist’s murder.

The high-profile case, once linked to Shahabuddin’s political clout in Siwan, was initially heard at the Special Court (MP/MLA cases) in Patna before being shifted to the CBI Court in Muzaffarpur.

The sentencing of the three convicted accused is expected in the coming days.

Continue Reading

National News

Ganeshotsav 2025: Union Home Minister Amit Shah Visits Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis’ Residence For Ganpati Darshan

Published

on

Mumbai: Union Home Minister Amit Shah visited Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis’ official residence ‘Varsha’ in Mumbai on Saturday to seek the blessings of Ganpati Bappa.

In a video shared by CM Devendra Fadnavis, Union Minister Amit Shah can be seen performing the traditional aarti. During the visit, Fadnavis expressed his honour in an X post, stating, “Hon Union Home and Cooperation Minister Amitbhai Shah and family performed aarti at our official residence ‘Varsha’ in Mumbai, today with utmost devotion, and together we prayed for the well-being of all.”

Union Home Minister Amit Shah, accompanied by his family, also visited the Mogareshwar Public Ganeshotsav Mandal in Andheri East on Saturday to seek the divine blessings of Bhagwan Shri Ganesha. The visit was marked by the presence of Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and Deputy Chief Minister Eknath Shinde.

After offering greetings at the mandal, Shah, Fadnavis, and Shinde took part in the darshan of Ganpati Bappa, receiving his blessings. On this auspicious occasion, they prayed to Shri Gajanana for the happiness and prosperity of the country and the state.

In a post, CM Devendra Fadnavis shared his honour in welcoming Union Minister Amit Shah, stating, “Honoured to welcome our leader, Hon Union Home and Cooperation Minister Amitbhai and family at my official residence ‘Varsha’ in Mumbai, today for Ganpati Bappa’s divine darshan and blessings!”

Amit Shah also visited Lalbaugcha Raja, Mumbai’s most famous Ganesh pandal, today as part of his two-day tour to participate in the Ganeshotsav 2025 festivities. Shah was accompanied by his family during the visit, where he sought the blessings of Lord Ganesha.

The Ganeshotsav, celebrated with grandeur across Mumbai, attracts thousands of devotees daily. Shah’s engagement at Lalbaugcha Raja is expected to strengthen the party’s connection with voters and reinforce its presence during the ongoing festival season.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending