Maharashtra
Two years of MVA: No downfall, Humpty-Dumpty sits firmly on the wall
Last week, Shiv Sena MP, the outspoken Sanjay Raut contemptuously dismissed yet another statement by Bharatiya Janata Party state President Chandrakant Patil predicting the downfall of the 2-year-old Maha Vikas Aghadi government, saying he has said it “at least 28 times before.”
Another senior Sena leader, Dr Raghunath Kuchik – accorded MoS status – said all the BJP leaders are crying over spilt milk, how “the Sena betrayed BJP” at least five times daily – or over 3,500 times in the past two years after the MVA government with Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray took office on November 28, 2019.
“This must be some sort of a world-record… In May 1996, the late PM Atal Behari Vajpayee said – in a dignified manner – how he felt disappointed only once and gave up office, but never uttered it again,” Kuchik pointed out.
A couple of days ago, when Union MSME Minister Narayan Rane acted soothsayer claiming the BJP will form the government in March, the usually stern Nationalist Congress Party state President and Minister Jayant Patil broke into a grin and asked why “such a long time-limit”.
Congress state President Nana Patole reacted sarcastically saying how “the BJP’s never-ending forecasts of the MVA fall are perpetually proving wrong.”
As the MVA celebrates its second anniversary on November 28 it is conscious of the hawkish Opposition counting the days, weeks or months for the Shiv Sena-NCP-Congress government’s collapse.
For, the Opposition is not limited to the belligerent BJP in the state and Centre alone — there’s a motley collection of various central agencies, several Bollywood personalities, some industrialists, a few social influencers and even the friendly neighbourhood Raj Bhavan with which there have been infrequent ‘letter wars’ – not exactly the soulful ingredients for a smooth sail!
Barely had the MVA emerged unscathed from the ghost of the late actor Sushant Singh Rajput on its first birthday last November (2020), it was haunted by others in the form of the abandoned SUV with 20 gelatin sticks and a threat note near the home of industrialist Mukesh Ambani in February, followed by the murder of the vehicle owner Mansukh Hiran.
This kicked off a series of political developments that rocked the 3-party government, the unceremonious transfer of the then Mumbai Police Commissioner Param Bir Singh, his letter bomb hurling allegations of extortion against the then home minister Anil Deshmukh, who was forced to quit and was nabbed by the Enforcement Directorate, and now Singh himself facing corruption charges.
Besides Deshmukh, minister Sanjay Rathod forfeited his post. At least another half-a-dozen Sena-NCP ministers or senior leaders like Hasan Mushrif, Anil Parab, Eknath Khadse, MP Bhavana Gawli, ex-MP Anandrao Adsul, Sanjay Raut’s kin and the family of Deputy CM Ajit Pawar are under the scanner of the central agencies, plus a dozen more ‘potential’ future targets, as BJP leaders watch gleefully.
Despite the “betrayal, downfall” cacophony all around, Thackeray continued to make waves with his handling of the Covid-19 situation, the state earned laurels from the Centre and abroad, it continued to attract investments and — despite occasional hiccups – the 3-partners maintained camaraderie.
At one point, a bemused Thackeray shot back at the BJP, saying “the MVA will not only complete five years, but is here to stay for 25 years”.
NCP’s Malik further rattled the Opposition saying that many of the erstwhile defectors from the Sena-NCP-Congress to the BJP would make a ‘ghar-wapsi’ and return to the parental fold soon.
After the Narcotics Control Bureau’s raids on the Cordelia cruise ship on October 2, Malik became the face of the MVA’s blitzkrieg against the central agencies with his sting(ing) operations against the NCB Zonal Director Sameer Wankhede.
As the luxury ship swoop practically lost credibility, Wankhede came under pressure with Malik’s exposes on his alleged fake caste certificate and other fraudulent documents, and the Bombay High Court also frowning at the raids and the NCB’s intentions. It also said the Minister’s charges were not ‘totally false’.
The MVA struggles on other fronts too, like the pending GST dues from the Centre, the elusive promised aid for natural calamities that befell the state in the past two years, the Kanjurmarg land for the Mumbai Metro car shed.
After straddling multiple crises over the past 24 months, another Big Test is coming up in early 2022 for both the MVA and the BJP — the elections to some big civic bodies like Mumbai, Thane, Navi Mumbai, Vasai-Virar, Pune, Pimpri-Chinchwad, Nashik, Aurangabad, Solapur, Amravati and Nagpur.
Though the Sena-NCP are firm on a pre-poll alliance, the Congress state and Mumbai leaders keep thumping chests like Tarzan and sing the ‘Ekla Chalo’ (Go Alone) tune, dismaying the other two allies but sounding sweet music to the BJP.
Senior ruling alliance leaders are aware that these are rough times calling for tough decisions to prevent a mass exodus or even a rebellion in their ranks — as witnessed recently in Panvel with many Congressmen joining the NCP — particularly with the BJP fox lurking menacingly around the MVA flock.
Perturbed by its unsuccessful toppling games, the BJP is vying for big wins in the civic polls to re-sharpen its sword to eject what it calls the ‘Maha Vinaash Aghadi’ regime, though privately many leaders admit it’s a futile exercise.
Maharashtra
Mumbai South Cyber Cell’s major operation, fraud gang in the name of CO boss exposed, two accused arrested from Jharkhand and Bihar

Mumbai: The Mumbai South Mumbai Cyber Cell has claimed to have exposed a group of fraudsters in the name of Boss who used to contact acquaintances and receive money in the name of Boss, who fooled them by keeping fake voice of Boss and even DP on their mobiles. According to details, South Mumbai South Cyber Police Station (Crime Branch, Mumbai) has claimed to have arrested the accused from Bihar and Jharkhand in a cyber boss fraud case. In connection with the “CEO Boss Fraud” case, a SIM card provider and a Point of Sale (POS) agent and his post-handler associate were arrested from Bihar and Jharkhand. Investigation revealed their involvement in seven such cases. 161 SIM cards, mobile phones and other items were seized. On February 26, 2026, an unknown person contacted a 43-year-old complainant through WhatsApp, posing as a director of the company and got his trust. The fraudster induced the complainant to transfer a total of Rs. 48,60,511. On February 26, 2026, sections 338(3) and 319(2) of the Bharatiya Sanhta (BNS) Act. A case was registered under Sections 66(C) and 66(D).The police have successfully recovered the entire fraudulent amount of Rs.48,60,511. The SIM cards used to contact the complainant were illegally initiated by Aamir Chand Muhammad Khan, an Airtel POS agent based in Siwan, Bihar, by impersonating the company director and the documents and EKYC details of the residents of Bihar He activated hundreds of SIM cards by assigning new numbers to the names of users and another arrested accused, Suraj Pradeep Sao (alias Vishal) Suraj, transferred the transaction payment to Aamir’s Kairtel Payment Bank account through UPI. Based on the information provided and technical analysis, the accused Suraj Kumar Pradeep Kumar Sao who provided 8 SIM cards was arrested on 16 August 2026 from Kumardhobi (Talukacharganda), Dhanbad, Jharkhand.
These accused have committed a total of 7 such crimes. NCRP complaints reveal their involvement in two cases registered at South Division Cyber Police Station, Mumbai (Case Nos. 15/26 and 45/26) as well as one case each in Punjab, Gurugram (Haryana), New Delhi, West Bengal and Tamil Nadu. Items stolen from the arrested accused, 1) 161 Airtel SIM cards 2) Megaphone 3) A POCO mobile phone with ‘Airtel Meter’ app. is, which is used to activate SIM cards
Arrested accused 1) Aamir Chand Mohammad Khan, age 22, resident of Rukndipur, Siwan, Bihar – Airtel SIM distributor
2) Suraj Kumar Pardeep Kumar Sav alias Vishal, resident of Kumardhabi, Dhanbad, Jharkhand is under further investigation. Appeal to citizens
Mumbai Cyber Cell has appealed to citizens that if you receive a WhatsApp message from an unknown number displaying a picture of someone you know asking for money, always contact the person on their known, current number to verify the request. Contact 1930 immediately in case of cyber fraud. Do not allow others to use SIM cards or bank accounts registered in your name. Check how many SIM cards have been issued in your name through Sanchar Saathi portal. South Division Cyber Police Station (Crime Branch, Mumbai) has successfully arrested the SIM card supplier and handler in this case. This was informed here today by Cyber Cell DCP Bajrang Bansode. But don’t fall into the trap if someone asks for money transfer or help, confirm it with the original person.
Maharashtra
Mumbai Mayor Ritu Tawde cleared of spending Rs 25 lakh on media gimmick

Mumbai: Municipal Corporation will spend Rs 25 lakh for the social media promotion of the mayor. Now there are many reactions from political circles and there are discussions in this regard in political circles. Although the Mumbai Municipal Corporation already has its own public relations department and a central social media system, it is seen that a separate proposal of Rs 25 lakh has been proposed for the social media promotion of the mayor’s daily work and programs. This proposal has been presented before the standing committee for approval and it is being told that public representatives of the opposition parties have expressed strong displeasure over this proposal of the local administration. In this context, Mayor Ritu Tawde has now given an explanation. Ritu Tawde said that Runtime Solutions Private Limited was appointed through a tender process proposed 2 years ago to technically handle the official social media of the municipality, mybmc. The proposal to extend the term of this organization, which only provides technical manpower, for 1 year from August 2026 to July 2027 has already been approved by the Standing Committee.
The technical manpower required for the Mayor’s Office’s social media is being provided by this previously appointed organization, and I or my office have not appointed a separate organization for this promotional work or proposed to incur any additional expenditure. This expenditure is part of the integrated technical system of the entire municipality, please do not distort this fact.
Maharashtra
BJP’s new national executive an arrangement of convenience: Shiv Sena(UBT) in ‘Saamana’

Mumbai, Aug 19: The Shiv Sena Uddhav Balasaheb Thackeray (UBT) on Wednesday launched a sharp attack on the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), saying that its newly announced National Executive lacks brilliance and operational autonomy.
The Thackeray camp, in an editorial in the party’s mouthpiece ‘Saamana’, alleged that the long-delayed leadership structure functions primarily “to carry out the preferences of Narendra Modi and Amit Shah, while the party’s ‘real’ machinery relies on external levers of power”.
Highlighting the timeline of the organisational reshuffle, the editorial pointed out that the new lineup was declared seven months after Nitin Nabin assumed the role of National President. ”Finding individuals who will quietly steer the party’s carriage in the exact direction desired by PM Modi and HM Shah should not have taken seven months,” the editorial noted, questioning the operational necessity of the executive body altogether.
The Thackeray camp further highlighted political vulnerabilities in Bihar, pointing out that during the intervening period, Nabin vacated his Bankipur Assembly constituency. The BJP subsequently lost the seat in the by-election — a result the editorial attributed to the strategic presence of Prashant Kishor, claiming it exposed the ruling party’s electoral limitations when faced with formidable tacticians.
The editorial asserted that the BJP’s newly appointed team holds “no actual burden to win elections”, claiming that core election strategy and ground management have been effectively outsourced to state machinery, law enforcement agencies, financial resources, and Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs).
Referencing international discourse, the editorial cited comments by global figures such as US President Donald Trump, Tulsi Gabbard, and Elon Musk regarding EVM vulnerabilities and the reliance on paper ballots in American elections.
The editorial contrasted this with India, criticising the Election Commission and the Supreme Court for repeatedly declining demands to revert to paper ballots.
Among the key organisational appointments, the Thackeray camp levelled strong ethical objections against naming Union Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal as the BJP’s National Treasurer. The editorial argued that placing a cabinet minister in charge of party funds for India’s wealthiest political entity creates an inherent conflict of interest, where state authority over trade policies and licensing could intersect with political fundraising.
Pointing to the BJP’s reported treasury reserves exceeding Rs 7,000 crore and its extensive network of nationwide offices, it asserted that Goyal should have resigned from his government post before taking up the organisational role.
The editorial detailed several prominent shifts in the new lineup. Ram Madhav was reassigned to a prominent role within the National Executive following an absence linked to previous allegations regarding Jammu & Kashmir tenders made by former Governor Satya Pal Malik. Amit Malviya has been removed from the National IT Cell. Deepak Mhashe has been brought in as his replacement. Smriti Irani returns to party organisational responsibilities. Vasundhara Raje Scindia and senior Maharashtra leader Vinod Tawde retain their positions as General Secretaries, the editorial added.
The inclusion of Bharati Pawar from Maharashtra comes as a surprise to state party ranks, it said.
Meanwhile, Tariq Mansoor stands as the sole Muslim face accommodated in the new National Executive, added the editorial.
Dismissing the reshuffle as an “arrangement of convenience”, the Uddhav Thackeray-led Shiv Sena remarked that while formal organisational titles have been distributed, the primary levers controlling the BJP’s electoral apparatus remain strictly centralised.
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
