International News
Pakistani man convicted of plotting with Iran to assassinate Trump
New York, March 7: A Pakistani man has been convicted of plotting with Iran to assassinate US President Donald Trump in a verdict handed down coincidentally while Washington and Tehran are locked in a war.
A Federal jury on Friday found Asif Merchant guilty of trying to hire hitmen to kill Trump and, possibly, other politicians, under the direction of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC).
The 47-year-old Pakistani faces life in prison when he is sentenced.
The plot was to have taken place in 2024 during the presidential campaign, but was foiled because a fellow Pakistani he approached for help with the plot was an informant for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
“The FBI and our partners stopped that deadly plot,” the agency’s Director Kash Patel said after the verdict.
“This was not the first attempt by Iran to harm our citizens on US soil; the other efforts also failed”, he added.
Merchant was arrested in July 2024 as he was leaving the US and charged in the case the next month.
War Secretary Pete Hegseth said on Wednesday that the US killed the Iranian mastermind of the plot, but did not identify the person.
The dates for the trial that started last week in a Brooklyn Federal court in the city were set long before the Iran conflict.
The judge presiding over the trial, Eric Komitee, remarked about the coincidence, “This trial is happening in interesting times”.
During the trial, Merchant admitted to participating in the plot, claiming it was because of threats by Iran against his family in that country.
He said that he received spycraft training from the IRGC and was also given two other names besides Trump for possible attacks — President Joe Biden and Nikki Haley, the Indian American politician who initially pursued the Republican Party presidential nomination.
Merchant had two wives, one in his homeland, Pakistan, and another in Iran, which he visited often and where he was recruited by the IRGC.
The prosecution said that he began working for the IRGC in Pakistan in 2022 or 2023, and by his own admission, was sent later in 2023 to the US to look for IRGC recruits.
The prosecutor in the case, Nina Gupta, told the court on Monday that Merchant used a clothing business as cover for the operation, and he wanted to attack those whom he believed were against “Pakistan and the Muslim world”.
He told the court that his mission was changed the next year and sent back to the US to hire “Mafia” members to steal documents, organise protests, and arrange the assassination of one of the three politicians who were targeted.
According to the prosecution, he contacted an acquaintance in New York identified as Nadeem Ali to help with the plot.
Ali, who was an FBI informant, notified the agency, and undercover officers came on board pretending to be hitmen for hire, according to the prosecution’s case.
Merchant gave the undercover officers a $5,000 down payment to carry out the assassination, and he was recorded sketching out the plot on a napkin in a New York hotel room.
In a secret recording of a meeting with the undercover agents played in court, Merchant told them, “Maybe you can, say, kill someone”.
And he added, “Maybe it’s some political person”.
The prosecution said that he searched the internet for places where Trump was holding rallies.
In another coincidence, totally unrelated to Merchant’s plot, a day after his arrest, a man tried to assassinate Trump at a rally in Pennsylvania, missing him by inches, with the bullet grazing his ear.
International News
Sensex ends flat, Nifty gains marginally as oil surge, US-Iran tensions weigh

Indian equity markets ended on a mixed note on Friday, with the benchmark indices largely flat as global equities retreated following a rebound in bond yields, while rising crude oil prices amid simmering tensions between the US and Iran kept investors cautious.
The Sensex gained just 3.11 points to settle at 77,540.83, while the Nifty edged up 20.15 points, or 0.08 per cent, to close at 24,252.00.
Commenting on Nifty technical outlook, experts said that the 24,000–24,200 zone remains the key support base, reinforced by heavy Put open interest at the 24,000 strike.
“On the upside, this week’s high of 24,360 falls within the broader 24,300–24,400 resistance zone, making this the immediate hurdle for the index,” an analyst stated.
“A sustained move above 24,360–24,400 could trigger a quick advance towards 24,500–24,600,” a market expert mentioned.
Despite the marginal gains in the day’s session, both the Sensex and Nifty declined for the second consecutive week, reflecting continued concerns over global market conditions and geopolitical risks.
Among the major Nifty losers, Trent, Maruti Suzuki India and InterGlobe Aviation came under pressure and ended among the top-performing stocks on the downside.
The broader market, however, showed some resilience. The Nifty MidCap index rose 0.1 per cent, while the Nifty SmallCap index gained 0.69 per cent.
Sectorally, the Nifty FMCG, Nifty Auto and Nifty IT indices underperformed the broader market. In contrast, the Nifty Metal and Nifty Private Bank indices emerged as the key outperformers during the session.
Experts said that market sentiment remained cautious as investors continued to track movements in global bond yields, crude oil prices and developments surrounding tensions between the US and Iran.
“The elevated global bond yields continue to cause worry in the market. The recent US Treasury’s move to ease the bond yields failed to provide lasting comfort, given surging crude prices and persistent inflation fears,” the analyst stated.
International News
Baloch group condemns Pakistani airstrikes in Balochistan, calls for international probe

The Baloch National Movement (BNM) organised a protest demonstration and rally in the Netherlands condemning the recent airstrikes by the Pakistan air force in Balochistan’s Surab district that reportedly killed more than 30 civilians, including women and children.
Addressing the rally, the BNM activists described the Surab attack as a severe “humanitarian tragedy” and criticised the international community’s silence over what they described as the growing threats to civilian lives across Balochistan. They stressed that human rights conditions in the province have been deteriorating rapidly.
Expressing deep concern over civilian casualties, including women and children, the demonstrators urged international bodies to take immediate notice of the bombardment in Surab and bring those responsible to justice.
The incident took place in the early hours of August 12 when the Pakistani air force reportedly carried out indiscriminate bombardment in residential areas in the Gidar area of Surab, killing civilians and causing significant damage to properties.
“Participants appealed to the United Nations, the European Union, and global human rights organizations to conduct an independent and transparent investigation into the Surab incident to establish the facts. They also called on Dutch civil society, political leaders, and European nations to pay attention to ongoing rights violations in Balochistan and advocate for the affected families,” the BNM stated.
The BNM activists reaffirmed their resolve to continue raising awareness across the Netherlands and other European nations, while calling for civilian protection and the restoration of human rights in Balochistan.
Earlier this week, the President of the Baloch American Congress, Tara Chand, wrote to US President Donald Trump seeking urgent intervention over Pakistani military airstrikes in Surab.
In his letter addressed to Trump, Chand wrote, “We respectfully urge your administration to investigate these serious allegations and determine whether any US-origin aircraft, weapons, drones, technology, components, or other military equipment were used in the reported operation.”
On behalf of the Baloch community, he also urged the American administration to investigate the reported airstrikes and civilian casualties in Surab, determine whether US-origin military equipment or technology was involved, and conduct appropriate end-use and compliance reviews of relevant US defence equipment supplied to Pakistan.
Chand further called on the American authorities to support an independent investigation and accountability for any violations of US law, arms-transfer conditions, or international humanitarian law as well as review relevant US military assistance or transfers if credible evidence establishes that such equipment was misused against Baloch civilians.
“Mr. President, a Baloch child’s life is as precious as the life of any child anywhere in the world. We are not asking the United States to prejudge the evidence—we are asking your Administration to establish the truth, protect civilians, and ensure accountability. We would welcome the opportunity to provide available documentation and meet with appropriate US officials regarding this urgent matter,” the letter mentioned.
International News
Hasina calls 2004 Dhaka grenade attack one of Bangladesh’s ‘most brutal, shameful’ chapters

Marking the 22nd anniversary of the 2004 deadly grenade attack on an Awami League rally at Bangabandhu Avenue in Dhaka, former Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina described the tragedy as one of the most “brutal and shameful” chapters in the country’s history.
The Awami League mentioned that during the attack, twenty-four leaders and activists of the party and its associate bodies were killed, while over 300 others suffered splinter injuries.
Among those killed were Ivy Rahman, then Mohila Awami League chief and also the wife of former Bangladesh President Zillur Rahman.
According to the party, many of those injured became crippled for life, while Hasina, then opposition leader, narrowly escaped the attack with ear injuries, from which she continues to suffer.
The Awami League alleged that the “barbaric attack” on August 21, 2004, was carried out by terrorist group Harkat Ul Jihad (HuJI) at the behest of the then Bangladesh Nationalist Party-Jamaat-e-Islami coalition government.
In a statement shared by the Awami League on its social media platform X, Hasina recalled the attack, saying it was aimed at destroying democratic politics in Bangladesh.
“The attack sought to destroy our democratic politics and once again bring the politics of confrontation into the mainstream – a trajectory that had begun with the assassination of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and his family on August 15. We are subjected to propaganda claiming that we were responsible for destroying democracy in Bangladesh,” Hasina stated.
Urging the younger generation to examine Bangladesh’s history objectively, she said, “I want to tell the new generation: study history objectively. Look at who carried out the August 15 assassination. Who killed the four national leaders inside a secured prison? Who seized state power illegally by establishing military rule? Who enacted the Indemnity Ordinance? Who formed the so-called “King’s Party”? Who sought to eliminate political opponents through grenade attacks in an attempt to consolidate their grip on power?
The former Prime Minister further alleged that the forces favouring an anti-independence political agenda had regained ground in Bangladesh following August 5, 2024
“Those who have repeatedly sought to steer Bangladesh along an anti-independence political trajectory re-emerged on the political stage after August 5, 2024. Deceiving the people and conspiring to assassinate me and destroy the Awami League were the principal objectives of August 5. Further evidence of this is the killing of numerous leaders and activists of our party across the country since August 5, along with physical attacks and baseless cases brought against them,” Hasina mentioned.
She reaffirmed that the Awami League would remain steadfast in their determination to overcome all obstacles and build the “Sonar Bangla” envisioned by Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman — “a secular, modern, and welfare-oriented Bangladesh.”
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
