Connect with us
Friday,29-August-2025
Breaking News

Crime

NGT seeks action plan against environmental violation near Taj Mahal

Published

on

Taj-Mahal

The National Green Tribunal has directed a joint panel headed by Taj Trapezium Zone Pollution Authority and the Uttar Pradesh Pollution Control Board to prepare a remedial action plan in a plea alleging environmental violations hazard to the Yamuna river and Taj Mahal.

The principal bench of the NGT headed by Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel was hearing a plea against the operation of stone crushers and other such industries in the Agra district in violation of environmental norms.

As per the petitioner, the stone crushers are also using groundwater by deep boring without requisite permission. They are neither maintaining distance nor safe distance from the habitations. The pollution is adversely affecting the public health and the environment apart from being a hazard to the Yamuna river and Taj Mahal, it said.

Acting on the grievance, a joint committee had, on February 22 reported that some units were found operating while some units were not operating. They were extracting groundwater which stands exempted by the state from regulation for the small industries. It was also found that out of 35 units, only 16 units are operational having valid consent from the State Pollution Control Board, and rest of the 19 units are closed as per the direction of closure order issued from the State Pollution Control Board.

As the village land of Tantpur, Ghaskata and Gugaband is not too much fertile and has rocky land, the only business is red stone cutting and selling of stone pieces, it said.

After hearing the submissions, the tribunal said: “We are of the opinion that the report mentioned above is not complete. The units in question may be small falling in Green Category as per classification of CPCB, as submitted by the State PCB. There can be no objection to helping them in all legal ways but not at the cost of the right of other citizens to access potable water and to clean environment, including conservation of groundwater meant for all.”

Referring to the Supreme Court order, the tribunal said permitting small industries in Taj areas can also not mean violation of environmental norms when the so-called green category is not in fact environmentally benign.

Accordingly, the green court asked the concerned departments to hold a joint meeting within one month and prepare an action plan for remedial action in regard to the ground situation to support the ‘Sustainable Development’ principle.

Crime

Uttar Pradesh Cyber Fraud: 100-Year-Old Ex-Merchant Navy Officer Duped Of ₹1.29 Crore In ‘Digital Arrest’ Scam; Case Registered

Published

on

Lucknow: At 100 years of age, Hardev Singh had lived through wars, seen India’s independence, and spent a long career in the Merchant Navy. But nothing prepared him for the ordeal he faced last week in his own home in Lucknow, when a group of cyberfraudsters held him under what police describe as “digital arrest” for six straight days.

The nightmare began when Singh picked up a call from an unfamiliar number. On the other end were men posing as officers of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). They accused him of being linked to a money laundering case and warned of dire consequences if he did not cooperate.

What followed was psychological captivity. Singh was ordered to stay on the call constantly, cut off from the outside world, unable to tell anyone what was happening. The callers directed him to remain isolated while they demanded details about his finances.

The deception deepened when Singh’s son returned home and learned of the situation. Hoping to shield his father from further harassment, he took over the call. But the fraudsters threatened him too, insisting that money must be transferred to several bank accounts for “verification.” They promised that every rupee would be returned once checks were complete.

Fearful and under pressure, Singh’s son complied, transferring ₹1.29 crore in multiple installments. The promised refunds never came. It was only then that the family realized they had been the victims of a sophisticated cybercrime operation.

The ordeal ended with a complaint to the national cybercrime helpline (1930), after which a case was registered at Sarojini Nagar police station. Investigators are now tracking the fraudsters using the mobile numbers and bank details shared by the family.

Police officials say cases of “digital arrest” are on the rise, with scammers using fake identities of enforcement agencies to intimidate victims. Elderly people, often more trusting of authority, are particularly vulnerable.

For Singh, the experience has left scars beyond the massive financial loss. “They stole our peace of mind more than the money,” a family member said. “My father spent a century building a life, only to be tricked in his twilight years.”

Continue Reading

Crime

Mumbai Police Nab 30-Year-Old With Illegal Firearm In Vikhroli

Published

on

Mumbai: The Mumbai Police Crime units 7 has registered a case under the Arms Act after apprehending a 30-year-old man in possession of an illegal firearm near Tagore Nagar, Vikhroli West.

According to officials, on August 28 around 10:30 am, acting on confidential information, a police team intercepted a suspect near the Vikhroli Station bus stop on the highway.

The accused, identified as Irfan Mustafa Ansari (30), a garment trader and resident of Turbhe Naka, Navi Mumbai, was found carrying a country-made iron pistol valued at ₹50,000 along with two live cartridges worth ₹500, without any legal license.

Police said Ansari was in violation of the prohibitory orders issued by the Mumbai Police Commissioner regarding possession of arms. He was immediately taken into custody. A case has been registered at Vikhroli Police Station under Sections 3 and 25 of the Indian Arms Act. The seized property, totaling ₹50,500, has been taken into evidence. The case is currently being investigated further by Crime Branch, Unit-

Continue Reading

Crime

Mumbai Airport Drug Bust: 19.65 Kg Hydroponic Weed Worth ₹19.65 Crore Seized At CSMIA, 4 Arrested For Smuggling From Thailand

Published

on

Mumbai: The Mumbai Airport Customs officials have arrested four persons in three cases for allegedly smuggling drugs totally weighing 19.65 kgs valued at Rs 19.65 crore from Thailand.

According to the Customs, in the first two cases, on the basis of spot profiling, the Customs officers at Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (CSMI), Mumbai, intercepted two passengers arriving from Bangkok on 26.08.2025.

During the examination of the baggage, the Customs officers recovered 11.64 kg of suspected hydroponic weed (marijuana), with an illicit market value of approximately Rs 11.64 crores. The narcotic substance was cleverly concealed inside the checked-in trolley bag carried by the passengers. Two passengers were arrested under the provisions of the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act.

“In the third case, on the basis of specific intelligence, the Customs officers at CSMIA intercepted two passengers arriving from Phuket on 27.08.2025. During the examination of the baggage, the Customs officers recovered 8.01 kg of suspected hydroponic weed (marijuana), with an illicit market value of approximately Rs 8.01 crores. The narcotic substance was cleverly concealed inside the checked-in trolley bag carried by the passengers, who were later placed under arrest,” said a Customs official.

“As the investigation in the case is at a very preliminary stage, efforts are also being made to identify and apprehend key associates of the accused persons. Both the accused have been arrested and further probe is on,” the Customs official said.

Continue Reading

Trending