Connect with us
Thursday,03-April-2025
Breaking News

Education

NEET UG Row: What Does The Government Need To Submit Before Supreme Court?

Published

on

NEET UG Row: What Does The Government Need To Submit Before Supreme Court?

During the NEET-UG exam hearing on Monday, the Supreme Court admitted that the paper had been leaked and stated that it was crucial to determine whether the breach was significant enough to conduct a reexamination. A three judge panel comprising Chief Justice of India D Y Chandrachud and Justices J B Pardiwala and Manoj Misra stated that a retest must be conducted if it is not possible to separate candidates who have been the beneficiaries of fraud from those who have not.

The next hearing is set for July 11. Based on their responses in the case, the Supreme Court stated that a decision regarding a retest would be made during the ensuing proceedings.

NTA ordered to provide full disclosure

The National Testing Agency (NTA) has been compelled by the court to provide disclosures. The Union government and NTA were questioned by the Supreme Court multiple times during the hearing over the timing of the question framing. Before exams, how were they stored, when were they printed, and when were they transported?

It further stated that the order of events made it evident that the NEET-UG question paper had been leaked. It did, however, add that it must be determined whether the question paper leak was sufficiently widespread to warrant a reexamination. CJI Chandrachud remarked, “After all, we are dealing with the lives and careers of 23 lakh students.”

“The fact that the sanctity of the exam has been compromised is beyond doubt…it is an admitted fact that there is a leak, and the nature of the leak is something that the court needs to examine. What steps did the NTA and central government take to identify the reasons for the leak,” the CJI asked.

“What has the government done so far to identify the beneficiaries of the paper leak? And what is it doing to ensure that this paper leak does not happen in the future,” the CJI posed the questions to the centre.

CJI said, “It can broadly be classified into 3 aspects: (1) nature of leak (2) places where leak took place and (3) lag of time between occurrence of leak and conduct of exam.” NTA was also asked to make a full disclosure on the steps taken so far for identification of beneficiaries on their part and whether it is feasible to identify suspect cases using data analytics.

The court also suggested that the government may consider setting up a multi-disciplinary committee consisting of experts to ensure measures are being taken to stop any further breaches in the future. If such a committee has been set up then full details need to be submitted to the court, CJI said. 

Disclosure sought from CBI as well

The top court set a further hearing for Thursday, July 11, and instructed the CBI to submit a progress report on the investigation into the document leak FIRs by Wednesday.


The bench was deliberating over thirty complaints concerning the contentious medical admission exam. These included petitions alleging malpractice and anomalies in the examination administered on May 5 and requesting an order to retake it.

In addition, more than fifty Gujarat-based NEET-UG students who were successful are presenting a separate appeal to the court asking for a ruling prohibiting the Centre and the National Testing Agency (NTA) from calling off the exam.

Crime

Four arrested for duping CET aspirants by promising them success

Published

on

Mumbai: Mumbai Crime Branch has claimed to have arrested four fraudsters for duping aspirants by promising to increase success rate and ratio in MBA, MHCET and other government exams. Crime Branch has busted a gang which stole the data of candidates registered and enrolled in State CET Cell Mumbai MBA, MHCT exams and contacted a total of 72 candidates from Maharashtra through mobile phones, luring them to get admission in prestigious colleges and demanding Rs 15 to 20 lakh.

Crime Branch Unit 5 has taken action in this case, while the case was registered at Azad Maidan Police Station in Mumbai. The accused involved in this case used to make calls and audio and video calls through WhatsApp to the affected candidates of Gujarat, Maharashtra, Bihar, Rajasthan and other states and extorted lakhs of rupees from them by luring them to increase percentage in MBA, MHCT exams. Police have claimed to have arrested 4 accused from New Delhi using modern technology in this case. More arrests are expected in this case, as important action has been taken by wearing masks.

DCP Datta Nalawade said that complaints were being received from various districts of Maharashtra that there was manipulation in government examinations and the percentage of admission in prestigious colleges was being increased by hacking the website. The Crime Branch took action and arrested four accused. These accused told that if any center including Beed, Jalna and Parbhani is selected in the state of Maharashtra, then they will play an important role in making it successful. This action was taken on the instructions of Mumbai Police Commissioner Vivek Phansalkar.

Continue Reading

Education

CBSE pattern in Maha govt schools from academic year 2025-26: Education Minister Bhuse

Published

on

Mumbai, March 20: Maharashtra Education Minister Dadaji Bhuse announced on Thursday that the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) pattern will be implemented in government schools across the state from the academic year 2025-26.

Textbooks under CBSE will be made available in Marathi by April 1.

The Education Department has issued instructions to the schools governed by the state education boards to implement the CBSE curriculum, the Minister told the Legislative Council.

The minister replied to the question raised by the BJP legislator Prasad Lad. He wanted to know whether the Steering Committee has approved the curriculum plan of the CBSE especially when the implementation of the National Education Policy for schools from class 3 to 12 is underway in the state.

“CBSE pattern will be implemented from the academic year 2025-2026 and the government has taken this decision with an aim of improving the quality of students in the state,” said the minister.

His announcement comes days after the Steering Committee had approved the State Curriculum Framework in relation to the school education department.

Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis had reviewed the work of all the departments including the school education department for the next 100 days.

Accordingly, he had expressed confidence in the meeting of the School Education Department that Maharashtra would once again come to the forefront of school education.

The Chief Minister directed that the Education Department should take steps for quality education.

He has also directed the School Education Department about the adoption of the CBSE pattern in the state government schools by making necessary changes.

Continue Reading

Education

Assembly member Abu Asim Azmi demands filling of the post of Minister of Minority Affairs, requests special attention to the level of education

Published

on

Mumbai: Maharashtra Samajwadi Party leader and MLA Abu Asim has demanded grants to schools, assistance to minority institutions and introduction of educational scholarships. Minorities, especially Muslims, are facing problems in the state due to pending issues of the minority community in the state. Assembly member Abu Asim Azmi has sent a letter to the Minister of Minority Affairs demanding immediate attention to the issues and pending issues of Muslims and also requested to resolve the issues.

In the letter, Azmi said that the free matriculation scholarship given to minority students in the state has been stopped and the dropout rate of students leaving Turkish education schools is around 50 percent and there is a fear that the dropout rate will increase due to the discontinuation of the scholarship. Therefore, the Justice Department should announce Fatima Sheikh Scholarship for students from class 1 to 10. In addition, Rs 5,000 is provided for vocational courses as no government subsidy is provided for courses like microbiology. The education grant for minority students will be increased from Rs 35,000 to Rs 40,000. There is also a need to consider what steps the government should take to ensure this and start scholarships.

The government’s decision to provide a grant of Rs 10 lakh for infrastructure facilities to minority schools was implemented during the model code of conduct for the assembly elections, but no proposal has been sought in this regard yet. The proposal for the year 2023-24 under the grant scheme for infrastructure facilities to minority schools is pending due to the model code of conduct for the Lok Sabha elections and the grant has not been distributed to the schools yet. Steps should also be taken to distribute the grant to eligible schools of minority communities.

The above vacancies are for officers and employees in the Maulana Azad Economic Development Corporation and the Ministry of Minority Development, established for the betterment of the minority community. Only 20% of the grants sanctioned for the betterment of the minority community have been spent so far and the above mentioned vacant posts should be filled up by making appointments as early as possible.

Continue Reading

Trending