Connect with us
Tuesday,17-May-2022
Breaking News

Crime

Mundka fire: Tears of kin of missing evoke state of despair and grief

Published

on

While at least 27 people died in the massive fire that broke out in the four-storey building in Delhi’s Mundka, over two dozen people are missing and their relatives are enveloped in despair and uncertainty.

An atmosphere of grief pervaded the Sanjay Gandhi Memorial Hospital where the injured, as well as the dead bodies, were taken after the incident on Friday evening.

Hundreds of relatives of those who were caught in the fire are waiting outside the hospital since early on Saturday morning and yet to get any details of their kin

The charred remains also made identification difficult. Meanwhile, the administration is also clueless about the whereabouts of those missing since the tragedy.

Talking to IANS, Sameer Sharma, DCP Outer said: “We rescued around 50 people yesterday. The identification process of the victims has started. So far, only five bodies have been identified.”

He also added that 12 injured persons have been discharged.

“We will initiate the DNA process for those dead bodies which cannot be presently identified. For this, an FSL team will try to complete the identification process within a short span of time,” DCP Sharma added.

While an injured witness told IANS that a meeting was going on with the factory owner when the fire broke out.

She said that since everyone was inside the meeting room, they came to know about the blaze only later.

When they started running from the building, the exit was closed, the witness said, adding that she jumped from the building to save herself.

Meanwhile, BJP MP Hans Raj Hans also visited the hospital on Saturday and said that “we should learn from this tragedy to avoid future incidents”.

He also slammed the authorities for not properly checking the fire licenses.

Meanwhile, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, who also visited the site, said that the “guilty won’t be spared” and has ordered a magisterial enquiry into the incident.

He said that the kin of the deceased will be provided an ex-gratia relief of Rs 10 lakh each, while the injured will be given Rs 50,000 per person by the Delhi government.

Continue Reading

Crime

2 Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist associates arrested from Jammu and Kashmir’s Budgam

Published

on

By

Two terrorist associates of proscribed terror outfit LeT were arrested by a joint team of security forces in J&K’s Budgam on Tuesday, police said.

Jammu and Kashmir Police, at a checkpoint established at Chandpora area of Budgam along with the Army and the CRPF, arrested the two, identified as Zahid Ahmad Sheikh, resident of Alamnag Poshkar Khag, and Sahil Bashir Dar, resident of Mamath, Budgam.

Incriminating materials of proscribed terror outfit LeT, explosive material and ammunition including a hand grenade, two pistol magazines and 15 AK-47 rounds have been recovered from their possession.

Police have registered a case and investigation has been initiated.

Continue Reading

Crime

Wanted to meet wife, conman Sukesh twice went on hunger strike in jail

Published

on

By

Jailed conman Sukesh Chandrashekhar twice went on hunger strike at the Tihar jail in protest against the prison authorities.

The conman wanted the Jail authorities to relax ‘inmate meeting’ rules for him as he wanted to meet his wife, who is also lodged at the Tihar prison, more than two times a month.

He protested twice and later went on a hunger strike for 10 days and then again for nine days, it was officially learnt on Tuesday.

Director General (Prisons) Sandeeep Goyal told that Sukesh didn’t eat food from April 23 to May 2 and then again from May 4 to May 12. “During this period he was put on IV fluid/Glucose (Intravenous) in the Jail dispensary,” Goyal said.

The top prison official informed that Sukesh was demanding to arrange a meeting with his wife Leena Maria Paul, who is currently lodged in Jail no.6 of Tihar Jail.

“In this connection, he is already being allowed ‘inter-jail mulaqat’ with his wife twice a month, i.e., on every 1st and 3rd Saturday of a month, as allowed to other inmates,” Goyal said, adding that the accused conman wanted extra ‘mulaqat’ in addition to these, which was not allowed. For this misconduct, a Jail punishment was also made against Sukesh Chandrashekhar.

Reportedly, there are 32 criminal cases registered against the couple — Sukesh and Leena — that are pending before the Courts.

Born in a lower middle-class family in Karnataka’s Bengaluru, Sukesh always dreamt of being a millionaire in his life and to materialise his dream, he was determined to earn money by hook or by crook. He started conning people from the age of 17. In 2007, he duped around 100 people of Rs 75 crore on the pretext of providing them a job. At that time he posed as a high-ranking bureaucrat. Later, after many years he also duped politician TTV Dhinakaran of Rs 50 crore.

Delhi Police’s Crime Branch arrested Sukesh on Dhinakaran’s complaint and he was lodged at Tihar Jail.

What was more astonishing was that the conman continued to run the racket from inside of the Tihar Jail. He is accused of extorting Rs 200 crore from the family of former Fortis Healthcare and Ranbaxy Lab promoters Shivinder and Malvinder Singh within the premises of the prison.

The Delhi Police had in November 2021 filed a charge sheet against the accused conman, his wife Leena Maria Paul and 12 others in the same case of duping Malvinder’s wife of Rs 200 crore.

The Economic Offence Wing (EOW) of Delhi Police had written to the Tihar Jail authorities to take action against 82 jail officials who allegedly helped inmate Sukesh by providing him luxurious facilities inside the prison.

In the letter, accessed that the EOW had mentioned the names of all the 82 jail officials.

Initially, Sukesh was lodged at Rohini prison complex and then shifted to Tihar Jail number 4 and now he is currently lodged at Jail number 1 of the Tihar prison.

During the probe, the CCTV footage of ten cameras of the Rohini jail were collected and examined and it was found that the view of CCTV cameras installed in the barrack of accused Sukesh was completely blocked by using curtains and putting mineral water bottles in front of the camera.

The EOW had mentioned in the letter that no action was taken to remove the objects from the view of the camera and for this jail officials got a hefty amount from Sukesh and his associates.

“Further, from the statements of the arrested Jail Officials and documents, facts and evidence collected during investigation, it has come out that the money was paid to all the staff irrespective of their duties as bribe to ensure that they keep themselves away from spilling beans and remain silent. The officials of the Jail No 10, Rohini Jail, have also been found involved in taking undue favour from the accused persons, hence, a detailed enquiry/investigation is required to be conducted to reach at a logical conclusion,” an excerpt from the letter read.

It has been learnt that inmate Sukesh used to pay around Rs 1.50 crore every month for luxury facilities without any hindrance.

Continue Reading

Crime

Plans of militants to push Kashmiri Pandits out of Valley will be defeated: Jammu and Kashmir Police

Published

on

By

The Jammu and Kashmir Police on Tuesday said the killing of Rahul Bhat, a state government employee, by terrorists was a part of their plan to push the Kashmiri Pandits out of the valley, which will be defeated.

Vijay Kumar, Inspector General of Police (Kashmir) was speaking to the protesting Kashmiri Pandits in Budgam district and urged them not to fall prey to the militant designs to leave the Valley.

“This is the plan of the militants and their masters across and this has to be foiled by all means,” the IGP said.

He assured the Pandit community of every help and promised them better and enhanced security cover in the days ahead.

He added that the shortcomings in the security grid will be addressed very soon and at the same time terrorism would be eradicated.

The Kashmiri Pandit community has been protesting continuously for the last six days against the killing of their colleague last week.

Assuring the protesters, the IGP said, “Everyone including police, army and even local people will have to fight against terrorism.

“I urge the protesters not to do anything that will make our enemy successful. To push you out of Kashmir is the plan of militants and their masters which has to be foiled you and us collectively.”

He said attacking the Kashmiri Pandit community is a ploy to drive them out of Kashmir which will never be allowed to succeed.

Continue Reading

Trending