Connect with us
Sunday,24-May-2026
Breaking News

General

Mumbai: Students in limbo after MU postpones winter semester exams indefinitely

Published

on

Mumbai University

“A bunch of students in the LLB department have full-time jobs. We sent in leave applications to our offices to make sure that we were present for our tests and then suddenly the exams were withdrawn. It might be very difficult to get leaves again,” said Sagar Birade, a BLS LLB student at Mumbai university

Mumbai: Nearly 50,000 are facing uncertainty with their academic year as the University of Mumbai(MU) has put off its winter semester examinations for all non-agricultural undergraduate and postgraduate courses until further notice. Several LLB, LLM, MA, MSc, and MCom students amongst others had already begun appearing for their examinations at MU and its affiliated colleges when the non-teaching staff decided to boycott all exam-related activities to meet demands of their protest. After appearing for the exams slated on Thursday, February 2, 2023, the students received a notice from their colleges announcing the postponement of all tests until further notice.

Lectures go on while exams on halt

It is business as usual for lectures and vivas at MU, whereas all ongoing written tests have been completely put on hold. “I have shifted to Mumbai from Jalgaon to finish my master’s. Our schedule of studying and plans for going back home shamble every time the varsity changes its timetable. The whole process of taking an exam becomes very stressful since the university is also known to delay our results,” said Ritesh Chaudhari, an MA student.

Those who have been juggling their jobs alongside their education were irked by this sudden announcement by the university. “After taking my first LLB exam, I was told that the next three papers have been postponed and there is no telling when they’ll conduct those. A bunch of students in LLB have full-time jobs. We sent in leave applications to our offices to make sure that we were present for our tests and then suddenly the exams were withdrawn. It might be very difficult to get leaves again,” said Sagar Birade, a BLS LLB student at Mumbai university.

Protests will stop once the GR is issued

The Non-Agricultural University and College Servants Joint Action Committee, on February 2, 2023, vowed to boycott all exam-related activities within Mumbai universities and all other affiliated colleges to meet their demands of recruiting for the vacant non-teaching staff positions, implementing salary benefits under seventh pay commission, old pension scheme among others benefits.

“Non-teaching staff at non-agricultural colleges is the only demographic in the educational sector that is not paid according to the seventh pay commission. We don’t mean to trouble students but there have been countless meetings for this since 2019, and no GR ever came out of it.

We are willing to cease the agitation even if the higher education department immediately implements even a few of our demands,” said Rupesh Malusare, general secretary of the Mumbai Vidyapeeth Karmachari Sangh (MVKS), a non-teaching staff organisation. The new timetable for winter semester exams is to be uploaded on the official Mumbai University website.

Maharashtra

Bandra Garib Nagar demolition drive: Case registered against account holder for spreading rumours on X account, accused of spreading religious hatred

Published

on

Mumbai: Cyber ​​Police has claimed to have registered a case against an X account holder for spreading rumours about demolition work in Mumbai’s Bandra Garib Nagar. According to details, a rumour was spread on an X account yesterday afternoon that there would be riots and violence during the demolition work in Bandra the next day as well. Cyber ​​Bandra has registered a case and started an investigation after the X account holder is accused of spreading hatred and unrest between two communities. The police are investigating the matter further.

Mumbai Police has appealed to citizens not to share any controversial and objectionable content on social media. Action will be taken against those who spread misleading propaganda and baseless rumors on social media. Along with this, the police have also requested to be careful in using social media. The police have asked citizens not to spread unverified information on social media without any verification. If anyone publishes such content or spreads it on social media, action will be taken against him. After this action by Mumbai Police, monitoring has also been started on social media. A rumor was spread on X that the situation in Bandra once again deteriorated after Friday prayers and the police had resorted to lathicharge. The police have taken action on this and a case has been registered on this X account.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

Mumbai: Three gangsters arrested for selling weapons, major operation by Crime Branch, who is investigating the criminal activities of the three

Published

on

Mumbai: The Mumbai Crime Branch’s Anti-Money Laundering Squad has claimed to have arrested three criminals who were coming to sell weapons in Mumbai. Mumbai Crime Branch received information that three people were going to sell weapons near the public toilet on P. D. Mello Road near St. George’s Hospital in Mumbai. On this basis, the Crime Branch laid a trap here and claimed to have arrested the three and recovered three country-made pistol magazines and 45 live cartridges from their possession. All three have criminal cases registered against them. A murder case is also registered against them. Along with this, it is being investigated where these three got this pistol from and to whom they were going to sell it. Which gang do they belong to and who was their target. Along with this, it is also being investigated whether these miscreants are related to Lawrence Bishnoi or any other gang. Mumbai Police has registered a case against them under the Arms Act and the Mumbai Police Act for illegal sale of weapons. The three have been identified as 24-year-old Ghola Arbaaz Jhalawar, 34-year-old Jashanpreet Mangal Singh and 24-year-old Sukhwinder. The police have started further investigation in this case. Accused number one Arbaaz Jhalawar and Sukhwinder are absconding in a murder case since 2022. In this case, the police have arrested the accused and started investigation. This information was given by DCP Detection Raj Tilak Roshan at a press conference here. He said that this action has been taken on the instructions of Mumbai Police Commissioner Devin Bharti. Meanwhile, further investigation is underway in this matter.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

Correction made by the Municipal Corporation in the application form for fire safety approval, important decision of the Additional Municipal Commissioner

Published

on

Necessary amendments have been made regarding Mumbai Fire Safety. Necessary amendments have been made in the relevant forms to clarify that “Temporary Fire Safety Approval” is a recommendation given at the stage of approval of building plan under the Maharashtra Fire Prevention and Life Safety Measures Act, 2006 (Amendment 2026) and is not a “Fire Safety Certificate”. Accordingly, revised application forms have been prepared for new/altered construction, construction of additions/conversions, repair matters, final approval of fire safety as well as temporary constructions, this was informed by Additional Municipal Commissioner (City) Dr. Ashwani Joshi.

Under the Maharashtra Fire Prevention and Life Safety Measures Act, 2006 (Amendment 2026), “Temporary Fire Safety Approval” is a recommendation given at the time of approval of the design of a building and before the actual construction commences, regarding compliance with fire prevention and life safety measures required under the Act. However, it has been found that “Temporary Fire Safety Approval” is in fact only a recommendation in nature, but is being treated as a “Fire Safety Certificate”. Therefore, necessary amendments have been made in the relevant form to clearly state the nature, purpose and its statutory limits and scope of the Temporary Fire Safety Approval. As per the said amendment, the above Fire Safety Approval shall be granted in accordance with the points and terms and conditions mentioned therein. Revised forms have been prepared in this regard. Changes have been made in the provisions of Provisional Fire Safety Approval for New/Altered Construction (N.C.O.), Provisional Fire Safety Approval for Additional/Alternate Construction (A.A.O.), Provisional Fire Safety Approval for Repairs in Additional/Alternate Construction, Fire Safety Approval for Fire AMP. Repairs in New/Modified Construction (N.C.A.), Final Fire Safety Approval and Provisional Fire Safety Approval for Temporary Constructions (T.C.) etc. Architects, Licensed Surveyors, Developers may take note of this, Additional Municipal Commissioner (City) Dr. Ashwini has appealed. Besides, Joshi has directed that the revised application forms be made available on the Municipal Corporation’s website https://www.mcgm.gov.in/irj/portal/anonymous immediately.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending