Maharashtra
Maharashtra woman forced to drink water with human bones powder, ashes to conceive; MSCW seeks report
In a bizarre case of superstitions, a married woman was allegedly forced to consume a concoction of water containing human bone powder and ashes ostensibly to help her get pregnant, police said here on Saturday.
The victim, aged around 27, lodged a complaint with Sinhgad Police Station which swung into action and arrested the woman’s husband Jayant Kokale, his parents, his brother and three others for the torture meted out, said Investigating Officer Inspector Jayant Rajurkar.
Simultaneously, taking serious note, the Maharashtra State Commission for Women Chairperson Rupali Chakankar has sought a detailed report on the shocking allegations.
According to Inspector Rajurkar, the woman was married with the accused in 2019 and the weird black magic rituals were started by the family after she reportedly failed to conceive.
In her complaint, the woman has contended that she was forcibly taken to a crematorium, made to take bath with some strange water mixture and compelled to drink water allegedly mixed with powdered human bones or ashes.
The family also made repeated demands for money from her and fed up with all the harassment, she finally walked out of the Kokale household nearly two years ago, Rajurkar said.
“Presently, in connection with their divorce proceedings, the victim has filed a detailed complaint with the police in which she has narrated her ordeal, how she was subjected to black magic, superstitions and other behaviour during her stay with her husband and in-laws,” Rajurkar.
Taking serious cognisance of the victim’s plaint, the Sinhgad Police have arrested several members of the Kokate clan on various charges under the relevant laws and further investigations are on, including the possible involvement of any local godmen (tantrik) or black magiciains.
On her part, the MSCW chief Chakankar appealed for strict exemplary action by the Pune Police to ensure that similar blind beliefs are not repeated by anyone in future.
Maharashtra
‘Court Orders Were Clear & Specific’: Western Railway Defends Bandra Garib Nagar Demolition Drive

Mumbai: As the massive demolition drive at Garib Nagar in Bandra entered its first day on Tuesday, Western Railway Chief Public Relations Officer Vineet Abhishek defended the action, stating that the operation was necessary for railway safety, critical infrastructure expansion and the larger development of Mumbai.
Speaking to MEDIA about the ongoing demolition drive, Abhishek said the Bombay High Court had issued “very clear and specific instructions” directing Western Railway to remove illegal encroachments from the railway land.
“The judgment says that Western Railways has to immediately clear all illegal structures here. We have to spare 100 hutments. The remaining hutments, which are approximately 500, have to be cleared immediately,” he said.
Abhishek further stated that over 1,000 officials had been deployed for the operation and that the authorities expect to clear and sanitise the area within the next four months.
“Such a handful of illegal encroachments cannot hold the entire Mumbai city hostage,” he said, while emphasising that the action was linked to railway safety and future infrastructure development.
The demolition drive at Garib Nagar began after the Bombay High Court, in its May 5 order, allowed Western Railway to continue the removal of structures built on railway land. However, the court also directed that occupants found eligible during the surveys conducted on August 10 and 11, 2021, must be protected in accordance with existing legal provisions.
According to officials, the drive is being carried out under heavy security deployment. Reports stated that personnel from the Mumbai Police, Railway Protection Force (RPF) and Government Railway Police (GRP) have been stationed in the area to maintain law and order during the operation.
Earlier, the Garib Nagar Rahiwasi Welfare Sangh Society had approached the court alleging that despite an earlier interim order restraining demolition of certain structures, homes belonging to eligible Project Affected Persons (PAPs) had allegedly been razed. The petition claimed the action caused displacement and hardship to families already declared eligible for rehabilitation.
During the hearing, advocate Aayush media, representing the Railways, informed the court that eligible PAPs would be rehabilitated by Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority under the Mumbai One project, which includes the development of Line 6 infrastructure works linked to the railway network.
Maharashtra
Mumbai Encroachment Crackdown: Massive Demolition Drive Begins In Bandra Garib Nagar Days After Bombay High Court Order

Mumbai: A massive 5-day demolition drive has started at Garib Nagar in Bandra on Tuesday, May 19, days after the Bombay High Court allowed Western Railway (WR) to remove unauthorised structures in the area. The demolition drive will be carried out for five days, i.e., from May 19 to May 23. This drive is being carried out in coordination with the civic administration, police officials, and railway security agencies to ensure that law and order are maintained.
The drive came after the Bombay HC, in its May 5 order, permitted WR to continue the demolition drive. However, it also said that the rights of slum dwellers who were found eligible in the 2021 surveys must be protected.
The action is being carried out to clear railway land occupied by illegal structures. Heavy police deployment has been made, and security has been tightened in the area during the demolition process.
around 400 personnel, including Mumbai Police, RPF, and GRP officers, have been deployed for the operation. Fire brigade teams, ambulances, and barricades have also been arranged. Security officials are on alert to avoid any disturbance during the drive.
BJP leader Kirit Somaiya, who is present at the site, also thanked the Railways and the police for the demolition of ‘Bangladeshi’ encroachments at Bandra Terminus.
Earlier, on the demolition drive, a petition was also filed by the Garib Nagar Rahiwasi Welfare Sangh Society. The petition alleged that despite an earlier interim order dated March 18, restraining the Railways from demolishing certain structures listed in the plea, several homes belonging to eligible Project Affected Persons (PAPs) were demolished. The plea further stated that the demolitions caused severe hardship, mental distress, and displacement to families who had already been declared eligible for rehabilitation, thereby violating their fundamental rights under Articles 14, 19, and 21 of the Constitution.
But, on May 5, the Bombay HC allowed WR to proceed with its demolition drive against unauthorised structures. However, the court emphasised that occupants who were found eligible during the surveys conducted on August 10 and 11, 2021, must be protected in accordance with existing legal provisions. Advocate Aayush Kedia, appearing for the Railways, stated that PAPs would be rehabilitated by the MMRDA under the Mumbai One project, which includes the development of Line 6 of the Western Railway.
Business
Petrol Crosses ₹107 In Mumbai After Second Fuel Price Hike In A Week Amid Iran Conflict; Diesel Rises To ₹94

Mumbai: Residents of Mumbai are facing another increase in fuel prices after oil marketing companies on Tuesday raised petrol and diesel rates for the second time within a week amid rising global crude oil prices linked to the ongoing Iran conflict. With the latest revision, petrol prices in Mumbai have climbed by 91 paise to Rs 107.59 per litre, while diesel has become costlier by 94 paise and is now retailing at Rs 94.08 per litre.
The latest increase comes just three days after fuel prices were raised by Rs 3 per litre on Friday, majorly increasing transportation and commuting costs for Mumbaikars already dealing with inflationary pressure. The fresh hike is largely driven by the sharp surge in international crude oil prices due to tensions in West Asia, particularly disruptions linked to the conflict involving Iran.
According to data released by the Petroleum Planning and Analysis Cell under the Petroleum Ministry, the average price of India’s crude oil basket has jumped from USD 69.01 per barrel in February 2026 to USD 110.73 per barrel as of May 15, an increase of over 60 per cent in less than three months.
The situation has been worsened by disruptions in cargo movement through the Strait of Hormuz, through which a major share of India’s crude oil imports traditionally passes. India imports more than 85 per cent of its crude oil requirements, making domestic fuel prices highly sensitive to global market fluctuations.
Mumbai, being one of the country’s largest metropolitan and commercial hubs, is likely to feel the impact more sharply due to its heavy dependence on road transport, logistics and daily commuting.
Taxi operators, app-based cab drivers and transporters have already started expressing concern over the rising operational costs. The repeated hikes are also expected to affect prices of essential goods and services, as transportation expenses rise across the supply chain.
Another factor contributing to the price rise is the weakening of the Indian rupee against the US dollar. With the rupee reportedly touching around 96 against the dollar, oil imports have become more expensive for Indian refiners and oil companies.
Despite the earlier Rs 3 increase, oil marketing companies were reportedly still facing losses after maintaining older fuel rates for nearly 10 weeks amid continuously rising global crude prices. It is also speculated that if geopolitical tensions in West Asia continue or escalate further, Mumbai and other major Indian cities could witness additional fuel price increases in the coming weeks.
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
