Connect with us
Monday,18-May-2026
Breaking News

Maharashtra

Maharashtra govt gets Rs 1.6 crore bill from Swiss firm for Davos stay

Published

on

Maharashtra govt gets Rs 1.6 crore bill from Swiss firm for Davos stay

Eknath Shinde-led Maharashtra government has received a notice from a Switzerland-based company for a bill amounting to Rs 1.58 crore in connection with the Chief Minister and his team’s stay during their visit to the World Economic Forum in Davos earlier this January.

The notice, dated August 28, has been sent by a contractor identified as SKAAH GmbH, which alleged that the state-run Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC) has not paid Rs 1.58 crore dues. The summit was held from January 15-19. While the MIDC has paid over Rs 3.75 crore of the total bill, Rs 1.58 crore are the pending dues. Besides MIDC, the notice is addressed to the CM’s office, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar, and the World Economic Forum, among others.

In response to the notice, MIDC CEO P Velrasu told Indian Express that he was not aware of the notice but would look into the issue.

The issue has also turned into a political slugfest with the Opposition MLAs, including Aaditya Thackeray alleging that the state government overspent on the trip. In response, Maharashtra Minister Uday Samant defended the government saying, “We have not overspent… Our legal team will reply to this notice and see what the issue is.”

The Opposition also said that the issue puts a dent in Maharashtra’s reputation and sends a wrong message to investors.”

The notice also warns of a lawsuit if MIDC fails to clear “the total outstanding amount of Rs 1,58,64,625.90 along with interest at 18 per cent per annum.” It also said that it provided services to more than the designated number of individuals and accommodated all their necessary demands.

The company also said that the issue was impacting the international relations between “India and Switzerland.”

Maharashtra

The Municipal Corporation and the Railway Administration should work together to make Mumbai flood-free, directs Standing Committee Chairman Prabhakar Shinde

Published

on

Mumbai: Emphasis should be given to repair the walls and fences of the railway bridge and widening the bridge outlet. Strong (durable) nets should be installed at the outlet of the culvert. So that along with the drainage of rainwater, garbage coming from residential areas also does not get stuck in the drains. Apart from this, garbage stuck at the outlet should be removed and all the bridges should be cleaned before the monsoon. Standing Committee Chairman Prabhakar Shinde said that the Municipal Corporation Administration and the Railway Administration should work in coordination to ensure that water does not accumulate on the railway tracks and in the areas adjacent to the railway station and to keep Mumbai safe from floods during heavy rains. As part of the pre-monsoon works, the Mumbai Municipal Corporation is rapidly taking up the work of removing garbage from drains in Mumbai. Under this, Standing Committee Chairman Prabhakar Shinde visited the drain cleaning and railway plot cleaning works in the eastern suburbs today (18 May 2026). During this inspection tour, Shinde reviewed the works of railway culverts, drain cleaning, water lifting pumps etc. Prabhakar Shinde inspected the bridge over Neelam Nagar Nallah in Devikarpa Housing Society in Mulund (East), railway flyover over Nanipara Nallah in Railway Yard in Mulund (East), railway flyover over Nallah in Ocean Nagar, bridge over Nallah in Washer. Nallah bridge over Devkibai Chawal in Ghatkopar (East) and railway flyover over Jolly Gymkhana Nallah near Railway Station in Vidya Vihar (East). Local Corporator Rakhi Jadhav, Corporator Dharmesh Giri, Corporator Dr. Archana Bhalrao, Deputy Chief Engineer (Rainwater Channels) Sunil Dutt Russell, Deputy Chief Engineer (Rainwater Channels) (Eastern Suburbs) Sanjay Angale, Senior Divisional Engineer of Central Railway Shri Sachin Panchal and other concerned officers were present on the occasion. During the inspection of the culvert at Nanipara drain in the railway yard in Milind (East), it was found that there is a large population on the western side of the drain and the waste of this population is coming directly into the drain. Since this waste is going directly into the large drain, there is a possibility of blockage in the drain. Keeping this in mind, strong iron nets should be installed on the western side of the drain where there is a population. So that the waste does not come directly into the drain, Shinde directed the railway authorities. The ongoing work of cleaning the drain is satisfactory. However, the work should be expedited to prevent accumulation of rainwater and the remaining work should be completed within the stipulated time. If all the work of cleaning the drain is done, then there will be no water accumulation in Mumbai this year, for this coordination between the Municipal Corporation and the Railway Administration is necessary. Shinde said that both the administrations should work with proper coordination. The walls of all other bridges, including the bridge on Crompton Nallah near Toyo Engineering Company in Kanjurmarg (West), should be repaired before the monsoon season. The Railway Administration should also give high priority to widening the bridge. It should be ensured that the railway cables adjacent to the bridge opening are kept as far away from the ground as possible. So that the garbage flowing in these cables does not get stuck. Shinde said that overall the administration should make efforts to make Mumbai flood-free this year.

Continue Reading

Crime

Dangerous Love Triangle In Mira-Bhayandar: Youth Kidnapped, Brutally Beaten, & Burned With Cigarettes Over Affair With Same Girl

Published

on

Mira Bhayandar: A shocking incident has emerged from the jurisdiction of the Navghar Police Station in the Mira-Bhayandar twin city. A youth was allegedly kidnapped and brutally assaulted over suspicions stemming from a love triangle involving a girl and two young men. The Navghar Police have arrested two accused in connection with the case, while three others remain at large.

According to the information shared by Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Rahul Chavan, the incident took place late at night on May 12 in the Pooja Nagar area of Bhayandar East. The complainant, Shreyas Mishra, was at his residence around 11:30 PM when one of the accused, Ashish Raj, called him downstairs. Once there, the accused individuals forced Mishra into a car.

The attackers drove him around the Mira-Bhayandar area throughout the night, brutally thrashing him at various locations. The victim also alleged that the accused inflicted painful cigarette burns on his body.

Mishra was dropped back home the following morning. However, as his condition deteriorated and grew serious, his family rushed him to a hospital for medical treatment, which eventually brought the horrific ordeal to light.

Following the revelation, the Navghar Police registered a case under relevant sections for kidnapping, robbery, and assault. While two of the accused have been taken into custody, a manhunt has been launched to track down the remaining three fleeing suspects. DCP Rahul Chavan stated that a love triangle appears to be the primary motive behind the crime, and further investigation is underway by the Navghar Police.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

West Bengal ashram bombing: Two accused arrested from Borivali

Published

on

Mumbai: The Crime Intelligence Unit (CIU) of the Mumbai Crime Branch has arrested two absconding accused in the bombing outside an ashram in West Bengal Murshidabad district near Borivali railway station. Both the accused had fled from West Bengal to Mumbai after the incident to avoid arrest and were hiding here. According to the Mumbai Crime Branch, the incident took place on May 14 in the Berhampur police station area of ​​West Bengal’s Murshidabad district. The police said that the incident came to light after tension increased in the area after the declaration of the results of the West Bengal Assembly elections. The arrested accused have been identified as Roki Khan (24) and Shahadat Sarkar (35). Roki Khan is a driver by profession, a resident of Kundi Hotel Para, while Shahadat Sarkar is a labourer from village Natunpura. After taking both the accused into custody, Mumbai Police has completed the legal proceedings and obtained a two-day transit remand and started the process of handing them over to the West Bengal Police. The case was registered on the complaint of Pashupati Nath Saha, a grocery shopkeeper in Majirpara Post Office area. Ali Hussain alias Laden, Hassan SK and three unidentified persons have been named as the main accused in the complaint. According to the police, several other accused are still absconding. According to the investigating officers, the dispute began on May 12 when some unidentified persons tore images from an electric pole near the Maa Durga temple located near the ashram. The situation escalated on the night of May 13. According to the police, “At around 10:45 pm, the accused and their accomplices hurled socket bombs in the open field in front of the ashram. The explosions spread panic in the area and created an atmosphere of fear among the locals. The complainant alleged that at around 10:30 am on May 14, some accused arrived outside his shop on motorcycles and threatened that if he reported the matter to the police, he would be bombed again. After the FIR was registered on May 15, the police launched a search operation. Investigation revealed that the accused had left home and fled to West Bengal. Further investigation revealed that both the accused had reached Mumbai by Gitanjali Express. This information was then given to the Mumbai Crime Branch. Based on technical surveillance and intelligence, the CIU team arrested both the accused near Borivali railway station. This operation was carried out by DCP Raj Roshan Tilak and CIU Crime Branch on the instructions of Mumbai Police Commissioner Deven Bharti. .

Continue Reading

Trending