Maharashtra
Maharashtra Elections 2024: Speculation Swirl Over Which Alliance Benefits From Poll Delay; BJP Says, ‘Opposition Scared,’ Congress Terms Govt ‘Reckless’
Pune: When the Election Commission (ECI) announced the dates for elections in some states, it became evident that the polls in Maharashtra would not take place before Diwali. The panel announced the dates for Haryana, and Jammu and Kashmir, and said the schedule for Maharashtra and Jharkhand would be announced later. Since then, speculation has swirled over which party would benefit from this delay.
Holding the polls in Maharashtra will be a challenge in terms of getting the election staff ready and putting in place security arrangements. The ECI made it clear that the election was being planned taking into consideration the weather (monsoon conditions), the long festive season (Ganesh Chaturthi, Navratri, Diwali) and other factors.
Opposition parties have alleged that the postponement was designed so the ruling party could benefit from recently announced schemes such as the Ladki Bahin Yojana. They have claimed that the government is going to take much longer than initially anticipated to roll out the schemes. The administration wants to deposit at least three installments into the accounts of women and farmers before the election is held, they have said.
Congress Says, ‘People Will Not Forget Actions Of Reckless Govt’
Congress chief state spokesperson Atul Londhe-Patil told that no matter how much the election is delayed, the people will not “forget” the actions of this “reckless government”. “It is really shocking the way things are happening. Incidents such as the collapse of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj’s statue show how reckless this government is”, he said.
“Whether the election is held two months from now or later, it will not make any difference. The people will vote the Mahayuti government out of power,” he said.
BJP Says, ‘Opposition Is Scared’
Asked if the delay will affect the poll results, BJP spokesperson Ajit Chavan said: “People are happy with the Ladki Bahin Yojana and other schemes that our government has rolled out. The opposition is scared about its prospects. Whether the elections take place now or later, the people are with us.”
Spokespersons might toe the party line, but equations on the ground are constantly changing. The Mahayuti might benefit from the newly announced schemes, but clashes between the alliance partners over seat sharing, and disputes between party leaders and aspirants over various constituencies are increasing. That means the more the delay, the more the chances of people rebelling against the ruling alliance. To make it worse, the past few days have seen a number of incidents that reflect badly on the government, like the collapse of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj’s statue in Konkan region. Will these incidents damage the ruling party, or will they fade from public memory? Only time will tell.
Crime
Garib Nagar Demolition: 19 Arrested So Far For Stone-Pelting As Anti-Encroachment Drive Enters Day 4 In Mumbai’s Bandra; 90% Work Completed

Mumbai: Police have arrested 19 people so far in connection with the stone-pelting and violence that erupted during the massive anti-encroachment demolition drive at Garib Nagar in Bandra East, even as Western Railway said nearly 90 per cent of the demolition work has now been completed.
According to police officials, 15 accused were produced before the Bandra court on Thursday and were remanded to police custody till May 26. Three more accused are scheduled to be produced before the court on Friday, while one minor detained in the case has been sent to the Children’s Remand Home. Police said the investigation is still underway and more arrests are likely in the coming days.
The violence had broken out earlier this week after tensions escalated during the demolition of alleged illegal structures near Bandra Terminus. Stone-pelting incidents and clashes with police had turned the area tense, leaving several police personnel injured and prompting authorities to register cases against over 100 people.
Meanwhile, Western Railway’s large-scale anti-encroachment operation continued for the fourth consecutive day on Friday under heavy security deployment. The drive is being jointly carried out by Western Railway, Mumbai Police, civic officials and railway security agencies to ensure law and order is maintained throughout the operation.
Addressing the media, Western Railway Chief Public Relations Officer Vineet Abhishek said proactive arrangements had been made to ensure the demolition process remains smooth, safe and efficient. He stated that around 90 per cent of the demolition work had been completed by the end of Day 3.
“In contrast to the riot-like situation witnessed on Wednesday, Thursday’s demolition drive remained peaceful,” officials said. Nearly 1,100 personnel and 13 machines were deployed on Thursday for what is being described as Western Railway’s biggest anti-encroachment drive in recent years.
Authorities said the operation is now focused on dismantling softer structures and upper-floor portions built above eligible hutments, while ensuring that ground-floor rehabilitation-eligible structures are not damaged.
Officials added that debris removal operations are continuing round-the-clock. “Work does not stop at night and debris-clearing continues continuously,” the railway spokesperson said.
The demolition drive is expected to continue till May 23, after which reduced manpower will remain on-site for post-demolition clearance and fencing work to prevent fresh encroachments on railway land.
Maharashtra
Mumbai Rains Have Arrived! First Pre-Monsoon Showers Witnessed In Mulund

Mumbai: witnessed its first noticeable pre-monsoon showers of the season on Friday, with moderate rainfall reported from Mulund and nearby parts of the eastern suburbs like Bhandup, offering much-needed relief from persistent heat and humidity.
Videos of the showers quickly surfaced on social media, showing wet parked vehicles and rain-soaked surroundings in what residents described as the city’s first proper spell ahead of the monsoon season. The footage, reportedly shot from a residential building parking area in Mulund, captured buses, bikes and cars drenched as rain swept through the locality.
The development comes just days after the India Meteorological Department (IMD) indicated that monsoon conditions were gradually building up. IMD Mumbai Director Bikram Singh had earlier stated that the southwest monsoon is expected to hit Kerala around May 26 and, if conditions progress normally, could reach Maharashtra by June 2 and Mumbai around June 5.
Weather observers tracking rainfall activity across the Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR) had also predicted favourable conditions for showers. Popular weather enthusiast Rishikesh Agre, known online as ‘Mumbai Rains’, had posted earlier in the day that atmospheric conditions appeared conducive for better rain activity across Mumbai and surrounding regions.
“Mumbai may finally witness better rain activity today evening onwards. Yesterday’s clouds briefly developed towards ghats but failed to sustain momentum. Today and tomorrow look far more favourable for showers across several parts of MMR. Keep umbrellas ready,” he wrote on X.
Interestingly, the showers arrived on a day when Mumbai also recorded significantly improved air quality levels. The city woke up to clearer skies and cleaner air, with the overall Air Quality Index (AQI) remaining firmly in the ‘good’ category.
According to air quality data, Mumbai’s AQI stood at 29 during the early hours on Friday. Several localities in south and western Mumbai reported exceptionally clean air. Andheri recorded an AQI of just 8, while Worli stood at 10. Gamdevi recorded 13, while Kandivali East and Walkeshwar both registered AQI levels of 15.
Crime
Navi Mumbai Crime Branch Arrests 3 Nigerian Nationals, Seizes Cocaine Worth ₹1.26 Crore In Vashi’s Juhugaon Raid

Navi Mumbai, May 21: In a major crackdown against narcotics trafficking under the ‘Nasha Mukt Bharat 2028’ campaign, the Navi Mumbai Police Crime Branch arrested three Nigerian nationals during a combing operation in Vashi’s Juhugaon area and seized high-grade cocaine worth Rs 1.26 crore.
The Anti-Narcotics Cell conducted simultaneous raids at four locations in Juhugaon after receiving specific information that a group of Nigerian nationals was stockpiling narcotics for distribution.
During the operation, police raided a house at Hariyali Nivas (House No. 522/3) and apprehended the main accused, identified as Oliver Okechukwu Ugwu (47).
“During the search, we recovered two separate packets containing cocaine-like white powder weighing 146.8 grams and 105.7 grams respectively, collectively valued at Rs 1.26 crore. The total quantity of the seized contraband was 252.5 grams,” police said.
Based on Ugwu’s interrogation, police identified and arrested two more alleged members of the drug racket — Maduyabuki Cosmos Igweoma (49) and Enosent Dada Lavians (35) — from Kopri village.
All three accused were produced before a court, which remanded them to police custody till May 22.
Apart from the cocaine, police also seized 12 expensive mobile phones of different brands and cash allegedly used in the operation.
Police said two more accused, identified as Simian Ekene and Emmanuel Onoyonam, are wanted in the case and efforts are underway to trace them.
Officials are now probing the wider network of the international drug syndicate and investigating who the accused intended to supply the narcotics to in Navi Mumbai.
The investigation is being led by Senior Police Inspector Sandeep Nigde, in-charge of the Anti-Narcotics Cell.
The operation was carried out under the guidance of Assistant Commissioner of Police Dharmapal Bansode by a team comprising Senior Police Inspector Prithviraj Ghorpade, Police Inspector Sandeep Nigde, Assistant Police Inspectors Nilesh Dhumal, Devendra Ovhal, Tushar Mane, Yogesh Deshmukh and other officers.
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
