Connect with us
Wednesday,19-August-2026
Breaking News

Maharashtra

‘Khoke’ ruckus continues to rock Maharashtra politics for fifth day

Published

on

 The ‘khoke’ (crore) row continued to rock Maharashtra politics for the fifth straight day with Chief Minister Eknath Shinde’s group and Opposition Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) targeting each other, here on Thursday.

The Shinde Group legislators lampooned Shiv Sena leader and ex-minister Aditya Thackeray, displaying posters on which he is shown astride a horse facing the opposite direction, outside the Vidhan Bhavan building.

The banners carried slogans like �Yuvrajanchi Disha Chukli’ (the prince missed the route), and Maharashtra’s �pa pu’ or �param pujya’ and calling him the �Prince pappu of Maharashtra, as the Shinde Group MLAs raised slogans to counter MVA legislators.

The posters also ridiculed Aditya Thackeray for doing ‘nothing’ when he was the tourism minister, but instead touring the state now, adding that his ‘adamance’ cost the Shiv Sena its government.

On his part, Aditya Thackeray — the son of ex-CM Uddhav Thackeray — hit back by raising the familiar ’50 Khoke’ (Rs 50 crore in street slang) slogan implying how the Shinde Group MLAs allegedly got the huge amount to switch sides and topple the MVA government of Shiv Sena-Nationalist Congress Party-Congress in June.

Aditya Thackeray even joined the MVA chorus of ’50 Khoke, Chidley Boke’ (Rs 50 crore, irate cats), �gaddars’ (traitors) plus all the other slogans that have rattled the Shinde Group in the past five days of the legislature’s monsoon session, leading to a bout of jostling and fisticuffs on Wednesday.

He dared the Shinde Group’s 40 MLAs to resign from their constituencies and contest the elections afresh, saying, “Let the electorate and masses decide who is right or wrong once and for all.”

The Shinde Group hit back by demanding that first he should quit from his Worli seat where he was perched on the support of other legislators and an ex-Mayor, to which Aditya Thackeray said he would resign after the 40 MLAs from the rival camp quit.

“What they are indulging in is �Ravan Raj’, not ‘Ram Rajya’… I pity them as the 40 MLAs have been denied what they were promised. They should take up the issues of the people, farmers and youth,” said Aditya Thackeray.

The Congress-NCP MLAs also raised slogans demanding a �wet drought’ to be declared in the state, compensation to farmers and other related issues.

Maharashtra

Mumbai Mayor Ritu Tawde cleared of spending Rs 25 lakh on media gimmick

Published

on

Mumbai: Municipal Corporation will spend Rs 25 lakh for the social media promotion of the mayor. Now there are many reactions from political circles and there are discussions in this regard in political circles. Although the Mumbai Municipal Corporation already has its own public relations department and a central social media system, it is seen that a separate proposal of Rs 25 lakh has been proposed for the social media promotion of the mayor’s daily work and programs. This proposal has been presented before the standing committee for approval and it is being told that public representatives of the opposition parties have expressed strong displeasure over this proposal of the local administration. In this context, Mayor Ritu Tawde has now given an explanation. Ritu Tawde said that Runtime Solutions Private Limited was appointed through a tender process proposed 2 years ago to technically handle the official social media of the municipality, mybmc. The proposal to extend the term of this organization, which only provides technical manpower, for 1 year from August 2026 to July 2027 has already been approved by the Standing Committee.

The technical manpower required for the Mayor’s Office’s social media is being provided by this previously appointed organization, and I or my office have not appointed a separate organization for this promotional work or proposed to incur any additional expenditure. This expenditure is part of the integrated technical system of the entire municipality, please do not distort this fact.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

BJP’s new national executive an arrangement of convenience: Shiv Sena(UBT) in ‘Saamana​’

Published

on

Mumbai, Aug 19: The Shiv Sena Uddhav Balasaheb Thackeray (UBT) on Wednesday launched a sharp attack on the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), saying that its newly announced National Executive lacks brilliance and operational autonomy.

The Thackeray camp, in an editorial in the party’s mouthpiece ‘Saamana’, alleged that the long-delayed leadership structure functions primarily “to carry out the preferences of Narendra Modi and Amit Shah, while the party’s ‘real’ machinery relies on external levers of power”. ​

Highlighting the timeline of the organisational reshuffle, the editorial pointed out that the new lineup was declared seven months after Nitin Nabin assumed the role of National President. ​”Finding individuals who will quietly steer the party’s carriage in the exact direction desired by PM Modi and HM Shah should not have taken seven months,” the editorial noted, questioning the operational necessity of the executive body altogether. ​

The Thackeray camp further highlighted political vulnerabilities in Bihar, pointing out that during the intervening period, Nabin vacated his Bankipur Assembly constituency. The BJP subsequently lost the seat in the by-election — a result the editorial attributed to the strategic presence of Prashant Kishor, claiming it exposed the ruling party’s electoral limitations when faced with formidable tacticians. ​

The editorial asserted that the BJP’s newly appointed team holds “no actual burden to win elections”, claiming that core election strategy and ground management have been effectively outsourced to state machinery, law enforcement agencies, financial resources, and Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs). ​

Referencing international discourse, the editorial cited comments by global figures such as US President Donald Trump, Tulsi Gabbard, and Elon Musk regarding EVM vulnerabilities and the reliance on paper ballots in American elections.

The editorial contrasted this with India, criticising the Election Commission and the Supreme Court for repeatedly declining demands to revert to paper ballots. ​

Among the key organisational appointments, the Thackeray camp levelled strong ethical objections against naming Union Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal as the BJP’s National Treasurer. ​The editorial argued that placing a cabinet minister in charge of party funds for India’s wealthiest political entity creates an inherent conflict of interest, where state authority over trade policies and licensing could intersect with political fundraising.

Pointing to the BJP’s reported treasury reserves exceeding Rs 7,000 crore and its extensive network of nationwide offices, it asserted that Goyal should have resigned from his government post before taking up the organisational role. ​

The editorial detailed several prominent shifts in the new lineup. ​Ram Madhav was reassigned to a prominent role within the National Executive following an absence linked to previous allegations regarding Jammu & Kashmir tenders made by former Governor Satya Pal Malik. Amit Malviya has been removed from the National IT Cell. Deepak Mhashe has been brought in as his replacement. Smriti Irani returns to party organisational responsibilities. Vasundhara Raje Scindia and senior Maharashtra leader Vinod Tawde retain their positions as General Secretaries, the editorial added.

The inclusion of Bharati Pawar from Maharashtra comes as a surprise to state party ranks, it said.

Meanwhile, Tariq Mansoor stands as the sole Muslim face accommodated in the new National Executive, added the editorial. ​

Dismissing the reshuffle as an “arrangement of convenience”, the Uddhav Thackeray-led Shiv Sena remarked that while formal organisational titles have been distributed, the primary levers controlling the BJP’s electoral apparatus remain strictly centralised.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

Metro to reach Vasai-Virar, Pune Ring Road East extension to relieve city traffic congestion: Maha CM

Published

on

Mumbai, Aug 18: In a major push to boost transportation across the Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR) and ease severe traffic congestion in Pune, the Cabinet Committee on Infrastructure, chaired by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, on Tuesday approved two major infrastructure projects: Metro Line 13 (Mira Bhayander to Vasai‑Virar) and the eastern extension of the Pune Ring Road (Sortapwadi to Varve‑Shivare).

Passing through Thane and Palghar districts, Metro Line 13 (Mira Bhayander to Vasai‑Virar) will be executed by the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) at an estimated total cost of Rs 17,724.99 crore. The line is 25.03 km long, comprising 21.78 km of elevated tracks and 3.25 km of underground tracks. Out of 16 proposed stations, 13 will be elevated and three underground.

The project includes a 4.92 km integrated double‑decker structure over Vasai Creek connecting Panju Island, featuring a six‑lane (3+3) road alongside the metro line. A metro depot is proposed at Chikhal Dongri. The line will connect key areas including Mira Road, Vasai, Nalasopara, Naigaon, and Virar.

The metro line will seamlessly integrate with the Naigaon, Nalasopara, and Virar suburban railway stations, while offering an interchange with Metro Line 9 at Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Stadium. Feeder bus services are planned at all stations. The project requires 24.84 hectares of land acquisition and is scheduled for completion within five years from approval.

CM Fadnavis instructed officials to complete land acquisition and access road construction within the next six months. Daily ridership on Metro Line 13 is projected to reach approximately 4.49 lakh passengers by 2031.

The project is expected to cut travel time by 50 pc compared to road transport, reduce private vehicle usage and highway congestion, lower carbon emissions, and strengthen connectivity between industrial, logistics, and suburban centres.

Further, to mitigate traffic congestion in Pune, the government granted administrative approval for the revised cost proposal of Rs 10,502.36 crore for the eastern extension of the Pune Ring Road. The Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC) will implement the project.

A 31.805 km access‑controlled expressway will stretch from Sortapwadi (Valti) on the Pune‑Solapur Road to Varve Budruk (Shivare) on the Pune‑Satara Road. The project aims to divert interstate and intrastate transit traffic away from Pune city limits to ease urban bottlenecks.

Once integrated, the entire 168.981 km Ring Road network will form a continuous access‑controlled bypass. Land acquisition is 80 pc complete, with project completion targeted for June 2029. The expressway will feature six lanes (three on each side) with a design speed limit of 120 km/h.

Key structural features include one interchange, three major bridges, five minor bridges, 18 elevated structures or flyovers, and four tunnels, along with roadside afforestation and landscaping at interchanges, said the government release.

Continue Reading

Trending