Crime
Hijab row leads to confrontation between two K’taka colleges

The controversy over wearing a hijab resurfaced in Karnataka’s Dakshina Kannada district of Mangaluru on Friday.
This time two groups of students from P. Dayananda Pai and the P. Satish Pai Government First Grade college in Mangaluru confronted each other over the hijab issue.
However, the police restored normalcy in the college campus.
The principals of the colleges have allowed the students to wear a cloth around their head and appear for exams in the college. The students have been told not to use pins over the cloth which resembles a hijab.
The girl students, who appeared for the exams with a piece of cloth around their head, were met with protests by a few students who asked the former to leave the examination hall.
This led to an argument between the two groups of students leading to a confrontation.
Later, the students started quarrelling at the entrance of the college. However, the police rushed to the spot and took control of the situation.
The principals of the colleges also held a peace meeting and the situation is under control now, according to the police.
The students have expressed their anger over the incident as the college was not affected with the hijab row until now, though it surfaced in other colleges.
Hiba Sheik, a student, said the issue has been festering since the last month and why is the government interfering in the matter.
“We (Muslim girl students) were allowed permission inside the college premises and have been told that we can also sit in the library and study. The principal has also assured of organising online classes for us,” she added.
The principal has asked the girls to wear shawls around their heads, letters have been sent it and the latter had taken permission before going to the examination hall.
The hijab row began in Udupi Government Girls’ pre-university college in December which turned into a major crisis in the state.
The High Court has constituted a special bench to look into the issue and the matter has been reserved for a final judgment. The Karnataka BJP government has claimed that it is the handiwork of a few organisations to disturb peace in the state.
However, the students who started the pro-hijab protest, pressing for their right to wear the hijab during classes, have maintained that they are protesting without help from any organisation.
Crime
Virar Building Collapse: 5 People Arrested In Connection With Case; Probe Handed Over To Crime Branch

Palghar: The investigation into the collapse of the Ramabai building in Virar, which claimed 17 lives earlier this week, has been handed over to the Crime Branch Unit 3.
Initially, builder Nittal Gopinath Sane (48) was arrested in connection with the case. Following further inquiry, police have also taken into custody Shubhangi Bhoir (38), Sandhya Patil (35), Surendra Bhoir (46), and Mangesh Patil (35) — the daughters and son-in-law of the late landowner Parshuram Dalvi. All five accused are scheduled to be produced before the Vasai Sessions Court on Saturday.
According to investigators, Dalvi had entered into an agreement with developer Sane for the construction of the building between 2008 and 2011. In 2020, the municipal corporation had issued a notice citing the need for repairs. Officials have confirmed that the structure was illegal.
On Tuesday, tragedy struck when the building collapsed, killing 17 residents and leaving several others injured. The probe is focusing on negligence, accountability of the landowners, and the role of the developer in the unauthorized construction.
Crime
Uttar Pradesh Cyber Fraud: 100-Year-Old Ex-Merchant Navy Officer Duped Of ₹1.29 Crore In ‘Digital Arrest’ Scam; Case Registered

Lucknow: At 100 years of age, Hardev Singh had lived through wars, seen India’s independence, and spent a long career in the Merchant Navy. But nothing prepared him for the ordeal he faced last week in his own home in Lucknow, when a group of cyberfraudsters held him under what police describe as “digital arrest” for six straight days.
The nightmare began when Singh picked up a call from an unfamiliar number. On the other end were men posing as officers of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). They accused him of being linked to a money laundering case and warned of dire consequences if he did not cooperate.
What followed was psychological captivity. Singh was ordered to stay on the call constantly, cut off from the outside world, unable to tell anyone what was happening. The callers directed him to remain isolated while they demanded details about his finances.
The deception deepened when Singh’s son returned home and learned of the situation. Hoping to shield his father from further harassment, he took over the call. But the fraudsters threatened him too, insisting that money must be transferred to several bank accounts for “verification.” They promised that every rupee would be returned once checks were complete.
Fearful and under pressure, Singh’s son complied, transferring ₹1.29 crore in multiple installments. The promised refunds never came. It was only then that the family realized they had been the victims of a sophisticated cybercrime operation.
The ordeal ended with a complaint to the national cybercrime helpline (1930), after which a case was registered at Sarojini Nagar police station. Investigators are now tracking the fraudsters using the mobile numbers and bank details shared by the family.
Police officials say cases of “digital arrest” are on the rise, with scammers using fake identities of enforcement agencies to intimidate victims. Elderly people, often more trusting of authority, are particularly vulnerable.
For Singh, the experience has left scars beyond the massive financial loss. “They stole our peace of mind more than the money,” a family member said. “My father spent a century building a life, only to be tricked in his twilight years.”
Crime
Mumbai Police Nab 30-Year-Old With Illegal Firearm In Vikhroli

Mumbai: The Mumbai Police Crime units 7 has registered a case under the Arms Act after apprehending a 30-year-old man in possession of an illegal firearm near Tagore Nagar, Vikhroli West.
According to officials, on August 28 around 10:30 am, acting on confidential information, a police team intercepted a suspect near the Vikhroli Station bus stop on the highway.
The accused, identified as Irfan Mustafa Ansari (30), a garment trader and resident of Turbhe Naka, Navi Mumbai, was found carrying a country-made iron pistol valued at ₹50,000 along with two live cartridges worth ₹500, without any legal license.
Police said Ansari was in violation of the prohibitory orders issued by the Mumbai Police Commissioner regarding possession of arms. He was immediately taken into custody. A case has been registered at Vikhroli Police Station under Sections 3 and 25 of the Indian Arms Act. The seized property, totaling ₹50,500, has been taken into evidence. The case is currently being investigated further by Crime Branch, Unit-
-
Crime3 years ago
Class 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra11 months ago
Mumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra11 months ago
Mumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra11 months ago
False photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News11 months ago
Ministry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Crime11 months ago
Baba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
-
Maharashtra10 months ago
Maharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News11 months ago
J&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface