Connect with us
Wednesday,20-May-2026
Breaking News

Crime

Mumbai Police Arrest Navi Mumbai-Based Bar Owner In ATC Personnel Theft–Extortion Case

Published

on

Mumbai: In a significant development in the alleged theft and extortion case involving RCF police Anti-Terrorism Cell (ATC) personnel, the Mumbai police have arrested Navi Mumbai-based bar owner Ramesh Shetty alias Ramesh Anna for his alleged role in the offence. His arrest follows the earlier arrest and suspension of four ATC personnel attached to the RCF police station.

Previously, API Vijay Sutar, head constable Yogesh Khandge, and police constables Nemade and More were arrested on allegations that they stole cash and gold ornaments during raids conducted to identify Bangladeshi nationals allegedly residing illegally in Navi Mumbai. The Chembur police are conducting further investigation in the case.

The case came to light after a social activist lodged a complaint, prompting an internal inquiry into the conduct of the police personnel during official raids. Investigators found that valuables allegedly seized during the raids were not recorded through any panchnama or official documentation.

 Several items were later reported missing, following which an FIR was registered under relevant sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) Act. The accused police personnel were subsequently arrested and placed under suspension, a senior police officer said.

According to the police sources, the complainant, Asma Poly, a suspected Bangladeshi national, has been residing in Kopri village, Sector 26, Koparkhairane, Navi Mumbai, for the past 12 years and works at a bar in Turbhe. 

In her complaint, Asma stated that on January 2, 2026, at around 8.30 am, a woman in plain clothes along with three to four men visited her residence and demanded her identity proof. When she opened the door, the group entered her house. An agent who allegedly assists police in identifying Bangladeshi nationals was also present.

Based on their questioning, Asma said she realised they were police officials, who later disclosed their identities. She was allegedly asked to sit inside a police vehicle and was taken to the RCF police station. Asma claimed she was unaware that her house was being searched during this period.

Later, API Sutar allegedly asked her to contact her sister, Rebecca, in Bangladesh and seek her birth certificate. During a phone conversation, Rebecca allegedly informed Asma that police personnel had searched her house and that several items were missing. Asma has claimed in her police complaint that approximately 15 tolas of gold and cash amounting to Rs20–25 lakh were kept in the house and were missing after the raid.

Asma alleged that when she questioned the officers about the missing valuables, she received evasive replies. As her suspicions grew, she reportedly raised an alarm at the police station. Police sources said that fearing the matter could escalate, the accused officers allegedly called the bar owner Ramesh Anna, where Asma worked to the police station.

According to the complaint, between January 5 and 6, head constable Khandge allegedly facilitated phone conversations between Asma and bar owner Ramesh Anna, during which it was conveyed that Rs6 lakh in cash and a gold necklace had been handed over. When Asma enquired about the remaining money and gold, she was allegedly given evasive responses.

The complaint further states that on January 23, API Sutar again called Asma to the police station and told her that her remaining valuables would be returned through the bar owner. On January 24, Asma was allegedly informed that another Rs5 lakh in cash along with the remaining gold ornaments had been handed over to Ramesh Anna. She has also alleged that head constable Khandge threatened her not to disclose the incident to anyone.

Police are also examining a separate allegation involving the same police personnel in Kalyan. In that case, a woman identified as Sharmeen Khatoon Attar has alleged that on December 25, the accused officers visited her residence and allegedly extorted Rs5 lakh by threatening her with police action. Officials said this allegation is under verification and no conclusion has yet been drawn.

Based on Asma’s complaint, Mumbai police have registered a case against four police personnel and one unidentified person under relevant sections of the BNS Act. Police officials said further investigation is underway to establish the exact role of each accused, recover the missing cash and jewellery, and ascertain whether more individuals were similarly targeted during such raids.

Crime

Mumbai Shocker! 40-Year-Old Man Allegedly Molests Minor Boy In Agripada; Hunt On For Absconding Accused

Published

on

Mumbai: A case under POSCO has been registered against a 40-year-old man who has been allegedly accused of showing pornographic films and molesting a 13-year-old boy in Mumbai’s Agripada area.

the shocking incident took place at the Classic Tower residential society located in the Agripada locality. The matter came to light after the traumatised minor confided in his family members about the ordeal.

Acting on it, his family immediately approached the Agripada Police, and a case under the POCSO Act and Section 351(2) BNS has been registered at Agripada Police Station.

The accused, identified as Adil Ishaq Latif, is currently absconding. A team of police have been formed and launched a manhunt to track his whereabouts.

Continue Reading

Crime

Delhi HC sentences YouTuber to six months jail for criminal contempt

Published

on

New Delhi, May 19: The Delhi High Court has sentenced YouTuber Gulshan Pahuja, who runs the channel “Fight 4 Judicial Reforms”, to six months’ simple imprisonment in two criminal contempt cases for making derogatory and scandalous remarks against the judiciary and judicial officers.

A division bench of Justices Navin Chawla and Ravinder Dudeja also imposed a fine of Rs 2,000 in each matter while observing that the contemnor had shown no remorse and had, in fact, compounded the contempt through further scandalous submissions made during the hearing.

However, the Delhi High Court suspended the sentence for 60 days to enable Pahuja to challenge its judgment holding him guilty of criminal contempt before the Supreme Court.

The Justice Chawla-led Bench said that despite being given an opportunity to make submissions on punishment, the contemnor questioned the conviction itself and, during oral arguments, made further scandalous remarks against the judicial system.

“He, in fact, compounds his contempt by making further scandalous submissions before this Court and thus, evidently, he is neither repentant nor deserves any mercy,” the order said.

Rejecting his plea to recall the conviction judgment, the Delhi High Court said it could not sit in review of its earlier order and that the contemnor was free to challenge the same in accordance with law.

“As far as his submissions on our judgment dated 21.04.2026 are concerned, we cannot sit in review of the said judgment and the contemnor has full right and had an opportunity to challenge the same in accordance with law,” the bench said.

It further recorded that during oral arguments, Pahuja made remarks such as “adaalaton ki manmarzi badhti jaa rahi hai aur main koi nyay ki umeed nahi kar raha (the wilfulness of the courts is constantly increasing and I am not hopeful of any justice)” and described the functioning of courts as “taanashahi (dictatorship)”.

Advocate Harsh Prabhaka, amicus curiae appointed in the matter, submitted that Pahuja had shown “no course correction or remorse” and continued uploading videos targeting judicial officers despite earlier directions restraining him from doing so.

Considering the nature of the conduct, the Delhi High Court observed that leniency in such circumstances could embolden similar conduct in the future and that the case warranted maximum punishment.

“We also find that by not imposing adequate punishment on him, we may encourage him to repeat these acts in future and to embolden him in doing the same. [W]e are of the opinion that these cases call for the imposition of the maximum punishment,” the bench observed.

Accordingly, the Delhi High Court sentenced Pahuja to six months’ simple imprisonment along with a fine of Rs 2,000 in each case, directing that the sentences would run concurrently.

It further ordered that in case of default in payment of the fine, he would undergo an additional one month’s simple imprisonment.

However, taking note of the contemnor’s submission that he intends to challenge the judgment before the Supreme Court, the bench suspended the sentence for a period of 60 days.

“In case an order suspending the sentence… is not passed by the Supreme Court, the contemnor shall on his own surrender before the Registrar General of this Court forthwith on expiry of the above-mentioned period,” the order said.

The contempt proceedings arose from videos and online content uploaded by Pahuja on his YouTube channel, in which he made sweeping and unverified allegations against judicial officers and the judiciary. In its earlier judgment, the Delhi High Court had held that such remarks were intended to scandalise the institution and lower public confidence in the justice system, and were not protected under the right to free speech.

Continue Reading

Crime

Delhi Police bust gambling racket in Dwarka, 14 arrested

Published

on

New Delhi, May 19: Continuing its crackdown on illegal activities, the Dwarka District Police on Tuesday busted a gambling racket operating in JJ Colony in Sector-3, Bindapur, and arrested 14 persons allegedly involved in the operation, officials said.

Police recovered stake money amounting to Rs 6,810 along with gambling-related material, including writing pads, charts, satta slips, carbon papers, pens, mobile phones, and electronic devices used for maintaining gambling transaction records.

According to police officials, the operation was carried out as part of the district police’s ongoing campaign to curb organised crimes such as gambling and bootlegging and to maintain a safe and crime-free environment for residents.

To strengthen action against illegal activities, the Special Staff of Dwarka District had intensified intelligence gathering, activated local informers, and increased surveillance in vulnerable areas. A dedicated team was constituted under the leadership of Inspector Kamlesh Kumar, in charge of Special Staff, Dwarka District, under the close supervision of ACP Operations Subhash Malik.

The team comprised SI Dinesh Kumar, SI Topesh, ASI Vijay Singh, HC Jagat Singh, HC Jairam, HC Naresh, HC Rajesh, and Constable Manjeet, who were tasked with collecting intelligence and identifying hotspots where illegal activities were taking place.

On May 7, at around 10 p.m., the team received specific information regarding a gambling racket operating in the Sector-3 JJ Colony area of Bindapur. Acting swiftly on the information, the police team laid a strategic trap near the identified location.

At around 10:30 p.m., the police spotted several individuals gathered in a narrow lane and allegedly engaged in gambling activities. The team immediately conducted a raid and apprehended 14 persons at the spot.

During the search operation, police recovered stake money worth Rs 6,810, along with charts, satta slips, writing pads, carbon papers, pens, and registers allegedly used for maintaining gambling records and transactions. The local beat staff also reached the spot during the operation.

Following the recovery, a case vide FIR No. 255/2026 under Sections 12/09/55 of the Gambling Act was registered at Police Station Bindapur. All the accused were arrested after sustained interrogation.

The arrested accused have been identified as Sandeep (26), Ajay (25), Sartaj (42), Bappi Haldhar (60), Suresh (36), Neeraj Kumar (44), Abul Hasan (40), Chandan Sahni (35), Sudama (27), Maniyappan (42), Ashok (46), Diwari Sahni (37), Mathwef (41), and Jony (35), all residents of different areas of Dwarka, Uttam Nagar, Matiala, and nearby localities in Delhi.

Police said the recovery made during the raid included cash worth Rs 6,810, two charts, eight pads, five carbon papers, three pens, and around 350 satta slips allegedly used in gambling activities.

Officials stated that further investigation is underway to ascertain whether the accused were linked to a larger gambling network operating in the area.

The operation highlights the proactive policing efforts of Dwarka District Police in cracking down on unlawful activities and maintaining law and order in the national capital.

Continue Reading

Trending