Connect with us
Wednesday,26-January-2022

Maharashtra

BJP claims Fadnavis’ statement misconstrued

Published

on

A day after Maharashtra Leader of Opposition Devendra Fadnavis said he still feels he’s the Chief Minister, the Bharatiya Janata Party claimed that his remarks were ‘misinterpreted’, here on Wednesday.

Talking to media-persons, BJP State President Chandrakant Patil attempted to straighten the record by claiming that “as usual, Fadnavis’ statement was misconstrued”.

“What Fadnavis actually meant was that wherever he goes as the Leader of Opposition, the people have the same expectations from him as when he was the CM,” Patil said.

He said that Fadnavis is constantly on the move, visiting people in flood hit areas, or rain-ravaged districts, the farmers and others who crowd around him and seek his help.

To a pointed query whether it was possible that Fadnavis could return as the CM, Patil shot back: “How can I say, I am not an astrologer!”

Reminiscent of his 2019 pre-polls proclamation of ‘Mee Punha Yaeen’ (I will return) Fadnavis stated at an open function in Navi Mumbai that he still feels he’s the state CM owing to the immense love and affection showered by the people of the state.

“The people of the state have never made me feel that I am not the CM. I still feel that I am the CM. I have not been sitting at home. I have been working very hard and touring all over the state for the past two years. But the people’s love and respect has not waned,” Fadnavis asserted.

Going into splits, the ruling Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) leaders slammed him for continuing to ‘day-dream’ and not willing to accept the stark reality that the BJP was voted out of office two years ago; and Fadnavis’ claims even attracted sly sniggers from sections of his own party.

The Shiv Sena-Nationalist Congress Party-Congress leaders even advised the BJP to ensure prompt medical attention and get Fadnavis treated for shock, hallucinations, trauma and mental problems before its too late.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

Can reduce Juhi Chawla’s 5G suit fine, but on one condition: Delhi HC

Published

on

By

The Delhi High Court on Tuesday said it will consider reducing actress-environmentalist Juhi Chawla’s fine – slapped for abuse of the process of law in relation to a lawsuit challenging 5G wireless network technology – from Rs 20 lakh to Rs 2 lakh on the condition she does some service for the public.

A division bench of Justice Vipin Sanghi and Justice Jasmeet Singh said: “We will make it Rs 2 lakh but that comes with another condition. Considering that your client is a celebrity, she should do some public work. Her status should be implied for some good of society. She could do a programme for the Delhi Legal Services Authority (DLSA).”

Representing Chawla, senior advocate Salman Khurshid, argued that the petitioner had raised a genuine concern on the impact of 5G technology on the human body. If the cost amount could be waived, his client could go back to pursue the cause, he said.

Later, he said he would seek her instructions on the suggestion made by the court.

Further, issuing notice to the DLSA Secretary, the court listed the case for further hearing on January 27.

On January 21, the DSLSA approached the court seeking the execution of the order, in which Chawla and two others were directed to deposit Rs 20 lakh fine imposed in relation to a lawsuit challenging 5G wireless network technology.

On June 4 last year, Justice J.R. Midha had dismissed her lawsuit against the setting up of 5G wireless networks in the country. Her plea stated the levels of RF radiation are 10 to 100 times greater than the existing levels. It also claimed that the 5G wireless technology can be a potential threat to provoke irreversible and serious effects on humans and it could also permanently damage the earth’s ecosystems.

The court had held that the suit filed by Chawla and two others were defective, non-maintainable, and also contained unverified and vexatious assertions and also imposed the fine.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

Maha BJP MLA Nitesh Rane moves SC for anticipatory bail

Published

on

By

BJP’s Maharashta MLA Nitesh Rane, the son of Union Minister Narayan Rane, has moved the Supreme Court, seeking anticipatory bail in an attempt to murder lodged against him in Sindhudurg district last month.

Senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi, representing Rane, mentioned the matter for urgent hearing before a bench headed by Chief Justice N.V. Ramana, submitting that the matter is a result of political rivalry. After hearing brief submissions, the bench agreed to consider the request to list the matter urgently.

Rane has challenged the January 17 order of the Bombay High Court, declining to entertain his plea seeking anticipatory bail, before the top court. The matter is connected with a road rage incident, which occurred in December last year. The complainant alleged that his motorcycle was hit by a car without a number plate and claimed he heard one of the occupants say “should inform Gotya Sawant and Nitesh Rane”.

The Maharashtra Police had given an oral assurance before the high court that Rane would not be arrested till Monday. However, Nitish claimed the case was registered to stop him from participating in the Sindhudurg District Co-operative Bank elections.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

PM condoles loss of lives in Maha accident

Published

on

By

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday expressed deep grief over the loss of lives due to an accident near Selsura in Maharashtra. The Prime Minister has also announced an ex-gratia from the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund (PMNRF) for the victims.

In a series of tweets, the Prime Minister’s Office tweeted, “Pained by the loss of lives due to an accident near Selsura in Maharashtra. In this hour of sadness, my thoughts are with those who have lost their loved ones. I pray that those injured are able to recover soon: PM.”

In another tweet, the PMO said, “PM @narendramodi announced that Rs. 2 lakh each from PMNRF would be given to the next of kin of those who have lost their lives in the accident near Selsura. Those who are injured would be given Rs. 50,000.”

At least seven medical students, including the son of a BJP legislator, were killed in a major road accident on the highway in Wardha district of Maharashtra early on Tuesday.

According to a police official, the accident took place when they were travelling in an SUV from Yavatmal to Wardha. At one stretch as the SUV sped on a bridge near Selsura, the driver lost control over the vehicle and it plunged into the river below. All the victims were students of the Sangavi Medical College.

Continue Reading

Trending