National
IND vs SL: Perseverance pays off for Shivam Mavi as pacer shines on his T20I debut with 4-22

As his team-mates from the 2018 U-19 World Cup-winning team — Prithvi Shaw, Shubman Gill and Arshdeep Singh — made it to the Indian team in various formats, medium pacer Shivam Mavi was still waiting for an opportunity, knocking on the door with good performances in domestic cricket and the Indian Premier League (IPL).
On Tuesday, the 24-year-old pacer from Uttar Pradesh got his opportunity when Arshdeep was unavailable for selection for the first T20I against Sri Lanka at the Wankhede Stadium and made a grand entry into international T20 cricket.
Mavi made full use of his debut by claiming 4-22 in his four-over spell, helping India to a narrow two-run victory. Harshal Patel 2-41 and Umran Malik 2-27 were the other successful bowlers but Mavi caught the eye as India bowled out Sri Lanka for 160 in 20 overs after Deepak Hooda (41 not out) and Axar Patel (31 not out) helped the hosts recover from a precarious 94/5 to a modest 162/5 in 20 overs.
Defending the small modest total, short by at least 12-15 runs as Hooda accepted after the match, was a tall task but the Indians executed their plans superbly but were lucky to win the match off the final ball of the match.
Mavi played a crucial role in the victory, opening the bowling with skipper Hardik Pandya and eventually became the third Indian bowler to take a four-fer on debut. He sent back Pathum Nissanka and Dhananjaya de Silva in the power-play.
The pacer came back to provide India a vital breakthrough by dismissing Wanindu Hasaranga, who had shared a 40-run partnership with skipper Dasun Shanaka, and was looking like propelling Sri Lanka towards victory.
“I was waiting for this moment for the last six years. Had injuries in between and it felt my dream will never come true. Nerves were 3-4 on a scale of ten because you know what to expect when you have played the IPL,” Mavi said after the match.
Mavi’s nerves of steel, ability to control line and length and execute the plans caught the eye as he made a dream debut on Tuesday. The right-handed medium pacer said he likes to bowl during power-play as it gives him a chance to attack.
“My idea in the powerplay is to attack and get them out. My favourite dismissal was the first one, getting him (Nissanka) bowled,” said the U-19 World Cup winner.
Born on November 28, 1998 in Meerut in a middle-class family, Shivam’s upbringing was in Noida in Uttar Pradesh where his businessman father Pankaj Mavi had shifted to when he was very young.
Coming from a Gujarati family settled in Uttar Pradesh, Mavi took up cricket when he was 11. His initial training was under local coach Phoolchand, who taught him the nuances of the game and identified his talent for medium pace bowling.
The right-hander made his mark in the age-group events representing U.P before being picked in the India team for the 2018 ICC U-19 World Cup in New Zealand. That team went on to win the title and Mavi was a key player in the campaign, claiming 14 wickets in all at an average of 15.21.
He made first-class debut in the 2018 Ranji Trophy and incidentally�claimed a four-wicket haul on debut against Goa. He claimed his first five-fer in his second Ranji match against Odisha. Mavi has come up the rankings, having played for India U-19, India Emerging Players, Vijay Hazare Trophy and Ranji Trophy, IPL.
In the 2018 auction, he was picked by Kolkata Knight Riders and was with them till 2022 when he moved to Gujarat Titans. The defending champions Titans picked Mavi for Rs 6.00 Cr during IPL mini-auction, last month.
It was with the Titans that Hardik Pandya got to know Mavi and gained confidence in his abilities. Pandya had decided to back the young players in his squad in the three-match series against Sri Lanka and he showed faith in youngsters’ abilities at the first opportunity.
“I have seen him (Mavi) bowling well in the IPL and I just told him to simply bowl. I told him, ‘I am backing you. Even if you get hit, it’s fine’,” Pandya said after the match.
Mavi repaid that faith with a superb performance and showed that given the opportunity, he can take over the responsibility on a permanent basis.
Entertainment
Art remains immortal: Assam CM condoles death of legendary actor Manoj Kumar

Guwahati, April 4: Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Friday condoled the death of ace Bollywood actor Manoj Kumar and asserted that art remains immortal.
Taking to X, Sarma mentioned, “Even today, Manoj Kumar ji’s films inspire countrymen and fill them with energy to dream new dreams. Many of my childhood memories are associated with the songs of his films.”
“Whether an artist lives or not, his art remains immortal. Om Shanti,” he further mentioned in the X post.
Veteran actor and film-maker Manoj Kumar breathed his last on Friday at the Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital. He was 87.
Reportedly, the medical reports reveal that Manoj Kumar’s death was caused by cardiogenic shock resulting from an acute myocardial infarction, a severe heart attack.
The reports also indicated that he had been struggling with decompensated liver cirrhosis in recent months, which had worsened his health.
The legendary actor was admitted to the hospital on February 21 when his health deteriorated.
Dr Santosh Shetty, CEO and Executive Director at Kokilaben Ambani Hospital, said in an official statement, “Veteran actor Shri Manoj Kumar ji passed away peacefully at the Kokilaben Ambani Hospital early this morning at around 3:30 am, due to age-related health issues. He had been hospitalised for the past few weeks.”
Following the news of his passing, tributes quickly flooded in from celebrities, politicians, and fans alike.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi also expressed his sorrow, mourning the loss of the legendary actor-director.
Taking to his X handle, he tweeted, “Deeply saddened by the passing of legendary actor and film-maker Manoj Kumar ji. He was an icon of Indian cinema, who was particularly remembered for his patriotic zeal, which was also reflected in his films. Manoj ji’s works ignited a spirit of national pride and will continue to inspire generations. My thoughts are with his family and admirers in this hour of grief. Om Shanti.”
health
Health Ministry asks IPL to ban direct and indirect ads promoting alcohol, tobacco

New Delhi, March 10: The Ministry of Health & Family Welfare (MoHFW) has asked officials at the Indian Premier League to ban all forms of tobacco and alcohol advertisements from upcoming sports events.
Notably, the letter by Prof. (Dr.) Atul Goel, Director General of Health Services urges Arun Singh Dhumal, Chairperson, IPL, to regulate tobacco and alcohol advertisements including surrogate advertisements and sales during the upcoming cricket season, slated to begin on March 22.
The ban extends both to stadium premises as well as a live telecast on television.
“The IPL being India’s most viewed sports event, direct or indirect promotion of tobacco/alcohol on any platform linked to sports sends a contradictory message to the public about health and fitness,” said Goel, in the letter, dated March 5.
He cited that tobacco and alcohol are significantly responsible for the rising burden of non-communicable diseases in the country. “Cardiovascular diseases, cancer, chronic lung disease, diabetes, hypertension, etc. account for more than 70 per cent of deaths annually.
Tobacco and alcohol use are key risk factors for NCDs. “India ranks second in tobacco-related deaths worldwide; with nearly 14 lakh annual deaths while alcohol is the most common psychoactive substance used by Indians,” the health ministry official said.
The letter, also marked to the Board of Control for Cricket in India, asked IPL officials to “strictly implement” the regulations to ban all forms of tobacco/alcohol advertising, including surrogate advertisements, “within the stadium premises where the games and related IPL games/events are held as well as during telecast sessions on national television”.
The sale of tobacco or alcohol products must also be regulated “in all affiliated events and sports facilities”.
The letter also sought to “discourage the promotion of sportspersons (including commentators) who directly or indirectly endorse products directly or indirectly linked to alcohol or tobacco”.
The letter stated that “cricket players are role models for the youngsters” and that promoting tobacco or alcohol products by them can have a poor impact on youngsters’ minds.
Instead, they should promote “a healthy, active lifestyle”. Goel asked IPL to share a “social and moral obligation to promote public health and support health initiatives of the government”.
National
Ex-Mumbai captain Milind Rege passes away; players wear black armbands in Ranji Trophy match

New Delhi, Feb 19: Former Mumbai captain Milind Rege passed away on Wednesday in Mumbai due to cardiac arrest. He was 76. He is survived by his wife Raj and two sons.
The Mumbai Cricket Association took to X to share the condolence message: “Deeply saddened by the passing of Mr. Milind Rege. A stalwart of Mumbai cricket, he served with dedication as Captain, Chairman of the Senior Selection Committee, Managing Committee Member, and Advisor. His legacy will forever be remembered. Heartfelt condolences to his family and loved ones.”
The stalwart of Mumbai cricket, Rege was part of five consecutive Ranji Trophy title-winning seasons. An off-spinning all-rounder claimed 126 wickets in 52 first-class matches between 1966-67 and 1977-78. He also amassed 1532 runs, averaging 23.56 in those games.
Following his playing career, Rege remained closely involved with the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA), holding various roles including selector and chief selector at different times. In 2020, he was appointed as an advisor to the MCA.
“Deeply saddened by the passing of Milind Rege Sir. A true stalwart of Mumbai cricket, his invaluable contributions as a player, selector, and mentor shaped generations of cricketers. His unwavering support and guidance will always be remembered, and his legacy will continue to inspire. He always stood by me, and I will forever be grateful. Heartfelt condolences to his family and loved ones. May his soul rest in peace,” said MCA chief Ajinkya Naik.
Both the Mumbai and Vidarbha teams in the ongoing Ranji Trophy semi-final in Nagpur observed a minute’s silence before the start of the third day’s play in Rege’s memory. The Mumbai players also wore black arm bands.
Former India cricketer and head coach Ravi Shastri also condoled the demise of his friend. “Really sad to hear about the demise of a dear friend Milind Rege. A true champion in his contribution to Mumbai and Tata’s cricket all-round. A Mentor Par Excellence. Heartfelt condolences to Raj and family. God bless his soul,” he shared on X.
-
Crime3 years ago
Class 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra6 months ago
Mumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra6 months ago
Mumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra6 months ago
False photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News6 months ago
Ministry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Crime6 months ago
Baba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
-
Maharashtra5 months ago
Maharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News7 months ago
J&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface