Business
Adani signs world’s largest Green PPA with SECI

Adani Green Energy Ltd (AGEL), the worlds largest solar power developer and the renewable energy arm of the diversified Adani Group, has signed an agreement with the Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) to supply 4,667 MW of green power. This is the worlds largest ever green power purchase agreement.
“We are pleased to have signed the world’s largest PPA with SECI,” said Gautam Adani, Chairman of the Adani Group.
“This is yet another step in our journey to enable India’s dual objective to accelerate India’s renewable energy footprint as well as promote domestic manufacturing under the Atmanirbhar Bharat programme. Following the proceedings at COP26, it is increasingly evident that the world has to equitably transition to a low carbon economy faster than previously anticipated. This is why the Adani Group has committed $50-$70 billion of investment in the renewables space. This agreement keeps us well on track to our commitment to become the world’s largest renewables player by 2030,” he added.
The AGEL-SECI agreement to supply 4,667 MW is part of a manufacturing-linked solar tender of 8,000 MW awarded to AGEL by SECI in June 2020, which set a record for being the world’s largest solar development tender ever awarded.
So far, AGEL has signed PPAs with SECI for a total generation capacity of close to 6000 MW of the 8,000 MW awarded in 2020.
AGEL expects to close the balance 2000 MW PPA in the next two to three months.
National
Maha govt, Raj Thackeray on same page for respect of Marathi language: Minister Uday Samant

Mumbai, April 5: Minister of Marathi Language Uday Samant on Saturday said the Maharashtra government and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray share the same view that everyone living in the state should be able to speak Marathi, while also respecting all other languages.
“Respect for Marathi should be maintained, just as we respect other languages,” Samant said after meeting Raj Thackeray in Mumbai here on Saturday.
The meeting comes amid MNS’s renewed push to assert Marathi identity ahead of civic polls across major cities, including Mumbai, Thane, Pune, Nashik, and Nagpur.
Speaking to reporters after the meeting, Samant said, “Raj Thackeray had invited me, as the Minister for Marathi Language, to discuss ongoing developments regarding the use of Marathi in the state. Before coming, I informed the Shiv Sena chief and Deputy CM Eknath Shinde and took his permission.”
Samant said Raj Thackeray had shared suggestions on how to ensure institutions, particularly banks, implement the use of Marathi in day-to-day business.
“I will personally speak to Deputy CM Eknath Shinde and CM Devendra Fadnavis. We will work towards improvements,” he said.
“Raj Thackeray and the state government have a common stand — Marathi must be respected, and all residents of Maharashtra should learn the language. I will call a meeting of all committees in the state to ensure that institutions dealing with the public, like banks, conduct their business in Marathi. We will then decide what action needs to be taken,” Samant added.
The meeting took place a day after CM Fadnavis warned that while insisting on the use of Marathi is not wrong, taking the law into one’s hands in the process would not be tolerated. “Those who do so will be dealt with appropriately,” he said, responding to incidents of aggressive promotion of Marathi by MNS cadres.
Samant acknowledged that many languages are spoken in Maharashtra and the state has welcomed people from different backgrounds. “We respect them, and MNS does too. But bullying and injustice toward Marathi speakers must stop. Raj Thackeray suggested that Marathi should be given legal protection,” he said.
He also reiterated that banks and institutions that engage daily with Marathi-speaking citizens must use the language in their services. “A meeting of the police department and district collectors will be held in the next eight to ten days. A committee has already been formed to promote the Marathi language, headed by the respective district collectors. These committees will decide on the necessary action against institutions that neglect Marathi.”
Meanwhile, MNS spokesperson Sandip Deshpande took a sharper tone, saying on X, “Those who do not want to speak Marathi can leave Maharashtra. Those who refuse to speak Marathi while living in the state are traitors.”
He added that MNS’ stance — that Marathi must be respected in Maharashtra just like local languages are in other states — has found support among linguistic identity organizations in other regions.
“Karnataka Rakshana Vedike, for instance, has extended full support to Raj Thackeray’s stand,” Deshpande said.
National
Uddhav Thackeray has betrayed Balasaheb’s ideals, says Bawankule on Waqf Bill

Pune, April 5: Maharashtra BJP president and Revenue Minister Chandrashekhar Bawankule here on Saturday launched a sharp attack on Shiv Sena (UBT) chief Uddhav Thackeray, accusing him of betraying the ideals and vision of his father, Balasaheb Thackeray, by opposing the Waqf Amendment Bill.
Bawankule claimed that Thackeray’s stance was driven by vote-bank politics ahead of the upcoming Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) elections.
“Uddhav Thackeray’s position on the Waqf Amendment Bill is not even acceptable to his own workers. I’ve received messages from across the state suggesting that many Shiv Sainiks are disillusioned and considering quitting the party. His Shiv Sena won’t survive another year,” Bawankule asserted.
He further alleged, “By opposing the Waqf Amendment Bill, Uddhav Thackeray has committed a serious offence.”
On Friday, Deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis defended the Bill, stating that it reflects the secular and democratic spirit enshrined in the Constitution.
“The Waqf Board that existed till now was a product of appeasement politics. It neither benefited the minority community nor contributed to any charitable cause. On the contrary, it was used to forcibly grab land. The biggest Waqf land scam in Maharashtra happened during the Congress regime. We had even initiated an inquiry into it,” Fadnavis said.
He added that the amended law would bring much-needed transparency and ensure that the benefits reach the common Muslim.
“The Bill does not infringe upon any religious beliefs. It merely corrects historical wrongs. It also ensures women’s representation on the Waqf Board and removes the earlier provision that barred judicial scrutiny of its actions,” he said.
Fadnavis also alleged that Waqf lands were often taken over by the Board and later by Congress leaders, adding, “The Bill is aimed at ending this loot. Those who truly follow Balasaheb Thackeray’s ideals should support it.”
Deputy Chief Minister Eknath Shinde, who also heads a faction of the Shiv Sena, accused Thackeray of abandoning Hindutva and compromising Balasaheb’s principles. “His opposition to the Bill exposes his real priorities — power over people’s welfare,” Shinde said.
Crime
Kunal Kamra issued third summons by Mumbai Police, asked to appear for questioning today

Mumbai, April 5: Stand up comedian Kunal Kamra has been issued a third summons by Mumbai’s Khar Police, asking him to appear for questioning on Saturday.
This summons follows two previous attempts by the police to call Kamra in for investigation, but the comedian failed to show up for either of the earlier summons.
Kamra is under investigation for an alleged controversial comment that was understood to be an indirect swipe at Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Eknath Shinde.
The video, which aired following Kamra’s performance at the Habitat Comedy Club in Khar, saw the comedian using a modified version of a popular Bollywood song from ‘Dil To Pagal Hai.’ “Meri nazar se tum dekho toh, gaddar nazar wo aaye. Haaye,” Kunal Kamra said during his show which was understood to be a jibe at Shinde.
The comments, were perceived to be made in the context of the 2022 Maharashtra political crisis, which led to the fall of the Uddhav Thackeray-led government, resulted in multiple FIRs being filed against Kamra.
Following the release of Kamra’s video on March 23, Shiv Sena workers, angered by his remarks, vandalised the Unicontinental Hotel in Khar where Kamra had recorded the video. This incident led to the arrest of 12 Shinde supporters, who were later granted bail.
In response to the summons, Kamra had earlier stated he was unavailable in Mumbai due to prior commitments and offered to appear for questioning on April 2.
However, the police did not accept his request for a delayed appearance.
Kamra’s lawyer, V. Suresh, had expressed concerns about Kamra’s safety, claiming he had received threats from certain Maharashtra Cabinet ministers.
Mumbai’s Khar Police Station is investigating the matter, with two FIRs already filed against Kamra for derogatory remarks. In addition, three more FIRs filed against him in different parts of Maharashtra have been combined into the Mumbai investigation.
The police have confirmed that Kamra is not currently in contact with the Khar police station. Kamra has been granted protection from arrest until April 7 by the Madras High Court, but the latest summons indicate that the investigation is moving forward despite his earlier refusals to comply.
-
Crime3 years ago
Class 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra6 months ago
Mumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra6 months ago
Mumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra6 months ago
False photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News6 months ago
Ministry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Crime6 months ago
Baba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
-
Maharashtra5 months ago
Maharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News7 months ago
J&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface