Crime
Punjab bypoll: Drugs, liquor, freebies valued at Rs 57.47 crore seized
Chandigarh, Nov 4: After the enforcement of the Model Code of Conduct for the by-election to the Tarn Taran Assembly constituency, Punjab Police, following the directions of the Election Commission, has made seizures of drugs, liquor, cash and freebies valued at over Rs 57.47 crore.
According to details, from October 7, the day the Model Code of Conduct came into effect, till November 3, the police in the Tarn Taran constituency seized 51,429.50 litres of liquor valued at Rs 32,89,160, narcotic substances of Rs 56,67,10,500 (21,811.10 grams), cash amounting to Rs 9,73,480, and other items valued at Rs 37,85,700.
Chief Electoral Officer Sibin C said the police have been directed to maintain round-the-clock surveillance through CCTV cameras at all checkpoints in the constituency to curb illegal smuggling activities.
He added that strict action is being ensured against those attempting to influence voters by distributing cash or any other kind of freebies during the elections.
The Chief Electoral Officer said there are a total of 192,838 voters in the constituency, which includes 100,933 men, 91,897 women and eight third-gender voters. There are 1,357 service voters, 1,657 voters aged above 85 years, 306 NRI voters, and 1,488 voters with disabilities. The number of young voters aged between 18 and 19 years stands at 3,333.
He said there are 222 polling stations set up at 114 polling station locations, of which 60 are urban and 162 are rural.
The Tarn Taran bypoll on November 11 was necessitated by the death of AAP MLA Kashmir Singh Sohal, who had won the seat with 52,935 votes, defeating Shiromani Akali Dal’s Harmeet Singh Sandhu.
Fifteen candidates are in the fray. They include Sukhwinder Kaur of the Shiromani Akali Dal, Harjit Singh Sandhu of the BJP, Harmeet Singh Sandhu of the Aam Aadmi Party, and Karanbir Singh of the Congress.
Crime
‘Give her to us’: Adobe techie Vinay Gupta’s mother, sister allege pre-planned murder by in-laws in Delhi

New Delhi, Aug 22: The mother and sister of 31-year-old software engineer Vinay Gupta, who was allegedly beaten to death by his in-laws in outer Delhi Nihal Vihar area, on Saturday alleged that the killing was pre-planned and demanded strict punishment for those responsible.
Speaking to reporters, Gupta’s mother alleged that her daughter-in-law had orchestrated the murder and deliberately called her relatives to their home.
“Give her to us, and we will punish her with our own hands. She orchestrated his murder and left,” she said.
According to her, the incident occurred early in the morning when her daughter-in-law allegedly called her brothers to the house. “We were preparing to serve them water, thinking that relatives had come to visit. But they did not want water. They grabbed him by his hands, choked his throat, jumped on his chest and killed him right before my eyes within five minutes,” she alleged.
She further claimed that when she tried to save her son, she too was assaulted. “When I rushed to save him, they beat me. When his father tried to rescue him, they assaulted him as well. Everything went dark before my eyes. There was no one else in the house. She had the CCTV cameras switched off,” the grieving mother stated.
Calling the incident pre-planned, she said there had been no major dispute before the attack. She claimed that six people were involved, of whom four had reportedly been detained while two are absconding.
Gupta’s sister, who was at her in-laws’ home at the time of the incident, also alleged that the killing had been planned in advance.
“My parents and my brother were alone at home. In the morning, she had an argument over something and stormed out of the house. Within just 10 minutes, she returned with six men from her family. She led them upstairs,” she said.
“My mother was preparing to serve them water, thinking that guests had arrived. But they refused the water, grabbed my brother by his hair, choked his throat and killed him. Before leaving the house, she had intentionally switched off the CCTV cameras,” she alleged.
She questioned how the relatives could have reached the house within 10 minutes when their residence was allegedly around 30 minutes away.
“It was completely pre-planned. Everything was orchestrated in advance,” she said, adding that her elderly parents were unable to save her brother.
The sister also alleged that Gupta’s wife frequently fought over minor issues and threatened the family. “There were six people who killed my brother,” she alleged.
The deceased was a resident of Laxmi Park and worked as a software engineer with Adobe in Noida. He had married his 31-year-old wife, a homemaker, around three-and-a-half years ago. The couple have twin children — a son and a daughter — who are about four-and-a-half months old.
According to the victim’s family, an argument broke out between Gupta and his wife in the morning over a matrimonial issue. Following the dispute, the woman allegedly contacted members of her parental family, who later arrived at the couple’s residence in Nihal Vihar.
The family alleged that Gupta was subsequently attacked and severely beaten by his wife’s relatives. Gupta was later rushed to a nearby hospital for treatment. However, doctors declared him dead on arrival.
Crime
Andhra MP’s son tests negative for alcohol after fatal Aston Martin crash

New Delhi, Aug 22: Preliminary tests for alcohol and drugs have returned negative for 21-year-old Lingamaneni Sanjush, the son of Andhra Pradesh Rajya Sabha MP, Lingamaneni Ramesh, following a fatal Aston Martin accident in Hyderabad.
The accident took place near Inorbit Mall on August 16, when Sanjush was allegedly driving the luxury car. The vehicle struck 26-year-old Bharati Mukhi, a sales executive, leaving her critically injured. She was rushed to Apollo Hospital for treatment but was declared dead on arrival, according to police.
Investigators said Sanjush was allegedly driving at a high speed in a rash and negligent manner at the time of the collision. The Aston Martin has been seized and examined by a Motor Vehicle Inspector (MVI), while the authorities are awaiting the inspection report.
Police said that despite the negative preliminary screening for alcohol and narcotic substances, Sanjush’s blood samples have been forwarded to the Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) for detailed analysis. The final forensic findings, along with the MVI inspection report and the victim’s post-mortem report, are expected to play an important role in the ongoing investigation.
A case has been registered under Section 106(1) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) for causing death through a rash or negligent act. The provision carries a maximum punishment of five years in prison.
Police said Sanjush was not arrested immediately because the evidence available at that stage did not justify custodial action. Instead, he was issued a notice under Section 35 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS) and directed to cooperate with investigators.
The Deputy Commissioner of Police dismissed allegations that Sanjush received preferential treatment because of political connections or outside pressure. The officer maintained that the action taken by police was in line with legal provisions and Supreme Court guidelines governing arrests.
Police added that Sanjush could be arrested later if additional evidence or the findings of the investigation warrant such action. Investigators are continuing to collect forensic, technical and other evidence to establish the precise circumstances surrounding the crash.
The Aston Martin involved in the accident was reportedly not registered in Sanjush’s name. Meanwhile, Sanjush has maintained that he did not leave the scene after the collision. He claimed that he helped take Bharati to the hospital and subsequently cooperated with the police probe.
Following the post-mortem examination, Bharati’s body was handed over to her brother and later taken to Odisha. Her post-mortem report is still awaited.
Bharati was reportedly the sole earning member of her family. Her death has led to calls for financial assistance for her family as the investigation into the fatal accident continues.
Crime
15 years on the run: Delhi Police arrest 72-year-old proclaimed offender in extortion case

New Delhi, Aug 22: In a major breakthrough against long-evading fugitives, the Special Cell of the Delhi Police on Saturday arrested a proclaimed offender who had been absconding for nearly 15 years in connection with an extortion case, officials said on Saturday.
The accused, identified as 72-year-old Hari Singh Shekhawat, a resident of Rajasthan’s Jaipur, was arrested by a team of the South-Western Range (SWR) of the Special Cell following an extensive inter-state search spanning Delhi, Haryana, Gujarat and Rajasthan.
The case dates back to 2008, when Shekhawat allegedly attempted to extort money from a prominent multinational garment company while he was employed with the firm. Following the incident, a case was registered against him at the Special Cell police station under Sections 384, 389, 506 and 511 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
According to officials, Shekhawat subsequently failed to appear before the court on multiple occasions and continued to evade the legal proceedings. Due to his persistent non-appearance, the court declared him a Proclaimed Offender on April 2, 2016.
In view of the recent efforts to track down absconding criminals and fugitives involved in sensational crimes, a team of the SWR/Special Cell was constituted to pursue such offenders and prevent them from committing further crimes.
The team was led by Inspector Sandeep Yadav and Inspector Neeraj Kumar under the supervision of ACP Puran Chandra Pant. The officers deployed extensive human surveillance and conducted sustained efforts to establish the whereabouts of criminals who had been evading arrest for prolonged periods.
“Consequent to the rigorous groundwork for more than one month, it was established that initially, he had shifted to Gujarat to avoid legal proceedings in this case and later on, shifted to Rajasthan,” officials said.
Investigators found that Shekhawat had initially moved to Gujarat in an attempt to avoid the legal proceedings arising from the extortion case. He subsequently shifted to Rajasthan, where he remained under the radar and continued to evade arrest for several years.
On August 13, the Special Cell team received credible information that the absconder was hiding in Jaipur, Rajasthan, in an attempt to avoid being arrested in the long-pending case.
Following the information, a dedicated raiding team was immediately formed and sent to Jaipur.
The police team carried out an intensive search operation in Jaipur and eventually confirmed that the accused was residing inside a residential society in the city. After verifying his presence and establishing his identity, the team apprehended Shekhawat from the residential premises.
The accused was subsequently arrested in accordance with the provisions of law, officials said, bringing to an end his prolonged period of evasion from the authorities.
Police officials said the arrest was the result of sustained surveillance, intelligence gathering and coordinated efforts across multiple states to locate the accused, who had repeatedly changed his place of residence to remain away from the legal process.
Hari Singh Shekhawat is a graduate of XLRI and has worked with several renowned multinational corporations in senior positions during his professional career.
According to officials, he was working with a prominent garment multinational company when he allegedly attempted to extort money from the firm in 2008.
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
