Connect with us
Wednesday,19-August-2026
Breaking News

National News

Yogi to withdraw cases registered under Epidemic Act in lockdown

Published

on

Yogi-Adityanath

The Yogi Adityanath government in Uttar Pradesh has decided to withdraw cases registered under the Epidemic Act for violation of pandemic guidelines during the Covid lockdown.

Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath said keeping in view the larger public interest, cases relating to violation of the Act should be withdrawn.

He asked the home department to start proceedings in this regard. He also said tainted policemen would be identified and action taken against them.

It may be recalled that last month, the chief minister had also announced that the state government would withdraw cases filed against farmers for stubble burning.

A home department official said that Uttar Pradesh is the first state in the country to take back cases that were registered for violating Covid-19 protocol.

These cases were registered under the charges of Disaster Management Act, Epidemic Act, disobedience to order duly promulgated by public servant for breaking Covid-19 protocol.

The chief minister has directed the officials to withdraw cases if they are not of serious nature, he said.

As per records, overall 91,002 cases were registered for violation of Covid protocol across all the eight police zones and four police commissionerate .

The officer also said that maximum cases were registered in Gorakhpur police zone with 18,585 cases and the least were registered in Varanasi Commissionerate with 251.

The state government has formed two committees to screen corrupt and tainted policemen. First under the chairmanship of Director General, intelligence Devendra Singh Chauhan and the second under Additional DG (law and order) Prashant Kumar.

The first committee will screen the officers in the rank of additional superintendent of police and deputy superintendent of police. The second committee headed by ADG (law and order) will screen policemen of inspector and sub-inspector level.

In this committee, the ADG establishment and home secretary will be the members. These committees will give their report after examining the policemen posted in the same district for three years and if they have any kind of allegations against them.

National News

Two killed as CNG cylinder in truck explodes at fuel station in Delhi

Published

on

New Delhi, Aug 19: Two people were killed after a CNG cylinder of a truck exploded at a fuel station near Tikri Kalan Metro Station in the Outer Delhi area on Wednesday while it was being filled, the officials said.

Six others were injured in the incident, the Delhi Police said.

The deceased has been identified as 25-year-old Manish, a resident of West Delhi’s Baba Haridas Colony. According to the officials, he was filling the gas in the CNG cylinder of the truck.

The other deceased has been identified as 32-year-old Sunny Nizampur.

The officials said that the death toll is expected to rise.

According to the Delhi Fire Services (DFS), the six injured persons are in critical condition. The officials said that they were seen standing nearby when the explosion occurred and sustained injuries.

The DFS said that it received a call about the blast at around 3:37 p.m., following which six fire tenders were dispatched to the incident site.

As soon as the information regarding the blast was received, large teams of police and fire personnel were deployed in the area. The injured were subsequently shifted to the nearest hospital.

According to the officials, the exact cause of the blast is yet to be ascertained.

“An investigation is underway to identify what led to the explosion,” a fire service official stated.

The officials stated that the explosion triggered panic in the area. Following this, the fire service personnel carried out all the required precautionary measures at the spot.

The public is being asked to avoid the area as the investigation remains ongoing.

The situation is currently under control, the officials further mentioned.

They added that further details regarding the blast and the hospitalised people are awaited.

Continue Reading

Business

New multi-tracking projects to boost rail infrastructure across 4 states: PM Modi

Published

on

New Delhi, Aug 19: Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Wednesday that four multi-tracking projects that have been approved by the Cabinet will provide a major boost to railway infrastructure and connectivity across Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal.

These projects will have many benefits, like strengthening passenger and freight movement, reducing congestion and greater logistics efficiency. The better connectivity will also facilitate commerce and tourism in these states, PM Modi said in a post on X.

The multi-tracking projects will add important capacity to the Indian Railways network and benefit lakhs of people, he added.

The projects, which entail a total investment of Rs 9,450 crore, will be completed by 2030-31.

The projects include the Kharagpur – Bhadrak (Ranital) 4th Line across a stretch of 173 km covering West Bengal and Odisha; the second project is a 4th line from Bhadrak to Haridaspur across 75 km in Odisha, while the third is the Gummidipundi – Gudur 3rd and 4th line extending across a distance of 90 km in Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu. The fourth project is the Cuttack to Paradeep (Badabandha) 3rd and 4th lines to cover a 72 km route in Odisha.

The projects are in line with the Prime Minister’s vision of a New India, which will make people of the region “Atmanirbhar” by way of comprehensive development in the area, which will enhance employment opportunities, a statement said.

The projects are planned on the PM-Gati Shakti National Master Plan with a focus on enhancing multi-modal connectivity and logistics efficiency through integrated planning and stakeholder consultations. These projects will provide seamless connectivity for movement of people, goods and services.

The four projects covering eight districts across West Bengal, Odisha, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh will increase the existing network of Indian Railways by about 410 kms. The proposed multi-tracking projects will enhance connectivity to approximately 6,448 villages with a population of about 60 lakhs.

The proposed capacity enhancement will improve rail connectivity to several prominent tourist destinations across the country, including Kuldiha Wildlife Sanctuary, Bhitarkanika National Park, Maa Bhadrakali temple, Maa Dhamarai temple, Panchalingeswar Temple, Talsari–Udaypur and Chandipur Beach, Pulicat Lake, Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary, Lord Veeraraghava Perumal Temple, Gada Kujanga Jagannath Temple, Sarala Temple, Dhabaleswar Temple and Lalitgiri, a Buddhist site.

The proposed projects are essential routes for transportation of commodities such as coal, iron ore, cement, iron and steel, containers, automobiles and food grains.

Continue Reading

Business

Cabinet okays key Bihar road project for Rs 3,590 crore to boost connectivity, cut congestion

Published

on

New Delhi, Aug 19: In a bid to expand Bihar’s National Highway network and facilitate faster movement of goods and passengers, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA), chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on Wednesday approved the upgradation of an 82.578 km length of the Muzaffarpur-Sitamarhi-Sonbarsa Section of NH-22 to four-lane, at a total capital cost of Rs 3,590.73 crore.

The project acts as a key feeder corridor connecting the India–Nepal border at Sonbarsa with economic centres like Muzaffarpur at NH-27 (East–West Corridor).

According to the Cabinet, this will significantly reduce congestion in densely populated areas of Muzaffarpur, Muksudpur, Runni Saidpur, Thumma, Dumra, Bhutahi, and Sonbarsa.

“The Muzaffarpur–Sitamarhi–Sonbarsa stretch of NH-22 holds significant strategic and economic relevance, ensuring seamless linkage to the national freight grid,” a Cabinet communique said.

It not only enhances connectivity to industrial zones like Barauni and riverine logistics hubs but also strengthens cross-border passenger and cargo movement via the nearby Land Port at Bhithamore.

Additionally, the upgraded corridor will enhance connectivity to five PM Gati-Shakti Economic Nodes (four Industrial Estates and one Mega Food Park), four Social Nodes (Baba Garibnath Temple, Mata Janki Temple, Punaura Dham, Muzaffarpur and Sitamarhi aspirational Districts), and two Logistic Nodes (Muzaffarpur and Sitamarhi Railway Stations).

Improved connectivity will facilitate efficient movement of goods and agricultural supply chains, support regional economic growth, and provide better access to important cultural and religious destinations such as the Buddhist Circuit and historic Janaki Punaura Dham Temple, Sitamarhi.

According to the Cabinet, the project has been designed for a speed of 100 kmph with an average speed of 80 kmph, having no at-grade median openings, ensuring fast and safe travel.

Moreover, the project has provision for seven major bridges (including a 340-metre-long major bridge over the perennial Bagmati River), three Railway Over Bridges (ROBs), and two flyovers to maintain cross movement of the traffic and ensure safe, high-speed travel.

Continue Reading

Trending