Connect with us
Monday,17-August-2026
Breaking News

Business

Unilever to cut thousands of jobs globally

Published

on

Job

Consumer goods giant Unilever is set to announce thousands of worldwide job cuts this week, the BBC reported.

The Marmite and Dove soap maker will slash the positions in more than 100 countries, with cuts in the “low thousands” planned, the BBC report cited a source as saying.

It comes a week after the firm failed in its bid to buy the consumer health division of GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) for 50 billion pounds.

Unilever, which declined to comment on the cuts, faces mounting pressure from investors to accelerate its growth.

The UK-based firm, which has 149,000 staff worldwide, will make the layoffs as part of a wider restructuring that will see it adopt a more competitive operating model.

It is not yet clear where the job cuts will fall. The firm employs more than 6,000 people in its operations in the UK and Ireland.

Last week, Unilever sparked anger from some investors when it dropped a short-lived pursuit of GSK’s healthcare business, the BBC report said.

Unilever had initially said it wanted a bigger slice of the personal healthcare and hygiene market, to offset slow growth in its foods business.

But GSK, which owns brands such as Sensodyne toothpaste and Panadol painkillers, said the offer “fundamentally undervalued” the division and Unilever has since refused to raise its bid.

The saga has sparked unease about the firm’s management under Chief Executive Alan Jope, with the head of Unilever’s 13th biggest investor labelling the GSK bid as a “near death experience”.

Terry Smith, who runs Fundsmith, urged the company to focus on operating performance its existing businesses “before taking on any more challenges”.

In a further twist on Monday, it emerged that the New York-based activist investor Nelson Peltz had taken a position in Unilever.

Peltz’s hedge fund Trian Partners has previously demanded reforms at rival consumer goods firms Procter & Gamble and Mondelez, the report said.

Business

India’s prime office market rents surge up to 10 pc

Published

on

New Delhi: India’s leading office markets continued to record healthy occupier demand in Q2 2026, with Bengaluru, Mumbai and Delhi‑NCR collectively leasing 9.8 million square feet of office space, a report said on Monday.

The report from Knight Frank said leasing moderated from the exceptionally high levels seen in 2025, but remained robust, supported by stable vacancy levels despite over 7 million square feet of new completions.

Bengaluru recorded the strongest rental growth among Indian cities at 10.7 per cent YoY, followed by Delhi-NCR at 7.6 per cent and Mumbai at 4 per cent.

Prime office rents in Bengaluru reached Rs 163 per sq ft per month. Prime rents of Bengaluru’s office market grew 7.9 per cent YoY to Rs 148 per sq ft per month in Q2 2025.

Global Capability Centres (GCCs) continued to anchor occupier demand across India’s gateway office markets. Further, flex space operators accounted for over 30 per cent of leasing volumes across Bengaluru, Delhi-NCR and Mumbai, overtaking financial services as one of the largest occupier groups.

The increasing adoption of flexible workplace strategies by large occupiers reflects a structural shift in portfolio planning as organisations seek greater agility while navigating evolving workplace requirements.

Across the Asia-Pacific region, prime office rents increased 0.6 per cent QoQ during Q2 2026, with 19 of the 24 tracked cities recording stable or increasing rental levels.

Bengaluru, Hong Kong SAR and Tokyo led annual rental growth across the region, while technology and AI-related occupier companies continued to generate demand for premium office space.

“India’s office market continues to demonstrate remarkable depth and resilience. Demand remains healthy despite the elevated leasing base established last year, reflecting the country’s enduring appeal as a global business destination,” said Shishir Baijal, International Partner, Chairman and Managing Director, Knight Frank India.

Baijal said that stable vacancy levels alongside rental growth indicates a market that continues to absorb new supply efficiently.

“While organisations continue to adapt to AI adoption and evolving macroeconomic conditions, India’s talent advantage, business ecosystem and strategic role in global corporate operations continue to underpin long-term office demand,” he added.

Continue Reading

Business

Commercial flight operations begin at Andhra’s Bhogapuram as Visakhapatnam airport slips into history

Published

on

Visakhapatnam : Commercial flight operations commenced at the newly developed Alluri Sitarama Raju International Airport at Bhogapuram in Vizianagaram district from midnight as Visakhapatnam Airport in Andhra Pradesh slipped into history.

All commercial operations at the Civil Enclave at Visakhapatnam Airport (INS Dega) shifted to Bhogapuram Airport, about 45 km away, with effect from 00.01 hours on Monday (August 17).

The International Air Transport Code “VTZ” for Visakhapatnam Airport was transferred to Bhogapuram International Greenfield Airport. Scoot Airlines’ flight to Singapore was the first to take off from the new airport around midnight.

IndiGo flight from Hyderabad landed at Bhogapuram Airport at 6.45 a.m. GMR representatives, airport and Vizianagaram district officials welcomed the flight. Passengers were presented with Etikoppaka toys as mementoes.

First domestic flight from the new airport took off for Hyderabad at 7.30 a.m. Later flights to Bengaluru, Delhi and Hyderabad were operated.

Earlier, teary-eyed staff at Visakhapatnam Airport bid an emotional farewell to the last flight, which took off at 10.45 p.m. on Sunday. IndiGo 6E 2018 was the last flight to take off for Delhi.

Built during World War II and opened to civilian operations in 1962, the airport has been a key part of Visakhapatnam’s aviation history. However, the shifting of airport operations to Bhogapuram has rendered about 1,000 people unemployed at Visakhapatnam Airport. The workers have appealed to the state and Central governments to provide them alternate jobs.

According to the notification issued by the Civil Aviation Ministry late last month, the commercial operations at the Civil Enclave at Visakhapatnam Airport (INS Dega) will cease for 30 years, except for airport activity at time of national emergency or by aircraft owned or operated by or for the Indian Air Force or other Armed Forces of India or police or any such other authorities or for transportation of dignitaries by special government owned, leased or hired VIP aircraft.

Authorities are operating 20 electric buses from Visakhapatnam to Bhogapuram Airport for the convenience of air travellers.

IndiGo, Air India Express and other airlines are operating services to domestic destinations like Hyderabad, Tirupati, Chennai, Bengaluru, Delhi, Kolkata and Mumbai. Scoot Airlines and Air India operate flights to Singapore while IndiGo operates flights to Abu Dhabi.

All airlines shifted their operations from Visakhapatnam Airport to Bhogapuram Airport.

According to officials, 31 flights will be operated from Bhogapuram Airport on the first day. About 6,000 to 7,000 passengers will travel by these flights.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Bhogapuram Airport on August 1.

Developed and operated by GMR Visakhapatnam International Airport Limited (GVIAL) under the Public Private Partnership model at a cost of nearly Rs 4,727 crore, Bhogapuram is among the fastest-completed Greenfield international airports in India. It was completed within 31 months, nearly five months ahead of schedule.

The airport has been designed to handle six million passengers annually in the first phase, with a master plan to expand capacity to 40 million passengers annually in the future.

Its airside infrastructure includes a 3,800-metre Code 4E runway, capable of handling wide-body aircraft such as the Boeing 777, Boeing 787 Dreamliner, Airbus A330 and Airbus A340, a parallel taxiway, rapid-exit taxiways and 18 aircraft stands.

The airport is also equipped with advanced airfield lighting, navigation aids and CNS/ATM infrastructure to support both domestic and international operations.

The project is expected to play a pivotal role in boosting economic growth, tourism, industrial investment, exports, logistics, and the aerospace and defence sectors across the erstwhile Visakhapatnam, Vizianagaram, and Srikakulam districts.

The integrated project spans 2,703.26 acres, including 2,203.32 acres for the airport, 500 acres for the aviation hub, and 136.63 acres for Aviation University/EduCity.

Continue Reading

Business

BSE Clearing launches 3‑day SLB contracts to boost short‑term securities lending

Published

on

New Delhi: The clearing corporation of BSE — BSE Clearing Limited — on Monday launched three‑working‑day contracts in the Securities Lending & Borrowing segment to provide greater flexibility for short‑term securities borrowings and delivery requirements.

The statement from BSE Clearing Limited said the shorter tenor can also facilitate inter-exchange arbitrage and greater price alignment across trading venues, enabling participants to respond more efficiently to temporary market opportunities.

The initiative builds on the flexibility provided under SEBI’s SLB framework for introducing contracts of different tenures based on the evolving needs of market participants.

The contracts will feature a T+1 first leg and a T+3 reverse leg, excluding settlement holidays, and will initially be available for securities in the F&O segment under the “D” series prefix, the statement said.

The shorter-tenor contracts provided market participants with an additional avenue for short-term securities borrowing and lending through the BSE SLB platform.

The SLB platform will continue to operate through an automated, screen-based order matching mechanism based on price-time priority, the statement noted.

There will be no foreclosure in the event of an AGM (Annual General Meeting) or EGM (Extraordinary General Meeting), and the contracts will not have a facility for Repay, Recall or Rollover.

“The introduction of shorter-tenor SLB contracts is an important step towards making the securities lending ecosystem more responsive to the evolving needs of market participants,” said Vaisshali Babu, MD & CEO, BSE Clearing Limited.

By providing greater flexibility in contract tenures, the facility will support short-term securities requirements, facilitate greater price alignment and further deepen participation in the SLB market, she added.

NSE Clearing Limited has earlier announced the introduction of shorter-tenure contracts under the Securities Lending and Borrowing (SLB) Scheme from August 17.

Continue Reading

Trending