International News
Trump says he is ‘working tirelessly’ to end Russia-Ukraine war
Washington, March 5: President Donald Trump told American lawmakers in a joint sitting of Congress that he is “working tirelessly” to end the Ukraine-Russia war and that he has received strong signals that Moscow wants the same.
Trump on Tuesday read from a letter from Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky he had received earlier in the day, saying he was willing to work “under” the leadership of the American President to bring peace.
Trump addressed lawmakers for almost two hours highlighting the achievements of his administration in the two months of taking office. He spoke at length on the executive actions on immigration, economy, trade, health, education and law and order.
“I am also working tirelessly to end the savage conflict in Ukraine,” the US President said, adding, “Millions of Ukrainians and Russians have been needlessly killed or wounded in this horrific and brutal conflict, with no end in sight. The United States has sent hundreds of billions of dollars to support Ukraine’s defence. Meanwhile, Europe has sadly spent more money buying Russian oil and gas than they have spent on defending Ukraine — by far! And Biden has authorised more money in this fight than Europe has spent.”
President Trump also read out a letter he said he had received from President Zelensky.
“I received an important letter from President Zelensky of Ukraine,” he said, adding, “The letter reads, Ukraine is ready to come to the negotiating table as soon as possible to bring lasting peace closer. Nobody wants peace more than the Ukrainians.”
Reading out the letter, Trump said, “He (Zelensky) said, My team and I stand ready to work under President Trump’s strong leadership to get a peace that lasts. We do really value how much America has done to help Ukraine maintain its sovereignty and independence regarding the agreement on minerals and security, Ukraine is ready to sign it at any time that is convenient for you. I appreciate that he sent this letter.”
Trump did not offer his response to this outreach from the Ukrainian leader who is trying to make amends for the explosive exchange in the Oval Office with President Trump and Vice-President J D Vance last Friday.
“Simultaneously,” the American leader said further, “We’ve had serious discussions with Russia and have received strong signals that they are ready for peace. Wouldn’t that be beautiful?”
International News
Baloch leader urges Trump to act over Pakistan airstrikes in Balochistan

Washington, August 19: The Baloch American Congress president, Tara Chand, has written to US President Donald Trump seeking urgent intervention over recent Pakistani military airstrikes in Balochistan’s Surab district that reportedly killed more than 30 civilians, including women and children.
In his letter addressed to Trump, Chand wrote, “We respectfully urge your administration to investigate these serious allegations and determine whether any US-origin aircraft, weapons, drones, technology, components, or other military equipment were used in the reported operation.”
On behalf of the Baloch community, he also urged the American administration to investigate the reported airstrikes and civilian casualties in Surab, determine whether US-origin military equipment or technology was involved, and conduct appropriate end-use and compliance reviews of relevant US defence equipment supplied to Pakistan.
Chand further called on the American authorities to support an independent investigation and accountability for any violations of US law, arms-transfer conditions, or international humanitarian law as well as review relevant US military assistance or transfers if credible evidence establishes that such equipment was misused against Baloch civilians.
“Mr. President, a Baloch child’s life is as precious as the life of any child anywhere in the world. We are not asking the United States to prejudge the evidence—we are asking your Administration to establish the truth, protect civilians, and ensure accountability. We would welcome the opportunity to provide available documentation and meet with appropriate US officials regarding this urgent matter,” the letter mentioned.
The incident took place in the early hours of August 12 when the Pakistani Air Force reportedly carried out indiscriminate bombardment in residential areas in the Gidar area of Surab, killing civilians and causing significant damage to properties.
Last week, several Baloch activists and human rights bodies strongly rejected the statement issued by Pakistan’s Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR)- the official media and public relations wing for Pakistan’s Armed Forces, following the Pakistani airstrikes in Surab, describing it as “false and fabricated”.
The criticism came after the Director General of Inter-Services Public Relations (DG ISPR) attempted to downplay the Surab attack by attributing it to the premature detonation of a Vehicle-Borne Improvised Explosive Device (VBIED) allegedly linked to a militant group.
Slamming Pakistan’s official remarks, a leading Baloch human rights defender, Mir Yar Baloch, took to X and posted: “DGISPR, which serves as the official spokesperson for the Pakistani military, has long faced severe criticism over its misleading and fabricated statements and official positions regarding controversial military operations.”
“The Surab massacre was a planned act of collective punishment, and local residents of Surab stand as witnesses to the fact that the Pakistan Air Force deliberately targeted a civilian population under the cover of darkness, severely affecting an entire village and leaving its residents to bear the devastating consequences,” he added.
Human rights body Baloch Voice for Justice (BVJ) alleged that the DGISPR resorted to “extreme exaggeration” and made a failed attempt to construct a “so-called narrative” that contradicted the facts, apparently to conceal the ongoing “war crimes” in Balochistan by Pakistani forces. The rights body noted that the reality on the ground can no longer be concealed by “distorting the facts.”
International News
Pentagon weighs reducing US military presence in Persian Gulf after Iran war: Report

Washington, Aug 19: The Pentagon is evaluating whether to reduce the US military presence in the Persian Gulf after the Iran war, as extensive damage to American bases forces officials to reconsider how troops and equipment are positioned across the Middle East, US media reported.
The assessment is at an early stage and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has not ordered a formal review, according to a report by The Washington Post, which cited eight officials and other people familiar with the matter.
A senior Pentagon official described the exercise as “prudent planning”. It could eventually shape decisions on whether Washington should rebuild bases damaged during months of Iranian missile and drone attacks.
“Decisions are going to have to be made on some of this stuff,” the official said.
The Pentagon’s policy office is leading the evaluation. The Joint Staff and US Central Command are also studying the issue.
Central Command normally stations about 40,000 troops at nearly 20 sites stretching about 1,500 miles from Jordan to Oman. The largest and most permanent American bases in the Middle East are concentrated in the Persian Gulf.
Bahrain hosts the headquarters of the US Fifth Fleet. Kuwait houses major Army and Air Force assets.
Since early this year, the Pentagon has sent additional warships, fighter aircraft, air-defence systems and other equipment to the region. US forces have carried out more than 13,000 strikes against Iran, according to the report.
Adm. Bradley Cooper, the head of Central Command, supports discussions about potentially moving American troops west from the Gulf, a US official said. A Central Command spokesperson declined to comment.
Before the war began in February, Central Command evacuated personnel from several bases because they were considered vulnerable to Iranian missiles and drones. Some of those movements could remain in place after the conflict.
“Iran thinks we are in the traditional places,” a person familiar with the adjustments said. “And we are not.”
Six American service members were killed in a March strike on Port Shuaiba in Kuwait. More than 200 US facilities have been damaged or destroyed during the conflict, the newspaper reported earlier.
The US military has also used more than 1,000 advanced air-defence interceptors, reducing its stockpiles of Patriot and Terminal High Altitude Area Defence missiles.
“The war really did highlight the vulnerability … of U.S. forces in the region,” said Michael Ratney, a former US ambassador to Saudi Arabia.
Ratney said moving personnel and equipment westwards to Jordan, Israel or Saudi Arabia’s Red Sea coast could reduce some risks. But he said the added distance was not a “perfect solution to this problem.”
Iran has demonstrated that it can hit targets farther away. An Iranian attack on Jordan last month killed four US service members.
Allison Minor, a former National Security Council director for Arabian Peninsula affairs, said Gulf countries could retain arms sales, intelligence sharing and other parts of their US security partnerships while hosting fewer American troops.
“But you need to be discussing all of those comprehensively and not just the question of the sheer number of troops,” she said.
The Pentagon estimates that the war will cost about $37.5 billion by the end of September. That figure does not include rebuilding damaged bases. The American Enterprise Institute estimated in April that repairs could cost $5 billion.
International News
Trump orders halt to Iran talks: Report

Washington, Aug 19: US President Donald Trump on Tuesday (US local time) instructed his top envoys to halt their conversations with Iran, according to a CNN report, citing US officials.
Trump told his negotiating team, including Vice President JD Vance and envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, not to engage with Tehran despite what officials described as some “positive discussions” with Iran, the report said.
Signaling his readiness to put the conflict at arm’s length, Trump has been unsatisfied with Tehran’s unwillingness to bend to his demands, according to the report. He wants to wait until Iran’s leaders signal fresh willingness to strike the deal he is seeking before reengaging, reports Xinhua news agency.
The White House is shifting strategy to “strangle” Iran over time rather than resort to further strikes, CNN quoted a source familiar with the matter as saying.
US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said on Thursday that the United States would impose measures on Iran that have “never been seen,” and Washington is stepping up a financial campaign against Tehran.
He added that the Treasury Department has targeted Iranian “bank accounts, crypto wallets, assets around the world, cutting off payments into both the leadership in the regime and the government itself.”
Despite repeated earlier assertions that talks were proceeding well, Trump announced on social media on Tuesday that there were “no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled” with Iran.
“The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect,” he added, claiming the Strait of Hormuz “is open and operating” and “all water mines have been removed or detonated,” contradicting reports that traffic through the global energy waterway remains sharply reduced.
The United States and Iran remain at odds over the Strait of Hormuz and the terms for ending the conflict, with the future of the talks uncertain after a 60-day negotiating period set under a memorandum of understanding ended on Monday.
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
