Connect with us
Thursday,21-May-2026
Breaking News

Politics

‘Take it or leave it moment for NSCN-IM’, says key Nagaland leader Azo Nienu

Published

on

As things move towards a possible realisation that there has been enough delay and now time to settle for a pragmatic solution and peace, a key Naga legislator Kuzholuzo Azo Nienu says by inking the 2015 Framework Agreement, the potent NSCN (IM) group had “sealed their fate” and virtually endorsed the Constitution of India.

“The moment the NSCN-IM signed the August 3, 2015 Framework Agreement…sealed their fate vis-a-vis Constitution of India. It was signed by interlocutor R.N. Ravi on behalf of the Government of India and in other words this pact is itself within the framework of Indian Constitution,” Azo Nienu.

He explained, “if it was already within the Indian Constitution, one thing is certain Naga Sovereignty is ruled out”.

It also rules out other demands like ‘integration’ of all Naga contiguous areas and also a separate Flag.

In this context, he said the Core Committee of Nagaland state legislators and ministers — Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio, Deputy CM Yanthungo Patton, former CM T.R. Zeliang and he as NPF legislature party leader would meet at Kohima on Wednesday (May 25) and workout future plans and strategies to meet NSCN-IM leaders and convince them to see reason and accept an early Solution.

Former Nagaland Chief Minister S.C. Jamir has also recently maintained that it ought to be understood properly that all ‘agreements’ made by the Government of India with both the groups, NSCN-IM and NNPG, have to be “incorporated in the Constitution of India”.

“When things are so clear, so my moot point is in the Naga spirit, I think they (Naga underground leaders) should adhere to the signature they have appended willingly and knowingly in the agreement,” Jamir.

Notably, on May 20, the NSCN-IM stated in a press release in Dimapur that — “We understand the pressing situation where people are over burdened with multiple factions and taxations and which can only see the end once early Naga solution materializes”.

It also asserted that it would be erroneous to imply that the NSCN-IM is opposed to an “early solution”.

Recent developments have rekindled hope of an early Solution and more so as elections in Nagaland are due by Feb-March 2023.

Azo Neinu also said in the given context, the stance taken by the Government of India is to be appreciated as they have decided to allow the use of the Naga flag for cultural programmes.

“In fact, the Prime Minister (Narendra Modi) or Home Minister (Amit Shah) are willing to visit Nagaland and also hoist the Naga flag for any cultural event. I must appreciate as a regional politician often taking a stance against BJP but I can tell you, the Government of India has also gone all out to accommodate the request and demand of Naga leaders”.

Therefore, he said, it is high time — “for NSCN-IM to say whether they take it or leave it”.

The NPF legislature party leader said his party wants an early solution and also passed a resolution on the issue in a meeting at Kohima on Tuesday (May 24).

Sources say during separate meetings with peace emissary A.K. Mishra and one key NSCN-IM leader in Delhi recently, the Core Committee led by Chief Minister Rio also made it clear that a solution to the long pending Naga issue is a must to end a culture of intimidation and extortion in Nagaland.

On this, Azo clarified further — “We told them how long can Nagas continue with extortion?”

In fact, the extortion menace is almost a mini industry for the disgruntled elements in Nagaland and Naga inhabited areas.

Earlier this year, Assam Rifles DG, Lt. Gen. P.C. Nair had also said that wherever AFSPA was diluted or withdrawn, the areas saw ‘rise in extortion’.

In fact, even NSCN-IM and other Naga groups under NNPG have also expressed concerns about extortion in the past.

In an election campaign speech in Naga-dominated Senapti in Manipur, Chief Minister Rio also had spoken against extortion virtually echoing the concerns flagged off by former Nagaland Governor R.N. Ravi.

Rio had said in February this year, “There should be no violence in our society…. There should be no extortion,” and went on to add, “The burden is too much.”

“Burden is so much on the common people. We have to seriously think, otherwise there is no future”.

It is worth mentioning that the NSCN-IM has convened a key meeting of all its key leaders and regional representatives on May 31 to decide on the fate of Naga peace talks which had begun during the stint of I.K. Gujaral as Prime Minister in 1997.

It is expected the Core Committee of state legislators led by CM Rio will also meet NSCN-IM top guns including general secretary Thuingaleng Muivah by May 28-29 or before May 31.

R.N. Ravi as the interlocutor and Nagaland Governor had made significant contributions in the peace process.

In fact, Azo says, “Even NSCN-IM leaders maintain that to an extent the offer from Ravi for Naga Territorial Councils in Naga inhabited areas of Manipur and other Northeastern states was a good offer. It was perhaps better than what present emissary A.K. Mishra is making it now”.

“Ravi had proposed that central funds would be provided directly to the territorial councils; but in new methodology, the emissary (Mishra) has said funds would be routed through respective state governments. This discontentment too will be hopefully addressed now,” Azo added.

(Nirendra Dev is a New Delhi-based journalist. He is also author of books, “The Talking Guns: North East India” and “Modi to Moditva: An Uncensored Truth”. Views are personal.)

International News

Trump says Iran talks ‘in final stages’ as US waits for ‘right answer’

Published

on

Washington, May 21: US President Donald Trump has said that his administration is “in the final stages” of peace talks with Iran and is willing to wait a few days for the “right answer.”

“We’re in the final stages of Iran,” Trump told reporters. “We’ll see what happens.”

“We’ll either have a deal, or we’re going to do some things that are a little bit nasty. But hopefully that won’t happen,” he added.

The president claimed he is in “no hurry” to finalise a peace agreement with Iran, suggesting that he would not consider making a “limited deal” only focused on reopening the Strait of Hormuz, reports Xinhua news agency.

“We’re going to give this one shot,” Trump said of a potential deal, ruling out the idea of a partial compromise.

“I’m in no hurry. You never think, ‘Oh, the midterms, I’m in a hurry.’ I’m in no hurry,” Trump said.

The president added that he had a “very good” phone call with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan earlier on Wednesday. Turkey is seen as one of the key mediators during US-Iran negotiations.

Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guard Corps on Wednesday warned that if the US and Israeli aggression against the country is repeated, the war will extend beyond the West Asia region.

On the same day, Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi warned in a post on X that returning to war with Iran will have many more surprises for the United States, citing a recent report by the US Congress that acknowledged the loss of dozens of aircraft.

On February 28, the United States and Israel launched joint attacks on Tehran and several other Iranian cities, killing Iran’s then Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, along with senior military commanders and civilians. Iran responded by launching waves of missile and drone strikes targeting Israeli and US bases and assets in the Middle East.

A ceasefire was reached between the warring parties on April 8, followed by one round of peace talks in Pakistan’s capital, Islamabad, on April 11 and 12, which failed to yield an agreement.

US and Israeli officials have escalated threats of repeating military attacks against Iran over the past few days. Trump on Tuesday claimed Iran’s leaders were “begging” to make a deal, warning that a new US attack could take place in the coming days if no agreement is reached.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

Mumbai’s Garib Nagar Demolition Update: Nearly 85% Of Work Completed In Bandra, Western Railway Says Dealing Matter With ‘Humanitarian Aspect’

Published

on

Mumbai: As the demolition drive at Garib Nagar in Mumbai’s Bandra is underway, the Western Railway has said that till now, 85 per cent work has been completed, adding that the operation is being handled sensitively with a “humanitarian aspect.”

While speaking to Media, Western Railway CPRO, Vineet Abhishek, said, “The demolition work has been going on continuously… By yesterday evening, we had completed about 60% of the demolition work, and as of today, nearly 85% of the demolition has been completed.”

He also added that authorities are handling the operation carefully as it involves a sensitive human angle. Officials are ensuring safety protocols are followed during the use of heavy machinery and are trying to help anyone facing difficulties.

“The case is very sensitive. Human angle is involved. We are maintaining the aspect of tolerance and ensuring that no one is harmed. As heavy machinery is running, we are following all safety protocols.”

He further added that more than 2,000 water bottles and packed meals have been distributed to people at the site.

Abhishek reiterated that based on the High Court’s order, the demolition work is being carried out. He said, “The order of the High Court is very clear and strict that, except for the 100 identified structures, all other structures are illegal and must be demolished. We are doing exactly that.”

Abhishek also spoke on the stone-pelting issue and demonstration issue that occurred at the site and said, “There was a brief issue that lasted for 10–15 minutes, but we all saw how our team handled it very professionally. Within those 10–15 minutes, the entire situation was resolved and brought under control…”

Meanwhile, yesterday, officials said that nearly 100 eligible slum families living on Western Railway land are likely to be rehabilitated within the next four months. The assurance comes after Western Railway recently wrote to the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA), seeking action on the rehabilitation proposal.

The development brought partial relief to residents who have been living under fear and uncertainty since the anti-encroachment drive began near Bandra station. Around 500 hutments exist in the settlement, but railway authorities have identified only about 100 families as eligible for rehabilitation.

Continue Reading

Crime

Mumbai Man Among 9 Arrested In ₹225 Crore Crypto Racket Linked To Terror Funding Probe

Published

on

Mumbai: In the ₹225 crore cryptocurrency racket allegedly linked to terror funding, the dark web, and narcotics trafficking unearthed in Gujarat, nine persons have been arrested, including Zeeshan Motiwala from Mumbai.

According to the cybercrime police, six accused, including Motiwala, allegedly entered into a criminal conspiracy and carried out multiple cryptocurrency transactions. Investigators claimed that Motiwala’s Binance wallet was linked to 57 bank accounts, with transactions amounting to USD 2,355,393.

The agency alleged that the accused converted “dirty” cryptocurrency into USDT and routed the funds through various channels to allegedly reach terrorist organisations.

During the probe, officials traced transactions worth Rs226.54 crore through seized crypto wallets and are now attempting to identify additional wallets and cryptocurrency networks linked to the group.

Investigators said the funds, suspected to be connected to terrorist activities, drug trafficking, smuggling, cybercrime, and other illegal operations, were internally transferred between wallets operated by the accused.

The agency further claimed that some wallets were linked to financial transaction chains associated with Hamas and the Dubai Company for Exchange, entities designated by Israel as terror-linked organisations.

Officials also stated that analysis of the Binance wallets revealed links to Abacus Market, a dark web marketplace allegedly used for criminal activities. The accused are also suspected to have used Monero wallets to conceal fund trails.

Officials found that the wallets were connected to several bank accounts allegedly used to receive proceeds from cyber frauds. According to the agency, at least 935 complaints of cheating and fraud have been linked to these accounts.

Continue Reading

Trending