Connect with us
Sunday,31-August-2025
Breaking News

Maharashtra

SC to examine Uddhav faction’s plea against ECI proceedings to determine ‘real’ Shiv Sena

Published

on

The Supreme Court on Tuesday agreed to list on August 1 a plea filed by the Uddhav Thackeray-led Shiv Sena camp seeking the stay of Election Commission of India (ECI) proceedings on the Eknath Shinde faction’s plea for their recognition as the ‘real’ Shiv Sena.

Senior Advocate Kapil Sibal, representing the Uddhav faction, mentioned the matter before a bench headed by Chief Justice N.V. Ramana seeking an urgent hearing on the matter.

Sibal submitted that “till the court decides, they can’t go to the ECI”.

Senior Advocate Neeraj Kishan Kaul, representing the Shinde faction, said that the petitions before the top court are in connection with the disqualification proceedings initiated by the Speaker and the proceedings before the ECI are distinct.

The top court queried, what is the stage of the proceedings before the ECI.

The bench was informed that a notice has been issued for August 8.

After hearing the brief arguments, the top court tagged the plea along with other petitions filed in relation to the Shiv Sena crisis, scheduled for hearing on August 1.

The plea filed by General Secretary of Shiv Sena Subhash Desai submitted that the respondents purportedly has initiated proceedings under para 15 of the Election Symbols (Reservation and Allotment) Order, 1968 (Symbols Order) interalia seeking to be recognised as the “real Shiv Sena” by the ECI, and are claiming the right to use the election symbol allotted to Shiv Sena — “bow and arrow”.

The plea said on July 20, the top court was assured by the counsel appearing for the Speaker that no further proceedings will be conducted in the matter of disqualification under the Tenth Schedule.

The Uddhav camp urged the top court to stay the proceedings initiated by the ECI on July 22, till the final adjudication by the top court on disqualification of rebel MLAs.

The plea said against the background of proceedings before the apex court, the ECI was requested not to proceed in the matter.

It contended that the ECI was also informed that since the very status of the persons making the petition before it as members of the Legislative Assembly is currently indeterminate and the issue is itself pending decision before the top court, these persons cannot be considered as MLAs of Shiv Sena and their claim or affidavits cannot be relied upon, and therefore, ECI should not proceed with the matter at this stage.

“Despite being asked not to precipitate the matter and stay its hand, the ECI has decided to initiate proceedings under Symbols Order on petition of respondent No. 4 and has issued notice to Uddhav Thackeray and Respondent No. 4 herein, without taking into account the proceedings before this court as well as the oral observation to maintain status quo and in complete disregard of the sanctity of proceedings pending before thisAcourtAand the role expected of the ECI as a constitutional authority,” added the plea.

General

Thane Tragedy: Environmentalist-Lawyer Sarita Khanchandani Dies By Suicide In Ulhasnagar, Family Alleges Harassment By Shiv Sena (UBT) Leader

Published

on

Thane: In connection with the death of environmentalist-activist-lawyer Sarita Khanchandani, who allegedly died by suicide on Thursday after jumping from the seventh floor of Roma Building where she lived in Ulhasnagar, her husband Purshottam Khanchandani has leveled serious allegations against Shiv Sena (UBT) leader and his associate accusing them of harassing his wife and trying to implicate her in a fabricated case.

He claimed that the harassment drove her to suicide and demanded that the case be probed by a senior officer under judicial supervision.

Purshottam, along with other family members, addressed a press conference to present his side of the story. He said Sarita had been helping Jiya Goplani, a woman whose domestic case she was handling. After being ousted by her in-laws, Goplani had no shelter, and Sarita allowed her to live in one of her homes for six years, providing food and support.

Although the court awarded Goplani a monthly maintenance of Rs 15,000, Sarita eventually asked her to vacate the house. Goplani assured her that she was looking for a house in Badlapur and would leave within two months.

According to Purshottam, on Wednesday, Goplani called Sarita claiming she was unwell. When Sarita went to meet her around 11:45 p.m., she found nearly 20 people present. Purshottam alleged that this was a conspiracy to trap Sarita, and a video of the incident later surfaced on the social media.

Although the police were called to the spot, both Sarita and Goplani told officers they had no complaints, after which Sarita returned home.

However, Purshottam alleged that later the same night, Goplani, along with a politician and others, went to the police station and registered a case against Sarita. Shocked by the development, Sarita went to the police station on Thursday but later returned home and jumped to her death from the terrace.

He also accused the Vithalwadi police station of facilitating the conspiracy to falsely implicate her. He clarified that Goplani was not a tenant but was staying at their residence purely on humanitarian grounds.

Purshottam linked the incident to an earlier dispute, alleging that the Shiv Sena (UBT) leader and his associate had encroached upon a government toilet block. Sarita had filed a petition in the High Court against the encroachment, after which the Shiv Sena Shakha on the premises was shut down and the property handed back to the municipal corporation.

In response to Purshottam’s allegations, Jiya Gopalani refused all allegations and stated that she was his wife’s tenant and that Sarita forced her to work according to her instructions; otherwise, she would not fight her domestic case in court.

“On Wednesday, Sarita came to my home because I was not picking up her call. Sarita arrived at my home and assaulted me badly, after which I visited the police station and filed a case against her.”

DCP Sachin Gore of Ulhasnagar said “Based on Jiya Goplani’s complaint, we filed a case of trespass and assault against Sarita. In Sarita’s suicide matter, no note was found. So far, we have registered an Accidental Death Report (ADR) . We will record the statements of witnesses. Further investigation is underway, and if anyone’s role emerges, action will take accordingly.”

Sarita Khanchandani, a practicing lawyer, was known for her environmental activism and had played a significant role in getting DJs banned in Maharashtra.

She also ran the Heerali Foundation, an organization dedicated to cleaning up the Ulhas and Waldhuni rivers that flow through Ulhasnagar. She was a prominent figure in pollution activism in the city, petitioning police to act against violators and raising awareness of environmental issues affecting the rivers.

Continue Reading

Crime

Maloney arrested with 7.2 million worth of ganja and pistol, five others

Published

on

Mumbai Maloni Police has claimed to have arrested five accused including ganja worth Rs 72 lakhs and a country-made pistol and live cartridges. In Maloni, the police had arrested Ashiq Hussain Khan with 1 kg 60 grams of ganja. He said that he buys this drug from Nashik. After that, Santosh More of Nashik was arrested. After that, a total of four accused were arrested in this case and a case was registered against them under the NDPS Act. A car was searched in Maloni Madh in which a country-made pistol and ganja were recovered. This operation was carried out by DCP Sandeep Jadhav on the instructions of Mumbai Police Commissioner Devin Bharti. The police is investigating the matter further.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

The application date for Mumbai students’ education scholarship should be extended till September 1: Abu Asim Azmi

Published

on

Maharashtra Samajwadi Party leader and MLA Abu Asim Azmi has written a letter to the state Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and the Minister of Minority Affairs demanding extension of the application date for scholarship 2025-26 for students pursuing higher education abroad through the Minority Department and Ministry of Minority Affairs. The last date is August 28, 2025. Azmi has demanded an extension till September 1. He said that there is a three-day holiday in Maharashtra in view of Ganpati festival and other festivals, so students will have difficulty in submitting applications. Therefore, keeping in mind the convenience of the students, the date for submission of applications should be extended till September 1 and the government should take a positive decision on this.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending