Connect with us
Thursday,18-July-2024
Breaking News

Crime

Nudity case: Mumbai Police grill Ranveer Singh for two hours

Published

on

Ranveer-Singh

 The Mumbai Police recorded the statement of Bollywood actor Ranveer Singh Bhavnani in the July 2022 nudity and obscenity case lodged against him, here on Monday.

The police had summoned the actor Singh for his version in the case after an NGO and a woman activist Vedika Chaube lodged a complaint of obscenity after the nude photos were published in a foreign magazine.

As there was a huge uproar after Singh shared the photos on social media, the NGO and Chaube lodged the complaint with the Chembur Police which filed the FIR last month.

Singh’s nude photos were carried by the ‘Paper’ magazine and later shared by him on social media — sparking a national controversy.

He was grilled by a team of Mumbai Police for over two hours this morning and allowed to leave.

However, the police are tight-lipped on the details of the statement recording session and whether he was quizzed alone or in the presence of his aides or lawyers.

An official merely said that the first statement has been recorded and the actor may be summoned again if required.

The Mumbai-born Singh, 37, has been booked under Indian Penal Code Section 292, 293, 509 and the IT Act, pertaining to the sale of obscene books, objects to young people, word, gesture or acts intended to insult modesty of a woman, and other related charges based on the NGO and Chaube’s plea.

A multiple-award winning actor, Singh entered Bollywood in 2010 with ‘Band, Baaja, Baraat’ and later catapulted to fame with films like ‘Bajirao Mastani’, ‘Padmavat’, ‘Simmba’, ‘Goliyon Ki Raas Leela-Ram-Leela’, ‘Gunday’, ‘Gully Boy’ and others.

Crime

Karnataka Bus Driver, Making Reel While Driving, Hits Bullock Cart From Behind Injuring Farmers, Killing 2 Bulls On Spot In Hubli

Published

on

By

A government bus driver hit a bullock cart killing two bulls on the spot and severely injuring the farmers on it while making a reel in Karnataka’s Hubli on Wednesday.

In the purported video of the incident, the bus driver can be seen sitting behind the wheel as his aide makes a reel. Moments later, the video shows the bus colliding with the bullock cart on the road from behind.

As per reports, the bus in question belongs to the North Western Road Transport Corporation and was going towards Bagalkot at the time of the accident.

Case registered against driver

The impact of the collision was so powerful that the bulls fell down and started bleeding until they lost their lives. The two farmers from Chakkadi, severely injured, were rushed to a nearby hospital.

As per reports, a case has been registered against the bus driver at the Hubli Rural police station.

Red alert still in place for coastal regions

Meanwhile, with the rains not letting up and the monsoon still vigorous, the India Meteorological Department has extended the red alert for coastal Karnataka till July 18.

Since the intensity of rain has reduced in south interior Karnataka, the weather department has retracted the red alert for the region and has issued an orange one till July 20.

Even in coastal Karnataka, the downpour is expected to become less intense from July 19 onwards, with the weather department predicting that it would be under orange category for now.

Meanwhile, Deputy Commissioner of Uttara Kannada Laxmipriya said that due to the relentless rain, the district had opened 26 care centres by the evening of July 16, including six in Karwar taluk, six in Kumta taluk and 14 in Honnavar taluk, sheltering 2,368 people.

According to her, in the last 24 hours, three houses were completely damaged, one severely and 18 partially, and one human life was lost due to a house collapse in Karwar taluk.

In case of emergencies, the DC said, the public can call the district administration’s emergency helpline number 1077 as well as the WhatsApp number 94835 11015.

Continue Reading

Crime

Mumbai BMW Hit-and-Run Case Accused Mihir Shah Sent To Judicial Custody Till July 30

Published

on

By

Mumbai BMW Hit-and-Run Case Accused Mihir Shah Sent To Judicial Custody Till July 30

Mihir Shah, the accused in Mumbai BMW hit-and-run was on Tuesday (July 16) sent to 14-day judicial custody lasting till July 30. A court in Sewri remanded him to judicial custody on the day his police custody was to end. Shah was arrested by Mumbai Police on July 9 after the BMW car driven by him, while drunk, struck and killed 45-year-old Kaveri Nakhwa in Worli while she was riding pillion with her husband on scooter.

Shah was on the run following the fatal accident before he was tracked down and arrested by the police.

At the time of the accident, Kaveri Nakhwa got stuck in the wheels of the car but Mihir drove it for another kilometre in spite of passerbys attempting to alert him. The horrific incident was captured on CCTV cameras. Shah fled the scene after the accident. While her husband escaped with injuries, Kaveri Nakhwa wasn’t as lucky. She was taken to hospital by passerbys but later breathed her last.

After his arrest, Mihir Shah was sent to seven-day police custody.

What happened in the court?

On Tuesday, the investigation officer told the court that Mihir Shah was not co-operating with the investigation and was not revealing who helped him and whom he contacted after the accident.

The prosecution pressed for extension of police custody arguing that police needed to question Mihir Shah further as his non-cooperation was an obstacle in finding his accomplices and more evidence in the matter.

Defence countered by saying that the police had already recorded statements from 27 people and had important evidence, such as rear number plate of the car, in their possession. Extension of police custody, it said, was hence unnecessary.

Mihir Shah is son of Shiv Sena (Shinde) leader Rajesh Shah. The party removed Rajesh Shah from his post following Mihir Shah’s arrest.

Continue Reading

Crime

Mumbai Cyber Fraud: 42-Year-Old Homemaker Duped Of Rs 13 Lakh In Online Stock Trading Scam In Mira Road

Published

on

By

Mumbai: A 42-year-old homemaker from Mira Road became the latest target of cyber-criminals who cheated her of more than Rs.13 lakh by promising high returns in stock trading.

In her statement to the police, the complainant who stays in the Delta Garden area said that during her trip to Uttan she came across an advertisement regarding stock trading on Instagram. Upon clicking the provided link, the complainant was added to a WhatsApp group in which tips were provided on stock purchases.

During the initial stages she was able to withdraw Rs. 6,600, prompting her to invest a total of Rs.13.83 lakh for buying shares of various companies through 12 online transactions to specified bank accounts in less than two months.

Though she could see her investments on the online trading application platform, she was unable to make further withdrawals. After seeking a clarification from the group admin, she was asked to transfer Rs. 3.90 lakh towards 30 percent taxes. When she expressed her inability to pump more funds she was removed from the group.

An offence under the relevant sections of the IPC and Information Technology Act-2000 has been registered at the Uttan coastal police station against the yet-to-be identified cybercrooks. Further investigations were underway.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending