Maharashtra
Mumbai–Pune Expressway Gridlock: Khandala Ghat Jam Leaves Commuters Stranded for Hours; MP Supriya Sule Also Stuck
Pimpri-Chinchwad: Heavy traffic congestion brought vehicular movement to a near standstill on the Mumbai–Pune Expressway on Friday morning, with long queues reported on the Khandala Ghat stretch and in the Lonavala area. Commuters remained stuck for hours, raising fresh concerns over recurring bottlenecks on one of Maharashtra’s busiest highways.
The traffic jam occurred on the day when the much-anticipated Mumbai-Pune Missing Link project was set to be inaugurated. The project is expected to reduce travel time and ease congestion in the Ghat section. However, the situation on the ground told a different story, as vehicles remained stranded even before the formal opening.
Several travellers reported delays of over two hours. Commuters reported that traffic was heavy in both lanes towards Lonavala. After the Lonavala area and the ghat were passed, the traffic congestion situation was better. Visuals from the scene showed long lines of vehicles stretching across the hillside, with no clear signs of traffic easing.
Among those caught in the jam was Nationalist Congress Party-Sharadchandra Pawar (NCP-SP) MP from Baramati, Supriya Sule, who was travelling from Mumbai to Pune. She recorded a video from her car showing the extent of the congestion. In the footage, vehicles can be seen lined up across lanes with little to no movement.
Speaking about the situation, Sule said that people, including children and senior citizens, had been stuck for hours. She noted that from her vantage point in the Ghat, not a single vehicle appeared to be moving. She added that while the view might look scenic, it was causing serious inconvenience to commuters.
Sule said it was unclear whether the inauguration event of the Missing Link project had contributed to the traffic jam. She pointed out that congestion in the Ghat is a daily issue, but the scale of the delay on Friday was severe, with people stranded for nearly two hours without movement.
She also highlighted that such delays have become routine for travellers on this route. According to her, the time taken to cross the Ghat varies widely, sometimes taking just 20 minutes and at other times extending to two hours or more.
Sule urged the government and police authorities to take immediate steps to manage the situation. She called for better traffic control and deployment of additional personnel if needed. She stressed that the issue affects thousands of daily commuters and requires a long-term solution.
Authorities are yet to officially confirm the exact cause of the congestion. However, netizens on social media have claimed that as this is a long weekend due to Labour Day, many people are going to Lonavala and Khandala for a trip. Meanwhile, commuters continue to face delays, underlining the urgent need for effective traffic management on the expressway, especially during peak travel periods.
Maharashtra
‘…Is Transforming Every Aspect Of Our Lives’: Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis On AI, Says Technology Can Drive Social And Economic Development

Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said that Artificial Intelligence (AI) is transforming every aspect of life and stressed that the focus should not be on resisting technological advancements, but on harnessing them for public welfare and development.
Speaking about the growing role of AI, Fadnavis said that the technology is creating a wave of change across sectors and influencing all areas of daily life. He said that AI cannot be stopped and instead should be utilised for the social and economic development of people.
“Today, we know that AI is affecting all areas of our lives in the form of a wave. In such a time, we cannot stop it. We can use it for the social and economic development of people,” Fadnavis said.
Referring to the Centre’s push towards artificial intelligence, the Chief Minister said that the Prime Minister has already initiated efforts in that direction through the AI Mission and Maharashtra is also working towards adopting similar measures.
“This is what the Prime Minister of our country has done through the AI mission. We are trying the same thing in Maharashtra. I have tried to present the same thing in Imaginext,” he said.
Fadnavis further linked technological progress to the broader vision of a developed India by 2047, saying that Maharashtra is aligned with the national mission and is working towards contributing to that long-term objective.
“The Prime Minister’s mission is our mission. We are running the same mission in Maharashtra. I believe that in 2047, Maharashtra will be developed and India will be developed,” he added.
Fadnavis made these remarks during a conversation with journalist Arnab Goswami on ‘The Maharashtra Decade: Building India’s Trillion Dollar AI Future!’ at ‘ImagiNxt 2026: India’s Festival of Technology & Innovation’.
Maharashtra
Mumbai NCB achieves major success in convicting D Company and Pathan gang leader Chinko Pathan. Five accused in the case were sentenced to death and fined.

Mumbai: The Central Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) got a major success when the court convicted Dawood Ibrahim gang and Pathan gang chief Chinko Pathan. NCB Zonal Director Sameer Wankhede had arrested these accused and arrested Chinko Pathan from Dongri with weapons, which is why the accused has been convicted in this case. The Central Anti-Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) Mumbai convicted five accused in a major synthetic drug smuggling case. The value of the seized drugs is Rs 6.5 crore. In a major success against organised synthetic drug smuggling, the Mumbai Zonal Unit of the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) has convicted five accused in a high-profile NDPS Act case involving the smuggling of Mephedrone (MD), Methamphetamine and precursor chemicals, as well as large-scale drug laundering and illegal possession of arms. On May 19, the Special NDPS Court, Thane, Maharashtra sentenced Mohammad Arif Yaqoob Bhujwala (R/O-Chinchbandar, Mumbai) to 15 years imprisonment along with a fine of Rs 2 lakh. Parvez Khan alias “Chunko Pathan” and Mohammad Salman Khan (both residents of Chinchbandar, Mumbai) and Vikrant Jain (resident of Bhiwandi, Thane) have been sentenced to 5 years imprisonment and a fine of Rs 50,000. Another convict Haris Faizullah Khan (Murshid) has been sentenced to one year imprisonment with a fine of Rs 10,000.
The case began on January 20, 2021 when NCB Mumbai officers, acting on specific intelligence, conducted a search operation in Ghansoli, Navi Mumbai and arrested a notorious history sheeter and drug smuggler Parvez Nasrullah Khan alias “Chunko Pathan”. During the operation, NCB officers recovered 52.2 grams of Mephedrone (MD) from his possession. The search resulted in the recovery of an unlicensed pistol with five live rounds, cash worth Rs 12,500, proceeds of drug smuggling, and approximately Rs 3.57 lakh. Precious metal ornaments worth Rs. were recovered which were allegedly obtained from illicit drug proceeds.
Investigation revealed that the seized contraband was supplied by another notorious smuggler and financier, Mohammed. Arif Bhujwala, who was running an organised network of synthetic drug smuggling from the Chinchbunder area of Mumbai. Based on the revelations and technical investigations, the NCB teams conducted extensive searches at several premises linked to Arif Bhujwala.
The search at Noor Manzil, Chinchbunder, Mumbai resulted in the most significant seizure ever made by NCB Mumbai in a synthetic drug case so far. The officers recovered 5.375 kg of mephedrone, 990 gm of methamphetamine and 6.126 kg of ephedrine, a controlled precursor chemical widely used in the manufacture of synthetic drugs. In addition, another unlicensed firearm was seized along with cash worth Rs. 2,18,25,600. which is suspected to have been produced through illegal drug trafficking. The premises searched by the NCB were found to be functioning as storage and processing locations for synthetic narcotics. Various packaging materials, weighing machines, sealing equipment and items used for processing and distribution of contraband were also recovered during the operation. Several bank documents, mobile phones, electronic devices and financial records were seized and later analysed as part of the investigation.
Further investigation revealed the role of another accused, Mohammad Salman Khan, who was purchasing narcotics from Parvez Khan @ Chinko Pathan and further distributing it to the local drug network. A search conducted at his premises in Chinchbunder resulted in the recovery of 10.5 grams of Mephedrone along with packaging materials and weighing equipment used in distribution activities.
NCB investigators also uncovered the role of accused Vikrant Jain alias “Vicky Jain”, who was the financial backer of the drug trafficking operations. was aiding and abetting the illicit trafficking. A search was conducted at his premises in Bhiwandi which resulted in the seizure of 52.8 grams of mephedrone, including the banned substance mixed in Rajini Gandha and tobacco products. The financial records and banking instruments recovered during the search proved his role in financing and facilitating the drug trade.
In continuation of the continuous investigation and surveillance, the NCB teams successfully identified and arrested another accused, Haris Faizullah Khan, from whose possession 3 grams of mephedrone were recovered. The investigation revealed his active association with a vast network of synthetic drug trafficking.
The investigation was conducted by adopting a “bottom-up” and “network-centric” approach, systematically analysing all the forward and backward links of the smugglers. Through painstaking intelligence development, technical analysis and financial investigations, the NCB identified the principal operators, suppliers and The operation ultimately led to the dismantling of a well-established synthetic drug trafficking syndicate operating in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region. Considering the wide spread and financial depth of the network, NCB Mumbai had also initiated a comprehensive financial investigation to identify and link the assets generated from the illegal drug trafficking.
Maharashtra
‘We Have Removed 100% Of The Illegal Structures’ WR Railway Official Confirms Demolition Is Complete; Debris Clearance Underway

Mumbai: On the fourth day of the ongoing anti-encroachment and demolition drive near Bandra Terminus, railway authorities stated that all illegal structures marked for complete removal have now been demolished, while dismantling work on partially retained structures is progressing and is expected to conclude soon.
While speaking to media, Western Railway Chief Public Relations Officer (CPRO) Vineet Abhishek said 100 per cent of the illegal structures identified for removal had been cleared. However, authorities clarified that under court directions, around 100 structures are being partially retained, with only their ground floors being preserved.
The official stated that the upper portions of these structures, which are deemed unsafe, are currently being manually dismantled by dedicated teams to ensure adjoining structures do not suffer damage during the process.
Authorities said residents occupying these 100 structures had earlier been given an option to remove the upper floors themselves while retaining the ground floor portion, but then the Western Railways decided it would be better for them only to work on it. The railway official added that nearly 50 per cent of dismantling work involving these upper sections has already been completed, while the remaining work is expected to be finished by Saturday.
Alongside demolition activity, debris clearance operations are also being carried out continuously. The official said rubble removal work has been progressing throughout the night and during daytime hours, simultaneously with demolition activity.
Providing an update on debris clearance near the Bandra Terminus side, the official stated that nearly 50 per cent of the debris present in the northern section had already been removed compared to the previous day. Authorities further said that once demolition and debris removal operations conclude, barricading and fencing work across the area will begin.
Responding to concerns regarding law and order arrangements, railway the official stated that extensive planning had already accounted for multiple possible scenarios.
According to the official, around 1,000 to 1,200 personnel continue to remain deployed daily at the site, including teams from Mumbai Police, Government Railway Police (GRP) and Railway Protection Force (RPF).
Railway authorities further indicated that similar anti-encroachment action may continue in other locations where legal procedures and court directions permit action. The official cited the demolition of two illegal structures near the circulation area of Bandra Terminus on Thursday as an example of continuing enforcement measures.
Highlighting broader objectives behind the exercise, the official said the anti-encroachment drive forms part of larger efforts aimed at easing congestion, improving station accessibility and facilitating smoother traffic movement around Bandra station and Bandra Terminus.
Authorities said complaints regarding congestion and access-related issues in eastern Bandra had persisted for years and expressed confidence that clearing the area would improve movement for commuters travelling through both local and long-distance railway services.
The official also described the operation as a coordinated exercise involving railway authorities, civic agencies, district administration, state government departments, and city police authorities.
When asked about Wednesday’s violence during demolition operations, where railway personnel and police teams allegedly came under attack, the official said crowd management and riot-control measures had already been built into operational planning.
Authorities stated that deployment strategies involving different police squads enabled the situation to be brought under control within 10 to 15 minutes. The Official added that since then, demolition work has continued without any further major disruption.
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
