Maharashtra
Maharashtra Congress jolted as MLC nominee withdraws, foists son as ‘Independent’ candidate

In a huge embarrassment for the Congress, Sudhir Tambe, the party’s official candidate for the January 30 biennial elections to the Maharashtra Legislative Council (MLC) for Nashik Division Graduates’ constituency, backed out of the race here on Thursday.
Instead, his son Satyajeet Tambe has filed his nomination as an Independent candidate, saying he will seek support from all the parties, including the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), and meet Deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis soon, though the latter has not committed anything.
“I have decided to step back in favour of youthful leadership of my son,” Sudhir Tambe told mediapersons, amid speculations that the father-son duo may switch loyalties to the BJP.
Tambe’s abrupt decision took the Congress by shock and rekindled memories of the rude political setbacks that the party had suffered during the MLC bypolls in June 2022, followed by the collapse of the Maha Vikas Aghadi government.
The top state and central leaders of the Congress were at total loss to comment on the developments with state Congress chief Nana Patole claiming that he is yet to get a full report as to what exactly transpired and how the official nominee did not file his papers as directed.
“We are trying to get the full information from our senior leaders in Nashik, including Congress Legislative Party leader Balasaheb Thorat, the local party unit and others,” said Patole.
The party’s chief spokesperson, Atul Londhe, said that they had no idea what transpired in the Tambe family, but Sudhir Tambhe has contacted neither the state or the Central leadership of the Congress so far.
The Tambe father-son duo rattled the party hours after Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge formally announced Sudhir Tambe’s candidature. He would have contested for the third time had he not backed out of the race.
Now, there are indications that the party may crack the whip on Tambe in the form of disciplinary action for disregarding Kharge’s directives.
Some leaders are also wondering if all this transpired due to any pressure or external influence, or was a well-planned political conspiracy.
The fast-paced happenings took place a day after the opposition Maha Vikas Aghadi staged a show of unity for the biennial polls to five MLC seats to be held on January 30.
Besides Patole, the meeting was attended by Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) President Jayant Patil, Shiv Sena (UBT) President Uddhav Thackeray and other senior leaders from the three alliance partners.
The five MLC seats comprise three from Teachers’ constituencies and two from Graduates’ constituencies, and the MVA had expressed confidence that it will bag all the five by giving ‘one-to-one fight’ to the ruling BJP-Balasahebanchi Shiv Sena (BSS) combine.
Unaware of what was in store after 24 hours, the Congress had displayed a large heart by deciding to give the Nagpur Teachers’ constituency seat to Sena (UBT).
The Congress would contest the Nashik and Amravati Graduates’ constituencies, currently held by BJP’s Ranjit Patil, who has been re-nominated.
The NCP will contest the Aurangabad Teachers’ constituency for which it has nominated sitting MLC Vikram Kale, while MVA ally, Peasants & Workers Party, will contest the Konkan Teachers’ constituency repeating its sitting MLC Balaram Patil.
Maharashtra
Thief who came from Mumbai and committed several thefts arrested

Mumbai: Police have claimed to have arrested a thief who committed theft in the limits of Milind police station, against whom several cases of theft and burglary are registered in Mumbai. Mumbai Zone 7 DCP Vijay Kant Sagare, while addressing a press conference here, said that the accused came to Mumbai by flight with the intention of stealing and broke into several 5 houses.
Theft cases are registered against him in Nehru Nagar, Milind, Alwaye, Navi Mumbai. One and a half lakh silver ornaments weighing two kg, totaling Rs 15 lakh have been seized. Cases of stalking are also registered against the criminal Rajesh in Dombivali, Vishnu Nagar, Vishai, Vitthalwadi, Manpara, Pan police stations.
The accused told that he came to Mumbai from Varanasi by plane on March 13, 2025 and robbed five houses in 15 days.
Maharashtra
Struggle Against Land Mafia in Waqf Properties: New Amended Bill Adds to the Challenges

New Delhi : In the ongoing battle to protect Waqf properties and ensure their benefits reach the deserving, land mafias, encroachers, and illegal groups were already a major hurdle. Now, the government’s newly amended bill has emerged as another significant challenge. Advocate Dr. Syed Ejaz Abbas Naqvi has strongly criticized this move and demanded immediate reforms. He stated that the primary objective of Waqf was to benefit the needy, but unfortunately, this objective has completely failed. On the other hand, the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC), the largest Sikh religious organization, has been actively involved in the welfare of its community for decades. As a result, the Sikh community has nearly eradicated beggars and human rickshaw pullers.
Illegal Encroachments and Misuse of Waqf Lands Exposed :
According to Dr. Naqvi, Waqf properties have suffered the most due to unlawful encroachments by vested interest groups. The most unfortunate fact is that many Waqf lands were originally donated for the shrines (Dargahs) of Syed families, but they have been grossly misused. He revealed that a well-known individual shamelessly sold an acre of prime Waqf land on Mumbai’s Altamount Road for just 1.6 million rupees, a blatant violation of Waqf principles and laws.
Demand for a Stricter Amendment in Section 52 :
Dr. Naqvi has called on the government to take strict action against those who illegally sell Waqf properties. He has urged for an immediate amendment to Section 52 of the Waqf Act to introduce
capital punishment or life imprisonment* for unauthorized Waqf land sellers. This issue is a major setback for those fighting to safeguard Waqf properties, who are already battling corrupt elements and illegal land grabbers. It remains to be seen whether the government takes these concerns seriously and enacts effective legislation to protect Waqf lands.
Maharashtra
Mumbai Cleanup Marshal and Swachh Mumbai campaign ended, fine collection from citizens also stopped, BMC helpline number released

Mumbai: Mumbai BMC has abolished the clean-up marshal policy, after which now the clean-up marshal has disappeared from the streets of the city. The Municipal Corporation has completely banned the clean-up marshal and the Swachh Mumbai Mission has been stopped. This means that now no clean-up marshal will be able to force citizens to pay fines or take any other punitive action. After complaints against clean-up marshals, Mumbai BMC has decided to stop and suspend the service of clean-up marshals from today.
The Solid Waste Management Department of Mumbai Municipal Corporation, under the Department of Garbage and Sanitation, oversees public cleanliness in Mumbai and the ‘Swachh Mumbai Mission’ has been closed from April 4, 2025. However, the Municipal Corporation administration has appealed to the citizens that if any fine has been imposed on them despite this, then they can complain about it. Complaints regarding cleanup marshals can be made to the divisional control room of the Mumbai Municipal Corporation at 022-23855128 and 022-23877691 (extension number 549/500).
-
Crime3 years ago
Class 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra6 months ago
Mumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra6 months ago
Mumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra6 months ago
False photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News6 months ago
Ministry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Crime6 months ago
Baba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
-
Maharashtra5 months ago
Maharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News7 months ago
J&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface