Connect with us
Tuesday,25-January-2022

Maharashtra

Maha: After prohibitory orders, uneasy calm in Amravati

Published

on

The Maharashtra government on Saturday clamped prohibitory orders in Amravati town which was rocked by violence during a Bharatiya Janata Party-sponsored ‘bandh’ (shutdown), officials said here.

The orders were issued by in-charge Police Commissioner Sandip Patil under CrPC Sec. 144 (1), (2), (3), to ward off any untoward incident.

As per the one-pager, barring medical emergencies, no person shall be permitted to come out of their homes and assembly of five or more persons is banned.

The BJP had called the bandh to protest against the violence that broke out in Nashik, Amravati and Nanded on Friday during the state-wide demonstrations and rallies by Raza Academy and other Muslim organisations.

The morning saw massive crowds surging onto the roads waving flags, carrying banners and shouting slogans amid tight police security deployed in the town.

Shortly afterwards some sections took to pelting stones at private or public vehicles, shops and establishments and the police caned the miscreants to curb the violence.

The Muslim groups’ action on Friday was to register their protest at the recent bout of communal violence in Tripura state which had repercussions here, and virtually caught the Maha Vikas Aghadi government unawares.

After the violence reported from Nanded, Amravati and Malegaon (Nashik) on Friday evening, Home Minister Dilip Walse-Patil made a late-night video appeal for restraint from all groups.

“Please maintain calm… I appeal to all Hindus and Muslims brethren to maintain peace,” Walse-Patil urged, and discussed the matter along with other MVA leaders.

Appealing for peace, Leader of Opposition Devendra Fadnavis said that such reactions to incidents elsewhere have never occurred before in Maharashtra.

“This is very unfortunate… It appears to be a well-planned conspiracy as Hindu shops were set ablaze in Amravati. Even more serious is the manner in which MVA ministers are making provocative statements,” Fadnavis said.

Earlier on Saturday morning, the BJP-led shutdown saw several incidents of violence, stone-pelting which damaged many vehicles, minor incidents of arson forcing the police to resort to mild caning.

“I am closely monitoring the entire situation with the help of senior police officers and discussing with senior Opposition leaders. All those guilty would not be spared… We all must maintain social harmony and I request all to cooperate with us. I request the same to my police brethren to handle the situation cautiously and to maintain peace,” Walse-Patil said on Saturday.

Shiv Sena MP Sanjay Raut, Ministers Abdul Sattar, Ashok Chavan and Yasomati Thak (Congress), Nawab Malik (NCP), AIMIM MP Syed Imtiaz Jaleel, farmers’ leader Kishore Tiwari from Vidarbha accorded MoS status, and others slammed the BJP accusing it of fomenting the violence in Saturday’s bandh.

Maharashtra BJP president Chandrakant Patil and Samajwadi Party’s Maharashtra unit president Abu Asim Azmi and other leaders urged the state government to ensure law and order is maintained in Amravati and condemned the violence that erupted on Friday in three towns, though the protests were peaceful in rest of the state.

Maharashtra

Can reduce Juhi Chawla’s 5G suit fine, but on one condition: Delhi HC

Published

on

By

The Delhi High Court on Tuesday said it will consider reducing actress-environmentalist Juhi Chawla’s fine – slapped for abuse of the process of law in relation to a lawsuit challenging 5G wireless network technology – from Rs 20 lakh to Rs 2 lakh on the condition she does some service for the public.

A division bench of Justice Vipin Sanghi and Justice Jasmeet Singh said: “We will make it Rs 2 lakh but that comes with another condition. Considering that your client is a celebrity, she should do some public work. Her status should be implied for some good of society. She could do a programme for the Delhi Legal Services Authority (DLSA).”

Representing Chawla, senior advocate Salman Khurshid, argued that the petitioner had raised a genuine concern on the impact of 5G technology on the human body. If the cost amount could be waived, his client could go back to pursue the cause, he said.

Later, he said he would seek her instructions on the suggestion made by the court.

Further, issuing notice to the DLSA Secretary, the court listed the case for further hearing on January 27.

On January 21, the DSLSA approached the court seeking the execution of the order, in which Chawla and two others were directed to deposit Rs 20 lakh fine imposed in relation to a lawsuit challenging 5G wireless network technology.

On June 4 last year, Justice J.R. Midha had dismissed her lawsuit against the setting up of 5G wireless networks in the country. Her plea stated the levels of RF radiation are 10 to 100 times greater than the existing levels. It also claimed that the 5G wireless technology can be a potential threat to provoke irreversible and serious effects on humans and it could also permanently damage the earth’s ecosystems.

The court had held that the suit filed by Chawla and two others were defective, non-maintainable, and also contained unverified and vexatious assertions and also imposed the fine.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

Maha BJP MLA Nitesh Rane moves SC for anticipatory bail

Published

on

By

BJP’s Maharashta MLA Nitesh Rane, the son of Union Minister Narayan Rane, has moved the Supreme Court, seeking anticipatory bail in an attempt to murder lodged against him in Sindhudurg district last month.

Senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi, representing Rane, mentioned the matter for urgent hearing before a bench headed by Chief Justice N.V. Ramana, submitting that the matter is a result of political rivalry. After hearing brief submissions, the bench agreed to consider the request to list the matter urgently.

Rane has challenged the January 17 order of the Bombay High Court, declining to entertain his plea seeking anticipatory bail, before the top court. The matter is connected with a road rage incident, which occurred in December last year. The complainant alleged that his motorcycle was hit by a car without a number plate and claimed he heard one of the occupants say “should inform Gotya Sawant and Nitesh Rane”.

The Maharashtra Police had given an oral assurance before the high court that Rane would not be arrested till Monday. However, Nitish claimed the case was registered to stop him from participating in the Sindhudurg District Co-operative Bank elections.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

PM condoles loss of lives in Maha accident

Published

on

By

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday expressed deep grief over the loss of lives due to an accident near Selsura in Maharashtra. The Prime Minister has also announced an ex-gratia from the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund (PMNRF) for the victims.

In a series of tweets, the Prime Minister’s Office tweeted, “Pained by the loss of lives due to an accident near Selsura in Maharashtra. In this hour of sadness, my thoughts are with those who have lost their loved ones. I pray that those injured are able to recover soon: PM.”

In another tweet, the PMO said, “PM @narendramodi announced that Rs. 2 lakh each from PMNRF would be given to the next of kin of those who have lost their lives in the accident near Selsura. Those who are injured would be given Rs. 50,000.”

At least seven medical students, including the son of a BJP legislator, were killed in a major road accident on the highway in Wardha district of Maharashtra early on Tuesday.

According to a police official, the accident took place when they were travelling in an SUV from Yavatmal to Wardha. At one stretch as the SUV sped on a bridge near Selsura, the driver lost control over the vehicle and it plunged into the river below. All the victims were students of the Sangavi Medical College.

Continue Reading

Trending