Connect with us
Friday,21-August-2026
Breaking News

International News

In US crackdown on 26/11 terrorism, Rana awaits extradition ruling, 4 on wanted list

Published

on

As 13th anniversary of the 26/11 Mumbai terrorist attack rolls around, Tahawwur Hussain Rana, a Pakistani Canadian, is in detention awaiting a ruling on extradition to India, and four others, who have been charged in a US court, are on a wanted list of the US government in its attempts to crackdown on the alleged collaborators.

Prisoner Number 22829-424 Rana is being held at the Los Angeles Metropolitan Detention Centre, a check on the Bureau of Prisons database on Wednesday showed.

Rana’s childhood friend, Pakistani American Daood Sayed Gilani who goes by the Western-sounding name David Coleman Headley, is serving a 35-year sentence after a federal judge convicted him on charges of helping carry out the Mumbai attacks.

He turned approver to avoid getting the maximum sentence of life in prison and testified against Rana.

He was also declared an approver in India and a Mumbai sessions court pardoned him in 2015 and accepted him as a prosecution witness.

With the alleged help of Rana, he got a business visa for India and conducted surveillance for the terror attacks that killed more than 170 people, including six Americans.

Sajid Mir of the Lashkar-e-Tayyiba (LeT), who was charged in a federal court in Chicago in connection with the 2008 attack, is a fugitive on the FBI’s Most Wanted Terrorist list with a $5 million bounty on his head.

The State Department’s Rewards for Justice (RfJ) counter-terrorism programme that offers a bounty for information leading to his capture says that he “served as a ‘handler’ for David Headley and others who were directed to carry out actions relating to planning, preparing for, and carrying out terrorist attacks on behalf of LeT.”

Along with him, three others who were also charged in the case, are on the RfJ list.

They are Major Iqbal, who allegedly funded and planned the 26/11 attack; Abu Qahafa the alleged trainer of the attackers, and Mazhar Iqbal alias Abu al-Qama, who is a commander of the LeT, according to the RfJ.

The four are residents of Pakistan, it said.

Rana was acquitted in a federal trial in Chicago on a charge of providing material support for the 26/11 attack, but convicted of helping the LeT and participating in a terrorist plot against a Danish newspaper and sentenced in 2013 to 14 years in prison.

He was temporarily released on compassionate grounds because of the Covid-19 pandemic, but was arrested immediately on a federal court warrant in June last year in connection with the extradition request from India and is still in custody.

Federal Magistrate Judge Jacqueline Chooljian in Los Angeles ordered the government and the defence to file documents supporting their respective pleas before July 15.

In their filing, Rana’s lawyers maintained that Headley’s testimony against him implicating him in the Mumbai attack was not reliable because he was an approver and that since he has been acquitted on the charges relating to 26/11 by the Chicago court he could not be extradited to face similar charges under their interpretation of the extradition treaty.

The government said in its filing that Rana and his partner in the immigration and travel business filed fake documents for an Indian visa making Gilani “regional manager supervising and consulting our operation in the Asian region” to enable him to operate in India.

Gilani used that cover to gather intelligence for the LeT to carry out the attacks in Mumbai.

Gilani kept Rana aware of his activities and he “became aware of how the terrorists were going to attack targets in Mumbai, that people would likely die” but did not distance himself from the conspirators, the government said.

As the case now stands, the last filing was by the government lawyers was on July 21 making technical arguments about a point made in the defence document that it said was “beyond the scope” laid down by the court.

The Covid-19 pandemic has hampered the progress of the extradition case by limiting direct hearings.

According to court documents from the government, Rana and Gilani shared quarters at the Cadet College Hasan Abdal “and remained friends throughout their lives”.

Rana became a Pakistani Army doctor reaching the rank of captain, but immigrated to Canada. After becoming a Canadian citizen, he moved to Chicago and ran a travel and immigration business.

When Gilani was arrested on drug trafficking charges, Rana put up his house as surety for Gilani’s bail.

Gilani was attacked in a Chicago area federal prison in 2018 and had to be hospitalised, according to media reports.

International News

Sensex ends flat, Nifty gains marginally as oil surge, US-Iran tensions weigh

Published

on

Indian equity markets ended on a mixed note on Friday, with the benchmark indices largely flat as global equities retreated following a rebound in bond yields, while rising crude oil prices amid simmering tensions between the US and Iran kept investors cautious.

The Sensex gained just 3.11 points to settle at 77,540.83, while the Nifty edged up 20.15 points, or 0.08 per cent, to close at 24,252.00.

Commenting on Nifty technical outlook, experts said that the 24,000–24,200 zone remains the key support base, reinforced by heavy Put open interest at the 24,000 strike.

“On the upside, this week’s high of 24,360 falls within the broader 24,300–24,400 resistance zone, making this the immediate hurdle for the index,” an analyst stated.

“A sustained move above 24,360–24,400 could trigger a quick advance towards 24,500–24,600,” a market expert mentioned.

Despite the marginal gains in the day’s session, both the Sensex and Nifty declined for the second consecutive week, reflecting continued concerns over global market conditions and geopolitical risks.

Among the major Nifty losers, Trent, Maruti Suzuki India and InterGlobe Aviation came under pressure and ended among the top-performing stocks on the downside.

The broader market, however, showed some resilience. The Nifty MidCap index rose 0.1 per cent, while the Nifty SmallCap index gained 0.69 per cent.

Sectorally, the Nifty FMCG, Nifty Auto and Nifty IT indices underperformed the broader market. In contrast, the Nifty Metal and Nifty Private Bank indices emerged as the key outperformers during the session.

Experts said that market sentiment remained cautious as investors continued to track movements in global bond yields, crude oil prices and developments surrounding tensions between the US and Iran.

“The elevated global bond yields continue to cause worry in the market. The recent US Treasury’s move to ease the bond yields failed to provide lasting comfort, given surging crude prices and persistent inflation fears,” the analyst stated.

Continue Reading

International News

Baloch group condemns Pakistani airstrikes in Balochistan, calls for international probe

Published

on

The Baloch National Movement (BNM) organised a protest demonstration and rally in the Netherlands condemning the recent airstrikes by the Pakistan air force in Balochistan’s Surab district that reportedly killed more than 30 civilians, including women and children.
Addressing the rally, the BNM activists described the Surab attack as a severe “humanitarian tragedy” and criticised the international community’s silence over what they described as the growing threats to civilian lives across Balochistan. They stressed that human rights conditions in the province have been deteriorating rapidly.

Expressing deep concern over civilian casualties, including women and children, the demonstrators urged international bodies to take immediate notice of the bombardment in Surab and bring those responsible to justice.

The incident took place in the early hours of August 12 when the Pakistani air force reportedly carried out indiscriminate bombardment in residential areas in the Gidar area of Surab, killing civilians and causing significant damage to properties.

“Participants appealed to the United Nations, the European Union, and global human rights organizations to conduct an independent and transparent investigation into the Surab incident to establish the facts. They also called on Dutch civil society, political leaders, and European nations to pay attention to ongoing rights violations in Balochistan and advocate for the affected families,” the BNM stated.

The BNM activists reaffirmed their resolve to continue raising awareness across the Netherlands and other European nations, while calling for civilian protection and the restoration of human rights in Balochistan.

Earlier this week, the President of the Baloch American Congress, Tara Chand, wrote to US President Donald Trump seeking urgent intervention over Pakistani military airstrikes in Surab.

In his letter addressed to Trump, Chand wrote, “We respectfully urge your administration to investigate these serious allegations and determine whether any US-origin aircraft, weapons, drones, technology, components, or other military equipment were used in the reported operation.”

On behalf of the Baloch community, he also urged the American administration to investigate the reported airstrikes and civilian casualties in Surab, determine whether US-origin military equipment or technology was involved, and conduct appropriate end-use and compliance reviews of relevant US defence equipment supplied to Pakistan.

Chand further called on the American authorities to support an independent investigation and accountability for any violations of US law, arms-transfer conditions, or international humanitarian law as well as review relevant US military assistance or transfers if credible evidence establishes that such equipment was misused against Baloch civilians.

“Mr. President, a Baloch child’s life is as precious as the life of any child anywhere in the world. We are not asking the United States to prejudge the evidence—we are asking your Administration to establish the truth, protect civilians, and ensure accountability. We would welcome the opportunity to provide available documentation and meet with appropriate US officials regarding this urgent matter,” the letter mentioned.

Continue Reading

International News

Hasina calls 2004 Dhaka grenade attack one of Bangladesh’s ‘most brutal, shameful’ chapters

Published

on

Marking the 22nd anniversary of the 2004 deadly grenade attack on an Awami League rally at Bangabandhu Avenue in Dhaka, former Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina described the tragedy as one of the most “brutal and shameful” chapters in the country’s history.
The Awami League mentioned that during the attack, twenty-four leaders and activists of the party and its associate bodies were killed, while over 300 others suffered splinter injuries.

Among those killed were Ivy Rahman, then Mohila Awami League chief and also the wife of former Bangladesh President Zillur Rahman.

According to the party, many of those injured became crippled for life, while Hasina, then opposition leader, narrowly escaped the attack with ear injuries, from which she continues to suffer.

The Awami League alleged that the “barbaric attack” on August 21, 2004, was carried out by terrorist group Harkat Ul Jihad (HuJI) at the behest of the then Bangladesh Nationalist Party-Jamaat-e-Islami coalition government.

In a statement shared by the Awami League on its social media platform X, Hasina recalled the attack, saying it was aimed at destroying democratic politics in Bangladesh.

“The attack sought to destroy our democratic politics and once again bring the politics of confrontation into the mainstream – a trajectory that had begun with the assassination of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and his family on August 15. We are subjected to propaganda claiming that we were responsible for destroying democracy in Bangladesh,” Hasina stated.

Urging the younger generation to examine Bangladesh’s history objectively, she said, “I want to tell the new generation: study history objectively. Look at who carried out the August 15 assassination. Who killed the four national leaders inside a secured prison? Who seized state power illegally by establishing military rule? Who enacted the Indemnity Ordinance? Who formed the so-called “King’s Party”? Who sought to eliminate political opponents through grenade attacks in an attempt to consolidate their grip on power?

The former Prime Minister further alleged that the forces favouring an anti-independence political agenda had regained ground in Bangladesh following August 5, 2024

“Those who have repeatedly sought to steer Bangladesh along an anti-independence political trajectory re-emerged on the political stage after August 5, 2024. Deceiving the people and conspiring to assassinate me and destroy the Awami League were the principal objectives of August 5. Further evidence of this is the killing of numerous leaders and activists of our party across the country since August 5, along with physical attacks and baseless cases brought against them,” Hasina mentioned.

She reaffirmed that the Awami League would remain steadfast in their determination to overcome all obstacles and build the “Sonar Bangla” envisioned by Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman — “a secular, modern, and welfare-oriented Bangladesh.”

Continue Reading

Trending