Maharashtra
Big relief to NCP’s Ajit Pawar, as I-T department releases 3 properties seized last year: Mumbai
Ahead of the upcoming winter session of the Maharashtra Legislature starting from December 19 at Nagpur, the leader of opposition in the state assembly and NCP chief Sharad Pawar’s nephew, Ajit Pawar received a major relief after the Income Tax Department released three properties including the Jarandeshwar Sugar Mill allegedly belonging to him and his relatives. The Income Tax Department had provisionally attached assets worth Rs 1,000 crore allegedly linked to Pawar in November last year.
The assets included a sugar factory, a residential property in South Delhi, an office in Mumbai’s upmarket area (believed to be Nirmal Tower in Nariman Point), a resort in Goa and land in different parts of the State. The department had seized the properties under the Benami Transactions (Prohibition) Act, 1988.
A BJP leader had claimed that the properties include Jarandeshwar sugar factory worth Rs 600 crore, an office owned by Parth Ajit Pawar in South Mumbai worth Rs 25 crore, a flat in south Delhi worth Rs 20 crore, and a resort named NIlaya in Goa worth Rs 250 crore.
In October last year, teams of I-T authorities raided businesses, including sugar factories, and searched the houses of Pawar’s sisters in Kolhapur and Pune, as well as the Mumbai office of his son Parth Pawar. Sources said that none of these properties were directly owned by Pawar.
Three properties were released based on the Supreme Court’s order delivered in August this year that properties amassed before 2016 cannot be attached and the cases cannot be made under the Prohibition of Benjamin Properties Act.
After the department’s move last year, Pawar had said that he felt aggrieved that authorities were raiding the houses of his sisters in Pune and Kolhapur while stressing that all firms and entities linked to him had always paid their taxes regularly.
As reported by the Free Press Journal, he had further stated ‘’As the State’s Finance Minister (in the Maha Vikas Aghadi government), I am aware of the need to maintain fiscal discipline. Companies linked to me have never defaulted in taxes.’’
The NCP chief had also reacted strongly to the raids and mocked the BJP Government at the Centre by saying that he was not worried by the “guests at home” (I-T authorities).
Maharashtra
Former SC judge R. Subhash Reddy to head 5-member panel to probe Jantar Mantar clashes

Supreme Court’s former Justice R. Subhash Reddy will head the five-member High-Powered Enquiry Committee (HPEC) constituted by the apex court to investigate allegations of police excesses during the students’ march from Jantar Mantar towards Parliament on July 20.
The other members of the panel are: the Punjab & Haryana High Court’s former Chief Justice Ravi Shankar Jha, Delhi High Court’s former judge, Justice Shalinder Kaur, the Central Bureau of Investigation’s former Director Rishi Kumar Shukla, and Meghalaya’s former DGP, Dr L.R. Bishnoi.
The Supreme Court said in its order that the constitution of the HPEC “shall in no way deter or debar the Police authorities or other security forces from taking administrative or disciplinary action against such of their officers as may be found to be in contravention of the rules governing their conduct”.
The issues identified for investigation by the Committee include allegations of excessive force, including pellet guns, electric batons, lathi charges and tear gas, as well as the question whether police responses were proportionate to the constitutional right to peaceful protest.
It will also examine whether police/security personnel were properly identifiable through uniforms and nameplates.
In its order delivered on Tuesday, a bench headed by Chief Justice Surya Kant directed the HPEC to look into “the use of excessive force and violence against protestors by police authorities and other agencies, including the deployment of pellet guns, electric batons, lathi charges, and tear gas without adequate warning or proportionality, resulting in severe bodily harm and injuries, some of which are alleged to be of a grievous and lasting nature”.
The Committee will also look into the necessity of ensuring that police and security personnel wear proper uniforms and visible nameplates at the time of effecting arrests or using force during crowd control operations, so as to secure accountability and enable the identification of individual officers.
The CJI clarified that the larger constitutional questions related to facial recognition technology, surveillance and privacy will be decided by the apex court itself and not by the committee.
The Supreme Court also directed the presentation of CCTV footage to the Committee for investigation.
“The Police Authorities, Para-Military Forces, and other Investigating Agencies, who were directed vide order dated July 28, 2026, to preserve all CCTV footage, drone footage, body-worn camera recordings, videography, wireless communication records, and PCR call logs pertaining to the student protests, and furnish the entire record to the HPEC and extend their full cooperation,” it said.
The court asked the Committee to complete its inquiry and deliberations and submit its ‘First Interim Report’ at the earliest.
Alleged violence, harassment, and molestation of women protesters; provision for medical assistance and compensation for injured protesters; use of prohibitory orders under Section 163 BNSS and whether Section 152 BNSS was used in a manner that could suppress peaceful political dissent will also be examined by the panel.
Maharashtra
No train has been operated at speed of 100 kmph as of now: Northern Railway clarifies on Vande Bharat Express run on Chenab bridge (Ld)

Northern Railway clarified on Thursday that although permission has been received for operating the Vande Bharat train at 100 km per hour, no train has so far been operated at this speed over the world’s highest railway bridge on the Chenab River in Jammu and Kashmir. In a communication to the media, Northern Railway officials said that some reports stated the Vande Bharat train ran at 100 kmph on the Chenab or Anji Bridge.
“Approval has been given to increase the speed of trains to 100 kmph on the Banihal to Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra rail section. No train has been operated at a speed of 100 kmph as of now,” it said.Earlier, some officials of the Northern Railways said the Vande Bharat train has operated at 100 kmph over the Chenab Railway Bridge.When contacted, the officials said there has been some communication gap as the reporters were told that approval for the operation of the Vande Bharat train has been received although the actual operation has not taken place so far.
Senior Divisional Commercial Manager, Jammu, Uchit Singhal told reporters that the increase in speed would reduce travel time and further strengthen connectivity between Jammu and Kashmir.“The move would provide passengers with faster, safer and more comfortable travel while also boosting tourism, trade and economic activities in the region,” he said.
The Vande Bharat train would, for the first time, operate at the speed of nearly 100 kmph on the World’s highest railway bridge over the Chenab River, following the Railway Ministry’s approval to increase the maximum permissible speed on the Katra-Banihal rail section.The senior divisional commercial manager also said the approval allows trains to run at speeds of up to 100 kmph on the 111-kilometre-long new Broad Gauge rail section between Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra and Banihal under the Jammu Division of Northern Railway.
Currently, the permissible speed was 85 kmph on the Katra-Sangaldan section and 75 kmph on the Sangaldan-Banihal section.Northern Railway has also said the speed enhancement was approved after ensuring compliance with all prescribed safety conditions. It is worth mentioning that, with the revised speed limit, travel time between Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra and Banihal is expected to reduce further.
Maharashtra
Congress defends two-stanza ‘Vande Mataram’ stance; invokes Gandhi, Netaji and Tagore

As the Vande Mataram row intensifies, the Congress party on Thursday defended its long-standing practice of singing the first two stanzas of the national song at its programmes, invoking the legacy and endorsement of leaders including Mahatma Gandhi, Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose and Rabindranath Tagore to assert its historical nationalist credentials amid sharp criticism from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).A couple of Congress leaders argued that the party’s position on the rendition of ‘Vande Mataram’ is rooted in a longstanding organisational decision dating back to the freedom struggle and was not a recent political development.
They also alleged that Congress workers continued singing the national song despite facing persecution and British action during the freedom movement, while accusing members associated with the Jan Sangh and RSS of informing the British about the freedom fighters who sang the song.This came a day after the Congress Working Committee (CWC) resolved to continue following the tradition established through a 1937 CWC decision, under which only the first two stanzas of ‘Vande Mataram’ are recited during Congress events. The decision has assumed significance as the Centre has recently made the complete rendition of the national song part of official protocol.
Congress MP Jebi Mather said the party’s position had been carefully established after discussions among several prominent leaders during the freedom struggle and that the practice would continue.”The Congress’ stand on Vande Mataram is not something that has emerged today, yesterday or the day before. It dates back to the 1937 Kolkata session, when great leaders including Mahatma Gandhi, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru and Rabindranath Tagore came together, discussed the matter and the Congress Working Committee passed a resolution that the first two stanzas of Vande Mataram would be sung,” Mather told IANS.
“That decision continues today and will continue forever,” she added.Congress spokesperson Surendra Rajput also strongly defended the party’s association with ‘Vande Mataram’, saying that the song had been sung by Congress workers since the beginning and remained an important part of the freedom movement.”We have been singing ‘Vande Mataram’ from the beginning. During the freedom movement, when we used to sing ‘Vande Mataram’, these sycophants of the British — the Jana Sangh people, the Sangh people — used to inform the British that such-and-such freedom fighter was singing ‘Vande Mataram’, and the British used to whip us on our backs,” Rajput said.
“We did not stop singing ‘Vande Mataram’ even then. The same ‘Vande Mataram’ that we used to sing at that time, we are singing today. The ‘Vande Mataram’ that Mahatma Gandhi, Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose sang, and Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore approved — we sang it, we sing it, and we will continue to sing it,” he added.
“Why did these Sangh people never sing Vande Mataram in their Sakhas? We are ready to be whipped by the BJP, but we just want to know the reason behind it,” Rajput stated.Meanwhile, Revolutionary Socialist Party MP N.K. Premachandran said that the position of both the Congress and the INDIA bloc on ‘Vande Mataram was clear, arguing that the national song should serve as a means of bringing people together rather than creating divisions.
“As far as Vande Mataram is concerned, the position of Congress as well as the INDIA bloc is very clear. It is very definite that the national song is not meant for dividing the people but for uniting the people,” Premachandran said.The Congress defence comes as the party came under heavy criticism from the BJP, which has accused the Congress of disrespecting the national song by restricting its rendition to two stanzas.
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
