Connect with us
Saturday,23-May-2026
Breaking News

Maharashtra

Big Jolt For MVA As Samajwadi Party Announces Exit From Alliance In Maharashtra Over Sena UBT’s Babri Masjid Stand

Published

on

Mumbai: The Samajwadi Party (SP) has announced its decision to withdraw from the opposition Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) alliance over the Shiv Sena UBT’s stance on the Babri Masjid demolition.

As per a PTI report, Maharashtra SP chief Abu Azmi on Saturday made the announcement, marking a major shift in the state’s political landscape. This development follows a controversial social media post by Milind Narvekar, a close aide of Uddhav Thackeray, which sparked widespread criticism recently.

On Friday, Narvekar shared a post on X (formerly Twitter) featuring photos of Balasaheb Thackeray, Uddhav Thackeray and Aaditya Thackeray, along with his own. The post quoted Balasaheb’s statement praising Karsewaks for the Babri Masjid demolition, stating, “The ones who did this, I am proud of them.”

This post quickly gained traction, raising speculation about whether the Shiv Sena UBT might align with the BJP. The move drew sharp criticism, particularly from MVA allies, who questioned the Shiv Sena UBT’s commitment to secularism.

SP MLA from Bhiwandi Rais Shaikh took to X to condemn the post, calling it an unwarranted glorification of “a dark day in India’s history.” He pointed out that the Shiv Sena UBT had gained enormous support from secular voters in recent elections and accused the party of abandoning its principles.

Actor Swara Bhasker’s husband and NCP-SP candidate Fahad Ahmad who contested in the recent Maharashtra Assembly elections, also criticised the post, accusing the Shiv Sena (UBT) of resorting to communal tactics and failing to control its cadre. He described the celebration of the Babri Masjid demolition as a “victory of mob violence over constitutional values.”

Historically, Balasaheb Thackeray played a pivotal role in the Ram Temple movement, with the BJP often attributing responsibility for the Babri Masjid demolition to him. According to Shiv Sena (UBT) leader Sanjay Raut, Thackeray openly accepted this responsibility during the events of 1992.

Maharashtra

Bombay HC Says 100 Protected Structures In Garib Nagar Will Remain Unaffected By Demolition Drive

Published

on

Mumbai: While refusing to grant relief to unauthorised structures in Garib Nagar, Bandra (East), the Bombay High Court has clarified that around 100 protected structures, identified in earlier surveys, will remain unaffected by the ongoing demolition drive being carried out by the Western Railway (WR) against unauthorised constructions.

A vacation bench of Justices Advait Sethna and Sandesh Patil passed the order on May 15 while hearing a petition filed by the Garib Nagar Rahiwasi Welfare Sangh Society.

Pursuant to an earlier HC order, the railways undertook a four-day drive and demolished over 90 per cent of the unauthorised structures while leaving the authorised structures untouched.

The court noted that its earlier order dated April 29 had already permitted the Railways to continue demolishing unauthorised and illegal structures, while directing that the interests of slum dwellers found eligible in surveys conducted on August 10 and 11, 2021, must be protected.

During the hearing, counsel for the Railways, Aayush Kedia, assured the court that nearly 100 protected structures would not be touched during the demolition exercise. The bench accepted the statement made on instructions from the Railways.

“The order (of April 29) is clear and self-explanatory,” the court observed, adding that the earlier order “categorically records” that the interests of slum dwellers found eligible in the two surveys “must be adequately protected”.

The court further said that any action beyond those protected structures must be taken only after following due process and in accordance with law. It also clarified that demolitions already undertaken or currently in progress against unauthorised structures would not be affected by the latest order.

The petitioners, represented by advocate Rajesh Khobragade, had alleged that despite the court’s earlier protection order, structures belonging to eligible Project Affected Persons (PAPs) were being demolished. The plea claimed that residents had been rendered homeless without following proper legal procedure.

The court has issued notice in the matter and directed the respondents to file their replies before the next hearing scheduled on June 16.

Continue Reading

Crime

Maharashtra Minister Mangal Prabhat Lodha To Head 6-Member Anti-Drug Panel In MMR

Published

on

Mumbai: Skill development minister Mangal Prabhat Lodha will head a high-level committee to create awareness against drugs in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region.

The six-member committee will include the Commissioner of Police, collectors of Mumbai City and Mumbai Suburban, and two non-official members.

The formation of the panel comes in the backdrop of the Centre’s strict stance against drug menace. The committee will coordinate with various departments to prevent the cultivation of narcotic plants as well as the production, trade, transport, sale and consumption of drugs. It will also undertake awareness campaigns against drug abuse.

Meanwhile, thwarting a major drug smuggling bid connected to interstate racket, the NCB seized 702 kg of ganja worth ₹3 crore and arrested a duo, agency sources said on Friday.

Acting on specific inputs on Thursday, an NCB Mumbai team intercepted a truck in Gondia and its search led to the contraband’s recovery. Accused duo, Prakash MD & Padamlal NM, revealed that the drug was sourced from Odisha. “It also came to light that the consignment was meant for drug syndicates based in Nagpur, Gondia, Pune and Mumbai. It was noted that these syndicates collaborated for the transportation in single bulk consignment rather than separate shipments,” said an NCB official.

In a separate case being probed by the Kalyan police, a notorious criminal, who was externed from Mumbai and Thane, has been arrested in connection with the recent seizure of 9.7 kg of heroin worth ₹34.18 crore.

The police said that he is the kingpin of an interstate drug syndicate. Amjad Pathan, 47, has as many as 20 criminal cases, including murder, against him. After being externed from Mumbai and Thane, he allegedly shifted his narcotics base to Nashik.

Continue Reading

Business

Fuel Prices Rise Again: Petrol Nears ₹109/Litre, Diesel Crosses ₹95 In Mumbai After 3rd Hike In 10 Days Amid Global Oil Tensions

Published

on

Mumbai: Mumbaikars were hit with another fuel price shock on Saturday as petrol and diesel rates were increased yet again, marking the third hike this month amid rising global crude oil prices and ongoing tensions in West Asia. With the latest revision, petrol in Mumbai is now inching closer to the Rs 109-per-litre mark, while diesel has crossed Rs 95 per litre.

State-run oil companies raised petrol prices by 87 paise per litre and diesel by 91 paise per litre across major cities. In Mumbai, petrol prices climbed from Rs 107.62 to Rs 108.49 per litre, while diesel rose from Rs 94.11 to Rs 95.02 per litre, according to an ANI report quoting sources.

The latest increase comes just days after fuel prices were hiked by around Rs 3 per litre on May 16, followed by another nearly 90-paise revision on May 19. Overall, petrol and diesel prices have surged by almost Rs 5 per litre within a week, putting additional pressure on commuters, transporters and households already battling inflation.

The repeated hikes are expected to majorly impact Mumbai’s daily economy, especially local transport operators, cab drivers, delivery services and small businesses dependent on fuel-intensive logistics. The rising transportation costs have also triggered fresh price increases in vegetables, milk, groceries and other essential commodities across the city.

The increase also comes amid growing concerns over global crude oil supply disruptions due to the ongoing geopolitical tensions in West Asia and fears surrounding the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most critical oil transit routes. India imports nearly 85 per cent of its crude oil requirements, making domestic fuel prices highly sensitive to international market fluctuations.

A day before the latest revision, the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas had attempted to calm panic among consumers by assuring that the country has adequate fuel stock and that supply chains remain stable despite rising demand.

“India has adequate availability of petrol and diesel. Supplies across the country continue to remain stable. Citizens are advised to avoid panic buying and purchase fuel only as per actual requirement,” the ministry said in an official statement. Officials also stated that oil marketing companies are continuously monitoring fuel distribution to prevent shortages at retail outlets.

Apart from Mumbai, fuel prices also rose sharply in other metro cities. In Delhi, petrol reached Rs 99.51 per litre while diesel climbed to Rs 92.49. Kolkata recorded petrol prices at Rs 110.64 and diesel at Rs 97.02, while Chennai saw petrol touching Rs 105.31 per litre.

The latest fuel hike is likely to further intensify inflationary concerns in Mumbai, where rising milk, bread and transportation costs have already increased pressure on household budgets in recent weeks.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending