Connect with us
Saturday,29-November-2025
Breaking News

Crime

Bajrang Dal activist murder: Political war of words continues in K’taka

Published

on

National General Secretary of the BJP and MLA C.T. Ravi on Monday stoked a controversy by saying that “intolerance is present in the community since the birth of Islam”.

Speaking to reporters on the murder of a Bajrang Dal activist in Shivamogga, he maintained that there is “no connection between tolerance and Islam”.

“Islam has taken birth on the premise of expansion. They cannot agree to another opinion or be tolerant of other people. There is no room for questioning and liberty. The community has to accept the brutal ways, there is no other way. May be the scholars of Islam, if they do serious thinking, the truth in this regard will come out,” Ravi said.

He dubbed the murder a premeditated act and demanded that action should be initiated no matter who is involved in it.

Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai said, “Harsha, who was killed brutally on Sunday night, was a worker of our organisation. We have got many clues and arrests would be made soon. I appeal to people to maintain peace,” he said.

Former Chief Minister B.S. Yediyurappa stated that the murder of the Bajrang Dal activist is a condemnable act and the culprits should be arrested soon. “When such elements are arrested and punished, these kinds of incidents of goondagiri and murder will stop,” he said.

Union Minister for Parliamentary Affairs and Mining Pralhad Joshi maintained that such incidents have taken place earlier also in Shivamogga. “The government should consider the incident seriously and arrest the accused soon. One murder case can’t be dubbed as the failure of the government,” he asserted.

Opposition leader Siddaramaiah demanded capital punishment for the murderers of the Bajrang Dal activist. “First find the killers, whoever they may be, they should be sent to the gallows.”

“Home Minister Araga Jnanendra and Minister for Rural Development and Panchayat Raj K.S. Eshwarappa belong to Shivamogga district and they have failed as ministers. I won’t ask for their resignations as they are thick skinned,” Siddaramaiah added.

D.K. Shivakumar, State Congress President, slammed Eshwarappa over his alleged ‘saffron flag at the Red Fort’ remark and stated, “Eshwarappa will blame me for everything. He has already put the state on fire by his statements, let him investigate my role.”

“We are also pained by the murder. Our party condemns the act of murder. We are getting inputs that the murder has taken place for personal reasons. Let them investigate,” Shivakumar added.

BJP MLC Ravikumar stated that amid the hijab row, a Hindu youth had been hacked to death. He claimed that during the Siddaramnaiah led Congress rule, 18 Hindus were killed. “The government should cut the roots of these terror elements,” he demanded.

Sriram Sena Founder Pramod Muthalik has claimed that the killers have been trained in Kerala. “Earlier too, they had attempted to assault Harsha many times and the deceased had filed police complaints in this regard.”

“CFI, PFI and SDPI must be banned, what is the government waiting for? There have been many incidents of Hindu activists being killed in Shivamogga,” Muthalik asserted.

“These elements must be kept in check. If they can commit such a crime in a district from where Home Minister Araga Janendra, Minister Eshwarappa and former Chief Minister B.S. Yediyurappa hail from, it is a total collapse of the system. The community members must be careful. This is not Pakistan or Afghanistan to take out a aword and do what you want. There is law and constitution. They must seek remedies legally to their problems. They can’t play out their things here,” Muthalik warned.

Meanwhile, the body of Harsha, who was hacked to death, was handed over to his family. Despite prohibitory orders thousands of Hindu activists took out a procession, during which incidents of stone pelting, shops’ and vehicles’ torching were reported.

The family sources said that the final rites would be conducted according to Maratha traditions.

Police sources stated that they have arrested two persons in connection with the murder.

Crime

CBI court sentences former oriental insurance manager to 3-year jail in bribery case

Published

on

New Delhi, Nov 29: A special CBI court in Ahmedabad on Saturday sentenced former Senior Divisional Manager of Oriental Insurance Company Limited, Rajkot, Mahendra A. Loonker, to three years of rigorous imprisonment in a 13-year-old bribery case.

The court also imposed a fine of Rs 1 lakh on the former official.

According to the CBI press note, the case was registered on July 11, 2012, following a complaint by a partner of a private firm.

Loonker, then serving as Senior Divisional Manager at the insurance company’s Rajkot office, had allegedly demanded a bribe of Rs 15,000 to clear an accident insurance claim submitted by the complainant for an injured employee.

“CBI registered the instant case on July 11, 2012 against the accused person on allegations that accused Mahendra A Loonker, the then Sr. DM, Oriental Insurance Co. Ltd., Rajkot had demanded and accepted an illegal gratification of Rs 15,000 from the complainant, Partner of a private company in order to pass the Accident Insurance Claim filed by him regarding the accident and injury of his employee,” the CBI said.

CBI officials arrested Loonker the same day the FIR was filed, after he was found to have accepted the bribe.

Subsequent searches were carried out at his residence and office premises in Rajkot. Investigators later filed a chargesheet on December 3, 2012, against the accused for demanding and accepting illegal gratification and criminal misconduct committed by the accused public servant.

After examining the evidence and hearing arguments from both sides, the court held Loonker guilty and convicted him accordingly.

Meanwhile, the CBI Court in Vijayawada on Friday sentenced a former Railway official to one year of imprisonment in a nearly two-decade-old bribery case.

The court convicted Matta Dharma Rao, who was serving as Assistant Divisional Engineer with South Central Railway in Bhimavaram, West Godavari district, for demanding and accepting illegal gratification from a contractor.

Continue Reading

Crime

No firearms used in Bihar Deputy CM Sinha’s victory procession, clarify police

Published

on

Patna, Nov 29: A day after a purported video showed supporters using guns to fire in the air during the victory march of Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Vijay Kumar Sinha in Lakhisarai, Superintendent of Police Ajay Kumar on Saturday clarified that “firecracker guns, not firearms” were used in the celebratory firing.

Vijay Kumar Sinha, who has been elected from Lakhisarai for the fifth time, was welcomed by supporters in a grand procession.

The video circulating on social media alleged that supporters used firearms, triggering sharp criticism. However, the police investigation found the claims to be misleading.

According to SP Ajay Kumar, the device seen in the video was seized and examined by an armourer.

The probe confirmed that it was not a real rifle but a firecracker gun, a device commonly used for fireworks, bird-scaring, and to chase away nilgai and boars that damage crops in the region.

“It poses no threat to life or property,” the SP said.

Locals said that such devices are traditionally used in weddings, festivals, and celebrations involving the fulfilment of vows. After verifying their statements, police released the two youths seen handling the device in the video.

The Superintendent of Police urged the public to verify the authenticity of any video or claim before sharing it online, cautioning against the spread of misinformation.

He reiterated that the firing involved only a firecracker containing gunpowder, not a live bullet.

Following the viral video, RJD leaders were quick to target the Deputy Chief Minister.

From the party’s official X handle, RJD posted, “Fire the bullet, show the double-barrelled gun, intimidate the public – the government of loud speeches has arrived. Now for five years, keep listening to sermons based on stories from 25–30 years ago, because this government is capable of nothing more than this.”

RJD spokesperson Ejaz Ahmed also criticised the administration, saying, “The gunfire that greeted Deputy Chief Minister Vijay Sinha shows the true state of affairs in Bihar. While the Home Minister talks about expelling crime and criminals, the government must clarify what action will be taken against those who created fear among the public with such firing.”

Continue Reading

Crime

Bengal school job case: 269 ‘tainted’ teachers qualified for interview in fresh recruitment

Published

on

Kolkata, Nov 29: The West Bengal School Service Commission (WBSSC) has identified as many as 269 “tainted” teachers from the commission’s panel for 2016 who not only appeared for the fresh recruitment of primary teachers but also qualified for the interview.

In April this year, a division bench of the Supreme Court cancelled WBSSC’s entire panel for 2016 and barred the “tainted” teachers, who were proved beyond doubt of securing teaching jobs in state-run schools by paying money, from participating in the fresh recruitment process.

A petition was filed at the Calcutta High Court recently alleging that some “tainted” teachers not only participated in the written examination for fresh recruitment of higher secondary teachers in September this year but also qualified for the interview.

These “tainted” teachers, WBSSC sources said, got interview-qualified by taking advantage of the new weightage criterion, carrying 10 marks for past teaching experience.

The commission, thereafter, reviewed the background of the interview-qualified candidate and identified the 269 “tainted” teachers from the 2016 panel who qualified for the interview.

The commission had rejected the candidature of these 269 “tainted” teachers for the fresh recruitment process.

However, WBSSC sources said that even this list, if not final, and in the future, if more such interview-qualified “tainted” teachers are identified, their candidatures would also be cancelled.

On Friday, while hearing on the petition filed in the matter, Calcutta High Court’s single-judge bench of Justice Amrita Sinha questioned the basis on which WBSSC determined the “untainted” teachers from the commission’s 2016 panel, which would be deemed eligible for participation in the fresh recruitment of secondary and higher secondary teachers this year.

Justice Sinha raised the critical question on the basis on which WBSSC will determine which candidates will be eligible for the 10-mark weightage criterion for past teaching experience.

She also said that, apparently, it seemed that several eligible candidates were deprived of participating in the fresh recruitment process because of new rules introduced in the fresh recruitment process.

However, her bench did not give any specific direction on the matter.

The next date of hearing will be on December 1, when the counsels of the state government and WBSSC will present their arguments in the matter.

Continue Reading

Trending