Connect with us
Saturday,23-May-2026
Breaking News

Entertainment

Attack on Sonu Nigam: Cops book MLA’s son, sister apologises, ISRA condemns 

Published

on

Even as Mumbai Police on Tuesday booked Swapnil P. Phaterpekar, the son of Shiv Sena (UBT) MLA Prakash Phaterpekar, for the attack on playback singer Sonu Nigam on Monday night, the Indian Singers Rights Association (ISRA) condemned the incident, which emerged as the second �selfie related matter in a week.

ISRA CEO Sanjay Tandon said that they are deeply aggrieved to know about the serious attack on Nigam and his team after the Chembur Festival 2023 on Monday night.

“All singers of the country are in shock and are concerned about this… We request the Maharashtra government and law enforcement agencies to take serious note of the matter and try to ensure that such incidents are not repeated with any singer/artiste whatsoever,” Tandon said.

Earlier on Tuesday, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Zone VI), Hemrajsingh Rajput, said that the incident occurred when Nigam was coming out of a concert in Chembur late on Monday night.

“After the concert, Nigam was coming down from the stage when a person named Swapnil P. Phaterpekar stopped him for a selfie. When Nigam refused, he pushed the singer and two others from the steps, with one sustaining injury. We have booked only one accused (Swapnil Phaterpekar) for the incident… The other volunteers came to the aid of Nigam who was taken away from there safely,” Rajput said.

Swapnil Phaterpekar, President of Sanskar Pratisthan with an MBA degree from London and Mumbai, allegedly ran after Nigam for clicking a selfie when the jostling took place at around 11.30 p.m., but was stopped by his security personnel.

His sister, Suprada Phaterpekar, who is a member of Maharashtra State Commission for Women, said that when Nigam was being ushered off the stage after his performance, Swapnil tried to take a selfie with him.

“Due to the rush, a commotion ensued. The person who fell was taken to the Zen Hospital and was discharged after examination, Sonu Nigam was unhurt,” she said.

“On behalf of the organising team, we have officially apologised to Sonu Nigam and his team for the unpleasant incident. Please do not believe any baseless rumours and those who are trying to politicise the matter,” Suprada said.

Swapnil’s father Prakash MLA Phaterpekar admitted that what happened was wrong but contended that it was not a deliberate attack, but he felt guilty over the matter and tendered an apology on behalf of his son to the singer.

Nigam later complained to the police, which lodged a case against Swapnil by invoking various sections of the Indian Penal Code.

This is the second selfie-related incident that has rattled celebs in Mumbai, coming barely a week after the attack on India cricketere Prithvi Shaw in which his vehicle was damaged outside a five-star hotel late on February 15.

Bollywood

Jacqueline Fernandez did not cooperate during probe: ED tells Delhi court

Published

on

New Delhi, May 11: The Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Monday opposed Bollywood actor Jacqueline Fernandez’s plea seeking to turn approver in the Rs 200 crore money laundering case linked to alleged conman Sukesh Chandrashekhar, telling a Delhi court that her conduct during the investigation was “not satisfactory” and that she failed to fully cooperate with the probe.

Appearing before the Patiala House Court, the federal anti-money laundering agency contended that Jacqueline did not make a “full and true disclosure” in her statements recorded under Section 50 of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).

The ED said that during the course of the investigation, Jacqueline’s conduct was not cooperative as she “consistently failed to make full and truthful disclosures” in connection with the proceeds of crime allegedly generated by Chandrashekhar.

Opposing her plea to become a prosecution witness, the ED further alleged that Jacqueline continued to remain in regular contact with Chandrashekhar even after becoming aware of his criminal antecedents.

According to the probe agency, Chandrashekhar had arranged “all benefits, gifts and valuables” for Jacqueline out of the proceeds of crime generated through the alleged money laundering activities.

After hearing the submissions, the Patiala House Court granted time to Jacqueline Fernandez’s counsel to file a rejoinder to the ED’s reply and posted the matter for further hearing on May 12.

The ED has accused Jacqueline of allegedly receiving luxury gifts worth around Rs 7 crore from Chandrashekhar. However, the actor has consistently maintained that she had no knowledge about his alleged criminal activities or the source of the money used for those gifts.

In September last year, the Supreme Court had declined to entertain Jacqueline Fernandez’s plea seeking the quashing of the money laundering proceedings initiated against her by the ED.

Senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi, appearing for Jacqueline before the apex court, had argued that she could not be prosecuted under Sections 3 and 4 of the PMLA as she had no knowledge that the gifts received from Chandrashekhar were proceeds of crime.

The Justice Datta-led Bench, however, referred to the Supreme Court’s judgment in the Vijay Madanlal Choudhary case, upholding the ED’s powers under the PMLA and observed that allegations at the stage of framing of charges must be accepted as they stand.

The ED has filed multiple charge sheets in the case and named Jacqueline Fernandez as an accused in a supplementary prosecution complaint, while another Bollywood actor, Nora Fatehi, was examined as a witness.

The probe agency has alleged that Chandrashekhar’s aide Pinky Irani facilitated the delivery of luxury gifts and expensive items to Jacqueline on his behalf.

The money laundering case stems from allegations that Chandrashekhar cheated the wives of former Ranbaxy promoters Shivinder Singh and Malvinder Singh of nearly Rs 200 crore. However, Fernandez maintained that she had no role in laundering Chandrashekhar’s alleged illegal wealth.

The 40-year-old Sri Lankan actress, who entered Bollywood after winning the Miss Universe Sri Lanka crown in 2006, has been a prominent figure in Hindi cinema for over a decade, also featuring in music videos and reality shows.

Continue Reading

Bollywood

Asha Bhosle’s son says last respects to be paid at residence in Lower Parel, followed by last rites at Shivaji Park

Published

on

Mumbai, April 12: Legendary playback singer Asha Bhosle’s son Anand Bhosle has shared that the last respects will be held at her residence in Lower Parel.

Speaking to the media, he said, “My mother passed away today. People can pay their last respects to her at 11:00 am tomorrow at Casa Grande, Lower Parel, where she lived. Her last rites will be performed at 4 pm tomorrow at Shivaji Park”.

Her elder sister, Lata Mangeshkar, who was a Bharat Ratna awardee was also cremated at the Shivaji Park in 2022.

Asha Bhosle passed away at the age of 93 in Mumbai on Sunday. The singer was admitted to the Breach Candy Hospital on Saturday. Ashish Shelar, the Culture Minister of Maharashtra made the announcement outside the hospital. Her last rites will be held at Shivaji Park on Monday at 4:00 pm.

One of the most influential singers of her time, Asha Bhosle, sang her first song as a playback for the 1943 Marathi drama ‘Majha Bal’. She is known for lending her voice to some noteworthy numbers such as ‘Chura Liya Hai Tumne Jo Dil Ko’, ‘Do Lafzon Ki Hai Dil Ki Kahani’, ‘Kya Ghazab Karte Ho Ji’, ‘O Haseena Zulfonwale Jane Jahan’, and ‘Ye Ladka Hay Allah Kaisa Hai Diwana’, to name just a few. Along with Hindi, she has sung in around 20 Indian and foreign languages.

In 2006, Asha Bhosle herself disclosed that she has almost 12,000 songs to her credit. During her tenure as a singer spanning several decades, Asha Bhosle has worked with many acclaimed music composers such as Shankar-Jaikishan, RD Burman, OP Nayyar, Ilaiyaraaja, Bappi Lahiri, and AR Rahman. She received numerous awards throughout her career for many of her noteworthy songs. The singer was given the prestigious Dadasaheb Phalke Award back in 2000, followed by a Padma Vibhushan in 2008.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Mumbai: Pan-India Hawala Trail Exposes Chilling Conspiracy Behind Rohit Shetty House Firing Case

Published

on

Mumbai: A breakthrough has emerged in the investigation into the firing incident outside filmmaker Rohit Shetty’s residence in Mumbai, with Crime Branch sources indicating that the attack was financed entirely through hawala channels.

According to investigators, the accused involved in recruiting the shooters, identified as Golu Pandit, received funds via an illegal hawala network rather than through formal banking systems. The money was allegedly routed through multiple locations, including Nepal, Delhi, and Uttar Pradesh.

Sources further revealed that the financial operations were orchestrated by Arju Bishnoi, an operator linked to the Bishnoi gang. The gang reportedly used its network to channel funds and execute the plan.

Golu Pandit is said to have played a crucial role in the conspiracy. He not only recruited the shooters but also arranged shelter, logistics, and other support required for carrying out the attack. Preliminary findings suggest that the incident was not spontaneous, but the result of a well-planned operation executed over a period of time.

‘Maintain Silence’ Instructions Before Arrest : Crime Branch sources also disclosed that Golu Pandit had been instructed in advance to remain silent if apprehended by the police. Following the arrest of shooters in Haryana, the gang anticipated that Pandit could be the next target of law enforcement action.

It is alleged that jailed gangster Lawrence Bishnoi conveyed a message through Arju Bishnoi, directing Golu Pandit not to reveal any information about other members of the syndicate under any circumstances. As a result, despite nearly 12 days of police custody, investigators have reportedly been unable to extract significant additional information from him.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending