Maharashtra
Bombay HC Asks Maharashtra Government To File Affidavit On Ban Against Animal Sacrifice

Warning the petitioner against giving a communal spin in the petition challenging the recent ban on the practice of animal sacrifice within the protected area of Vishalgad Fort in Kolhapur, the Bombay High Court has asked the Maharashtra government to file its reply affidavit.
A division bench of Justices Gautam Patel and Neela Gokhale was hearing a petition filed by Hajrat Peer Malik Rehan Mira Saheb Dargah challenging the order issued by the Deputy Director of Archaeology and Museums, Mumbai on February 1, prohibiting illegal animal slaughter in the name of sacrifice to Gods. The order cited a 1998 high court order that prohibited animal sacrifice in the names of Gods or Goddesses at public places.
‘Influenced by right-wing Hindu fundamentalists’
It alleged that the authorities in Kolhapur had swung into action “only under the influence exerted by right-wing Hindu fundamentalists.” It claimed that it was “age-old tradition” and there never had been any law and order problem. The petition alleged that the ban was passed to “please the majority community for political gains by the party in power”.
“It might be an age-old tradition. The petitioner has also tried to put a communal spin to the issue. Let us be very clear that we will dismiss the petition on this ground itself saying it is motivated,” remarked Justice Patel.
The court emphasized that it would not permit “unregulated slaughter of animals anywhere” as there is a need to maintain hygiene. “Let us make it clear, we are not going to permit any unregulated or unmonitored slaughter of animals anywhere. There needs to be some level of civic hygiene and sanitation maintained,” added Justice Patel. It further added that there was a need to preserve the area surrounding the fort.
According to the petition, the dargah within the fort precinct was one of the most ancient and historical monuments in Maharashtra. It was constructed in the 11th century and visited by both Hindus and Muslims. The plea claimed that animal sacrifice at the dargah was an integral custom. Also, the actual sacrifice is not carried out in a public place but at a privately-owned land and is performed behind closed doors.
These offerings are then served to pilgrims and others at the dargah and have been a source of food to many poor and backward people residing in the surrounding villages of Vishalgad fort.
Petitioner soughts Stay Order
Terming the ban as arbitrary, discriminatory, unjust, high handed, oppressive, and violative of their fundamental rights, the petitioner has sought a stay on the same.
Petitioner’s advocate Satish Talekar sought an interim stay on the collector’s order which was refused by the bench saying: ““There is no question of interim relief in matters like this. It is an irreversible process. We are not going to permit unregulated and unmonitored slaughter anywhere for any purpose. There is an invocation of the need to maintain correct hygiene and cleanliness.”
The HC has kept the PIL for hearing on July 5.
Maharashtra
Thief who came from Mumbai and committed several thefts arrested

Mumbai: Police have claimed to have arrested a thief who committed theft in the limits of Milind police station, against whom several cases of theft and burglary are registered in Mumbai. Mumbai Zone 7 DCP Vijay Kant Sagare, while addressing a press conference here, said that the accused came to Mumbai by flight with the intention of stealing and broke into several 5 houses.
Theft cases are registered against him in Nehru Nagar, Milind, Alwaye, Navi Mumbai. One and a half lakh silver ornaments weighing two kg, totaling Rs 15 lakh have been seized. Cases of stalking are also registered against the criminal Rajesh in Dombivali, Vishnu Nagar, Vishai, Vitthalwadi, Manpara, Pan police stations.
The accused told that he came to Mumbai from Varanasi by plane on March 13, 2025 and robbed five houses in 15 days.
Maharashtra
Struggle Against Land Mafia in Waqf Properties: New Amended Bill Adds to the Challenges

New Delhi : In the ongoing battle to protect Waqf properties and ensure their benefits reach the deserving, land mafias, encroachers, and illegal groups were already a major hurdle. Now, the government’s newly amended bill has emerged as another significant challenge. Advocate Dr. Syed Ejaz Abbas Naqvi has strongly criticized this move and demanded immediate reforms. He stated that the primary objective of Waqf was to benefit the needy, but unfortunately, this objective has completely failed. On the other hand, the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC), the largest Sikh religious organization, has been actively involved in the welfare of its community for decades. As a result, the Sikh community has nearly eradicated beggars and human rickshaw pullers.
Illegal Encroachments and Misuse of Waqf Lands Exposed :
According to Dr. Naqvi, Waqf properties have suffered the most due to unlawful encroachments by vested interest groups. The most unfortunate fact is that many Waqf lands were originally donated for the shrines (Dargahs) of Syed families, but they have been grossly misused. He revealed that a well-known individual shamelessly sold an acre of prime Waqf land on Mumbai’s Altamount Road for just 1.6 million rupees, a blatant violation of Waqf principles and laws.
Demand for a Stricter Amendment in Section 52 :
Dr. Naqvi has called on the government to take strict action against those who illegally sell Waqf properties. He has urged for an immediate amendment to Section 52 of the Waqf Act to introduce
capital punishment or life imprisonment* for unauthorized Waqf land sellers. This issue is a major setback for those fighting to safeguard Waqf properties, who are already battling corrupt elements and illegal land grabbers. It remains to be seen whether the government takes these concerns seriously and enacts effective legislation to protect Waqf lands.
Maharashtra
Mumbai Cleanup Marshal and Swachh Mumbai campaign ended, fine collection from citizens also stopped, BMC helpline number released

Mumbai: Mumbai BMC has abolished the clean-up marshal policy, after which now the clean-up marshal has disappeared from the streets of the city. The Municipal Corporation has completely banned the clean-up marshal and the Swachh Mumbai Mission has been stopped. This means that now no clean-up marshal will be able to force citizens to pay fines or take any other punitive action. After complaints against clean-up marshals, Mumbai BMC has decided to stop and suspend the service of clean-up marshals from today.
The Solid Waste Management Department of Mumbai Municipal Corporation, under the Department of Garbage and Sanitation, oversees public cleanliness in Mumbai and the ‘Swachh Mumbai Mission’ has been closed from April 4, 2025. However, the Municipal Corporation administration has appealed to the citizens that if any fine has been imposed on them despite this, then they can complain about it. Complaints regarding cleanup marshals can be made to the divisional control room of the Mumbai Municipal Corporation at 022-23855128 and 022-23877691 (extension number 549/500).
-
Crime3 years ago
Class 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra6 months ago
Mumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra6 months ago
Mumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra6 months ago
False photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News6 months ago
Ministry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Crime6 months ago
Baba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
-
Maharashtra5 months ago
Maharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News7 months ago
J&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface