Business
Indian EV makers to soon follow BIS standards for batteries amid fires

As fires and explosions in electric two-wheelers continue unabated, the government is all set to introduce EV battery standards (BIS standards) for EV two-wheelers that will be expanded to four-wheelers at a later stage.
CNBC-TV18, citing sources from the consumer affairs ministry, first reported the development.
The BIS standards for EV batteries will look into “size, connectors, specification and minimum quality of cells, the battery’s capacity”.
Acknowledging an urgent need, the sources in the ministry said that it is in touch with the battery industry stakeholders to bring out BIS guidelines for EV batteries, as initial reports have found serious defects in the batteries, including designs of the battery packs and modules.
Earlier, NITI Aayog in a discussion paper also stressed upon the need for BIS standards as the first step towards a national battery swapping policy.
The preliminary findings from the government-constituted probe committee on EV fires have already identified issues with battery cells or design in nearly all of the electric two-wheeler fire incidents in the country.
The committee was constituted in the wake of EV fires and battery blasts in e-scooters.
The experts found defects in battery cells as well as battery design in nearly all EV fires.
The government is now working on new quality-centric guidelines for EVs that will be unveiled soon.
The Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) that was tasked with investigating EV fire incidents by the Union Road Transport and Highways Ministry, found serious defects in the batteries.
These defects occurred because the electric two-wheeler manufacturers like Okinawa Autotech, Pure EV, Jitendra Electric Vehicles, Ola Electric and Boom Motors may have used “lower-grade materials to cut costs”.
The Centre for Fire, Explosive and Environment Safety (CFEES) at the DRDO has submitted its fact-finding report to the Ministry which summoned representatives of these EV manufacturers, asking them to submit an explanation on the DRDO report findings.
Earlier this month, the Central Consumer Protection Authority (CCPA), which comes under the Union Consumer Affairs Ministry, sent notices to Pure EV and Boom Motors after their e-scooters exploded in April.
National
Uddhav Thackeray has betrayed Balasaheb’s ideals, says Bawankule on Waqf Bill

Pune, April 5: Maharashtra BJP president and Revenue Minister Chandrashekhar Bawankule here on Saturday launched a sharp attack on Shiv Sena (UBT) chief Uddhav Thackeray, accusing him of betraying the ideals and vision of his father, Balasaheb Thackeray, by opposing the Waqf Amendment Bill.
Bawankule claimed that Thackeray’s stance was driven by vote-bank politics ahead of the upcoming Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) elections.
“Uddhav Thackeray’s position on the Waqf Amendment Bill is not even acceptable to his own workers. I’ve received messages from across the state suggesting that many Shiv Sainiks are disillusioned and considering quitting the party. His Shiv Sena won’t survive another year,” Bawankule asserted.
He further alleged, “By opposing the Waqf Amendment Bill, Uddhav Thackeray has committed a serious offence.”
On Friday, Deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis defended the Bill, stating that it reflects the secular and democratic spirit enshrined in the Constitution.
“The Waqf Board that existed till now was a product of appeasement politics. It neither benefited the minority community nor contributed to any charitable cause. On the contrary, it was used to forcibly grab land. The biggest Waqf land scam in Maharashtra happened during the Congress regime. We had even initiated an inquiry into it,” Fadnavis said.
He added that the amended law would bring much-needed transparency and ensure that the benefits reach the common Muslim.
“The Bill does not infringe upon any religious beliefs. It merely corrects historical wrongs. It also ensures women’s representation on the Waqf Board and removes the earlier provision that barred judicial scrutiny of its actions,” he said.
Fadnavis also alleged that Waqf lands were often taken over by the Board and later by Congress leaders, adding, “The Bill is aimed at ending this loot. Those who truly follow Balasaheb Thackeray’s ideals should support it.”
Deputy Chief Minister Eknath Shinde, who also heads a faction of the Shiv Sena, accused Thackeray of abandoning Hindutva and compromising Balasaheb’s principles. “His opposition to the Bill exposes his real priorities — power over people’s welfare,” Shinde said.
Crime
Kunal Kamra issued third summons by Mumbai Police, asked to appear for questioning today

Mumbai, April 5: Stand up comedian Kunal Kamra has been issued a third summons by Mumbai’s Khar Police, asking him to appear for questioning on Saturday.
This summons follows two previous attempts by the police to call Kamra in for investigation, but the comedian failed to show up for either of the earlier summons.
Kamra is under investigation for an alleged controversial comment that was understood to be an indirect swipe at Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Eknath Shinde.
The video, which aired following Kamra’s performance at the Habitat Comedy Club in Khar, saw the comedian using a modified version of a popular Bollywood song from ‘Dil To Pagal Hai.’ “Meri nazar se tum dekho toh, gaddar nazar wo aaye. Haaye,” Kunal Kamra said during his show which was understood to be a jibe at Shinde.
The comments, were perceived to be made in the context of the 2022 Maharashtra political crisis, which led to the fall of the Uddhav Thackeray-led government, resulted in multiple FIRs being filed against Kamra.
Following the release of Kamra’s video on March 23, Shiv Sena workers, angered by his remarks, vandalised the Unicontinental Hotel in Khar where Kamra had recorded the video. This incident led to the arrest of 12 Shinde supporters, who were later granted bail.
In response to the summons, Kamra had earlier stated he was unavailable in Mumbai due to prior commitments and offered to appear for questioning on April 2.
However, the police did not accept his request for a delayed appearance.
Kamra’s lawyer, V. Suresh, had expressed concerns about Kamra’s safety, claiming he had received threats from certain Maharashtra Cabinet ministers.
Mumbai’s Khar Police Station is investigating the matter, with two FIRs already filed against Kamra for derogatory remarks. In addition, three more FIRs filed against him in different parts of Maharashtra have been combined into the Mumbai investigation.
The police have confirmed that Kamra is not currently in contact with the Khar police station. Kamra has been granted protection from arrest until April 7 by the Madras High Court, but the latest summons indicate that the investigation is moving forward despite his earlier refusals to comply.
Business
India-US trade negotiations key to boost stock market sentiment: Experts

New Delhi, April 5: The new financial year (FY26) has commenced on a subdued note, largely driven by the imposition of higher-than-anticipated tariffs by the US, market experts said on Saturday, adding that any constructive developments arising from the ongoing India–US bilateral trade negotiations could serve as a supportive catalyst for the market.
Sectors like IT and metals have underperformed relative to the broader market, reflecting growing concerns over the outlook for the US economy and potential retaliatory trade actions by other countries.
According to Vinod Nair, Head of Research, Geojit Investments Limited, investors are expected to closely monitor any countermeasures implemented by global trade partners, which could further exacerbate geopolitical and economic uncertainty.
This cautious sentiment is reflected in the sustained rally in gold and bond prices, underscoring a pronounced shift toward safe-haven assets.
Meanwhile, benchmark indices extended their losing streak to a second session on Friday, falling over a per cent each, as a risk-off sentiment took over global markets amid fears of a trade war on the back of US President Donald Trump’s reciprocal tariffs, according to a Bajaj Broking Research note.
Nifty was down 345.65 points or 1.49 per cent at 22,904.45. Investors fear that aggressive trade policies by US would lead to retaliatory measures from other countries, escalating into a full-scale trade war. Such an outcome could disrupt global supply chains and slow economic growth.
The broader markets witnessed sharp decline, with the Nifty Midcap 100 and Nifty Small cap 100 declining by 2.91 per cent and 3.56 per cent, respectively. All the sectoral indices traded with sharp cuts, with the IT, Auto, Pharma, PSU Bank, Realty, Oil and Gas and metals gauges losing 6 per cent to 3 per cent.
Index is currently placed around the key support area of 22,700-22,800, holding above the same will be crucial for pullback to materialise towards last week high 23,565 in coming week.
“Failure to hold above the support area of 22,700 can lead to extended decline towards 22,300 levels. Along with the development on US tariff policies, market participant will also keep a close eye on the RBI monetary policy outcome and resumption of Q4 FY25 earnings season in the coming week,” said Bajaj Broking Research.
Investor attention is also firmly fixed on the upcoming MPC meeting, with the benchmark interest rate decision expected next week.
A favourable outcome could benefit rate-sensitive sectors. In addition, key macroeconomic indicators — namely India’s inflation figures and US jobless claims — will be closely watched, as they are likely to offer critical insights into the underlying economic conditions in both regions, said experts.
Meanwhile, market focus is gradually shifting toward the upcoming corporate earnings season. The initial outlook remains subdued, with the risk of further downward revisions to earnings growth, largely due to tepid demand and continued margin pressures.
-
Crime3 years ago
Class 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra6 months ago
Mumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra6 months ago
Mumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra6 months ago
False photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News6 months ago
Ministry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Crime6 months ago
Baba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
-
Maharashtra5 months ago
Maharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News7 months ago
J&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface