National News
Will send strong message of unity: Cong leaders back demand for special Parliament session
New Delhi, April 29: Congress leaders on Tuesday stepped up their demand for a special session of Parliament, endorsing the call made by Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi and party president Mallikarjun Kharge in response to the brutal terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pahalgam.
The attack, orchestrated by ‘The Resistance Front’, an offshoot of the banned Pakistan-based terror group Lashkar-e-Taiba, saw terrorists open fire on a group of tourists in the Baisaran Valley, killing 26 people and injuring several others.
Rahul Gandhi and Kharge have written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, urging him to convene a special session of both Houses of Parliament at the earliest to demonstrate a united national stand against terrorism.
Congress leader Sandeep Dikshit told Media, “This is a good thing. We will be able to raise our views together. In such a time, there won’t be any differences between the ruling and the Opposition; everyone will be united on this issue. It will send a good and strong message of unity to the world.”
“Whenever such things happened, special sessions were convened. So, it will be good if a special session is held soon,” Dikshit added.
Congress leader Pramod Tiwari also spoke to Media, saying, “Rahul Gandhi and Mallikarjun Kharge had said in the all-party meeting that the Congress party is with the government in India’s fight against terrorism. We will be with the government in whatever steps it takes. The special session will be welcomed by the Opposition.”
Congress leader Udit Raj further emphasised the need for the special session, stating that the government should have acted sooner.
“Now the matter becomes even more serious. If a terrorist was part of the Pakistani Army and their Defence Minister himself admitted that they had been providing training, and 26 people were killed in Pahalgam, necessary action must be taken,” he told Media.
“The government should call a Parliament session instead of the Opposition seeking it. It was Congress that demanded the all-party meeting. It seems the government only want to make allegations and not take action,” Raj added.
In his letter dated April 28, Rahul Gandhi wrote, “The terrorist attack in Pahalgam has outraged every Indian. At this critical time, India must show that we will always stand together against terrorism. The Opposition believes that a special session of both Houses of Parliament should be convened, where the representatives of the people can show their unity and determination.”
Kharge, the Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha, echoed Rahul Gandhi’s appeal, stating, “At this moment, when unity and solidarity are essential, the Opposition believes that it is important to convene a special session of both Houses of Parliament at the earliest. This will be a powerful demonstration of our collective resolve and will to deal with the brutal terror attack in Pahalgam on innocent citizens on April 22. It is our fond hope that the session will be accordingly convened,” his letter read.
Following the attack, the Central government convened an all-party meeting chaired by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and addressed by Union Home Minister Amit Shah. Rahul Gandhi attended the meeting and extended full support to the government’s proposed actions.
The Congress party assured the government of its complete backing to take necessary steps to avenge the killings of innocent civilians in the Pahalgam terror attack.
National News
BJP leaders welcome Trump’s praise for India’s electoral system, SP smells a rat

New Delhi, Aug 18: As US President Donald Trump lauded India’s electoral system to strengthen his point for introduction of mandatory voter identification requirements in the United States, the BJP on Tuesday called it a “proud moment” for the country.
Speaking to media, BJP MP Praveen Khandelwal said, “This clearly shows how diligently, sincerely and transparently the Election Commission of India works. US President Donald Trump’s statement is a strong rebuttal to all those who repeatedly question the Election Commission of India and its functioning. They should at least understand that if the US President is praising India’s election system and the Election Commission, it demonstrates that our Election Commission works in a fair and transparent manner, leaving no room for doubt.”
BJP spokesperson R.P. Singh said, “India’s Election Commission and its electoral system are respected worldwide. The world acknowledges it as one of the best procedures. Donald Trump has now said that he wants to implement the process of voter ID cards through the SIR procedure, similar to what is done here. It’s good that both countries are learning from each other.”
Bihar Minister Ramkripal Yadav said, “Salute to Indian democracy, salute to the free Election Commission, salute to the people of Bihar, and salute to the system. Now, if America discusses India regarding elections, then it is a big thing.”
“India is giving a message to the world, and the US is appreciating it. So, it’s a proud moment. Awareness has increased, and participation is also increasing. The Election Commission has worked towards removing non-national people from the country,” he added.
However, Samajwadi Party spokesperson Ashutosh Verma disputed the BJP’s interpretation, saying, “Trump did not say that; your question is incorrect. Gyanesh Kumar said it. He asked Trump how such a large election could be conducted in the US without valid identification. The question is incorrect. You should instead ask why democracy has not come under attack in your country and why questions have not been raised about democracy there.”
“Gyanesh Kumar is going there and talking about voter IDs and all, but he is not saying that 80 per cent of people raise questions about him. So, in a democracy, there should not be one-way communication. We see that in the US, there is democracy and it is alive. Even after losing, he has chosen once again. The voting happens on ballot papers,” he added.
Samajwadi Party MP Awadhesh Prasad said, “Trump’s ideology is dangerous for our country. Because of Trump’s policies, our country’s economy has been affected. His policies have also impacted the interests of our farmers… Trump is not a person with a consistent ideology, nor is he a predictable leader. It is difficult to say what he might say or where he might turn next. Therefore, it would be in our country’s best interest to maintain a distance from him.”
US President Donald Trump cited India’s election system while giving renewed calls for the passage of the Safeguard American Voter Eligibility (SAVE) America Act, which seeks stricter citizenship requirements to vote in US elections.
Taking to his Truth Social platform, Trump recalled that India’s Chief Election Commissioner, Gyanesh Kumar, recently asked the US administration about why elections in America are held without a valid photo identification card, as he made a case for mandatory photo IDs for every US voter to curb “electoral fraud”.
“Earlier this month, India’s Chief Election Commissioner, Gyanesh Kumar, asked our Administration — How can you have Elections in the US without a valid Photo ID,” Trump wrote.
Trump made these remarks to drum up support for the SAVE America Act, which would require Americans to show proof of citizenship to register to vote, impose a nationwide voter identification requirement and severely limit voting by mail.
National News
‘Cong not only against BJP, but against country’, claims Kangana; criticises Sonia Gandhi over Vande Mataram row

BJP MP and actress Kangana Ranaut on Tuesday expressed deep concern over allegations that Congress Parliamentary Party (CPP) Chairperson Sonia Gandhi objected to the full rendition of Vande Mataram at the AICC headquarters.
Her remarks came after an alleged dramatic episode at the Congress headquarters, Indira Bhavan, on Saturday, where the full version of Vande Mataram was sung despite the party’s position that only its first two stanzas would be rendered.
Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge unfurled the Tricolour at the party headquarters during the Independence Day celebrations, following which singers began rendering Vande Mataram.
However, the singing continued through the full version of the national song despite the party’s stand to restrict the rendition to its first two stanzas.
Sonia Gandhi was reportedly the first to notice that the singers were continuing with the full version. She allegedly gestured towards Kharge and later appeared to communicate with the singers, asking them to stop.
Speaking to IANS, Kangana Ranaut said, “Vande Mataram represents the consciousness of India. As an artist, I understand the impact that art and poetry can have on people. The level of opposition and hatred shown towards it, and the efforts made to stop its rendition, are deeply concerning.”
“I will say that Congress is not only becoming anti-BJP, but also against the country,” she claimed.
Kangana Ranaut further said that the BJP has strengthened its team to address the challenges facing the country.
“Siddhivinayak and the other temples are among the protectors of our Mumbai region, and whenever we come here, we are fortunate to seek their blessings. Today is especially significant as BJP workers here presented me with a Ganpati idol,” she said.
“The BJP has strengthened its team to address the challenges we face today, including the spread of Naxal ideology and the narratives being promoted. Today, social media and reel culture have a greater influence on young people than newspapers, textbooks and parental guidance,” she added.
“To address these challenges, women and youth have been included in the team. With renewed energy, the team will work towards Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision for India by 2047,” she said.
National News
Fire breaks out on second floor of ATC building at Kolkata airport, flight operations hit

Kolkata: A sudden fire incident in the early hours of Tuesday caused widespread panic at the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International (NSCBI) Airport, Kolkata.
It is learnt that the fire broke out on the second floor of the Air Traffic Control (ATC) building at Kolkata Airport. However, due to the swift response of the firefighters and airport authorities, the fire was brought under control very quickly. At the same time, flight operations remained unaffected. The situation at present is completely normal.
According to airport staff, the security guards and other staff on duty suddenly saw flames coming out of the second floor of the ATC building at around 4 a.m.
Before they knew it, the fire started spreading to a specific part of the building in a matter of moments. The area was covered in black smoke.
As soon as the news was received, the fire station’s engines adjacent to the airport rushed to the scene. The firefighters started extinguishing the fire quickly. Since the ATC building is a sensitive and important part of the airport, no risks were taken. Several more fire engines arrived at the spot to bring the situation under control. Soon, the fire was completely brought under control within a short time due to the efforts of the firefighters. Later, cooling down work was also done so that there was no new danger from the pocket fire.
An airport official said, “The fire was mostly confined to an open area. There has been no major disruption of work or damage to ATC. There was no need to evacuate the entire building as the firefighters were quick to identify the source and contain the fire.”
An investigation has already started into the exact reason why such a fire broke out in such a secure and important high-rise building. Firefighters suspect that some decoration work was recently done on the second floor of the ATC building on Independence Day and small decorative lights were installed there.
It is suspected that the fire broke out due to the decorative lights being on for a long time or due to a short circuit in the weak wire of the decorations. However, a probe is underway to find out whether there is any other electrical or mechanical malfunction or negligence in maintenance behind this fire.
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
