Business
US initial jobless claims drop to lowest level in over 50 yrs
Initial jobless claims in the US last week fell to 184,000, marking the lowest level in more than 50 years, the Labour Department reported.
In the week ending December 4, the number of Americans filing for unemployment benefits dropped by 43,000 from the previous week’s upwardly revised level of 227,000, according to a report released on Thursday by the Department’s Bureau of LaboUr Statistics (BLS).
The latest figure was the lowest since September 6, 1969, when it was 182,000, the report noted.
The four-week moving average, a method to iron out data volatility, decreased by 21,250 to 218,750, according to the report.
The latest jobless claims report also showed that the number of people continuing to collect regular state unemployment benefits in the week ending November 27 increased by 38,000 to 1.99 million.
That number peaked in April and May last year, when it was over 20 million.
According to data released by the Labour Department last week, the US economy added 210,000 jobs in November, with the unemployment rate falling by 0.4 percentage points to 4.2 per cent.
The employment growth, far below economists’ expectations for 550,000 jobs, represented the smallest monthly gain since last December, signaling a slower pace of hiring amid uncertainty over the Covid-19 pandemic.
Business
New multi-tracking projects to boost rail infrastructure across 4 states: PM Modi

New Delhi, Aug 19: Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Wednesday that four multi-tracking projects that have been approved by the Cabinet will provide a major boost to railway infrastructure and connectivity across Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal.
These projects will have many benefits, like strengthening passenger and freight movement, reducing congestion and greater logistics efficiency. The better connectivity will also facilitate commerce and tourism in these states, PM Modi said in a post on X.
The multi-tracking projects will add important capacity to the Indian Railways network and benefit lakhs of people, he added.
The projects, which entail a total investment of Rs 9,450 crore, will be completed by 2030-31.
The projects include the Kharagpur – Bhadrak (Ranital) 4th Line across a stretch of 173 km covering West Bengal and Odisha; the second project is a 4th line from Bhadrak to Haridaspur across 75 km in Odisha, while the third is the Gummidipundi – Gudur 3rd and 4th line extending across a distance of 90 km in Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu. The fourth project is the Cuttack to Paradeep (Badabandha) 3rd and 4th lines to cover a 72 km route in Odisha.
The projects are in line with the Prime Minister’s vision of a New India, which will make people of the region “Atmanirbhar” by way of comprehensive development in the area, which will enhance employment opportunities, a statement said.
The projects are planned on the PM-Gati Shakti National Master Plan with a focus on enhancing multi-modal connectivity and logistics efficiency through integrated planning and stakeholder consultations. These projects will provide seamless connectivity for movement of people, goods and services.
The four projects covering eight districts across West Bengal, Odisha, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh will increase the existing network of Indian Railways by about 410 kms. The proposed multi-tracking projects will enhance connectivity to approximately 6,448 villages with a population of about 60 lakhs.
The proposed capacity enhancement will improve rail connectivity to several prominent tourist destinations across the country, including Kuldiha Wildlife Sanctuary, Bhitarkanika National Park, Maa Bhadrakali temple, Maa Dhamarai temple, Panchalingeswar Temple, Talsari–Udaypur and Chandipur Beach, Pulicat Lake, Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary, Lord Veeraraghava Perumal Temple, Gada Kujanga Jagannath Temple, Sarala Temple, Dhabaleswar Temple and Lalitgiri, a Buddhist site.
The proposed projects are essential routes for transportation of commodities such as coal, iron ore, cement, iron and steel, containers, automobiles and food grains.
Business
Cabinet okays key Bihar road project for Rs 3,590 crore to boost connectivity, cut congestion

New Delhi, Aug 19: In a bid to expand Bihar’s National Highway network and facilitate faster movement of goods and passengers, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA), chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on Wednesday approved the upgradation of an 82.578 km length of the Muzaffarpur-Sitamarhi-Sonbarsa Section of NH-22 to four-lane, at a total capital cost of Rs 3,590.73 crore.
The project acts as a key feeder corridor connecting the India–Nepal border at Sonbarsa with economic centres like Muzaffarpur at NH-27 (East–West Corridor).
According to the Cabinet, this will significantly reduce congestion in densely populated areas of Muzaffarpur, Muksudpur, Runni Saidpur, Thumma, Dumra, Bhutahi, and Sonbarsa.
“The Muzaffarpur–Sitamarhi–Sonbarsa stretch of NH-22 holds significant strategic and economic relevance, ensuring seamless linkage to the national freight grid,” a Cabinet communique said.
It not only enhances connectivity to industrial zones like Barauni and riverine logistics hubs but also strengthens cross-border passenger and cargo movement via the nearby Land Port at Bhithamore.
Additionally, the upgraded corridor will enhance connectivity to five PM Gati-Shakti Economic Nodes (four Industrial Estates and one Mega Food Park), four Social Nodes (Baba Garibnath Temple, Mata Janki Temple, Punaura Dham, Muzaffarpur and Sitamarhi aspirational Districts), and two Logistic Nodes (Muzaffarpur and Sitamarhi Railway Stations).
Improved connectivity will facilitate efficient movement of goods and agricultural supply chains, support regional economic growth, and provide better access to important cultural and religious destinations such as the Buddhist Circuit and historic Janaki Punaura Dham Temple, Sitamarhi.
According to the Cabinet, the project has been designed for a speed of 100 kmph with an average speed of 80 kmph, having no at-grade median openings, ensuring fast and safe travel.
Moreover, the project has provision for seven major bridges (including a 340-metre-long major bridge over the perennial Bagmati River), three Railway Over Bridges (ROBs), and two flyovers to maintain cross movement of the traffic and ensure safe, high-speed travel.
Business
Cabinet okays 4 railway projects worth Rs 9,450 crore

New Delhi, Aug 19: The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on Wednesday approved four multi-tracking railway projects with a total investment of Rs 9,450 crore, which will be completed by 2030-31.
The projects include the Kharagpur-Bhadrak (Ranital) 4th Line across a stretch of 173 km covering West Bengal and Odisha; the second project is a 4th line from Bhadrak to Haridaspur across 75 km in Odisha, while the third is the Gummidipundi-Gudur 3rd and 4th line extending across a distance of 90 km in Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu, a Cabinet communique said.
The fourth project is the Cuttack to Paradeep (Badabandha) 3rd and 4th lines to cover a 72 km route in Odisha.
The increased line capacity will significantly enhance mobility, resulting in improved operational efficiency and service reliability for Indian Railways. These multi-tracking proposals are poised to streamline operations and alleviate congestion. The projects are in line with the Prime Minister’s vision of a New India, which will make people of the region “Atmanirbhar” by way of comprehensive development in the area, which will enhance employment opportunities, the statement said.
The projects are planned on the PM-Gati Shakti National Master Plan with a focus on enhancing multi-modal connectivity and logistics efficiency through integrated planning and stakeholder consultations. These projects will provide seamless connectivity for movement of people, goods, and services.
The four projects covering eight districts across West Bengal, Odisha, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh will increase the existing network of Indian Railways by about 410 km. The proposed multi-tracking projects will enhance connectivity to approximately 6,448 villages with a population of about 60 lakh, the statement said.
The proposed capacity enhancement will improve rail connectivity to several prominent tourist destinations across the country, including the Kuldiha Wildlife Sanctuary, Bhitarkanika National Park, Maa Bhadrakali temple, Maa Dhamarai temple, Panchalingeswar Temple, Talsari–Udaypur and Chandipur Beach, Pulicat Lake, Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary, Lord Veeraraghava Perumal Temple, Gada Kujanga Jagannath Temple, Sarala Temple, Dhabaleswar Temple and Lalitgiri, a Buddhist site.
The proposed projects are essential routes for transportation of commodities such as coal, iron ore, cement, iron and steel, containers, automobiles, food grains, etc. The capacity augmentation works will result in additional freight traffic of magnitude 76 MTPA (Million Tonnes Per Annum). The Railways, being an environment-friendly and energy-efficient mode of transportation, will help both in achieving climate goals and minimising logistics cost of the country, reduce oil import ( around 13 crore litres) and lower CO2 emissions (around 65 crore kg), which is equivalent to the plantation of 2.60 crore trees, the statement added.
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
